gawdz0rz

Xbox One Overheated in While Opening Tech Test Planet

Recommended Posts

When opening the tech test planet, version 0.10.5.0, for the first time, my Xbox One began to overheat and actually shut down—which it’s never done before. I received a message after starting it back up (attached) that said the Xbox was designed to shut down to protect it from insufficient ventilation. Now, my Xbox is in a very open area and was recently cleaned, thus insufficient ventilation is likely not an issue. So, I wanted to submit this just in case overheating was a legitimate problem. Once I started the tech test planet back up again, my Xbox made loud roaring noises but seemed to start it up fine. 

F402DFFD-9338-413B-8840-75E41B163863.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not the game's fault - contact the device manufacturer (in this case, Microsoft).

Also consider cleaning your console:

 

Edited by Jjandrah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game in it's current state is too taxing for hardware that an Xbox One has. So without a fairly low ambient temperature, I can see it overheating.

The v1.0 release, which will bring a lot of optimization, is around the corner tho (6th February). Then it should run just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

The game in it's current state is too taxing for hardware that an Xbox One has. So without a fairly low ambient temperature, I can see it overheating.

OK it's shitty, but not that shitty! My old, not-at-all maintained Xbox ran the tech test fine for as long as I wanted to play it, crafting various modules and venturing to the core. I'm in Australia, ambient temparture isn't ever fairly low! 

It didn't run well, but I don't recall noting the fans spinning up during my play (rarely happens outside of rdr2) so it seems that this is a user-specific issue. It's possible the fans could have kicked in though, I just remember lots of stuttering. 

@gawdz0rz please note that if your console has been properly cleaned, also the power supply/brick can also cause this issue as well as issue with heat detection or other hardware issue in the console. I'd try running a heavy-hitting game for a bit, but there's no sure-fire way to stress test your console. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jjandrah said:

This is not the game's fault - contact the device manufacturer (in this case, Microsoft).

Also consider cleaning your console:

 

I said in my initial post I recently cleaned my console, but thank you. 

13 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

The game in it's current state is too taxing for hardware that an Xbox One has. So without a fairly low ambient temperature, I can see it overheating.

The v1.0 release, which will bring a lot of optimization, is around the corner tho (6th February). Then it should run just fine.

It’s not too taxing at all. My Xbox has run games like The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 without issue, so if those games aren’t causing problems, then this one definitely shouldn’t considering it’s much less demanding. 

12 hours ago, Blind Io said:

OK it's shitty, but not that shitty! My old, not-at-all maintained Xbox ran the tech test fine for as long as I wanted to play it, crafting various modules and venturing to the core. I'm in Australia, ambient temparture isn't ever fairly low! 

It didn't run well, but I don't recall noting the fans spinning up during my play (rarely happens outside of rdr2) so it seems that this is a user-specific issue. It's possible the fans could have kicked in though, I just remember lots of stuttering. 

@gawdz0rz please note that if your console has been properly cleaned, also the power supply/brick can also cause this issue as well as issue with heat detection or other hardware issue in the console. I'd try running a heavy-hitting game for a bit, but there's no sure-fire way to stress test your console. 

 

 

 

 

 

The game runs fine now with only a very occasional roar, but otherwise it doesn’t freeze, overheat, or anything like that. It does lag just slightly when the backpack is open, though. Still, the only problem regarding overheating was with the initial boot up of the tech test planet, but nothing else.

I will, however, take a look at the power supply/brick now that you mention it. Thanks for that.

As for running a heavy-hitting game on it, I’ve been running The Witcher 3 on it for the past few days and it’s been doing just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me note that it depends on what exactly you do in this game. Currently Astroneer has the potential to eat a near endless amount of hardware resources. Try to dig up a whole planet, you'll see what I mean.
Games like The Witcher 3 do not have procedural, deformable planets. They're pretty much set in a static world. Always remember that different games often use different technologies. 

Of course, in this particular case it also could be just a different issue altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now