backnorth

I don't know about this 'scrap' thing.

Yeh and as I've learned from a few convos on discord, many of the main commentors don't even own the game.  Seems ses are more interested in brown nosing than the opinions of their own customers.

I've found that for right now that by the time you get all the resources you need to build both the shredder and the trade outpost, you already have all the resources you need for everything. That makes the trade outpost less useful, not counting one-off things like copper or lithium that might be unavailable on a particular planet.  It's good late game for crafting a battery or a solar panel or two, but early game it's totally useless because you can't get iron or tungsten on Terran. That may be by design to force players to visit the other planets to complete their bases though.  Right now, I tend to use it mostly for malachite (copper) for the solar panels. Lithium is so expensive that it's better to go planet hopping for it. It's sometimes also useful for titanium in places that don't have it if you want a crane and drill. That said, I still think it's fun to shred things. I only wish it was easier to carry. It's really annoying that you have to carry it one at a time by hand or winch, even if you have a giant rover with loads of free storage. 

really interesting thread this. there's a lot of thought going on as to what the game is, or should be, all about. sometimes the eternal dichotomy of games is that they try to give the player both a challenge and an escape. the challenge can be in the form of puzzles or combat or grind or some fusion of these kind of elements. the escape tends to be about allowing the player to be successful in a way they might not ever be in their real world. managing that tension effectively is the hallmark of a great game.

there are players who like grind because it's appropriate as part of a simulation of how the real world works - and yet other players hate it for exactly the same reasons. when a game fails to engage with it's players its often because they haven't gotten the formula of grind quite right.

i'm an old school Diablo 3 player from way back. for me, the grind in that game (and there was a heck of a lot of it) was superbly offset by the other factors - the character development and diversity. the engaging missions and small tasks. the design and rendering of the world and it's occupants. it wasn't by any means a perfect game, but it balanced well, and i played it for many many hours.

another gamer friend of mine recommended i tried Fallout. 'you'll love it, its got a lot in common with D3'. so i tried, but i just couldn't click with it. yes it has all the elements, but for me, it didn't seem to gel quite as well, and the grind began to show through. not the game's fault, because not all games will work with all players.

i've played a boatload of hours of Astroneer, so there really has to be something going on here, otherwise i probably wouldn't even be on this forum. but grind is everywhere in this game now, and it's important they do something about it. not remove it, but find a way to infuse it with some meaning. in a way, that is the major difference between our real life and our game time. sometimes in the real world we lose control, we feel that all meaning has gone from the stuff we do just to get to the next day, the next pay packet, the next cup of coffee. in games, we should NEVER feel that, no matter how repetitive the mechanic becomes. that is our escape.

my major issue with Astroneer as it stands now is that i stop. i build a base, research stuff, dig stuff up, build more stuff, do a the minimum of planet hopping, then i stop. because i cant see the point in keeping going. try another planet. why? it's pretty much more of the same, the challenges are identical if mixed a bit differently. go exploring. what for? there's literally nothing to see that i haven't already seen. make a shredder and shred scrap. to what endt? exchange for stuff i have already or can get from somewhere else? it's only then that the grind begins to, well, grind.

i guess after reading the smart and insightful comments on this board my new definition of grind has become 'that game mechanic that reveals itself when the rest of the game has ceased to engage it's player at some other level'. lets hope the final game content can provide this level.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:25 PM, Bron said:

my major issue with Astroneer as it stands now is that i stop. i build a base, research stuff, dig stuff up, build more stuff, do a the minimum of planet hopping, then i stop. because i cant see the point in keeping going. try another planet. why? it's pretty much more of the same, the challenges are identical if mixed a bit differently. go exploring. what for? there's literally nothing to see that i haven't already seen. make a shredder and shred scrap. to what endt? exchange for stuff i have already or can get from somewhere else? it's only then that the grind begins to, well, grind.

THIS! SOooOoOooooo much this! I too am a 'from way back' gamer, preferring the grind to hand-held 'here's godmode' gaming.

I'm willing to put the time in to Astroneer (and already have) but I rarely have the gumption to go farther than to one planet, cuz why bother? I can get what I want from the trade platform and scrap is absolutely everywhere.

That being said, it'll get there, I'm sure. ...I hope so!