Sign in to follow this  
Bargeral

Shift + Click to add/remove all of type with Medium Storage

Shift + Click to add/remove all of type with Medium Storage

I'm suggesting this only for Medium Storage - I think having too many shortcuts would eliminate game play and make it less fun. For example, radius pickup is not something I see as being a good idea. But the medium storage is a perfect size and has the very useful ability to feed and receive items from machines, I see it as being the perfect target for improving our ability to manage items quickly without really changing the feel of the game.

• So you pickup a (Example Resin) from your pack then hold shift when you click on the storage and it would take the one in your hand and up to seven others from your pack and put them all in the open slots on the storage. Shift clicking on any other drop spot would just drop it alone. It does not take items from any other spot than from your cursor hand-held one and backpack.
  • You Shift + click an item on the storage to pick all of that item up and either drop them or E to send all to your backpack it.  Shift + Click on any other storage type or the ground would only pick one just like now.

Edited by Bargeral
missed a word

I like your basic idea of having a "bulk move" functionality with the Medium Storage. I think it'd be a very useful quality of life improvement in the game.

But I would not use Shift + Click for this. That shortcut has an established functionality which is the same everywhere in the game. Changing it only for Medium Storage would be confusing and inconsistent. Also, that shortcut is only available when using a keyboard and mouse, but not when using a game pad/controller. As an alternative, I'd suggest utilizing one of the "Use" or "Examine" controls for this functionality. Either of these can be used with either a keyboard or a game controller, and there are even shortcuts available when using mouse and keyboard [1].

For bulk pick-up of items, you'd then hover over an item on a Medium Storage (i.e. the ring-shaped selection marker appears) and "Examine" [2] it to move all items of the same type to your backpack until it is full. For bulk placement, hold an item and move it over a Medium Storage slot such that it locks onto that slot but without actually placing it yet, then "Examine" it to move items of the same type from your backpack to the Medium Storage until it's full or all appropriate items from your backpack are transfered. So effectively, you would use Ctrl + Click instead of Shift + Click. (Utilizing "Use" instead of "Examine" would then be Alt + Click. However, there's already the "quick stash" functionality where the item you are holding is moved to your backpack by pressing E, which possibly could be confusing when "bulk pick-up" is done with press and hold E.)

Furthermore, this "bulk move" could be extended to work on whole platforms, like it does, for example, with the smelter which places smelted resource stacks on any available free slot on its platform. Or like the drill which places gathered resource stacks on any free slot on a rover that it is mounted on.

[1] Alt + Left Click for "Use", and Ctrl + Left Click for "Examine"
[2] Ctrl + Left Click, press and hold Q key, or hold Y controller button

+1

To go along with this, you might want to be able to "dedicate" Medium Storage units so that they can only hold one resource. This would cause holograms of that resource to appear. Upon clicking a hologram, the resource is transferred from your backpack to the Medium Storage unit.