Sign in to follow this  
technopeon

Landing zones on planets should all be flat

When probes and other spacecraft are sent to other planets / moons, landing zones are scouted to make sure they are flat then one is picked.  The terrain generator should be creating the flat landing zones and making those available to land on when you are in orbit.  It seems like the LZ's are random now except for the start on Terran.  Real shuttles would have sensors like optical and radar to scout LZ's.

A very well observed point! However, what if there wasn't sufficient 'flat' ground generated? You could have a deployable landing structure...

Flat, you want flat? Well that would just be too easy. I have a pod on barren that is upside-down, because it rolled downhill just as I deployed it. It was a PITA, but now I'm used to it, and it looks hilarious, especially when Harpo, my Astroneer, is sitting in there. I had my wife take a look at it and asked her the old "What's wrong with this picture?" question. She got a big kick out of it. No way to fix it now, so I'm just dealing with it. Besides, it will all be ancient history when the next update rolls out and these saves are junk.

Edited by Flyingcrowbar