papa

beacons are kind of useless

Posted (edited)

beacons don't have very good rang from a distance you cant see them and i get that the planets it round so you cant see it but i think that the becon should show on the side of the screen pointing to the place of the beacon and also compasses should be on top of the screen it only makes sense

(yes i know my drawing is bad i use Microsoft paint)

Untitled.png

Edited by papa

I greatly disagree. I admit that beacons are easy to lose track of, but thanks to beacons, I was able to go fully around a planet and find my base again. I also disagree with the constant compass from Fallout with beacons always being displayed. I rather like the fact that the HUD remains clean and that players can get lost in a game about exploring and research. Instead of taking away one of the challenges of getting lost by just displaying beacons constantly with a compass, I would suggest a more prepared/interactive idea.

The player is able to create a little drone that can take up one of the top backpack slots. This drone has it's own one directional battery that drains power from the backpack to charge, and then cannot power anything other than the drone itself. Once activated, the player enters first person view with the drone and is able to fly around. This aids in exploration and allows for the player to get up high to where the drone can see where beacons are located in case the player gets lost. However, it will be important to get the drone back to the player before the battery runs out or else the player will need to find the crashed drone and stick it back in its charging station on their backpack. I was kind of saving this idea for my own space game a few of my devs and I were inspired by Astroneer to create, but if they want to do it too, go for it.

I agree with Draconis about the challenge of not getting lost, and I think the beacons are very useful when used within their limits. I have so many beacons laid out on my home planet that having them all display on a HUD would be confusing and pointless. I would like to see the ability to bring up the compass somehow while in the driver's seat of a rover though. I like the drone idea as well, draconis, but wouldn't having a drone available reduce the challenge of planetary exploration as well? It seems like the why figure out how to get to the top of that mountain when I can just fly a drone up there situation.

Already solved in Planet Nomads: beacons can be taken off map/compass.  Having a visual-only thing off in the distance would probably work fine in Astroneer.  And one at your base that you can always see would be very very nice.

Or give that function to habitats or something?

2 hours ago, papa said:

i haven't found my base for 4 hours

Assuming you're trying to find your starter base on Terran, then try follow the big band of stars that are around the centre of the planet running in a East-West direction. That is generally where the first base is - somewhere along the East-West circumference of the planet.

When using Beacons, it is recommended that you make several and place one down every time you are about to lose sight of the one before it. That way you have a chain of beacons to follow back home. And because Beacons only cost 1 raw Quartz the materials can be found as you are exploring and are easy enough to make from your backpack without needing a smelter.

5 hours ago, handofthesly said:

Assuming you're trying to find your starter base on Terran, then try follow the big band of stars that are around the centre of the planet running in a East-West direction. That is generally where the first base is - somewhere along the East-West circumference of the planet.

When using Beacons, it is recommended that you make several and place one down every time you are about to lose sight of the one before it. That way you have a chain of beacons to follow back home. And because Beacons only cost 1 raw Quartz the materials can be found as you are exploring and are easy enough to make from your backpack without needing a smelter.

that's been my use of them for too long now... along with color-coding which direction they're heading, so i know which way to follow the breadcrumbs if i stumble upon the beacon trail at a mid-point during some other exploration later. nothing like running into an old beacon trail and following it the wrong way for an hour before realizing it

On 10/12/2018 at 12:33 AM, 101101110111 said:

color-coding which direction they're heading

Yes, I do that too. Very helpful tip

I do red beacons heading to the north pole, blue to the south, green to the east and purple to the west - because Californians are weird and crazy.

Beacons are cheap. Just use more than one to track your way. Shortly before your home beacon disappears behind the horizon, place another one.
And maybe color code it to your liking.

My color codes:
Blue: Base or shuttle
Green: Rover
Pink: Cave with resources or still unexplored parts
Red: Landing zone or cave with no more stuff or generally "never visit again" spot.
Other colors are used for waypoints when I go far away from my base or shuttle.
It's not that bad.

Edited by Shabazza