Idea: Soil Filled Molds!

PrimalByte

Very, very few of us are unable to build flat surfaces and soil construct hasn't really taken off in the game. We need to be able to build large structures with ease and the best way to aid players will be to introduce a mold system. As a researchable item molds could transform this game to the levels of Minecraft creativity. Imagine being able to select a square flat surface which could be rotated in all axis and when confirming the location gets filled with soil from your canisters. Also you could introduce concrete or steel in the constructions depending how high and heavy the structure is.

Also concrete could be used to stop boulders and plants appearing on player flattened surfaces. (Roadmap has water, so with clay and sand.. Maybe!)

You can them open this to Steam Workshop so players can share and download creations direct into their game (Depending if all the materials and research the player has achieved/collected).     

The soil manipulation is the main feature of the game, so why doesn't it appear in the Roadmap for further development?

I whole-heartedly agree with you, Primal Byte (kool username btw). There absolutely should be mold mods for the terrain tool. But not just a square one. We need the 3 basic shapes: cube, polyhedron (pyramid), & sphere. With these, building possibilities would be endless & easy for anyone. 

At the very least, the alignment mod needs to be fixed & actually make flat surfaces, not that semi-flat garbo. I want an alignment mod that makes me feel like Morty did when Rick showed him how to make a perfectly flat surface. ?

Please devs, for the love of organized astroneers everywhere, do this. 

Edited by MAJOR WOODS

do you know, i thought i'd thought of everything this game might include, but somehow i'd missed this idea..... and it's a goodie. nice one, PrimalByte!

your molds could fit onto the tool socket, and give you a 'hologram' for placement, rotation, etc. if youre not packing enough soil in your pack, the hologram would be red like the ones they have now for a 'no go' result. once set, a new key option could 'blow' soil instead of 'sucking' it, into the mold, and up she goes!

on the basis that these shapes wont be things you can pick up and move around (they will ultimately be part of the terrain), careful positioning would be key.

i don't see any reason why you couldn't do this right now with the existing tool-set, and a few small tweaks.

gets my vote.

Believe it or not it has been suggested before. As a matter of fact if you have seen something in another game that could possibly fit into this one, it has been suggested before. Remember this game was released in 12/16 so it would be extremely difficult to post a "new" idea. Not impossible but difficult.