SES_joe

Update 0.10.5 - November 14, 2018

3 hours ago, spinlock_1977 said:

For a production creative mode, here are my suggestions:

Why do you want to restrict creative mode like that? This does not make sense. If you want restrictions, then restrict your game, please, instead of having them implemented for everybody.

Really, it is quite simple to do:

• The plinth gives all basic materials, but none that are products of the smelter or chem lab.  You'd have to build/use these to get secondary materials.

Take only basic materials from the plinth, and ignore everything else.

• The plinth still gives astronium, or something similar that gives slow / large research value.  You still have to research, but you don't have to forage for researchables.
  • No free bytes.  Or maybe just 1,000 or so.  You still have to build / operate research modules.

Do not use the gifted amount of bytes. Instead, use only the bytes that you researched yourself or the research that you can gain from Astronium.

• No free power from the plinth. You'll have to build power generation capabilities.

Do not use any power from the plinth.

6 hours ago, spinlock_1977 said:

I've spent a few hours in the Terrain 2.0 moon, and here are my thoughts:

• Planet surface sucks for driving - got frustrated, wiped my save, started over.

Yes it is completely useless on this planet because of the sharp landscape and poor physics from the buggy, no fun at all, this is a complete fail imho. And custom steering isn't even working. The fact that such basic things are still broken makes me wonder if some additional 6 weeks can be enough for them to release a polished 1.0, I don't think they can do this to be honest. The next big worry is the performance hit from Terrain 2.0, yes I'm aware the new planet may be unoptimized but the performance degradation is immense and they were praising Terrain 2.0 for the much improved performance over the old Terrain months ago, once again I doubt they can do this till 1.0. Render distance isn't even great for some objects, there are some severe detail pop ups.

Where is this terrain 2.0 moon? If they are talking about Barren I don't see any difference from the previous version. I went to Exotic and it too is the same as the previous update.

56 minutes ago, pbartbar said:

Where is this terrain 2.0 moon? If they are talking about Barren I don't see any difference from the previous version. I went to Exotic and it too is the same as the previous update.

It's not in the normal game. You have to select it from the space station. It's on the left side next to the tutorial.

ok, so i'm back again. i'm nothing if not inconsistent.

On 11/18/2018 at 3:39 AM, Allan said:

Bron. You already own the game. They aren't asking you to buy another one. You will get 1.0 when it's ready. 

i'm not so sure. maybe i am wrong , but the general tone of SES_joe's initial comment in this thread seemed to heavily imply that they were 'drawing a line' under the pre-alpha releases of this game and effectively starting again with the release of the 1.0 game. the emphasis he puts on how different and varied and new it is, combined with the emphasis placed on the pricing point for the game's release, strongly suggests that the policy is to leave the early adopters with the 'pre-alpha' game as it stands, as this is the game we payed for, and to market the 1.0 new terrain game as a new purchase.

economically, this would make some sense. the community built up here is a pre-existing market for the game, and if they (we) can be monetised correctly the initial release phase would receive a built-in financial boost. outside of the early adopters, the buzz about Astroneer doesn't seem too strong, and they will need to finance a marketing campaign to reach a lot more people if they hope to make their game sell.

for some time I've suspected that this policy has been the reason behind their reticence to let their early adopters play with any of the later newer content. it cant be because it doesn't need play-testing (the new moon severely proves that). the only theory that fits the existing evidence is that they want us to want it, therefore they want us to pay for it, above and beyond what we have already payed.

the stupid thing is that i get it. in other circumstances, ones where we had not been cut off from the creative development food chain, i might have been happy to answer a request from the devs that, as an early adopter and fan of the game, i might cough up some extra dough to get them off the ground. i understand that games don't get made or sold on fresh air.

maybe i'm wrong. it would be nice to think i was. but if i'm wrong, i only have one other theory to explain why they wouldn't let any of the new stuff into the hands of their unpaid game testers, and it doesn't bear thinking about.

perhaps the new stuff just isn't that good.

Welcome back Bron :D

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:51 AM, SES_joe said:

This also includes around a years worth of completely free content updates.

The way I read it, they're going to "draw the line" at the 1-year post-release mark, and then start charging for updates/ new content (if they tried to charge us for the release version of the game we paid for, I'm pretty sure that would be an actionable violation of the purchase agreement, or something along those lines)

Edited by Abram Jablonski

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, spinlock_1977 said:

I've spent a few hours in the Terrain 2.0 moon, and here are my thoughts:

• LOVE create mode / plinth! More on that below
  • Planet surface sucks for driving - got frustrated, wiped my save, started over.
  • Caves suck for driving - didn't even bother trying after seeing Z1 Gaming explore them
  • The lack of storms is  a hugely refreshing change!!!
  • In general, I like the previous planets better. Even more, if they were storm-free.

For a production creative mode, here are my suggestions:

• The plinth gives all basic materials, but none that are products of the smelter or chem lab.  You'd have to build/use these to get secondary materials.
  • The plinth still gives astronium, or something similar that gives slow / large research value.  You still have to research, but you don't have to forage for researchables.
  • No free power from the plinth. You'll have to build power generation capabilities.
  • No free bytes.  Or maybe just 1,000 or so.  You still have to build / operate research modules.

I'm starting to agree more and more, that the original planets were much more fun.  This new one is a mess.

There is power from the plinth, in the form of all the resin you need to make power all you want, and yes you got a ton of free bytes.  Go look in the unlock tool again.   Plenty of free bytes on the test planet.

All updates will be "free" (you paid for the whole product after all). The issue is that, for some twisted reasons, a good amount of people using the internet have started to assume that there's a thing such as "paid updates". That's probably because DLC's have become a common thing, and people mix up DLC's with content updates (although some greedy companies did try to sell a unfinished games with half it's content locked behind paid DLC's). So SES is trying to clarify that this won't happen.

Personally, I don't like this approach either, and it seems to backfire to some degree because people are wondering if there's any implications. On the other hand, god knows how many people don't ask exactly because they clarify it is free.

On 11/18/2018 at 3:26 PM, Marck said:

Why do you want to restrict creative mode like that? This does not make sense. If you want restrictions, then restrict your game, please, instead of having them implemented for everybody.

Really, it is quite simple to do:

Take only basic materials from the plinth, and ignore everything else.

Do not use the gifted amount of bytes. Instead, use only the bytes that you researched yourself or the research that you can gain from Astronium.

Do not use any power from the plinth.

Yeah, you're right.  I was thinking the same things after I posted.  Free everything!  Make your own restraints.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:36 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Eh, just wait I'd say. First 2/6/19 is no guarantee. I'd bet nothing on the game being released that date. I'd bet a lot there will be 'issues' that will arise between now and 2/6/19 that postpone the launch. 

Second the release will be riddled with bugs. Every update has been thus far and I have no reason to believe terrain 2.0 is a magic bullet. So it will be months and months before bugs are worked out. By that time it will be summer and there will be a sale at some point which will bring the price back down into the teens again. 
Or just wait until black friday 2019 and get it half price then. 
Third, I would not pay a full price increase  for this game. No way, no how. If I did not already own the game I would highly consider buying the game in the future but there is no way in hell I'd pay $29.99 for it. They'd get my money but it would be on sale, not full (soon to be raised $10) price that's fer sure. 

I always value your feedback when I am reading the forums in different sections, but I gotta say, it is always the saltiest!

On 11/18/2018 at 9:31 PM, twayney said:

It's not in the normal game. You have to select it from the space station. It's on the left side next to the tutorial.

Oh yeah. Checked it out. A big nothing burger. The terrain is pretty rough and the new vegetation is kind of cool but until it's ready for prime time it's blah.

This is undoubtedly the weakest, least featured and most dissapointing update so far. This update is a spit in the eye to everyone who waited so patiently while SES skipped another update. I feel used and dirty.

Thanks SES for nothing, I see now, this close to 1.0 how little we mean to you.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:37 AM, Allan said:

Their latest video addressed this question directly. It'll be free. It also answered the "why can't we see the coming content?" question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjgPP4deMoo

thanks, Allan, for pointing me at this. don't know how i managed to miss this, but there's a lesson for me. always go check every bit of release data before making assumptions. d'oh!

i'm sure the SES guys are pretty straight up about stuff. if they say i will pay no more, then i have no reason to doubt that.

still, i did feel that there was a level of waffling in that interview regarding their reasoning for holding back on new content. updates were slow because the game was live? really? i've seen other game developers do regular updates whilst not breaking the game for the players. but, perhaps they were not attempting something as dramatically different and radical as 1.0 is being held up as being. we wont know until we actually see the content, so roll on Feb. let's see if ASTRONEER: THE SEQUEL is more a toy story 2 than a Matrix reloaded, mmm?

glad my faith in the future of the game could be restored, somewhat. sticking around now seem more like a fun idea than it did before.

Straight up. If, as an alpha player, I don't get the 1.0 release, I WILL get it for free. come sue me, I have no money and your'e being very large d*cks.

However these guys don't much seem like d*cks. The team have promised that we will get it in the past, so I'm not too concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see what its like, however unless there's a lot they have been keeping secret from us, I already feel like the jump to 1.0 will be pretty underwhelming to the end user who isn't affected by lack of performance optimizations. Feels like i'm still waiting for six updates in the future to implement all the features I'm excited for, just like when I bought the game this time last year. Which is fine. Minecraft, which I cant help but draw some parallels to, is in its what, 9th year of development? it's been out of beta for 7 and still getting updates and even additional gameplay elements added regularly. Yes it got sold off to Microsoft in that time, but to be honest if this game is still being worked on a decade later I hope it's not all the same people working on it, for sanity's sake.

The biggest mistake Mojang made when developing Minecraft(cough~besides java~cough) was taking so long to natively allow mods. I see them being desirable as Astro gains traction upon release. Sandbox games need at least cheats, but ideally they need a system for mods, otherwise people will either get bored and stop playing or hack together their own way to play anyways.

I hope Astro follows this path to some extent, because even now you can do everything in the game in pretty short order. I see lots of room for base building augmentations, that absolutely killer idea for a rail system, a real creative mode instead of a specially created world file, and most importantly access to some ones and zeros. The ability to do whatever UE4 is capable of would be really fun to mess with, but understandable if that's not really feasible to lock down to a state that's not steal-able. I always thought the planets should have gravity relative to their volume of diggable terrain for example. If I had access to an editor, I could make the changes to fit my play style in seconds.

Anyway, the test moon actually runs better on my 7500u/940mx laptop than the old planets, I can crank everything up to medium at 1080p now with 40ish fps. Used to keep 'er all on low and 1600x900. It's still under 50 on my 3930k/HD7970 desktop with same settings, so definitely some optimizations to be done for full performance on some hardware.

Keep it up guys, this is still my new favorite game going on a year straight, here's to another (or eight)!

After playing around a bit with the test planet; I have to say, if this is the performance the game engine produce per now and in  terrain 2.0, it wont work.

The game is a bit laggy from start here, much slower than the "old" planets.

My computers specs: 
I play on steam, with Windows 10. 
CPU is Intel i5-6500, GPU is Radeon RX 480. 
32 GB RAM. 

Logitech G110 keyboard, Logitech trackball instead of mouse. 

Also, the terrain is broken. I started digging and this happens all the time: I cant dig and just a tiny arrow appear, and if I walk on the patches I cant dig, I fall through the planet and is tossed up again an in the air.

Besides that, the test planet is pretty-ish, but impossible to travel by any vehicle, its too messy.

No! 1.png

No! 2.png

My two cents on Astroneer in general, and on the latest update.

I love Astroneer. I bought two copies so I could play with my son, who loves it as much as I do. We both love it for the same reason. It's the exploration, and the sense of novelty that comes with it. He becomes almost giddy when he is able to research something new and then craft it.

The alpha version has been quite playable. My only complaint is that the game frame rates are much slower than I anticipated on my son's machine. I've got a Ryzen5/GTX1060 system, so mine does ok, although even then sometimes it gets quite laggy. His machine is slower than mine, and although he's been pretty tolerant, I know he'd enjoy it better with better FPS. I've noticed that this gets worse with two things: total time spent in a particular world, and time in a given session. The second gets better if I exit to desktop and restart. The first only seems to get better by creating a new world.

Things I would reallllly like to see in the future:

1) All the things on your list of future content on Trello! I love the idea of where you're headed. Water? Check! AI-driven fauna? Love it. Farming and automation? Awesome!

2) Creative mode: When you make this, I'd love a creative mode where game parameters are fully adjustable on world creation. Terrain smoothness, mountain presence and size, cave and tunnel sizes, clutter and vegetation prevalence, etc. If we're given tools to customize our worlds, think of the fun we'll have posting screenshots of the cool things we found!

2a) If a modicum of world-creation control were available to survival players, it might help people have more variety in their game play, or be used to reduce lag for players with older machines.

3) Mod support: My son and I have played Minecraft for YEARS because of the community for mods. I get that you're a small team, and new content is HARD. Let us help!

3) Difficulty levels: a slider on survival world creation that adjusts the world's resources and/or terrain (and/or fauna agressiveness!) to make it more or less challenging.

4) RAM slider: I don't know much about programming, but I do know that the game doesn't seem to use much RAM, even when I'm hosting multiplayer with my son. I've got plenty to spare, so if you'd let me select a greater amount to dedicate to the game, I'd happily do so.

5) Terrain tool mods: I love the ones I've got, but my OCD would really like to be able to build more straight structures. A terrain tool mod with a circular adjustment wheel that let me adjust the angle in, oh say 30 degree increments would be really cool.

While you're doing all these awesome work, just please remember that frame rate issues destroy the game regardless of how much time and effort you've put into making all the rest of the cool content. I've got a friend at work who I convinced to buy a copy as well, and while he loves the game, his system is a little slower than my son's and he's kinda of frustrated with the FPS.

Kudos:

To whoever did the music and the sound effects, they are beyond awesome. They are an integral part of my enjoyment of this game.

To the designers of the flora: I actually enjoyed dying over and over as I discovered all the inventive ways the plants have to kill you. Also, the balloon-plants in the test world scared the bejeezus out of me...probably because I was so conditioned to plants killing you.

To the terrain designers: Being able to shape the terrain like clay is immensely satisfying. Thank you especially for solving the block-angst I developed while playing Minecraft.

Keep up the good work!

I'm disappointed by the news following the latest patch.

I've played the game on and off the first year, but the last year I have only tested it out a few times. I sort of enjoyed the fact that rovers finally got proper steering, but the last many patches broke so many things that I always thought... "Ok, I'll play when the next patch hits the game." I guess the game has not even been in a playable state for several months now ...

Anyway...

My primary reason for not playing was that I was waiting for being able to play with my friends on a proper dedicated server.

However it seems like we're getting screwed on that specific part:

1. The Trello task about dedicated servers, was suddenly moved to "released feature"... however we don't have it.

2. Patch notes mention that dedicated servers, which was supposed to be a thing 6 months ago, are now something that "might" come after 1.0 has been released.

3. Forum posts mention that dedicated servers will now begin as 3'rd party servers. That's just plain stupid!
Reasons:
A .I just want to run one myself on my LAN, and enjoy the nice ping.
B. With only 3-4 players, it's not like I need a server running at a data center, costing me money. It will stay unused 95% of the time anyway. (Because we only play a few nights a week.)
C. Astroneer is a cozy game that fits well to casual older gamers like myself. Are we the types that buy a server at a datacenter? NO.

So the situation is that I have several friends sitting with money in their hands... just waiting for us  to play. But as soon as this feature is not ready... guess what?
NO MONEY FOR YOU SYSTEM ERA!

I had not started playing Astroneer until this most recent alpha. I haven't found it too difficult to get up to owning a large shuttle. Since it's my first time, I'm focusing on the experience now and having loads of fun, but I'll try to hunt for more bugs as time goes by towards the full 1.0 launch.

I would like to say that I enjoy the creative mode. Go one more step with creative mode and allow us to start on any of the planets (even any secret ones? ...)  Just put a spoiler note to play creative mode at your own risk. Don't restrict anything - players can choose if they want to use it or not.

Thanks and looking forward to new discoveries and surprises in the full launch or post release. Maybe a separate hard mode in which some (creepy) fauna can chase you around and wreck parts of your base.

Also hoping for a Linux release. Cheers and take care, devs!