I understand that the player can simply hover the selector over their character to pull out a compass, but sometimes the player doesn't want to get out of the vehicle or would like to multitask and take a quick peek at what direction they are facing while doing a chore.
Adding a simple compass that can be placed on a single slot that would display the direction facing from the slot on the backpack/socket and then also translate to being displayed overhead while operating a vehicle or hovering around a planet in space to have general cardinal direction while the character is not available would be a great addition.

It costs resources, and takes up an item slot - much like a light, battery, O2 canister, or mod. It greater emphasizes the limited storage mechanic and adds yet another choice for players to somewhat customize their character and playstyle with their load-out.

That is a well thought out idea for an item that many people have been hoping for. I was thinking of some sort of "heads-up" display onn the rovers, but your solution seems to cover all the possibilities. I hope the SES folks take this one and run with it.

5 hours ago, Rebelord said:

What if you could hover the cursor over the truck and it will do the same compass?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, Astroneer is a game about taking chances, making preparations, and weighing the cost of comfort, easement, and surviving. The slots on the player's backpack are limited. Each piece filled with an item means less open slots for scavenging. Some players prefer to have an extra oxygen tank, power generating source, battery, light, soil capsule, or even mods for their terraformer. None are necessary to play the game, but each provide a comfort and easement at the cost of a precious inventory slot.

It also seems to me as though knowing your cardinal direction was a mechanic made by the design team as one that the player would need to manually check by hovering over their player, instead of simply providing a constant compass at the player's feet. It seems like the design team wanted players to be able to sometimes get lost - another reason why they made beacons. If you did not prepare with a beacon, nor keep an eye on your compass, you could find yourself in a very devastating situation. It also seems to me as though storms passing by were meant to visually impair the player as not only viewing distance is made shorter, but the player loses track of beacons and even gets shoved around in vehicles. Providing a straight counter by making it as simple as hovering over your car to know exactly where to go in a storm seems to defeat that purpose.

The idea behind the compass is not only to provide utility at the cost of resources and a valuable backpack slot, but to also help multitask. Instead of needing to put away your terraformer and hovering your selector over yourself, you have a compass on your pack that shows you which direction you are facing. This gives players a chance to accomplish two tasks at once by being able to glance at your compass on your pack while mindlessly terraforming some resources. Even if hovering over the car to see your cardinal direction was not going against their design, or if easement of gameplay was not meant to come at the cost of resources and backpack slots, having the ability to multitask with a compass item while still keeping the HUD relatively clean appeals to me.