Ljorius

crafting update - The Good, the bad, the ugly

Step by Step Feedback for Systemera and open for discussion ? 

At first, when ever i play the game, i get the feeling, that the game does not like me or i get an extra boost of challenge ;)

Astroneer.png.935d12d61a1d9104d3cca690727ba4ae.png 526 hours, so far

#1 Required resources for different platforms

Astroneer_building_resources.thumb.png.07807e026b01790d126ea5040d53b034.png

Platform A : 1x Resin
Platform B : 3x Resin
Platform C : 3x Iron
Medium Platform A : 1x Resin
Medium Platform B : 2x Resin
Extra Large Platform A : 4x Iron
Extra Large Platform B : 2x Resin + 2x Iron

The Platform C and the Extra Large Platform B seem to be out of balance, since they require Iron. On the earth like planet, i was not able so far to locate any iron, possible that there is none, on the moon, i found one field, which gave me 3 nuggets of hematite = 3 iron block. Exploring other entrances or digging very deep, did not provide extra iron to me, i found more Astronomium than iron so far. 

#2 Thrusters

The solid fuel thruster is waste after it has been used. the more you have to travel for example between moon and the planet, the more burned thrusters you have. you can only put them into the big shredder and try to trade the waste to get something for it. In my situation i had 5-6 burned thrusters on the moon and on the planet laying around, because i was not able to build a big shredder for a long time, due to lack of enough iron. So i had to waste more Aluminium for Solid Thrusters, which was also not that much available, as i hoped for. At the very first start the Hydrazine Thrusters are beyond your reach, so you have to build the Solid Thruster.

#3 small Resumee

Now i managed to research everything, but a few things i have not build yet and i will not build them, because they require resources which are quite scarce or hard to obtain.

Large Platform C 
Extra Large Platform A & B
Crane
Drill Head
Mods

As for the Chemistry Lab that building is a great idea and can be extended in many ways. :D

The requirements for some constructions should be at least reviewed once. Because of the lack of some resources, like in my case, only 3 Hematite nuggets, but 2 Astronomium Nuggets on 2 planets while digging to the core.

In this game try, i have been to the moon, the radiated world, the exotic world and the starting planet.

Chemestry_lab.png

On 9/22/2018 at 5:44 AM, Ljorius said:

The solid fuel thruster is waste after it has been used. the more you have to travel for example between moon and the planet, the more burned thrusters you have. you can only put them into the big shredder and try to trade the waste to get something for it. In my situation i had 5-6 burned thrusters on the moon and on the planet laying around, because i was not able to build a big shredder for a long time, due to lack of enough iron. So i had to waste more Aluminium for Solid Thrusters, which was also not that much available, as i hoped for. At the very first start the Hydrazine Thrusters are beyond your reach, so you have to build the Solid Thruster.

Do what I do: dig a hole, dump the used thrusters there, then cover the hole. They can sit there until such time you can build the large shredder. For me, that time is never...

3 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Do what I do: dig a hole, dump the used thrusters there, then cover the hole. They can sit there until such time you can build the large shredder. For me, that time is never...

i did this already, but it would be nice, not only to recycle the remains of the thruster. ;)

On 9/22/2018 at 5:44 AM, Ljorius said:

At the very first start the Hydrazine Thrusters are beyond your reach, so you have to build the Solid Thruster.

I totally agree
I'm not sure why I would ever build the Hydrazine Thrusters. I go from solid thrusters to large shuttle. Why anyone would bother to go the Hydrazine Thruster route? Hydrazine Thrusters, Medium Shuttle, Medium Shredder, Soil Centrifuge & Crane can all go; bye bye now. 

It’s silly we now have 3 spacecraft. We don’t need 3. I don’t mind having 3 rovers. They’re distinct enough in their uses. Having a spacecraft with no cargo (beyond your own backpack) is horrible design imho. Wasteful to unlock, build, and the entire idea behind the disposable rockets just doesn’t fit overall with how I think SES will develop the game long-term (although idk really, you have to go to Discord to have any chance at talking with them?).

I’ve yet to get past that “mini shuttle” stage though, with the disposable rocket boosters. I just want my Inhibitor back, at the start of the game (close to it, so I don’t need to gouge ugly holes around my base, can clean up around it as well, etc). If the Devs haven’t received that message loud and clear from others as well they’re not listening.

Back to the issue being discussed. I just don’t see them holding on the notion of littering the planets (and universe in concept) with trash. We should be recycling. Why not take the useless little shredder out of the game? They said in the VLOG about the Shedders they were bringing in another module later, the Scrapper or something like that right? Idk what that’ll end up doing, maybe that’s the long sought after module to recycle our own platforms or modules, stuff we don’t want anymore. That’s a incredibly ill-thought out notion though. What players need (and want) is an elegant all-in-one solution. No one wants to carry around (or have on hand) two separate modules to process different types of junk. Don’t want to separate out types either (and I know I don’t want another module to do pre-sorting either thats ridiculous as well, takes up space, and I’m sure would have its own crafting requirements and unlock costs). If you find a wrecked platform/module combo, why run it through two separate machines? Or a pre-sorter? I certainly hope they’re not going to implement something like that. A lot of players are already tired of the scrap mechanic. They’ve also complained how the trade platform is now tied to scrap as the sole currency (idk, haven’t been able to craft one much less use one, can’t even craft a Shredder). If they force a completely different module on players for one type of salvage or another, no one is going to be interested in using it is my guess.

What would be I’m guessing is scrapping the idea of the smaller shredder and the single use rockers in favor of a module that’s a “recharger” sort of like for rechargeable batteries, something like that. You load up a rocket (max 2 at a time) and some resource (stuff you get on Terran, anywhere), and shortly they’re ready to use again. Cost to unlock would be fairly low, but higher than the booster itself. You’d be able to recycle them, but not use Hydrazine or other fuel. Sound like a possible solution. Maybe it could be a multirole station. Plug batteries in for a faster charge using some comsumable resource (like a quick charge) that has a higher “cost” in terms of resources, but you can still recharge batteries the way we do now using power producing units (solar, wind, generators). Not sure I like this idea, but it might give an additional use for the recharging module. Still think these disposable boosters don’t fit well in the recycling idea of the game, and right now the Shredders are locked off for most players. They definitely need to do a lot of rebalancing and reconfiguring recipes (and some costs as well) in the Crafting Update. It’s new of course, but the closer to launch the less time we get with these big content updates so it’s conerning to say the least. How much time will we have with Terrain 2.0? The story?

I agree, too many things “artificially gated” behind materials you can’t get without traveling elsewhere, and that’s IF you can even find them once you leave Terran. A huge IF.

Edited by Shadow Echo

8 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

I just want my Inhibitor back, at the start of the game (close to it, so I don’t need to gouge ugly holes around my base, can clean up around it as well, etc). If the Devs haven’t received that message loud and clear from others as well they’re not listening.

HERE! HERE! 
Why would my Astroneer leave his home planet without this or any mod? I'm not sure why the terrain mods would not be unlocked with compound or resin or both. Isn't this a game like minecraft (according to Joe)? But I can't craft until I travel to a second planet to acquire zinc? But isn't this a game like minecraft (according to Joe) ..." 

So the SES 'story' (LOL story) is we leave our home planet with the terrain tool, zero mods, tell our Astroneers "yeah you know just like minecraft, be artistic, be unique, use your imagination, however you can't begin to do that until "X" amount of hours into the game (depending on one's play style) and you have to travel to another planet to acquire the resource to even begin to do what is advertised "be creative" however as @Shadow Echo points out.... destroyed by then (which is another example of why I just don't think the devs play this game)

I wish the devs played this game. I'm finding it very improbable that any of them sit for hours at a time and just play. As @Shadow Echo brilliantly points out (not just in this post but many) that when one plays the game many aspects, segments, tools, equipment, methods, reasoning, storyline are IMHO just a hodge podge of ideas with little to no coherence. 
Examples: I can construct a small battery with just lithium yet to build the medium battery I also need zinc? Now I need three iron to construct a platform? What does platform C give me that needs iron? All other platforms are resin then this is just thrown in as a use for iron? It makes no sense. So you want us to use iron or make it more difficult to acquire platform C but the team could not figure out a way so that the story kinda makes some sense? 

Do I see flat tires lying around? Why nitrogen in tires? I'm watching Stephen Colbert this week and he and Neil Degrasse Tyson drive down the streets of New York in the new NASA Mars rover with no nitrogen in tires! Why SES just why? The game takes place 400+  years in the future and here in 2018 NASA has tires that can't go flat. Why would any space program use tires that have the ability and probability of going flat? And now let's talk about tire aesthetics. And a little throw up just came into my mouth. Why do we have tires that were designed in 1940? Why couldn't cool, space age, futuristic, colorful, lighted tires be used? Why am I using surplus WWII truck tires? Come on guys (and gals) the bar has to be set just a bit higher don't ya think? 

4 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Do I see flat tires lying around? Why nitrogen in tires? I'm watching Stephen Colbert this week and he and Neil Degrasse Tyson drive down the streets of New York in the new NASA Mars rover with no nitrogen in tires! Why SES just why? The game takes place 400+  years in the future and here in 2018 NASA has tires that can't go flat. Why would any space program use tires that have the ability and probability of going flat? And now let's talk about tire aesthetics. And a little throw up just came into my mouth. Why do we have tires that were designed in 1940? Why couldn't cool, space age, futuristic, colorful, lighted tires be used? Why am I using surplus WWII truck tires? Come on guys (and gals) the bar has to be set just a bit higher don't ya think?

I'm just amazed that tires are still a thing 400 years in the future. I guess anti-gravity hovercrafts that take advantage of the planets' magnetic fields are not in anyone's imagination yet.

Also, what kind of device allows us to effortlessly carry those heavy platforms, and why hasn't it been used to create hovering vehicles?

2 hours ago, vvhorus said:

I'm just amazed that tires are still a thing 400 years in the future. I guess anti-gravity hovercrafts that take advantage of the planets' magnetic fields are not in anyone's imagination yet.

Also, what kind of device allows us to effortlessly carry those heavy platforms, and why hasn't it been used to create hovering vehicles?

Only the discord knows the answers to these and many other questions! 

32 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Only the discord knows the answers to these and many other questions! 

I guess these people are incapable of real discussions with real adults, and prefer to hang out where kids hang out...

The Discord shouldn’t be the ONLY place to find answers to anything Astroneer-related. It has an audience, just like any other third party, social platform. The official website/forum is still the gold standard, the place players know they can depend on for finding information. As I’ve said before, I don’t have a problem with the Devs wanting to interact with players on the Discord above and beyond the forum they created and invited us all to participate in (with them I might add). That doesn’t mean they should neglect this site in favor or other places or fail to provide the same information as they do elsewhere. They want to discuss things on Discord, make announcements on Twitter, etc, those need to be integrated here where everyone can see what’s being said and so on. That way no one is missing out, including those of us who aren’t involved on social platforms for whatever reason. A website still does the best job of meeting the “common denominator” for a game’s audience. 

On 9/25/2018 at 7:30 PM, vvhorus said:

I guess these people are incapable of real discussions with real adults, and prefer to hang out where kids hang out...

There's alot of issues with having "hover" vehicles.  Physics issues etc.  We have enough issues atm with no handbrake.. imagine trying to park a hovertruck.. or even go in a straight line over a hill without sliding to the left or right.

Wheels is fine.. just need brakes. Esp for the crane.

Or allow crane to drive the truck.. and add a brake.

As for inhibitor from start of game etc.. why? You can always unlock the tech later.. you don't have to dig on surface.  You can go back later and flatten terrain in original colour if you want. To beautifie it (splet thta wornge)

There is a game progression, in all games, starting off with what is essentially cheats.. is boring. imo.  Most games start off hard and get easier.. few games get harder.  Balance is everything and it happens later, they can add inhibitor if they want or not, it isn't vital to progression.

Edited by Martin

3 hours ago, Martin said:

There's alot of issues with having "hover" vehicles.  Physics issues etc.  We have enough issues atm with no handbrake.. imagine trying to park a hovertruck.. or even go in a straight line over a hill without sliding to the left or right.

I'm going to refer you to the Deluxo in Grand Theft Auto Online, which is an imitation of Back To The Future's DeLorean. It drives normally like every other car, but press a button and the wheels turn inwards and it hovers over any surface, even over curbs, pedestrians, and rough oceanic waters. It even flies like the one in the movie. It can be coded. It's just a matter of knowing how...

3 hours ago, Martin said:

Wheels is fine.. just need brakes

and the ability to not get stuck over rocks...

Yeh but SES don't have those devs.. or that experience to make such a vehicle. 

And rocks can be remodeled to be rounder.. wind blasted.. and thus easier to drive over.  Hopefully Terrain 2.0 will also see the end of cubes as rocks.  I've seen in the videos new rocks that look like pebbles on a riverbed.. that's what we need ingame.  All that new content is just waiting in the wings.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:30 PM, vvhorus said:

That's a fairly arrogant and false stance.
Especially considering when you see certain people throwing tantrums on the forums fairly often.
And certain people may see consequences for continuous attempts on starting flame wars if this goes on. 

On 9/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, vvhorus said:

1. As many probably noticed, Astroneer is following more of a retro design, rather than sci-fi. Just look at the research catalog and the data values used. Doesn't seem all that modern.
2. Well, that's hardly even related to point 1, as that's simply necessary for gameplay's sake. Although what do we know about their weight anyway? Or the gravity? Considering how high we can jump even with our seemingly heavy suits and the overall size of the planets, it seems silly to compare it with what we're used to in the real world.

1 hour ago, Wyvyrias said:
On 9/25/2018 at 2:30 PM, vvhorus said:

That's a fairly arrogant and false stance.
Especially considering when you see certain people throwing tantrums on the forums fairly often.
And certain people may see consequences for continuous attempts on starting flame wars if this goes on. 

Unfortunately, apart from the brief statement by Joe on my attempt to have a healthy and constructive conversation about end game in my thread, no other dev has come forward to prove me wrong, and most likely that thread will die from lack of participation. Not surprised one bit...

Thank you for your childish attempt at waving your power in our faces. You keep proving my point.

Lost cause, I guess...

1 hour ago, Wyvyrias said:

As many probably noticed, Astroneer is following more of a retro design, rather than sci-fi.

Thank you for stating the obvious. The problem is that it not only looks retro, but apart from a few gadgets, everything else functions retro.

Again, another lost cause. I give up...

We’re all subject to bias. What really matters is how we handle it, particularly in our dealings with others. A biased person alone isn’t really doing much harm one might argue. When you’re biased and carry a lot of responsibility, such as to a community, that’s a big problem. Most people in positions of authority, which means they hold great responsibility, hopefully recognize their bias and try to compensate for it, for their own sake but mostly for the good of the community. When a person cares only that they’re right, when they argue continuously about how they’re right, when they threaten or throw their weight (power) around to prove it, they’re not only not serving the good of the community very well, they’ve become part of the problem, not the solution. Just saying.

I’m not perfect, far from it. I have bias same as anyone else. I do my best to look at other sides of a discussion. Not always successful, but I try to put myself in others shoes a lot more than I ever did when I was young. People don’t do enough of that these days, try to think from another’s perspective. Most don’t try at all. I sure wish I knew a lot of what I know now, especially when it comes to dealing with people, about 20-25 years ago. A lot of people, those getting older, probably feel the same. But demanding your way is right and no one else’s, that your vision is the only right path and so on, that’s no way to be and others know it. Many have seen people who believe and act that way, and it tears up communities rather than unite them. It’s a sad thing to watch. Again, just saying.

As for the retro design, I hope it won’t stay that way, I don’t mind the current old style suits like the PJ Astroneer but if it’s set in however many centuries in the future, it should be you know very futuristic lol. Too much retro these days imo. I already live much of the retro period, it wasn’t that great tbh. Speaking more about the retro game craze of course, and yeah some nostalgia is good now and then but it’s been overdone. Stick the fork in. I agree, if we can use some sort of mystical “Jedi powers” or whatnot for levitating platforms and pods, we certainly should be able to do much more. No reason I can think of for crafting rubber tires or being restricted to some teeny tiny tank that lets us live only few minutes before suffocation. I don’t mind the oxygen requirement just think it’s too restrictive atm. I know there’s a lot more to come, hope it’ll all be great. ;) I think we’re in good hands.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:35 AM, Shadow Echo said:

No reason I can think of for crafting rubber tires

i have to say, seeing 'rubber' in the chem lab menu was pretty galling. why not bakelite? shellac? Hemacite?

it's a fine and noble thing to want to have a design aesthetic, but at some point you have to decide, are you in the future or in the past?

13 hours ago, Bron said:

but at some point you have to decide, are you in the future or in the past?

I agree 100%, like who wouldn't? However if the most recent vlog is any indication your question won't be answered in December.  ?