SES_joe

Update 0.10.5 - November 14, 2018

So let me get this straight:

1. There will be no beta testing period (open or closed) whatsoever.
  2. We will be going straight to release from alpha.
  3. There will not be any stress tests (or tests of any kind) on dedicated servers, new Terrain 2.0 procedurally-generated planets, or any of the newer systems.
  4. We will not be able to provide any feedback on any new features until after launch.

All for the sake of what, surprises upon release? Riiiight. The only surprising thing will be actually getting the game in February and at least 60% bug-free. What's SES so afraid of?

I watched the so-called "meaty" Q&A video. 25 minutes of rambling about why the game will not be released on schedule can hardly be called that. I'm sure there are many, many really "meaty" questions from the community that needed answering. Probably you would need a whole afternoon for that Q&A. Here's a thought: make it a live stream instead of a recording...

I think whoever is advising SES on marketing strategies is doing such a poor job...

Agreed - if it was more like it used to be (about and encouraging exploration), I'd be willing to pay $20 for it; if it was better than it used to be, I might even shell out $30...  but I'd probably wait for it to go on sale.

As it is now, I'd wait for 1.0, see what community feedback is like, wait for the bugs to be fixed, etc.

12 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

So let me get this straight:

1. There will be no beta testing period (open or closed) whatsoever.
  2. We will be going straight to release from alpha.
  3. There will not be any stress tests (or tests of any kind) on dedicated servers, new Terrain 2.0 procedurally-generated planets, or any of the newer systems.
  4. We will not be able to provide any feedback on any new features until after launch.

All for the sake of what, surprises upon release? Riiiight. The only surprising thing will be actually getting the game in February and at least 60% bug-free. What's SES so afraid of?

I watched the so-called "meaty" Q&A video. 25 minutes of rambling about why the game will not be released on schedule can hardly be called that. I'm sure there are many, many really "meaty" questions from the community that needed answering. Probably you would need a whole afternoon for that Q&A. Here's a thought: make it a live stream instead of a recording...

I think whoever is advising SES on marketing strategies is doing such a poor job...

Unless they just mean no new content updates before release, as opposed to bug-fixing updates? Some clarification would be helpful as the wording is slightly ambiguous 

I just accessed the new Planet/Moon.  I have a pretty robust computer, the graphics were not quite fluid.  In leveling off an area around the Home Base, It got very slow.

Might just be me, but I am using Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM, a Radeon 4GB Video Card and an Intel i9 Chip.  Seemed very strained.

Cool graphics though!

As I understood it they were very clear in a previous video that this is the last for Alpha version. They are 100% concentrated on 1.0 now and will not be doing anything more to the Alpha.

The new moon is Terrain 2.0 but as they also said it is not optimised. So you will have lag and hot cards. Personally I hope the performance improves greatly as the laptop I've run the Alpha on is very stuttery on the new moon. I'm hopeful.

Feedback is still asked for but it goes towards 1.0, not improvements to the Alpha.

That's how I have understood things at least.

Edited by Allan

The only thing I'm sad about is not getting my hands on that sweet, sweet 1.0 as early as December.

Then we look at AAA companies and their rushed games... I'm happy to wait a bit longer for better quality.

Looking forward to the release!! :D

There is a bug that when you carry a unknown item to research on the lab. Sometimes it goes under the surface (disappears) and you cannot get it back so thats very bad because i want to earn bytes not to lose them. Please fix this. FYI  :)

I would love if you guys kept "creative mode" in the game after 1.0 releases! The incredible amount of change this game has me impressed over the 2 years i have been playing for. Keep it up devs!

Here's my feedback on the new moon, if anyone is interested:

1. I would have liked having a regular game setup where I didn't have everything at my disposal. Having all the bytes to unlock everything and that gadget that gives you unlimited resources just ruined the experience for me. Basically we're just meant to hop on the buggy, drive around and sightsee, which leads me to my second point.
  2. Driving around the new terrain is horrible, at least on what was provided to us. Even on relatively "leveled" ground the buggy shakes like crazy. And forget about driving through a forest. Rocks and trees just make it impossible to traverse. The poor Astroneer must feel like Ace Ventura driving around the "jungle":  38RjGH.gif
  3. Did not find a single wreckage or abandoned base of any kind in about half an hour of driving around. Nothing to explore, just landscape and caves.
  4. Landscape is kind of meh also. Don't like too much the art direction they're taking regarding rocks. Some look like giant planks of something stacked one on top of the other. The forest terrain was riddled with rock formations and deep holes with steep walls.
  5. Didn't explore the cave systems much. I was so annoyed by the driving experience that I just turned off the game after about half an hour.

If you were looking for kudos from me, I'm not sorry to disappoint. Harsh criticism is what makes things great. If we condone, justify and applaud mediocrity, that's all we will get. I'm not one to do any of those things. I have given props before to the devs at SES and I will continue to give it whenever they deserve it, but this is not the case right now. This update feels rushed and done just to get it out of the way. After two months from the previous update, we should have had proper Terrain 2.0 planets and dedicated servers to test, not a stripped down version of the PAX demo, especially since the full game was originally meant to be released in December.

I think SES missed a great opportunity here to keep our attention leading up to the "February" release. If you don't mind starting new saves over and over with the same old content for "three" more months while SES decides to release the game, good for you, I guess. As for me, I'm sadly shelving the game once again until it finally releases.

This coming 3-month content drought is going to ultimately hurt the game, in my opinion...

Edited by vvhorus

I played Astroneer a few months ago but had to stop after my co-op world became unplayable due to frame drops... has this been fixed/will it be fixed by launch? I'd like to play again but it was impossible to do so after a few hours on a world when I first tried.

I like the approach for a creative mode that is used for the Terrain Tech Test, i.e. providing a resource plinth and a starting amount of bytes which covers nearly all research needed for obtaining every blueprint. I like it especially for the fact that it is implemented within the game instead of as a (menu) setting outside of the actual game.

This even allows you to disable creative mode by using dynamite to destroy the one-of-a-kind resource plinth. Maybe there could also be a one-of-a-kind research sample which gives you the 100000 bytes only when you examine it. This would allow you to also remove it with dynamite, in case you do not want to play in creative mode. For the time being, I have no problem to simply ignore the gift and only use the bytes that I researched myself, i.e. those exceeding the amount of 100000. With this setup, the starting conditions are even a little more challenging than those we know from the terrain 1.0 game, especially when you also abandon the initially provided small rover.

As stated, I'll agree with these assertions about this release.

1. The wind "wafts" are larger, and quite annoying now.  They were neat originally, now they just annoy and get in the way.

2. The new test moon terrain is a tad annoying too.  Too busy on the scape or land, but not busy enough in plant base in some cases.  The cave is really annoying.  Something in between the old terrain and the new terrain builds might be much more playable.

On the good side.  The game seems to be getting tweaked even better (non-new moon mode) and smoother in some cases.  Resource placement makes a bit more sense on the startup.  Something easier, some harder but in the right order as you'd expect.  This release just made me more anxious for the final.

Ballance is needed more than anything.

Speaking of balance, your balance is not my balance is not his balance is not hers....  The game needs play settings on a map startup.  Tweak the settings to get the game balance that makes the most sense to the individual player.  I've said this many times.  It's more important now than ever.

Edited by Nargg

Just now, pbartbar said:

Well I'll be damned if they didn't crank up the storms again with this release.

This is what I mean by settings on the start of a map.  Let the player decide how much storm is too much or not enough.  THAT increases playability infinitely. 

Xbox One System:

I was wondering since I bought the game for 19.95 through Xbox one does this I have to pay the 29.99 price. seems a little unfair to me. since I been playing the game since it came out?

10 hours ago, Brad Owens said:

Xbox One System:

I was wondering since I bought the game for 19.95 through Xbox one does this I have to pay the 29.99 price. seems a little unfair to me. since I been playing the game since it came out?

You already own the game. You'd only pay again if you buy it again. 

I see you still haven't fixed the error in the initial configuration file read at program startup when the local system of the user uses a comma as decimal separator.

Sure hope you will address this before the next year release.

so, here we are at last. the end of a long and bumpy road, that started with a sparse, open, beautiful looking world full of opportunity and potential, and concludes now with an ugly, garish, cumbersome world without even the questionable pleasures of a complex grind. progress?

only time will tell. time, and the paying of the cost of this game once more. many of us thought we were paying for a great game when we stumped up our cash in that early phase. we didnt know it then, but we were in fact paying to soak test a game-style mechanism, reporting bugs and correcting gameplay errors because we had faith that the game will be worth the effort. after all that free input, we were left with the decayed husk of a game, neither playable as a game nor upgradeable, not even configurable by the community. the best of this game has been stripped away, and will now inform something they are calling a 'release version', with a new terrain system, new graphics engine, and all the great new content we had such great hope for. progress?

i'm angry. angry that these fellows think they can pay us off with a frankly lacklustre suit freebie and a 'preview' of the new system that, by their own admission, is no preview at all - seriously, this new moon has so many caveats attached to it i don't know what to take from it. the awful rendering? the regressive navigation? the cumbersome vehicle control? the flaky sound, the unnavigable (and therefore unexplorable) landscape? what's the point of commenting at all if any or all of it could be deemed 'only basic, it will be different in the release'? no, this new moon is actually worse than nothing.

will i be buying the 'release'? dunno. not at the full price. where's my money off voucher?

this could well be my last post here, and on this topic. it's been a ride, guys. most of you have been great, truly excellent people whose smart thinking and time and effort deserves more. i salute you.

but im gone.

Bron. You already own the game. They aren't asking you to buy another one. You will get 1.0 when it's ready.

The new moon is only a sample. A completely unoptimised test moon. Feel free to ignore it if you want because it wasn't intended to be "the game". I didn't like the landscape either, but it wasn't intended to be all there was.

You signed up as a tester with an alpha version. The full game is yet to come.

11 hours ago, Bron said:

but im gone.

Wow...  Bron?  Really?  Up until this post, my impression was that you were the ever-hopeful sort that had faith that SES would turn it around and fulfill all that awesome potential so many of us saw at the beginning (often, contradicting my own negative perspective with some version of "just be patient and see how things turn out").  Seeing you post something like this makes me sad.  I do understand, and agree on many of your points, but...  I'm sorry that you've kinda lost hope - maybe 1.0 (or post-release patches) will live up to the faith you've given SES?

2 hours ago, Allan said:

You signed up as a tester with an alpha version.

No - none of us "signed up" as testers.  We bought the Early Access version, to fund the development of the full game, because we saw something that we were willing to take a risk on...  (Bron: stop reading now) Any of us who are disappointed that SES changed some/many/most of the things that the game used to have, are fully-entitled to say "I paid for this, and was shown something awesome and promised even more of that, and you've turned it into something less-original and less-engaging and less-fun and less-interesting and... just plain less, because you took all that awesome, original stuff - which I paid for - out of the game"

I've spent a few hours in the Terrain 2.0 moon, and here are my thoughts:

• LOVE create mode / plinth! More on that below
  • Planet surface sucks for driving - got frustrated, wiped my save, started over.
  • Caves suck for driving - didn't even bother trying after seeing Z1 Gaming explore them
  • The lack of storms is  a hugely refreshing change!!!
  • In general, I like the previous planets better. Even more, if they were storm-free.

For a production creative mode, here are my suggestions:

• The plinth gives all basic materials, but none that are products of the smelter or chem lab.  You'd have to build/use these to get secondary materials.
  • The plinth still gives astronium, or something similar that gives slow / large research value.  You still have to research, but you don't have to forage for researchables.
  • No free power from the plinth. You'll have to build power generation capabilities.
  • No free bytes.  Or maybe just 1,000 or so.  You still have to build / operate research modules.