Need to way speed planet rotations

Sitting in a small shuttle at exotic (which was one jump from terran)....and having to wait 5 minutes for terran to come into range, it a waste of everyone's time.

next trip, tundra was right beside terran so I went.  Wanted to come back and wait 5 minutes and could not get back.  So I went to exoctic (I had an extra booster).  I am now at 5 min waiting for terran.  Before you could planet hop but with small shuttle and limited thrusters, sitting here wanting to come home and no way to do it is frustrating.

I've asked many times for "dialable" settings for gameplay.  This would be one that would fit into that category.  Many aspects of the game could be changeable on a saved game session basis, storms, speed of planets, amount of resources, difficulty with hazards, fuel consumption, air consumption, etc etc etc.

It was on the roadmap at one time but seems to have slipped off.  :(

Edited by Nargg

I would beg to differ on this, shuttles should have a certain range or a ring of range similar to the current ring that reaches to Sol. For example, the small shuttle would have a very small radius, limiting its range to barren and any other planets that comes into range. This would limit you to Tundra or Exotic and this also means that you'll have to wait a long time for those planets to come into range. If you're using the hydrazine thruster, the range would be a little bit bigger, maybe reaching out to Arid. The large shuttle would have the largest radius that could reach across the system but would also depend on its fuel reserves. Range consumption could be shown by hovering over a planet, it would indicate how much hydrazine would be consumed if you travel to that planet.

In my opinion this makes more sense than the current system. I know for myself, I can't stand having a full tank of hydrazine on my large shuttle and having to wait for Tundra to come into range.

7 hours ago, Nargg said:

I've asked many times for "dialable" settings for gameplay.  This would be one that would fit into that category.  Many aspects of the game could be changeable on a saved game session basis, storms, speed of planets, amount of resources, difficulty with hazards, fuel consumption, air consumption, etc etc etc.

It was on the roadmap at one time but seems to have slipped off.  :(

I think this kind of thing has been bundled under Creative Mode for now. They're certainly excited about that...

We might get some finer difficulty controls in terms of consumption etc, and it might be possible for us to 'dial in' resources/hazards in the future. The latter requires more control over terrain generation than they've shown any interest in giving, though. 

once again, my point regarding wasted time in the game remains true. there's nothing wrong with having to wait out storms or planetary orbit cycles, as long as you can get on with something else whilst you wait. with orbits, there's nothing stopping you from doing more crafting or a bit more exploring before the planet swings by again. just dont launch until you see it in the sky.

storms, on the other hand, are time killers. if the base was an active place, with the ability to do stuff during storms, the wait would be irrelevant.

i personally like to spend storm time in caves - at least i can get on with stuff down there.

actually, barren is fast becoming my home base of choice - it's quiet, it's loaded with lithium and wolframite, it's handy for the shops - i mean, for launches to tundra to get iron. there are no storms and i can work all day there.

13 hours ago, Bron said:

once again, my point regarding wasted time in the game remains true. there's nothing wrong with having to wait out storms or planetary orbit cycles, as long as you can get on with something else whilst you wait. with orbits, there's nothing stopping you from doing more crafting or a bit more exploring before the planet swings by again. just dont launch until you see it in the sky.

storms, on the other hand, are time killers. if the base was an active place, with the ability to do stuff during storms, the wait would be irrelevant.

i personally like to spend storm time in caves - at least i can get on with stuff down there.

actually, barren is fast becoming my home base of choice - it's quiet, it's loaded with lithium and wolframite, it's handy for the shops - i mean, for launches to tundra to get iron. there are no storms and i can work all day there.

In real life, sure there is nothing wrong with waiting out planetary orbit cycles however this is a game. Waiting 5 minutes in space for a planet to come into range due to the fact that I can't planet jump because I have a rocket that will fire only once. And everything is stopping me from crafting. I can't craft anything whilst floating in space waiting for a planet to come into range. Plus, I'm out of things to craft which is why I want to get to another planet to begin with. 

The game is 400+ years into the future, I'm having to look to the heavens for a planet? How is it that in 1969 people knew when planets in our solar system would be in view but 400 years into the future, no? We can't know? So we are just going to make another excuse for SES?

I'm ready to fly now, wait let me spend 5 minutes looking up for the planet I want to fly to comes into range. Or I can take off and wait in space for 5 minutes for the planet to come into range. Either way, 5 mins be 5 mins.

Sometimes depending on what side of the parent you are on at the time can prevent you from seeing the approach of the planet entirely.

The option that sounds best imho is have something similar to the research catalog where you have a pop out screen from the backpack that displays the orbits of the planets. Nothing fancy, could even just be a basic display like the loading screen that shows the planets as dots rotating around in a circle. That way you can see whereabouts the planets are in relation to each other. Maybe have upgrades later on that tracks the speed/time until planet alignment etc.

4F4A1CD3-6498-4151-ABD1-0A53BFEFA966.jpeg

FCD861C5-6603-4B80-B692-2496CF70DFBA.jpeg

Love some of the ideas in this thread. ?

Personally I think the overall game-play of space ships is a waist of gameplay and should be overhauled. There is very little interaction with flying at all and its just not challenging or fun flying around. Although I like the idea of limiting flight distance as an extra challenge I would like to do some actual manual flying. We could then add content such as rare meteors to try and catch for rare minerals or the chance of bonus content or the rare planet that pops by at times. Extra features and gameplay!

I think it's all about progression design, in the beginning.. there was darkness.. and god couldn't see bugger all.. he'd (she'd) walk around (maybe it is a trans.. who identifies as "them", I dunno) anyhow, stumbling around in the darkness must have gotten annoying, so god made light.. it's simple progression.. it is annoying having to wait for planets to get into range even in a game.

What I think we need is more progressive technology, so medium shuttles, the fueled one, can maybe jump to 50% the radius of the system, big ships can jump anywhere, but the rocket shuttle can only jump planet to planet.   That way as you progress, you aren't requiring a slider in menu to just cheat your way through the game by speeding everything up, planets and moons blurring past you in the sky, which btw would probably make you sick as a dog/skunk/it networking engineer.  You would progress..

That's why we research is to progress, so we should actually progress logically.. not just build bigger but has same range.. which isn't progression it's more like standing still whilst being occupied.

Can you imagine God just standing on Pluto, which isn't a planet apparently anymore.. freezing his/her/thems nuts off (?) just waiting for saturn to come into view so they could jump across? No.. not me either.. they'd research a better way.. of crossing space and time.

Edited by Martin
  • 2 weeks later...

there is definitely plenty wrong with the planet hopping mechanism in Astroneer, but i don't believe the implementation of orbits is one of them. OK, nobody likes sitting in their spacecraft waiting for a planet to get in range, it's dull and frustrating, but if you're in that position at all it's because you launched at the wrong time. the addition of a 'Fast Forward' control on the orbits is incredibly counter-intuitive - if you can push the planets around when you want to, you may as well not have orbits at all - just put em all equidistant from each other and forget trying to create a compelling simulation of space travel. Space travel is all about picking your moment and knowing your launch window.

a better solution for this might be to be able to build an observatory, or launch a series of orbital satellites, that will relay back to you information about the positions of the planets and give you 'green lights' for good launch windows on each planet. that would provide more mission based objectives for players to undertake and expand the game creatively. it would certainly make up for the player's inability to look up at the planets properly in the game!

no, my major gripe about planet-hopping is the landing spots. i don't really know what they are for - why are my landing choices being limited in this way? it feels very much like a throwback to the earlier versions of the game - these blue domes should have gone the way of the random research system or fixed platforms by now. with more flexible base-building being the way a lot of players like to go now, isn't it time that a better method for landing choice was devised? something that involves an informed choice, rather simply picking a spot at random?

my preferred method might be to have the Astroneer initially build and launch a probe to his chosen planet. this probe will orbit that world and send back a single preferred landing site based upon terrain and resources available. the Astroneer's first landing spot is that site - but in order to land elsewhere he has to explore the surface first and  put down 'landing site' markers (maybe like beacons, but they need power and take up 2 slots). these beacons show up from orbit as landing spots, and mark your exploration of the planet too.

what i'm looking for is a mechanism that feels like a genuine progression of exploration - at the moment i still feel like i'm piggy backing on some pre-existing choices about the best landing sites rather than making my own decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Normally, I get annoyed with dumb complaints, but I'm throwing my lot in with the 'waiting for planets to align' crew. I posted a screenshot about a month ago in that particular forum. All of the planets decided to align in a straight line and nothing came anywhere near me. It was a loooooooong wait to finally get moving again. That's what YouTube is for, I guess. I have a huge monitor - I just put a browser window to half of the screen and voila - YouTube & can still watch for when a planet comes in to range.