brgoshorn

Shredder and trade platform

I am wondering if the shredder will eventually generate scrap metal if it is fed smelted ores. Right now it is not possible to trade resources since the shredder does not accept metal ingots from the smelter. I assume that more of the wreckage we encounter in the game will eventually be able to be shredded.

use the ingots to make stuff, then shred that.  Aluminum into wind genny, then shred, copper into worklight then shred, etc.

Yeh they need to fix those exploits, make it so the shredder only shreds busted stuff, otherwise everyone will just bypass the intended gameplay and cheat.

On 9/23/2018 at 4:59 AM, Martin said:

Yeh they need to fix those exploits, make it so the shredder only shreds busted stuff, otherwise everyone will just bypass the intended gameplay and cheat.

I would have to respectfully disagree. Games like these are all about emergent gameplay. There is no "cheating", only people finding different ways to play.

The Devs realized that the Hydrazine Catalyzer was too easy to gain infinite resources, so they reworked it to the scrap-trade system.

I am sure there will be more balance adjustments in the future as well, but there is nothing wrong with players spending their time gathering soil, extracting resources from it, printing items, scrapping them, and trading for other resources.

All of those steps take time and energy (except for launching the trade rocket, although I suspect that will take some resource eventually). Some people want to explore endlessly, some just want massive wealth.

All games are a progression, bypassing that progression is exploitation.  Some games do build in purposeful exploitation.  But it is fairly rare.  Sure you could look at the shredder as being a recycler.. so.. I make 100 tethers, I progress.. I don't need 100 tethers, so I recycle 90 of them.  In this case, shredding made items makes sense.  But to harvest resources to make items to shred to make scrap to buy resources you can't be bothered spending 5 minutes to go and get... People will do it.. but it shouldn't be supported, that attitude stinks. Whats really funny about people that do, do this, is they're actually wasting their own time.. because it's actually faster to fly to another planet, get the resources directly and fly back than it is to shred items to make enough scrap to buy the rare resources.

Exploration is faster than standing still.  Sounds odd, but true, you also access more research seeds as well and are likely to find better researchables by exploring other planets.

Edited by Martin

1 hour ago, Martin said:

All games are a progression, bypassing that progression is exploitation.  Some games do build in purposeful exploitation.  But it is fairly rare.  Sure you could look at the shredder as being a recycler.. so.. I make 100 tethers, I progress.. I don't need 100 tethers, so I recycle 90 of them.  In this case, shredding made items makes sense.  But to harvest resources to make items to shred to make scrap to buy resources you can't be bothered spending 5 minutes to go and get... People will do it.. but it shouldn't be supported, that attitude stinks. Whats really funny about people that do, do this, is they're actually wasting their own time.. because it's actually faster to fly to another planet, get the resources directly and fly back than it is to shred items to make enough scrap to buy the rare resources.

Exploration is faster than standing still.  Sounds odd, but true, you also access more research seeds as well and are likely to find better researchables by exploring other planets.

This isn't an exploit, it is an in game mechanic. You can argue that it is imbalanced and rewards too easily, but it is still a meaningful mechanic. It still requires a mid-game progression to even unlock, as the medium shredder requires 2x Iron and the trade platform requires Iron and Tungsten. So players wanting to go straight to this method have to travel to either Exotic or Tundra as their first planet, with Tundra being pretty difficult for a lower level player to survive in.

So once a player has 3x Iron, 1x tungsten they could in theory go back to Terran and trade for pretty much everything else. That process is still quite power hungry and time intensive though, which is what you are exchanging for the ability to get other raw materials.

If someone wants to spend their time digging, centrifuging, printing, shredding, and trading, I don't see that as a broken mechanic. You still need a robust, near end stage base to handle the power requirements to do that continuously. As you pointed out it IS an inefficient usage of time.

I am fine with them adjusting the scrap return for items printed exclusively from soil-centrifuge byproducts, but would prefer finding more ways to incentivize exploration over nerfing trading. 

As a way to get resources that you might be short on I feel the mine->smelt->craft->shred->trade route is completely acceptable.  I also think this is probably a bit wasteful and not the most efficient means to the end, but sometimes you got other stuff you wanna do other than fly off to some other planet.

Interesting topic, I for one have never really ever had a use for the shredders and trade platform. I find it boring and I normally just go out exploring to look for the resources I need anyway.

16 hours ago, AbeStrange said:

This isn't an exploit, it is an in game mechanic. You can argue that it is imbalanced and rewards too easily, but it is still a meaningful mechanic. It still requires a mid-game progression to even unlock, as the medium shredder requires 2x Iron and the trade platform requires Iron and Tungsten. So players wanting to go straight to this method have to travel to either Exotic or Tundra as their first planet, with Tundra being pretty difficult for a lower level player to survive in.

So once a player has 3x Iron, 1x tungsten they could in theory go back to Terran and trade for pretty much everything else. That process is still quite power hungry and time intensive though, which is what you are exchanging for the ability to get other raw materials.

If someone wants to spend their time digging, centrifuging, printing, shredding, and trading, I don't see that as a broken mechanic. You still need a robust, near end stage base to handle the power requirements to do that continuously. As you pointed out it IS an inefficient usage of time.

I am fine with them adjusting the scrap return for items printed exclusively from soil-centrifuge byproducts, but would prefer finding more ways to incentivize exploration over nerfing trading. 

I agree.  If you read all of my post, you'd see that. ;)

6 hours ago, handofthesly said:

Interesting topic, I for one have never really ever had a use for the shredders and trade platform. I find it boring and I normally just go out exploring to look for the resources I need anyway.

I like collecting scrap and scrapping it. I bury all the stuff that can't be scrapped and make the area look all empty.. then sometimes I plant spikey mushrooms all over to brighten the place up abit.

From time to time I also scrap items I made, to produce scrap to get that 1 extra iron I want.  I don't have an issue with the process, it's just with the idea that it could be used extensively to bypass the main aim of the game, which is to explore.

Edited by Martin