Candor

Is it just me???

Ok, is it just me or does the new update feel like a waste of time and resources? I get and understand the idea to have to go to other planets to gather resources, and for the most part I like that idea. The problem stems from the fact there are now SO many resources needed that it takes literally forever to get enough resources gathered. Copper and iron, for instance, seem to be like luxury items now. Power generation is a pain. Going to other planets now requires me to waste more resources than I can gather to make it worth while. 

I find myself running around more often than not, using tons of tethers (goodbye compound) to gather the basics such as resin. So I am forced to build a build a vehicle bay, which now requires me to gather resources that I was currently hunting for other projects. 3 resin for a  platform of any decent size? Iron for the more advanced platforms? I can't seem to find enough of these items to get what I need. The trading platform only uses scrap?? Bad idea in my opinion. 

I guess what I really am trying to say is that while I like the idea and way the game is headed it just seems WAY too unbalanced. I feel  more like they are trying to push out newer content rather than fixing problems that still exist from earlier versions. 

The large rover for example. That thing INHALES power. I spend more time trying to keep that damn thing powered than I do exploring sometimes. What good does a large rover do us if I have to take up 2 slots for a seat, 2 slots for a large solar panel that is barely enough to power the rover let alone a large scrapper, which takes up another 2 slots, which I need to get resources on some planets that don't have certain materials? So basically I need to build a train of these things, which wastes MORE power, MORE resources that are already hard to get in some instances. And seriously... BRAKES!!!! how about some damn brakes on these rovers? Why is it when I get out of a rover a storm wont budge the damn thing but as soon as I enter it moves all over the damn place. Going down a steep hill is almost neigh on impossible to stop by reversing direction.  Tethers still float mysteriously in the air when dropped, there is no mapping function yet.

Again, I really like the game, but I find myself being drawn to it less and less now. I can't seem to play for any length of time since it just seems I am just spinning my wheels and not getting anywhere. Anyone else out there feel this way or am I just being over objective to how the game is progressing. 

Candor

For the rovers, I never run with less than 2 unless I'm just exploring, even then 2 is good for grabbing research and other 2-slot items scattered about. It seems a lot more comfortable navigating a 4 rover train around than it used to, but the cost of 4, plus everything on them is really steep now. I worry that it may be off-putting to the more casual players, but it is still early access, so maybe it will round off in the end. The way I look at it isn't just as a work in progress, but merely systems testing.Anyway,  I usually do a train of 4 with 1 or 2 shredders. This means a medium storage with 4 small solar and 4 small wind on the front, 2 medium wind up top and 2 or 3 medium batteries. I've been doing this method for a while from doing mobile bases before shredders came around. As for the uncontrollable parking brake, I just take the chair off the rover and then sit in it to wait out a storm. Illogical from an IRL view, but a solution nonetheless. As far as resources and forced exploring, this already fit into my play style anyway. Sometimes I ignored other planets for weird projects on Terra, but not often. I'm actually glad they make it necessary and more difficult, it was getting a little stale after 1000 hours lol and now, with the new resource system and modules surrounding them, I can finally see a fun challenging game emerging from what was before just a fun, artsy zenscape with an hour or two of technical play to open up all the tools. At the end of it all, I try not to judge the balance of the system too much, because we are still unaware of the end result, but it's probably still useful to them to get this kind of feedback since the Devs DO have context that we lack.

also, terrain 2.0 is going to be wildly different from what we have now apparently, so issues like floating tethers etc. should be a non-issue soon. I'm so excited for it!!!