Sign in to follow this  
vvhorus

Directed Goals, Puzzles, and End Game Discussion

Hey all!

I decided to make this thread in the hopes that any member(s) of the development team could enlighten us about what those "Directed Goals" and "New Puzzle Types" are on the game's Trello development roadmap, as they have no descriptive text. Since we have neither right now in the game (unless unlocking an item from the catalog is considered a "goal"), some clarification would be very much appreciated.

1. What are these "Directed Goals" and "New Puzzle Types," and how will they impact the game?

I also would like any of them to clarify what are the plans to keep the Astroneer player base engaged and returning to the game once we reach end game.

The game is fun to play. A little repetitive, but fun nonetheless. I've spent hundreds of hours myself alpha-testing (and enjoying) it so far. Early-mid game progression seems to be headed in the right direction, but once you hit that "I've researched and built everything" wall, there's nothing to do other than either run around other planets like tourists, or start over.

2. What are the plans for end-game content and progression? Is this going to be a "finish and forget" kind of game, or are we going to get end-game activities once those "directed goals" are completed?

Friendly reminder: quarter 3, 2018 ends this Saturday, September 30. The planned December release is just around the corner, less than 3 months away. This would be a great and appreciated opportunity for the devs to engage not only their forums community, but the entire Astroneer community, in some much-needed discussion about future plans for the game.

We have been specifically tight lipped about this as it is a 1.0 feature! We have been pretty open about most of our EA development, but this one will definitely be better if we don't list it out ahead of time. 

11 hours ago, SES_joe said:

We have been specifically tight lipped about this as it is a 1.0 feature! We have been pretty open about most of our EA development, but this one will definitely be better if we don't list it out ahead of time.  

Fair enough. I appreciate your reply.

However, if I may...

1. From what I've seen, most game developers and publishers have made known that there is some form of end game content in their upcoming games if the game will have any. EA/Bioware have talked about Anthem's end game content (also here) even if they didn't reveal much. Ubisoft/Massive's E3 presentation for The Division 2 was all about revealing end game content and their plans for year 1 without giving any specifics. Those are just two examples. I have not personally seen any mention/discussion about anything end-game related for Astroneer anywhere, hence this thread. Pertaining Astroneer, no need to reveal specifics to discuss what the end-game content will be.

2. On a related note, there is absolutely no major information about what the game is really about other than the vague couple of sentences in the game's web site and the one paragraph on the outdated wiki page. The Astroneer Steam page has a bit more info, but it is more concentrated on in-game mechanics and explaining what early access means. No mention of end-game content, even if it will have any. For someone who has never seen the game, there is not much information available about it.

3. If this "secret" end-game content involves activities/game elements not currently present in the game, you guys only have less than 3 months to test and tweak those if indeed SES plans to stick with a December release. It means that this content must be fully functional and with minimal bugs (playable state) at launch on all current systems. There are plenty of beta testers here at your disposal. Releasing untested content and risking it not working as intended on day 1 because of an unanticipated issue (remember: not all PC's are created equal) is a big gamble, especially for a small studio such as yourselves. Are you really sure you guys want to do that?

I like this game and I wholeheartedly wish for it to do well, but sometimes some of these management decisions just make me cringe. I understand that SES might want to keep a few surprises for release, but if those surprises go out untested and fail at launch, it could potentially backfire big time, especially from us players that have consistently followed the game for the past year and 9 months and already have hundreds of hours in it.

On a side note: there are many big-name content creators that could potentially feature the game in their channels if you reach out to them and send out press releases (YongYea, Open World Games and Beyond, SkillUp, to name a few). Those could put Astroneer in the eyes of many gamers who might not realize the game even exists.

These are just my 2 cents. Hope the healthy discussion continues...

they are keeping the end-game objectives and content under their hats. and i totally get it. right now, the mystery that surrounds how Astroneer will change in 1.0 is probably more compelling than any sneak peek info they might release.

it's also prudent for them to keep key elements of the game a secret. after all, secrets, and the unraveling of them, is what space exploration is all about. i much prefer games that allow their players to discover for themselves the world they are in.

i am a bit concerned, however, that SES dont seem to want our input on these vital elements. we have been their game-play testing and feedback team for many months now, and i would like to think that our input, however fractious or extreme it may have been at times, has helped to shape their game for the better. whose to say that wont be so with this other content?

it's strange. if this were a novel, then the idea of a writer allowing their work to be seen by their fans in an early draft and letting them comment and suggest changes would seem pretty avant-garde at the least. not so with games, however. and yet, maybe, for a strong clear creative voice to shine through it has to be allowed to develop unchecked. maybe a purer vision of the world of Astroneer needs to emerge without compromise. maybe that's the only way it will be truly excellent.

let's hope so.

On 9/26/2018 at 2:11 AM, SES_joe said:

Don't say I didn't warn you.  But this is a bad idea.

You guys I realise are "in it for the money" we're "in it for the fun".  Many of you are still just children to many of us.  But I would strongly suggest you test the game with at least a few hundred trusted players rather than just ignore all of our opinions.  Because you think you know better.  I've seen many games, big companies flop, because of this one specific mistake.  This is the kind of mistake that saw Sony Games go into bankruptsy.  Everquest went from No1 world wide game to like No 99. Overnight due to this specific mistake.

Other software houses didn't even make it out of the door, having spent millions only to discover the game sucked on release due to a small group of developers wanting to hold back on release content.

When this EA started, Adam promised us, you wouldn't be like Hello Games and No mans sky type anti hype.. but it seems you suffer from the same disease.  Hope it doesn't fail.

Edited by Martin

On 9/26/2018 at 3:11 AM, SES_joe said:

So... given yesterday's announcement for the  new 1.0 release date in Feb 2019, are you still going to maintain that we just have to wait and see?

I haven't played for almost a year now and while I have been paying attention to all of the development that has been going on, it's this end game, ultimate goal orientation that this game needs and the OP refers to which is keeping my hopes for this game alive. Exploration in such a limited planetary system is all well and good but after hundreds of hours of rinse and repeat, it all seems ultimately pointless without some rationale for doing so.

After waiting for a year, I suppose I have enough patience to wait for another few months, but it would be decent to provide at least a little inkling of what you have planned to reaffirm what faith I have left.

No beta testing period announced on anything, including any end game content, terrain 2.0 procedurally-generated planets, nor dedicated servers. This doesn't bode well...