Sign in to follow this  
Wary Explorer

Fun and interesting things to do

What is on your fun/interesting list of things to do in Astroneer?

Here are a two things I like to do:

• Mobile base - Done this many times. Train of large rovers (max 4). I like to have 2 research modules, smelter, then add whatever you want. Run around during the day gathering research pods from wrecks or trees...explore caves with only the lead rover while leaving your train of rovers on the surface. With this setup you are always researching pods. I use a small generator with lots of organic (8 will run all night) to power the lead rover while exploring caves. My lead rover just has two large storage and around 4 medium storage on it (attach seat to front of rover). Drop beacons as you go so you can find your way back to base. Something important here. You can run your rover with organic and small generator during day as well if you are smelting or otherwise draining your power. Just attach the small generator to a medium storage filled with organic to your lead rover and you can pull your train of rovers while smelting, shredding, etc...
  • North Pole Base - This is actually really fun and a couple of my more fond memories. Use your compass (point at your feet to see) to get to the exact north (or south) pole. Both times I did this I was on a mountain. Build up a ramp and flatten an area above the mountain for a base. Use two platform D's back to back lined with medium solar power on both sides. If  you have it set correctly you will have power all the time. Now build your base around it! Then built a shuttle and hopped back and forth between both bases. I did use a mobile base to get to the north pole. 

I usually try to accomplish things.

Gather one of every type of research pod
Craft 100 diamonds
Have 8 of every raw resource/smelted resource/chem lab etc.
Collect 25 or 50 or 100 of my favorite research pods

Then I will play ways that limit what I can do.

Can only use single use thrusters 
Can't use rovers
Can't die
Can't use more than "X" amount of tethers
Can only gather certain gasses on certain planets

Then I will play just creative mode
I pretend that I'm building a space force to defeat @Martin so I construct 10 or 15 of the small shuttles. They are my tie-fighters. Then 15 or so Medium Shuttles, those are used to land devastating blows to @Martin's base and then finally about 15 or so Large Shuttles to just totally annihilate @Martin's world!

Then sometimes I will pretend that I'm building a transportation hub for the solar system. Much like the shuttles I build multiples of rovers and design them in a way that it looks like a big warehouse with many dock type doors etc. Some are built like tractor trailers others are smaller. Then I outfit them with different equipment types for different missions. Some have multiple drill heads while other tractor trailers can just carry resources while still others carry power etc.

Then sometimes I would build 15 or 20 or 30 or more research chambers and fill them all with a pod. Then run as fast as I can turning them all on as quickly as I can. It is fun because I try to balance power yet not have any chambers stop working or have a billion kilowatts of excess energy either. 

I've also placed my power sources very high in the sky! I place all my solar panels higher than storms can go. 

Since it is fall and it is pumpkin and corn maze time I was just currently working on a maze using the small platform and large wind turbines. I am just building a simple square design however I could see how people that were far more creative and artistic than I could come up with some really unique corn maze type things. 

They call this passive - aggression or something.. I build all my stuff underground.. just like the jedi.. so you'll need a deathstar if you want to kill my world.

31 minutes ago, Martin said:

They call this passive - aggression or something.. I build all my stuff underground.. just like the jedi.. so you'll need a deathstar if you want to kill my world.

Raises and shakes fist at sky and screams............"MARTIN!!!!!!" 

27 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Raises and shakes fist at sky and screams............"MARTIN!!!!!!" 

That reminded me when comedian Gabriel Iglesias yells his friend's name in his jokes!! ?

I like him, the fat mexican.. he's right too.. eating fat is bad for you, but eating sugar is far worse.  Pies is ok, Cakes is death for fat people.

So I tried several times to build the monster truck by combining two medium rovers with cables front and back. I gave up after 30 minutes or so of securing both rovers before cabling. The "pull" of those cables was just too strong and pulled the rovers in line from where I had them folded in half. I could do better securing the rovers in place and I will try again most likely but I got distracted after half an hour of trying to make it work.