Ghostwolf93

Expanded options for customising Beacons

At the moment we have five different colours for setting the Beacons to (plus a strobing/flashing version of red), but this isn't enough. As well as adding one or two more colours (Yellow? Cyan? Brown? Pink?), we should be able to further customise each Beacon so as to better represent what it stands for.

I am thinking that instead of just switching between each colour, clicking on a Beacon brings up a small interactive display with four options:

1). An On/Off button, used for switching the Beacon on and off.

2). A colour button, for switching between each available colour (around six or more).

3). A Style or Mode button, which switches between flashing and non-flashing modes.

4). An Icon button, which switches between different icons that the Beacon shows.

For the icons, I'm thinking of the following options: the default would be what we currently have, a single white dot in the centre. Option two would be a trio of white dots, just like what we used to have on vehicles. Option three would be the white Hab icon, useful for marking out where we plan on placing a Habitat before we've unlocked it. Option four would be a white Star in the centre. Finally, option's five through to eight would be the four symbols that represent the four suits in a deck of cards: a white Heart, a white Diamond, a white Spade and a white Club.

With the ability to customise the colour, state and icon of a Beacon, players will have much more options when it comes to configuring their beacons in game.

If anyone has any suggestions for additional or alternate colours, modes or icons, please share them below.

I like the idea of more beacon options, but if it is a trade off between more options and game performance, I would choose performance. This may be easy to implement, or a total nightmare, only the developers know for sure.

I really want the option to add text to them as well. Not text that shows up in the world, necessarily. I don't mind having to walk up to it to see what note I left myself. "I've explored this tunnel, it's empty" or "large scrap items ahead" are recent notes I would have left myself while exploring underground. I would also use these to mark where I plan to put things around my base, "Smelter goes here" etc. It's also a good way to leave messages to other players.

That said, this wouldn't be nearly as helpful an addition if I couldn't turn off the beacon's broadcasting an icon. I might install 8 beacons around my base, and that would be annoying to see from a distance.

On 9/13/2018 at 3:42 PM, Bihlbo said:

I might install 8 beacons around my base, and that would be annoying to see from a distance.

What about an option to adjust the distance you can see the Beacons from? So for what you are describing here, you could set the distance to be within to something like ten meters or less before it appears. That would solve the problem.

Edited by Ghostwolf93
Better clarification