When I started, I lost a few lives as I was so excited to explore that I lost track of my oxygen and didn't make it back to my tethers in time.

It'd be nice if there was some type of "alert" system (perhaps you can craft this and mount it in your helmet) - even a series of beeps to job the player's memory.

Everyone has a habit of “ignoring” those warning messages. Just like when your phone keeps alerting you that the battery is getting low but you don’t do anything until it actually dies ? All a very valuable part of the learning experience in the game.

There's a big blue bar on your backpack, pop-up warnings as it gets low (though these are currently difficult to see), and the music changes. 

17 hours ago, handofthesly said:

Everyone has a habit of “ignoring” those warning messages. Just like when your phone keeps alerting you that the battery is getting low but you don’t do anything until it actually dies ? All a very valuable part of the learning experience in the game.

Totally. But it would be nice if there was some HUD/helmet builds that could add some type of numerical feature

17 hours ago, Blind Io said:

There's a big blue bar on your backpack, pop-up warnings as it gets low (though these are currently difficult to see), and the music changes. 

I like this idea alot. Not sure if people like the idea of a voice over saying "low oxygen" considering it would be to similar to other games but thats what i would like to see. 
Or maybe just a friendly beeping.

Not sure how long everyone who’s posting in this thread has played (since mid-Jan 2017 for me) but until recently, just a couple of updates back, the oxygen warnings were MUCH CLEARER. The Devs have intentionally avoided a HUD in the game, wanting a clean and clear UI for it (which is why there’s no HUD compass elements or anything of that nature either, which some would like as well including the ability to see your beacons as colored tick markers, more importantly your home beacon) but it seems unlikely that’ll happen. There’s also the spherical nature of the planets to consider. This does make implementation of such a feature more challenging. There are other ways (GPS, lat & lon systems) but that’s not what’s being discussed really.

The more recent power and oxygen indicators are too pudgy and focus too much on the icon itself (like a big blue “O” and big yellow lighting bolt for instance) without having the same effect in terms of relaying vital, critical info to the player. Power levels aren’t as critical but still important especially now we are reliant on crafting an oxygen filter (aka refill) if off tether and away from an oxygen delivery source (such as a hab, vehicle, spacecraft or platform). With power, the lighting bolt icon covers up the plus or minus sign for the most part which is meant to indicate the current state of a battery (our pack or an external one), whether it’s actively discharging power or recharging. Iirc the oxygen indicators are supposed to alert at 50%, 25% and 10%.

Most prefer the old style for alerts, both for power and oxygen. These were text alerts in good-sized fonts, ones you’d have a hard time missing tbh. You’d see on your screen for example “Oxygen 50%” or “Suffocating” which even now when suffocating the words are very small and covered in the blue color, not very legible especially if you’re one of many playing on Xbox One & widescreen TV (it probably looks better when sitting up close to a monitor playing on a PC, that’s how it’s deisgned but the Devs don’t seem to play on console much less pay as much attention how things look on it). Probably doesn’t look great on PC either I’m guessing. I suspect it’s still quite tiny.

There you have it, the history of our inidicators. It was fine before (well, better). It certainly wasn’t broke, but the Devs decided to mess with it anyway. Players want it changed back. A lot of people are dying more because the warnings are so easy to miss, at the very least, unintentionally “ignore”.

Edited by Shadow Echo

On 9/22/2018 at 10:52 PM, Cobra said:

I like this idea alot. Not sure if people like the idea of a voice over saying "low oxygen" considering it would be to similar to other games but thats what i would like to see. 
Or maybe just a friendly beeping.

Yes please! But not as a text overlay.
=> To stay in-theme with the game look-and-feel, I'd like it to have the O2 bar start to turn yellow at < 50% and flashing red at < 25%.
      So it would not introduce another UI element. (as Astroneer is by principle not using much UI overlays)

How often do I run low on O2 while the noise of the deform tool, wind and other stuff makes it difficult to hear that gradually louder breathing..
That tiny O2- popup doesn't cut it.

Yes I agree. There does need to be much better visual cue. I happened to turn down the volume too much, had been watching a TV show with someone then switched back to gaming so overcompensated without realizing, and my oxygen got too low and I died before made it to tether to base. Luckily I was just smoothing (flattening) around base, and was almost right next to the main hab, so it wasn’t a big deal for me at all. That’s not the point though.

Some people are deaf or hard of hearing. Some need to turn down the sound significantly because they aren’t allowed to or don’t want to disturb others when they play. While some can use earphones, that’s not always an option (and for some like myself, no matter the earphone or style, nothing is comfy past an hour or two anyway; I’ve looked at getting custom-molded plugs but that’s again not the point, no one should be required to use earphones to work around what’s clearly a UI issue). To accommodate needs of both hearing and visually impaired players, a system should be in place that provides clear means of notifying players of all vital information as it pertains to the game (in this case, that which is related to survival elements). This includes not only oxygen, but also damage with directional indicators as well. That’s beyond the scope of the thread, but I’m just putting that out there (not everyone can hear where acid plants are popping and know the threat is coming from etc, when they’re out of sight). 

I liked the old oxygen text notification, it was simple, unambiguous, and pretty much impossible to miss. I wouldn’t mind an oxygen bar as part of a minimalist HUD but some don’t want it (just make it an option, seems silly not to). The color change isn’t a bad idea but won’t be seen for supplemental tanks, not sure that’d work. In a 3rd person game like this, especially when much of your focus isn’t on your character but rather on what they’re doing or where they’re going, you need these cues and vital info “out in the world” where you can see them, not in your pack imo. The biggest issues with the current icons are (1) focusing on the wrong info, like the big “O”or the lighting bolt, and (2) the overall construction and audio cues don’t convey urgency. On Xbox One for example the light blue oxygen indicator is so easy to miss, ignore. Doesn’t look important, doesn’t seem to convey what is critical info vital to survival. For power icon ,the lightning bolt is very thick (thicc, no not really lol) you can’t really make out the plus or minus on a 65” TV at reasonable viewing distances (many play on couch or in bed, for me it’s the latter and I measured 15” away screen to eyes roughly). I’m sure it’s fine on some monitors playing on pc, but it’s terrible for console with big TV. Things were much better before, you knew EXACTLY what info was being delivered and took action accordingly.

Having said all that, I’d be surprised if they’re not working on it. Kind of stuff best mentioned in the QoL thread, now that we have it.