c1derly

Medium shuttle pointless

Since the crafting patch the medium shuttle has mostly become useless.  You can make one pretty close to as soon as you leave the first planet and before the large shuttle.  But the medium shuttle only works off of hydrozene and by the time you have the materials to make that you can make a large shuttle and there is very little research point difference.  It seems like one of the following should be true.  1.) the large shuttle is hard to get materials for or requires more research.  2.) The medium shuttle can take solid fuel thrusters to allow you to carry more to new planets near the beginning.  3.) hydrozene can be made without needing Iron.  Maybe doesn't require gas to create?

It wouldn’t be as useless if seats mounted on Large Storage were pilotable, or if the increased weight of a Large Shuttle cost more fuel to launch/land.

20 hours ago, c1derly said:

Since the crafting patch the medium shuttle has mostly become useless.  You can make one pretty close to as soon as you leave the first planet and before the large shuttle.  But the medium shuttle only works off of hydrozene and by the time you have the materials to make that you can make a large shuttle and there is very little research point difference.  It seems like one of the following should be true.  1.) the large shuttle is hard to get materials for or requires more research.  2.) The medium shuttle can take solid fuel thrusters to allow you to carry more to new planets near the beginning.  3.) hydrozene can be made without needing Iron.  Maybe doesn't require gas to create?

I totally agree. I never bother building a medium shuttle, even prior to patch 0.10. I always go straight for the large one, because building the medium one is just pointless to me. You can only fit one double-slot itemand a seat, plus now you need an atmospheric condenser to get hydrazine. Might as well jump straight to the large shuttle...

Unless SES makes unlocking/building the large shuttle ultra expensive, I see no point building the medium shuttle at all...

20 hours ago, Wedge said:

It wouldn’t be as useless if seats mounted on Large Storage were pilotable

Those were the days!

Edited by vvhorus

57 minutes ago, NolimitsHD said:

Maybe one day all shuttles will be build without inbuild engines or fueltanks.

That's an important point. I'd imagine vehicle modularity is something which will be expanded upon:Vehicle built parts by parts is something on the frequent suggestions list. It wouldn't just be limited to shuttles, but ground vehicles too. 

For instance, rover tiers will be modular - comprised of different materials, with varied performance based on terrain, gravity, payload, etc:
Plastic
Tweel.thumb.jpg.88fd7bce1977bfc8bd37d268125e074a.jpg
Aluminum
depositphotos_169186976-stock-video-lunar-rover-on-rocks.jpg.ecd83336bbf4ad1237885766bbb90bb7.jpg
Aluminum Alloy
882ba6ce-7348-4627-8c69-e170c826193b.jpg.b551f7a26ede97a26e0b023042b874f2.jpg
Titanium Alloy
292842714_800px-Curiosity_rovers_damaged_left_front_wheel_sol_411.jpg.0ad13accbc8f5dc11af8e5f151acb15c.jpg

As for shuttles, there may be different kinds of engines to buildstandard liquid fueled engines, hybrid liquid-solid engines, and aerospikes (for super fuel efficiency).

Edited by Wedge

The aero spikes are something which would be amazing when vehicular modularity comes out. But with vehicular modularity, why can’t we also get player modularity and backpack modularity. It would be a bit more fun to have upgraded back packs and suits. For the vehicles we could get engines that go faster or can pull more weight with the winch. And for the shuttles different engines, landing legs, and fuel tanks/ fuel types would be a benefit for the planet hoppers.

also there could be an upgrade for the range of the shuttles from small to large.

Just now, The Tox said:

The aero spikes are something which would be amazing when vehicular modularity comes out. But with vehicular modularity, why can’t we also get player modularity and backpack modularity. It would be a bit more fun to have upgraded back packs and suits. For the vehicles we could get engines that go faster or can pull more weight with the winch. And for the shuttles different engines, landing legs, and fuel tanks/ fuel types would be a benefit for the planet hoppers.

also there could be an upgrade for the range of the shuttles from small to large.

That might just be what character customization will touch on.

On 9/16/2018 at 8:42 PM, Wedge said:

It wouldn’t be as useless if seats mounted on Large Storage were pilotable, or if the increased weight of a Large Shuttle cost more fuel to launch/land.

Totally agree.

No longer being able to pilot it when a large storage module is attached is a killer.
I was not even able to lift-off my shuttle in the most recent game (first of that patch),
because I didn't know that the habitat also does no longer work for that... So it was fully loaded and did not move anywhere... owo