KingMonkey

Astroneer: The Search for Hydrazine

So I am finding myself spending a lot of time hunting for ammonium. I think ammonium is now the most valuable resource in the game. Hopefully the next patch will make acquiring ammonium/hydrazine easier. I just spent an hour scouring caves for ammonium. I struck out and logged off. Ammonium has defeated me again.

I can relate so i recommend the trading platform for now. I do understand why its so hard to get now just so people don’t want to use fuel as much and are more likely to build bases on planets instead of constantly planet jumping, but i feel that it should be craftable in chem station.

The chemical formula is NH4

maybe in the future we can get liquids and separate these down to chemicals uses a electrolysis machine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process

Well what do you know!? Somebody already came up with a solution to this. How about combining Nitrogen and Hydrogen gas to make some ammonia, then converting the ammonia into hydrazine? I think you'd have to ferry one set of gas canisters to another planet because both gases are unavailable together at any one planet. That would help with making any one resource OP or too abundant. The Wikipedia article talks about using iron as a catalyst, adding to the need to go to multiple planets before you would be able to create your own ammonia.

edit: You could also make the electricity requirement to run the process at full speed burdensome, maybe like 8 medium solar panels worth of electricity.

Alternatively, you could allow the soil condenser to be able to make ammonium again, but increase the dirt requirement. Perhaps a full load of soil makes 1 ammonia.

Edited by KingMonkey

I think it would be a bad idea to make it so you can get it from the soil extractor just becuase you can trade instead and the extractor makes things WAY too easy.