Sign in to follow this  
Flyingcrowbar

0.10.5.0 – Steam – Terrain Tech Test gripes

This may not be the right place or format for this, but I need to mention a few things that I have found and feel are issues that should be addressed with this new terrain generation engine. I also want to state, before I start, that I realize that these items may be particular to the world that I got and are totally at the mercy of some random number generator. That being said, I generally like what I am seeing. HOWEVER, the mountains that completely surround the plain where my base is located are far too steep, are covered with too many rocks, and usually come to razor sharp ridge tops. These slopes are too steep to walk up and since there was a Mountain goat available (My name for the small rover) I tried to drive up the slopes since that thing will almost climb a vertical slope. If I could negotiate these rock strewn  slopes to get to the top, the very sharp tops of the mountains almost always high-centered my rover. In the areas where the mountains had a flat top the vegetation, in the form of trees, was so thick that you could barely walk among them and getting the rover through was nearly impossible.Was it the point that I should not have been trying to get beyond the little valley that I started in?

Lets talk about the caves in the Terrain Tech Test (TTT). I really like the marble like boulders that can be excavated from many places in the cave walls. Seeing them roll away as I dig them out is pretty cool and a nice touch. However, the dead-fall pits and size of the rock formations make spelunking a dangerous and overly challenging  proposal. There were also several areas where Harpo, my Astroneer, fell through the ground and I had to scramble to avoid death by asphyxiation. 

All in all, I liked the challenge and was able to get beyond the mountains, but I had to do it by going through one of the caves, so maybe "under, not over" was the key. I am going to continue to explore the world of the TTT. I'm not saying that the worlds should be as flat as a billiard table, but I can't see how you would be able to build a base and explore an entire planet with the way things are set up now. On a final note. The description on the Resource Plinth was a hoot! I seriously doubt that it's cheating when the developer gives you one to begin with, but I would be liketo be able to find one of those things in the bottom of some remote deep dark cave in the main game. That could possibly be the ultimate treasure discovery of the whole game. Thank you for all your efforts and for offering us the opportunity to comment on the continuing development of your game. I have not had this much fun trying to avoid dying for a long long time.