The Touch of Grey Gamer

Extenders vs Splitter

Why should I use one over the other?

TBH, I've never ever once (in nearly 800 hours of play) felt the need to split power. Maybe I don't build bases in a way that would require more power to go left rathar right? 
Also, I've never felt the need extend anything unless I am building an underground base. I think. 

Which leads me to believe I'm using/thinking of these two items incorrectly? 
Is it that my power supply is in such good order that I don't need to split power?
Is it that the splitter is for future use?

I will use the splitter if I want to lengthen my base or spread platforms apart. I think they look better than extenders but I don't use them to split power.

What do ya'll use them fer?

Posted (edited)

The only reason I use them is to ensure my smelter doesn't suck all the power from my research, printers, etc. However, you cannot regulate how much power goes each direction so it becomes wildly inefficient when you are not using your smelter and 50% of your power is useless so I end up managing the power manually anyway. They do look cool and it was fun in the beginning to monitor how much power was going to my base.

I use the extenders primarily when moving my base underground...and sometimes building a lane in between platforms for my rovers to drive between.

Edited by Wary Explorer

I've found splitters to be kind of worthless in my games. A platform can split whatever input from power sources, and they're bi-directional. Never felt the need to regulate power, either.

Extenders, however, have been pretty useful...

The splitters, I only ever make them for show really.  Just a one off for the hell of it.  Extenders I use quite alot as I often build bases on places like arid and exotic, with solar complexs on surface, with power leading down to caves below.

This is precisely why I think that most platform plugs should be unidirectional.

It would make people actually think about their planning, and design the base.  Instead of just spamming platforms everywhere and putting anything anywhere.

15 hours ago, TehSmoo said:

This is precisely why I think that most platform plugs should be unidirectional.

It would make people actually think about their planning, and design the base.  Instead of just spamming platforms everywhere and putting anything anywhere.

I disagree. There's nothing wrong with how platforms currently distribute power. Plus, I don't think that won't really change much the way players build their bases right now. You could still spam platforms everywhere as long as you have a centralized power area...

5 hours ago, vvhorus said:

I disagree. There's nothing wrong with how platforms currently distribute power. Plus, I don't think that won't really change much the way players build their bases right now. You could still spam platforms everywhere as long as you have a centralized power area...

Yessss, and if you have a centralized power area, you have designed the base to have one.  It requires a little bit of brainpower and presents the player with the question "how do I best design this base to meet my needs?"

Instead of just "make a bunch of platforms and cross-connect everything without thinking at all."

1 hour ago, TehSmoo said:

Yessss, and if you have a centralized power area, you have designed the base to have one.  It requires a little bit of brainpower and presents the player with the question "how do I best design this base to meet my needs?"

Instead of just "make a bunch of platforms and cross-connect everything without thinking at all."

I'm one of those who doesn't "think it all" when it comes to base design. I usually go with the flow of the terrain in which I land, and if I find an abandoned base with a landing platform, forget about it. I have a few "design" (if you can call them that) templates that I have used fairly often because they work for me: an "A" shape with the habitat being at the top, a snowflake pattern, platforms in a straight/curved row, two parallel rows with platforms backing each other, or in a square/rectangular shape.

8 hours ago, vvhorus said:

I'm one of those who doesn't "think it all" when it comes to base design. I usually go with the flow of the terrain in which I land, and if I find an abandoned base with a landing platform, forget about it. I have a few "design" (if you can call them that) templates that I have used fairly often because they work for me: an "A" shape with the habitat being at the top, a snowflake pattern, platforms in a straight/curved row, two parallel rows with platforms backing each other, or in a square/rectangular shape.

Well, extrapolate it out a ways.  One direction... you could  just have a wireless power system.  Slap a pole down, and power is shared between anything in a large radius, no plugs at all.  Link something at the edge to something in another pole AOE, and it links all together.  Zero thought and effort required other than getting things in a general vicinity.  (Ignoring the "lockdown" that platforms do when you plug them around.)

Convenient, sure.  But takes almost no planning, and has no charm.

Extrapolate the other way- every plug is directional.  Bases are frankly almost a pain to set up, splitters and extensions become worth using.  You have to plan stuff out and make sure things have power.

Probably... somewhere in the middle is optimal.  Having a few premium devices that use bidirectional connections, but default platforms use directional plugs.  Perhaps an upgrade item that deploys into a platform and upgrades the plugs?  You place it on a platform and unpack it, it animates, sinks in, and despawns, and the plugs upgrade.  A nearly optional item sink, simply trading materials for convenience.  Absorbing player time into (hopefully) interesting planning.

That IS the point of any game- absorbing player time in an entertaining manner.  Astroneer certainly doesn't do this via the usual stopgap of wanton murder, but base planning is a very good option.  Along with resource gathering.

4 hours ago, TehSmoo said:

Well, extrapolate it out a ways.  One direction... you could  just have a wireless power system. 

Well, the game takes place 400+ years into the future. In 400 years will humans still be using 1901 electrical technology? In 400 years will humans that travel in space still be using plugs and outlets?
Residue from storms never ever hampers plugs? 
A plug never needs maintenance?

And again, 400+ years into the future, traveling in space, landing on another planet, traveling to additional planets....... that sure is a lot of tech (wow) yet we still use plugs? Out of doors? They never get debris in them, they never need maintenance or repair they never fail..... I'm just hoping that come December SES would have worked with an electrician or electrical engineer to develop a complex yet easily understandable solution. Maybe something automated whilst we are away from our bases? Maybe a manual option if one so chooses?  

Then me wonder ok why have a splitter in the first place? Each piece of equipment uses the same amount of power or if they use different levels of power how can the player tell? So why was it introduced so many months ago? Unless, unless in December each component will begin to use different levels of electricity which would cause me to have and use splitters? 

Will I ever have to give more than a millisecond of thought or one day will I actually have to plan the power grid for my survival? No power, no oxygen for tethers?

tbh Yes they probably would, it's all about redundancy, working in a non oxygen atmosphere would require horroundous levels of redundancy, to ensure the safety of the astronauts/explorers.  So I'd expect even in a thousand years, there would still be cables, pipes etc being used at the very least as an emergency backup redundancy.  If your suit oxy runs out or some gismo that makes oxygen breaks down, you'd always have that fallback to a tether and an oxygen pipeline.  Also in event of storms or a broken communications line, you might have tethers to connect to so you could find your way back, blind.  And we all know what wireless is like.. spotty connections, drop outs etc.  Imagine having that in space with no backups.. suicide.

As for splitters, research modules currently have 2 power settings, normal and overcharged.  You might want to use a splitter to redirect power to a furness to smelt resources rather than share it with all your research modules.

Edited by Martin

4 hours ago, Martin said:

tbh Yes they probably would, it's all about redundancy, working in a non oxygen atmosphere would require horroundous levels of redundancy, to ensure the safety of the astronauts/explorers.  So I'd expect even in a thousand years, there would still be cables, pipes etc being used at the very least as an emergency backup redundancy.  If your suit oxy runs out or some gismo that makes oxygen breaks down, you'd always have that fallback to a tether and an oxygen pipeline.  Also in event of storms or a broken communications line, you might have tethers to connect to so you could find your way back, blind.  And we all know what wireless is like.. spotty connections, drop outs etc.  Imagine having that in space with no backups.. suicide.

As for splitters, research modules currently have 2 power settings, normal and overcharged.  You might want to use a splitter to redirect power to a furness to smelt resources rather than share it with all your research modules.

However in 1969 men walked on the moon without tethers?
When this game was first released, there were no tethers?

1k years? Redundancy? Rovers don't have a redundant system, they produce oxygen for ever and ever they never break down?
I've never seen a tether break, have you?
So why would my suit run out of anything when rovers don't? Why would the gizmo run out when tethers never break?  
Then again aren't there some platform that produce oxygen? They never break or have a redundant system do they? Then again when I find some crashed spacecraft they produce oxygen, but how? They have no power. 

How many more holes would you like me to poke in your argument for forcing players to use tethers? 

26 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Then again when I find some crashed spacecraft they produce oxygen, but how? They have no power. 

Meant to state: They have no power to produce oxygen yet they do.

And don't get me wrong I'm not 100% against tethers. For those that want to play with them, I'm in your corner! For those that don't, I'm in your corner too! 

I absolutely understand why people would want to play with tethers. There are numerous reasons. If someone is just able to play a few hours a week and don't want to spend that time trying to find their base, they just want to play, never get lost, just play. I dig it! I'm in your corner!
Maybe there are two or more people using the same Astroneer and just flat out does not want to ever die or ever get lost or ever take that risk, they just want to play, I'm in their corner!
If someone want to play a multi-hour session and does not want it thrown away just because they got lost, I'm in their corner too!
Whatever the reason anyone wants to play with tethers they should be able to.

Just like

Those of us that don't want to use tethers.

Those of us who want to take on the role of a traditional explorer. Maybe even on foot? Maybe there are those who want the additional risk of dying. Maybe there are those that will play hardcore & tether free at the same time? I think I just blew some minds! Maybe there are some of us that would like the multiplayer risk of dying due to lack of oxygen? 

I'm just not understanding why both worlds; style of play, preference of play, can't be the norm? 

2 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

For those that want to play with them, I'm in your corner! For those that don't, I'm in your corner too! 

Lol.. 100% chance to argue.. ;)

Tethers were used on the 1969 moon landings, the astronaut secured himself to the shuttle for the spacewalk.  Obviously you just haven't seen the real video..

Tethers have been in use for a long time, esp on sailing ships, to stop men falling overboard in high seas, ie in storms. also used on the Everest climbs to stop people falling off the mtn.

Fire service also use them inside smokefilled rooms, rescuers use them in caves.. climbers use them on cliffs.  Even indoors these days.

The immaculate production of oxygen is just a simplification of the game.  If we had to produce power, in order to make oxygen, the forums would be in a daily uproar.

Also, if you don't want to use tethers.. don't make them.  Problem solved. What do you want? A menu slider to stop you from doing something you can/can't stop yourself from doing?

Also it could be that terran and other worlds have Oxygen in their atmosphere but not enough for humans, or maybe the astroneers aren't human.. the machines that produce it might be scrubbing it directly from the atmosphere, removing impurities or remixing it.  Or whatever it is the astroneers breath.

And before you say, but there are O2 tanks.. that could just stand for Oxymoron Tanks.. for those explorers who'd travel thousands of miles just to risk dying on a planet.

Sounds like it is, but it probably isn't.

oxymoron
ˌɒksɪˈmɔːrɒn/
noun
noun: oxymoron; plural noun: oxymorons
  1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).
Edited by Martin

12 hours ago, Martin said:

Tethers were used on the 1969 moon landings, the astronaut secured himself to the shuttle for the spacewalk.  Obviously you just haven't seen the real video..

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11tether.html

Martin, come now even you have to admit your definition of 'tether' is nothing and I mean nothing like what is used in game. The tether you speak of was to prevent falls. The tether we are talking about in game is a life line. 
Stop muddying up the waters. Your argument is full of holes and therefore does not hold water. 

And your argument about not using them? Really? That too holds no water.
Hey, I'm willing to discuss this with you but you have to be an adult using facts and logic. These Trumpian excuses, "reasoning" and lack of facts is just really childish. 

Your follow up post I won't even comment on as that is just pure childish gibberish. 

Back to the original topic...

Everyone has their own playstyle amd comfort zone when it comes to how much detail and complexity they enjoy in their games, especially those centered around activities like crafting and building. I lean towards the more organized side, but I wouldn’t enjoy the game if I were “forced” to make some chore out of base planning as someone suggested. This isn’t an electrical engineering project or whatever lol. The game has become more than a bit grindy as is, and doesn’t need more imo. The Basebuilding update issued last December was an amazing one, bringing unparalleled amount of freedom and flexibility to the game (in comparison to the far more rigid tube and node-like system used throughout Pre-Alpha) even mobile bases became a possibility. To take a step back from that would not only anger many players, it would be a poor decision imo for the game’s design.

Some players like myself would like extenders to have a bidirectional function, perhaps a switch to change the mode, or maybe an alternate craftable version. I’ve argued before on behalf of extenders becoming bidirectional same as platform connections but I see that isn’t a great idea, because sometimes you want/need directional power. I don’t think SES will offer something like that, but it would be nice to have for certain circumstances. I too don’t use the splitter in the game. Only thing I ever used one for was to measure power output of the various devices like solar, wind, etc.

Anyway, not going to touch the tether argument. But as for the power cables, no need to make some complex electrical design challenge out of the game. Who spends time just sitting around their base, marveling at how clever it’s designed anyway? Some people really enjoy planning every little detail about their base, and the game allows for that. Some just don’t care, and the game allows for that too. That’s the beauty of the sandbox and how things are set up. I understand wanting things orderly and just so. I can’t stand playing on a base that’s got ground clutter everywhere and not flatttened out. But I’ve played with some others, and seen plenty of videos of gameplay, where people just aren’t bothered by that sort of thing. It’s not a priority to them, and that’s ok. It’s their base, their playthrough, their time, their world. Some people forget this is meant to be an E for Everyone title (I think it is anyway). The kind of game families and kids can enjoy. It doesn’t need to be overly complicated (and it’s already getting quite complicated, you have to know a good bit about the game to figure out what you need to spend Bytes on, what those things in the catalog actually do, and many things changed recently with regards to recipes and crafting so it’s almost like learning the whole game again, well not all of it but a significant portion). As they say, I think basbuilding is in a really good place right now.

I've seen plenty of holes hold water.

I'll ignore the insults and assume they're in jest.

The argument seems to be about the substance of tethers in a game where they're simplified.   Like looking at a storm and demanding just clouds.  Then complaining about 3" hailstones. That splash when they hit the ground.

Edited by Martin

well, isn't this one hot little thread!

Ive never played Astroneer without tethers. but i am aware that, if i chose to, i could simply not make any tethers. the early stages would be much harder, but you soon develop alternative strategies as your game progresses.

I have played Astroneer without splitters, however. in fact, all the games ive played since they were introduced have been without them. ive yet to find a single instance of needing to split power outside of using a platform.

there are some good arguments being made for the development of a 'hardcore mode' in this game, with lots of stuff made easier and with death being final. there would be nothing wrong with including that for those who wanted to challenge themselves in that way. as it stands, making the game more challenging is currently in the hands of the player, and players are rarely likely to eschew the cool toys that make life on their chosen world a little easier. you only have to look at topics on this very forum, and you will find innumerable people with crazy or cool ideas for stuff in the game that, in general, makes life easier. conveyor belt resource feed? robot helpers? detection of deposits of stuff from orbit? (hand on, some of those are mine)

so tethers are not going away any time soon.

power distribution can have a dramatic effect on your base construction, particularly if you like creating widely distributed clusters of platforms and linking them together. (side note: did you know that it's relatively easy to switch the flow of a long line of extenders? i did this recently on Barren when i linked my landing site with a derelict platform base. whatever end i was at, all i needed to do was disconnect that end, then stretch out and reconnect that final link the other way - all the other links flip to reverse the flow and presto!) i tend to break up any long line of extenders with platforms every so often because i like to put solar or wind generators on them to spread my power generation.

i believe that eventually this game will have some kind of modding community, and when that happens, you can pick your own special method of hamstringing your Astroneer. i look forward to that day, because that will probably be the day that Astroneer as a game phenomenon comes of age. but until then SES have to make some money from it, and i don't believe the vast majority of players are looking for an incredibly hard game experience, they just want a fun time. and it's definitely that!

On 10/16/2018 at 5:09 PM, Bron said:

well, isn't this one hot little thread!

Ive never played Astroneer without tethers. but i am aware that, if i chose to, i could simply not make any tethers. the early stages would be much harder, but you soon develop alternative strategies as your game progresses.

It is a hot thread because Martin is a hottie!

Well you don't have to make tethers however they removed the air bubbles that used to be on the surface and in caves so now the only source of oxygen is tethers

On 10/16/2018 at 8:43 AM, Shadow Echo said:

(and it’s already getting quite complicated, you have to know a good bit about the game to figure out what you need to spend Bytes on, what those things in the catalog actually do, and many things changed recently with regards to recipes and crafting so it’s almost like learning the whole game again, well not all of it but a significant portion)

How exactly? How is it quite complicated? I'm not finding any complexity at all. 

We are Astroneers, aren't we supposed to be smart? Aren't Astronauts engineers, scientists, university graduates....... 400+ years into the future Astroneers (gamers) have to be less intelligent than Astronauts (pong players)? Why is the best solution to any issue.... "dumb the game down" There might be an 8 year old that picks up a controller, better dumb the game down! There might be a person that has never played any game before lets hold his hand each and every step of the way keep the hand holding in place.
I'm already an "explorer" that can't get lost, can't there be an option to play an adult/gamers version of the technology aspect of this game? Why can't we ask the bar to be raised rather than lowered? 
Can't it mean "E" for everyone because it has no cussing, nudity or gore? Why does it have to mean "E" for everyone and you do mean everyone? Can't the world just accept the fact that some people just won't understand this game (due to many factors) and just move on? And by moving on I mean, can't the game begin to grow in complexity and expand upon the possibilities of 400+ years into the future? Why can't it be me when the next update comes out that scratches my head and tries to figure out how to do the new thing? Why does it always have to be the person that has 8 hours played that is blown away and not the person with 800+ hours? Why can't the hardcore fans/players be rewarded by being such and in doing so add in complexity? 

I R smart.  I R Explorer,  who does get lost.  But I survive. (that said a dangly thing ate me, twice)

Game is same, but different, but still the same, recipes change, modules change, but still essentially the same game.  Nothing is hard or a grind when you plan.

I R always planning.

Oh and yesterday I used a splitter.  To send power to two different bases.

Edited by Martin