I have an idea for a new type of flora for the game. It is like a big flower with 4 flaps that open up at night. Inside, there is a researchable object that emits light. The light goes out if you pick it up but it can be researched for about 2000 bytes. They grow mostly in the flatlands so they are easy to spot if you are far away. Another of their features is that they have several sacs at their base. Each has a 'Use' function that adds a small amount of oxygen to your tank. These sacs grow back after 5 minutes. If you kill them, they explode with acidic gas like an Exploder but give 3 seeds that can be planted to grow another plant. Please let me know what you think.

I like the idea of a bioluminescent plant.  It would look quite beautiful on the landscape!

Having them grow small, useful game items is fun, and consequences for their destruction is always entertaining.

I’m liking it a lot so +1 but maybe during night it produces sacs of oxygen and during the day it produces sacks of organic that last exceptionally longer then normal bits of organic 

Thank you for the positive comments!

On 1/10/2019 at 12:12 AM, Davenaut said:

consequences for their destruction is always entertaining.

XD

On 1/10/2019 at 1:34 PM, Rebelord said:

maybe during night it produces sacs of oxygen and during the day it produces sacks of organic that last exceptionally longer then normal bits of organic 

I would like the oxygen sacs to be there at all times. There are already enough plants that give Organic but, to hint that it is a plant, it would need to somehow give Organic. Does anyone have any other ideas?

On 1/9/2019 at 10:12 PM, Davenaut said:

I like the idea of a bioluminescent plant.  It would look quite beautiful on the landscape!

Having them grow small, useful game items is fun, and consequences for their destruction is always entertaining.

Now all I can think of is sitting at the top of a mountain as the sun sets and watching the plains light up with hundreds of glow plants. Legit made me smile In the middle of math. Please add, devs! +1

Untitled-1.thumb.png.0b085e848b93135e7eafe214a2caa597.png

As requested I made a quick model describing some of the things you mentioned. (This is only for concept. This model would need to be altered a little to fit better with the game art style. Sorry for any inconvenience but I hope the visual helps a bit.)

@KillerShadow115, thank you SO much. As you mentioned, it does need some work. (not trying to criticize you or anything; I honestly love it!) I was thinking of a less flower-like object with bigger petals that somewhat fit together. For colors, visualize red petals with a yellow outer rim. You got the base part spot on. The next thing I would work on is making it match the art style more like Astroneer's. Again, I would like to thank you SO much for helping me with my idea.

@CopperyMarrow15 

I probably won’t be revisiting this any time soon, but if you send me some sketches of how you would like it I will save it. Any sketches will make it easier for me and I could work on it again when I get free time.

Also the programs I use is Maya 2018, Z brush, substance painter/ designer, and photoshop. (gave up blender for the industry standard which it Maya.)

On 1/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, KillerShadow115 said:

I probably won’t be revisiting this any time soon, but if you send me some sketches of how you would like it I will save it. Any sketches will make it easier for me and I could work on it again when I get free time.

I might sketch something with Microsoft Paint.

Here’s my idea of how the plant is going down so far:

1. At night the pedals open and inside is a glowing yellow part that can be removed for bytes

2. If the glow pod is removed the plant shrivels up and dies (possibly causing the oxygen pods on the side to ignite making a noticeable explosion)

3. The glow pod is worth a hefty amount of bytes

4. There are little pods on the side that can be used to gain oxygen which slowly refill (also the things that go BOOM)

5. Probably lives on exotic

Lots of plants got added in 1.0, so this suggestion will probably be disregarded for a bit. It may be revisited later. For you flora geeks, go play with the new plants, the few I’ve seen so far are cool!

On 2/4/2019 at 11:37 AM, Rebelord said:

Here’s my idea of how the plant is going down so far:

1. At night the pedals open and inside is a glowing yellow part that can be removed for bytes

2. If the glow pod is removed the plant shrivels up and dies (possibly causing the oxygen pods on the side to ignite making a noticeable explosion)

4. There are little pods on the side that can be used to gain oxygen which slowly refill (also the things that go BOOM)

6. Pops like an exploder

7. Releases seeds when unburied if researchable is still inside

8. Researchable vanishes when unburied and still inside

9. Will not give seeds if researchable is removed

In other words, you must choose between 1 researchable in a short amount of time or 2 researchables in a great amount of time.

Number 2 makes sense! I did not think of that.

(Made a few edits)

1. At night the pedals open and inside is a glowing yellow part that can be removed for bytes

2. If the glow pod (just a use item so it disappears not one to put in station) is removed the plant shrivels up and dies (possibly causing the oxygen pods on the side to ignite making a noticeable explosion)

6. Oxygen pods Pop like an exploder (your still left with the sad husk of a once pretty plant, you monster)

7. Releases seed(just one like all the others in 1.0) when unburied if researchable is still inside that grows into a follow on research pod is planted

8. Glow pod vanishes when dug up and the pod is still inside

On 2/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, Rebelord said:

(Made a few edits)

1. At night the pedals open and inside is a glowing yellow part that can be removed for bytes

2. If the glow pod (just a use item so it disappears not one to put in station) is removed the plant shrivels up and dies (possibly causing the oxygen pods on the side to ignite making a noticeable explosion)

6. Oxygen pods Pop like an exploder (your still left with the sad husk of a once pretty plant, you monster)

7. Releases seed(just one like all the others in 1.0) when unburied if researchable is still inside that grows into a follow on research pod is planted

8. Glow pod vanishes when dug up and the pod is still inside

an addition to 4:

4. There are little pods on the side that can be used to gain oxygen which slowly refill as their blue color is emphasized more greatly, consumed in the same way Research Samples are scanned (also the things that go BOOM)

a great gameplay balance! I think it would go awesome in a Vesania cave like the new changed one! They would look nice on the surface of Novus. Imagine running around from plant to plant in search for a resource or your base!

On 1/22/2019 at 4:51 AM, KillerShadow115 said:

Untitled-1.thumb.png.0b085e848b93135e7eafe214a2caa597.png

As requested I made a quick model describing some of the things you mentioned. (This is only for concept. This model would need to be altered a little to fit better with the game art style. Sorry for any inconvenience but I hope the visual helps a bit.)

This +1 This!