SES_joe

SES Vlog 032 - Half Of A Planet, New Minerals, The Goonies

Having two completely separate build sets for games is very old school.  And, not very efficient.  Too bad SES didn't do it correctly and have just one build set and release it more as modern gamers expect out of a class AAA game.  Not the hide and seek stuff like they are currently doing.

5 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What up SES? 

They apparently don't read the forums any more...  Talked about in many previous threads around the forum.  They are stuck on Discord now and refuse to come here it seems.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:36 AM, Nargg said:

They apparently don't read the forums any more...  Talked about in many previous threads around the forum.  They are stuck on Discord now and refuse to come here it seems.

They've never replied a lot on the forums, and they're usually just on Discord during breaks, while looking for some quick testers or while a build is compiling. None of those things are really suitable for activity on the forums (as they require a quick response or are too short).
Them not replying doesn't mean they don't read, though. I also read a good amount of stuff without replying to it.

And btw:

On 10/29/2018 at 7:18 PM, Nargg said:

Having two completely separate build sets for games is very old school.  And, not very efficient.  Too bad SES didn't do it correctly and have just one build set and release it more as modern gamers expect out of a class AAA game.  Not the hide and seek stuff like they are currently doing.

It's not an AAA game, nor is SES an AAA studio. So I guess that argument is void.
Although I must question what kind of experience you have in game development to call such methods "old school" anyway.

Is this game still alive? Where are the updates? I stopped playing pre-release, cause there is no progress in the game. It feels like waiting forever for 1.0 and no news on anything new or something to look forward to. What's going on guys?

On 11/1/2018 at 9:46 PM, Wyvyrias said:

It's not an AAA game, nor is SES an AAA studio. So I guess that argument is void.

Although I must question what kind of experience you have in game development to call such methods "old school" anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.  Very appreciated.  I've over 30 years experience in development.  So, I not only know old school, I am old school.

Bottom line, after 1 year supporting this title buying 3 copies personally and pushing it to countless others IRL and online.  I've come to the realization that this "alpha" release, which really never became "beta", yet is near release was nothing more than a sleight of hand method attempt at advertising.  Quite a smart move IMHO, if not downright brilliant.  But frustrating to those who feel they were jumping into an adventure beyond the game.  We started out with weekly releases, moved to bi-weekly, then an on and off monthly.  Now we are two months into the current "alpha" release.  Doesn't seem right by standards I'm used to.  

I've been on game testing groups, both open and closed, since the 1980's, and used to the weekly if almost daily releases as the game pushed closer to release with a full set of gameplay mechanics.  So, yes I'm a bit disappointed at this method.  It was not what I was expecting.  Was it bad?  No, not really.  But odd and kind of a downer in the end.  Fingers crossed that SES pulls a rabbit out of their hat on the final release to give the game wings again.  Right now, I can reach game-end in a matter of a few hours, some can do much faster.  Replayability is still good for now.  Hopefully, they find ways to make replayability even better with more hidden gems.  Or, the dialing of game mechanics on the start of a new save, which is what makes a "sandbox" game truly sandbox after all.

2 hours ago, Mirosya said:

Nothing until December - sleep peacefully, dear friend.

Their blog stated one more pre-release before the final in December.

Edited by Nargg

At some point the last update doesn't even make sense so close to version 1.0. Since mid July we have got only one minor and one bigger update, really disappointing how early access has evolved over the last months.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:01 PM, mikk said:

At some point the last update doesn't even make sense so close to version 1.0. Since mid July we have got only one minor and one bigger update, really disappointing how early access has evolved over the last months.

Astroneer now has a release date, February 6th, 2019!

https://youtu.be/sO2cIlXcHZU

No wonder the update is so late in November because the game has been delayed. This reflects the slow update progress and delays of bigger features in EA, not that surprising after all.

Edited by mikk

3 hours ago, mikk said:

Astroneer now has a release date, February 6th, 2019!

https://youtu.be/sO2cIlXcHZU

Hysterical! ?
And the waiting continues..........

So will all those items that were "cut" be able to be put into the game now that the release is pushed back? Or will those things remain removed? 

I love that the only ones that matter are the developers and marketing only! We the customer? The customer is not in the equation? WOW! Where you at SES? (before the 8 minute mark)
And the price is going up? $29.99? I love that those that were waiting until 1.0 to come out to purchase will have to pay $29.99! Told ya'll to join early access and not wait! You waited? You pay more! 

Watching the rest of the vid now

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

32 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

?

So will all those items that were "cut" be able to be put into the game now that the release is pushed back?

There is a new QA video, the answer is No. They need additional time for polish and bugfixing.

Where can I purchase a crate? Since I can't have a full release until February can I get a crate for Christmas? 
Where/who manufactured them? Wouldn't that company like to sell more? 
Why can't I purchase a crate or two?