SES_joe

Astroneer 1.0 QOL suggestion thread

Please make wind power more consistent.Solar should be powerful, but with the drawback of night, but Wind should have a lower power output cap, but give power almost all the time. If the planet has any kind of weather, it should have the minimal amount of wind power.

I remembered a good one, bothered me for ages.

When you’re sitting in hab, vehicle, whatever, the game doesn’t (and don’t think it ever has tbh) take into consideration passage of time and how that should affect certain things. Specifically, charging your power and refilling your oxygen. Drives me nuts! Not expecting everything to charge up and fill up instantly (though, if that we’re the only way to do it, program it, I’d be fine with that of course! It’d save a lot of time lol). I’d be plenty happy if they’d fill based on whatever the equivalent rate would be (calculated based off how much time you’ve been inside whatever you’re in, using whatever the charge or fill rate is from tether or whatever standard the Devs find appropriate). Whatever is chosen, the passage of time should be evident in the state of your equipment i.e. tanks filling, batteries charging. Batteries may charge, can’t remember for sure, but I know tanks aren’t being filled and that’s annoying, and more important now than ever. It’s just illogical not having them fill while inside your base, or sitting in equipment that provides life support.

Unless something changes in provisioning life support, PLEASE fix this. Always frustrates me to go into a place, my oxygen tanks mostly empty, yet after being stuck in there for a few minutes (like IRL minutes) due to some stupid storm or such, I come back out and nothing has changed. Tanks still same unfilled state, it makes no sense. Thanks :) 

P.S. Oh and the pack on your dead body still has items in it backwards (mirror image) and also rotated 90 degrees I guess (if you look at a tether pack for example it’s not oriented the way it’s supposed to be, same for anything that’s rectangular or whatever, hopefully that made sense I don’t feel I’m making much sense right now lol sorry)

Edited by Shadow Echo

1. Make a flat surface very painful... yeah, I watched guide videos how to do them, and I even did it a couple of times, but it's still torture

Suggestion 1: highligth fllater pointer when it on "realy" flat surface (by your hidden grid, not just by perpendicularly to gravity)

Suggestion 2: change angle of flatten surface (when ctrl is hold) by mouse wheel with 5 or 15 degreese step

in fact, I would like to see the angle of the current surface to the horizon as number, but I do not think that it fits into the design ...

2. Mods on terrain tool can be disabled.

I understand, that this is done so that the conflicting modes do not work simultaneously. But constantly monitor the green rim on the right modes is difficult. Easier to monitor what is now installed on the tool. Especially since non-conflicting modes constantly disabled each other without a reason ...

I usualy has boost and wide modes, but sometimes i need allignment or inhibitor. When I set or remove additional mod it turn off boost mod. To turn it on i shood remove it and set it back. It very annoying...

Suggestion: If mod is set on terrain tool is shood be allways turned on. If set conflict mods like narrow and wide, first shood be removed from terrain tool at bag or ground.

Edited by vitaliy_pashkov

So some people might say this isn't exactly QoL guidelines because it would be new technology, but I would like to see some more stuff just for messing around like the fireworks or thruster. This also doesn't really effect current in-game systems so it would follow under that guideline.

Examples:

• A slingshot for launching zebra balls, or other such items (possibly even interplanetary launch?)
  • Basketball hoop that keeps score (I know make your own but advanced tech should be able to have fun and games)
  • Rover color customization (could require terrain analyzer as a component) (this would make rover racing a little fun with custom vehicles)

Edited by StubbornDonkey

Mentioned on the (now official) Discord but we REALLY need some sort of running lights for vehicles. To me, running lights aren’t same as for most of the world (I remember my first car had “running lights” in the car manual, which I dutifully read, I think for Canadian versions; described as fog lamps or dimmed headlamps that otherwise are on anytime your principle headlights aren’t on, the ones you use in dim or dark conditions etc). What I’m talking about would be more for enhancing our ability to see our vehicles (primarily terrestrial craft but it would be nice to have for all craft, for unifying design) so we can see them more easily when they’re out there in the terrain especially in the dark of night. That can be incredibly hard sometimes! So here are some suggestions.

-front and rear running lights (like most cars have now that are constantly illuminated regardless of ambient light levels)

-a high visibility band or undercarriage lighting system (similar to the neon blue band that lines the circumference of the platforms)

I would use a different color, not the blue used for platforms. Maybe a high-vis yellow for the terrestrial craft, similar to power color, and violet, similar to the color of hydrazine, for spacecraft. Most important, it needs to be a neon glow type color similar to the blue one for platforms, something that is easy to catch your attention from fairly long distances, like I said something high-vis. Particularly important to be able to pick out in the darkness, distinguish between it and the surrounding terrain, or find underground.

Right now it’s easy to lose sight of one out in a mixture of rocks (boulders), trees, hills, grass (and other decorators) etc. I find beacons are disabling themselves sometimes and thats another worry, so I implore the Devs to add this feature. Really should’ve been added shortly after inception, but I’ve thought about it awhile (keep forgetting) so I’m adding it now to the QoL thread. They may have some upcoming changes to look of the vehicles idk, they’re always working on new stuff, but this should be incorporated nonetheless . If you bother crafting a vehicle, chances are you’re using it to haul some important cargo at some point. Not fun losing  it! Rovers can be hard to spot even during the daytime I’ve found (on Terran anyway, ymmv, also depends on the background esp the planet and it’s colors). Thanks :) 

1) Need to be able to turn scrappers on/off, so many times I've accidentally scrapped a medium storage on my scrapping rig while trying to rearrange.

2) A storage solution. I do love having all my extra large platform bs full of medium storage, full of resources. It looks really nice, but some kind of mass storage would propably help with the lag problem in my base. Can hardly play on Terran because of the framerate issues. Maybe tiered dispensers you can fill with 50/100/200 items. 

3) A compass while in a rover

4) Make storms happen less often on Terran but other than that don't change a thing with them. Working through a storm is one of my favorite parts of the game, so intense. Although sometimes there will be 2-3 in a row and it makes it hard to get things done.

5) Allow the winch to move the shuttles, or allow them to be scrapped, something to get them out of the way.

6) Oxygen filters work like Power Cells, not used until o2 is empty

7) Setting to increase cursor speed on xbox, its painfully slow.

Posted (edited)

1 - First person camera mode.  So when we go inside those tubular wrecks or tiny caves, our camera is no longer impossible to reorient.

2 - (PC) Be consistent with the use of ALT+Q/ALT+E and CTRL+Q/CTRL+E.  Right now, the research chamber will respond to CTRL+Q when inactivate, but does NOT respond to it when running.

3 - Remove the ability to slot resources on the output nozzle of the smelting furnace or make the hit boxes for the input nozzles more responsive.  With the large platform with ears that was unlocked at the start prior to 0.10.0.0, this was not much of an issue, because you could just drop resources on the side and the furnace would grab them.  But now you are usually forced to put them directly on the nozzles in early game.  More often than not you play a game trying to click the right location to drop off the resource and not brick your smelting furnace.

4 - Horns for ground vehicles.  BEEP!  BEEP!

5 - Parking/hand brakes for ground vehicles while inside them.  Perhaps "Q?"

6 - Using the crane attached to a vehicle should not act as if though the vehicle is in use, disengaging the brakes.

7 - An honest to goodness "flat" terrain option.  Just give me the face of one "cube," or the face of a 2x2x2 cube.  It doesn't have to be perpendicular to gravity, just the mirror-smooth surface 8ou get from finding one of those faces.

8 - Option to disable auto save upon entering seat/habitat.  This gets really disruptive in multiplayer games where multiple planets have been explored.

9 - Change shape of some resources.  Sharing the shape for iron/copper/zinc/titanium/tungsten/aluminum and other shared shapes makes it difficult to distinguish for players with color visibility issues.

10 - Dedicated landing spots for shuttles, with occupied status indicators FROM ORBIT.  So that we don't have to guess from orbit if we are going to land on a buggy or another shuttle.

Edited by Kuros Paladin

Add the option to install 3wide seats on large rovers facing forwards, not towards the middle! Or make it so you can rotate it after it is placed. This is a very annoying problem for people just starting that don't know 2x4, or large items cant be separated from what ever they are placed.

Storms should power wind turbines.

Backwards tripple seat.JPG

I think you should make the tutorial the first thing the players who bought the game will go through. It would be great to be able to craft the tree saps, but make the amount of organic achievable from a tree limited. A list of research items would be a useful for completionists and regular players. The player would know which research items he researched and which he did not, he would be also able to check the amount of bytes a research item provides ( Only on the ones he researched).

A hot key to activate/deactivate the terrain modification tools instead have playing musical chairs to take them off your "gun"

I wish that you guys bring back the markers on the rovers. To not have a clutter then have it show on the one that has a seat connected on it and not on each one. There is also the problem with turning in a rover takes a big area to turn especially when driving up a ramp while turning. Also there is the issue with having only the front rover pulling the 3 behind it without having the others generating any momentum to support the first rover.

For future plans, if you're planning to take this further, maybe you could make a machine that is bigger than the crane, but acts like it. After you build it, you can get crashed space station parts and this machine will allow you to fix the space stations using Astronium. You can take the space stations to other planets. And, if you get enough Hydrazine, you can go to 2 other solar systems, discover more resources, discover more technology.

Could you also make a bin for the salvages when finding a wreck, so you can take the small salvagables and put them in the bin to take back to your home base. The bin would also have a lid on it so if you hit a rock, nothing bounces out of the bin. This would only work for the tier one salvagables. And the bin would cost 4 titanium, fabricated from the vehicle bay, and the bin would take up 4 module slots and cannot be moved. When fabricated from the vehicle bay, it will not be a box needed to be opened after the fabrication. It will be like fabricating a large storage.

For larger structures especially those that cannot be split apart, and for shuttles/rovers. Some method to cause them to self-destruct without damaging the surroundings (so not TNT) should ideally leave scrap parts for salvage but I could live without that...

Mod management system, either directly binding tools mods to a key or have each tool slot bound to a key so you can toggle each on/off.

Combine wide/narrow mods into a single mod that you can set the width from smaller than narrow to wider than wide.

Remove batteries from Rovers replacing them with extra appropriate tier slots for Rover & Big Rover. Give buggy a built in small generator. The current built in batteries are in comparison to the small cell very weak IMO.

When using hydra-zine thrusters on Rovers the thrusters should only thrust while you have the button held down.

Allow use of attached modules while in Rovers (allow toggling on/off), especially for generators.

Give large large platform C the double sockets on the side panels as well. And maybe flip the side panels 90 degrees and add a second side to them.250px-Large_platform_C.png?version=aa754

Add a "Long-Term research" that you could cue up multiple research objects on but it takes more resources to make and takes longer to research but it's for like research bases and stuff.

Also add a shuttle that only has enough fuel to get to a planet and back, but has a internal storage to carry a ton of stuff for building bases. 

And internal storages that have like a catalog on the front that shows what you have in it so you don't have to have tons of medium storages and despawn the resources that go into it so it is easier on the processor. 

Also add terrestrial bases that you can add stuff inside of like a garage to store rovers and have a bed and options like have the long term research need to be on the base. And you can like walk around in them. 

And space stations that can hold resources and fuel and you can ship stuff to them and then refuel there.

Edited by Carson St. Amand

• Give us the ability to move shuttles with the winch so we can safely dispose of them when upgrading to a larger shuttle
  • make the landing pad next to the habitat the default landing location when returning to a plaent with a shuttle landing next to the vehicle bay is annoying

Planetary landing sites which are occupied should be colored differently.

The blue markers visible from an orbit that you click in order to land your shuttle on a planet should have a different color when something is already placed in that location. That is, if a vehicle bay does not allow you to build  because something is blocking the building area OR allows you to build only attachments like seats, cranes, or storage, then the associated landing site bubble should get a different color, e.g. red or yellow.

Regardless of color, each bubble should still be selectable for landing your shuttle. The goal is just to give more information about the situation at the landing site.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:47 AM, Mormzy said:

Be able to increase the render distance / pop in as I want to see everything rather than be limited to 5 meters in front of me

This. cant stress this enough. Major issue. Please look into this. Otherwise i think its a really cool game with great potential. Hope to see it succeed. 

After playing exotic moon test and seeing no improvements i must admit i got really disappointed, as rumor would have it this was one of the many things terrain 2.0 would fix (if moon test is not terrain 2.0, if such a thing even exists,  then my mistake)

On 9/11/2018 at 5:24 PM, Kamil said:

Make the medium battery stop moving because i can't see how full it is. Its annoying for me.?

I second this. Ending up zooming really close, trying to look into the tiny gap under the bars/cells, is the other side yellow or black.. While the design might be cool, the "Revolver battery", Its not very practical. Simple solution would be to just stop it from always facing camera pov, and have a fixed front side, or stop it spining alltogether or add a 2nd indicator on top of the battery. Alternatively, redesign it completely.