SES_joe

Astroneer 1.0 QOL suggestion thread

• Change the way wind works so It affects a larger area instead of a small one.
  • Make the habitat beacon more visible.
  • Being able to drive through the larger stalagmite.
  • Make wind turbines spin during sandstorms. (Probably breaking the limits of the thread)
  • Make wind turbines spin when driving rovers. (Will most likely be too powerful, just a thought)
  • Improve online connectivity to cause less lagg during online gameplay. (I don't know the right word to use instead of "online connectivity" though I experience this after having played with friends for a longer period of time during a single save.)

A tier 3 module you can put on a platform that displays the area around you and it’s Resources. There would be expansion mods. It also displays beacons. 

1. Balance change.   The pendulum of balance between resin and compound has been swung too far toward needing resin.  I suggest changing medium storage to need 1 compound and 1 resin, instead of 2 resin, to restore balance. 

2. The large shredder should be able to shred anything that can be made with the small backpack printer, such as a medium platform.   If it can shred a dropship, it should be able to shred a medium platform. 

3. If the vehicle bay is to become the large printer, then the buggy should be printable by the medium printer. 

Edited by probro

Just thought of a few more QOL improvements.

Displaying total bytes after you're done collecting harvestables. While picking up harvestables, it will show you the amount in bytes that was added. After that, it will display your grand total of bytes you've collected. This would be very helpful especially at the beginning when you're looking to unlock a specific item.

Adding a "Little Flag" to the buggy whip on the small rover. ?

Remove collision detection on these "green stubby plants" on Exotic. These plants are extremely annoying when driving over. Constantly getting stuck on these little buggers is so frustrating, especially when you don't have the inhibitor yet.

RcjTtzM.png

I think filters should be changed back to compound, it was a needless change and pushes too much.

I can understand changing medium storage to require resin philosophically as it’s a structural material of sorts (used for making platforms). However, I don’t agree with increasing the overall amount of material need to craft stuff. Our backpacks didn’t get any larger, so making things that used to require only one of something now require two is (1) unnecessary,  (2) inconvenient, and (3) incredibly insensitive to the player. It was a bad design choice, and should be remedied. Continuity in crafting mattters far less than accommodating the player and the cargo space of the pack. No reason for medium platforms to require 2 resin, nor large platforms 3. Personally I don’t like being required to use the square platforms either by default, y’all had plenty of time to change the default platform and I say at this point the default was settled on the larger ones with more side storage. At the very least, make it to where I can remove modules I’ve had no choice but to place on the square platforms. That way once I unlock the former large “A” platform I can transfer those modules over. Also need to be able to scrap those platforms in the Shredder. You shouldn’t have tried to use the same nomenclature though, maybe changed it to platform 1& 2. Too confusing going back and renaming what was formerly B as A now, what were you thinking SES?

BIG QoL suggestion:

Entering the settings menu should PAUSE THE GAME!!!

How you’ve let the game go this long without a proper pause button is beyond me. We’ve needed one since the very beginning. Sometime you need to go do something and you can’t because you’re not on tether, or in vehicle, and filters don’t last long enough to answer a phone, see to someone like a child or sick person, whatever it’s just not adequate. Fix this please! Thank you.

To add some more about suggestions regarding clouds...clouds should be semitransparent (at a minimum) when you’re loading into a new game (launching from station, if that’s the mechanism that’ll stay the same idk) so we can better see our surroundings as we come in for a landing. I don’t keep each “spawn” I like to decide if it’s worth trying to use, I’d like to be able to see where I’m landing and what’s around there please.

Also about clouds, couldn’t agree more they should never obscure beacons or the stalks leading to beacons. Clouds shouldn’t obscure any important info. Pretty simple concept actually.

If possible, it’d be even better if we could use the dropship’s thrusters it make minute changes in our final approach to change our landing site a little. Not by a lot, that would mess many things up I’m sure. Ways this would help

-if you’re going to land in a ditch but don’t want to, you could maneuver over land

-you could avoid being right in the middle of a bunch of trees if you don’t want to be (reminds me, please make it to where the black “hard terrain” causes ALL terrain features, rocks, any debris or wreckage, trees, ground decorator items, anything, to despawn immediately and NEVER come back upon initial landing and deployment of your habitat and the hard terrain).

-if you want to land in a ditch or canyon that’s close by I suppose you could, although most of us hope to have the option to turn storms off regardless?

and more..

As others have mentioned, tethers need work (too tedious to deploy on Xbox, too difficult to keep them in a line, the visual aid for deploying them needs work as well it’s not helpful the way it is)

Also the compass needs to be more readily visible, it can be finicky sometimes and is often impossible to see when there is grass or other ground clutter around. It’s too useful to let it be obscured so easily.

Just as a reminder:

Entering settings should PAUSE THE GAME

Edited by Shadow Echo

Automatically turn on the rover's handbrake when using a crane on a rover. Currently the handbrake is turned off when operating a crane with a drill so that the rover slides on even the slighest of uneven terrain which makes the use of the drill fairly difficult, further undermining its currently little uses and driving even more players away from using it.

Make it so that equipping a Boost Mod to the Deform Tool while having a Wide Mod equipped as well does not turn off the Wide Mod. Currently when doing so or when loading a save while having both Boost Mod and Wide Mod equipped turns off the Wide Mod.

The one thing that has been massively bugging me? I would LOVE it if you guys could add an option in settings to use a different button for the terrain tool than for interaction. Like have them each be their own option. I cannot tell you the sheer number of times I have had my cursor pointed at a rover seat, held E to get in like it prompts, and instead of interacting and letting me sit, having my terrain tool pop out. It was hugely annoying and almost made me rage quit, it happened that many times. I would love it if you guys would allow those two functions to be on separate keys for people like me who dislike keys that do multiple things in a game because the game is not really good at knowing which function the user wants to use at a given moment. I saw a previous post on here that had the same issue with the Q key, we really need to fix this, I recognize that not everyone may have that issue which is why it should be optional but it is a huge problem for me.

Custom mouse/Keyboard settings which won't reset to default after a restart. The current state is inacceptable.

Fix all control issues by making them separate entries in the 'controls' settings.  Also allow two different keybinds like most games out there, allowing both keyboard and mouse events in either slot.  Include all current mouse events at configurable options.  Split out some of the "overloaded" keybinds like select/use/tool into separate things so people can just assign other keys/mouse clicks to them.

Tethers can get long, I’m busy with a task and a friend jumps on... he selects start of tether and sees a list I put up of what is along that particular tether chain. Certain ore, ungathered research, crashed spaceship solar panel we need at base camp, etc....

XBOX Directed:

1. While carrying a large object, camera controls are wonky. You sometimes have to drop and re-pickup the item to regain proper control of it.

2. Crane control needs much work. It's ok for it to do the auto drill kinda thing with a drill head on it, but for a winch on the end moving things like large debris, forget about it! You have a whole separate stick you aren't using, isolate the camera controls and crane controls. Maybe add an electromagnet, claw, spike-like on the end of the winch for using the crane as a crane.

3. Storms...I hate sitting in the HAB waiting for them to pass doing nothing. I usually walk away and get coffee. Mini-game? Remote rover to move things around camp? Some kind of research mechanic inside the HAB? Something to do, please...other than spin the camera around in circles trying to make the arstoneer vomit in his helmet.

4. Grid snap option. While placing base items, maybe a snap option, at least for rotation. Trying to line things up with LB and RB isn't the easiest for those of us with OCD alignment disorder.

5. D-Pad. Could we use the left and right D-Pad to turn instead of running the cursor to the side of the screen? It's a small thing, but an issue that breaks the game flow.

6. Colored tethers. Option to cycle through tether colors like the beacon colors. After a few hours, my screen looks like a tangled neon blue fishing line. With colors I could know the red line is to the resin deposit, green to copper, etc.

7. Move all from X to X. An option to stand next to an empty medium storage and press (insert player input here) to move all backpack items to the storage, or vice versa. It's a bit tedious doing this with thumbsticks on a controller.

8. Winch. Would be nice if the winch winched. A retractable cable that when activated, pulled the object toward you. (Sorry that one may be gameplay related)

9. Parking brake for rovers. When drilling, parked on a steep slope, or sitting out a storm, It would be nice to be able to lock the wheels so you don't drift away.

Edited by marvintm

I play Xbox as well, an I the pink that3 might be interesting if a tad bit exisessive, would be good (like the old rainbow- tether days) . Also 5 could be good. I would love feature 7, especially for the storages on my mining rover.

1: Quick swap everything in the backpack with everything in a medium storage

2: Medium storage should lay flat, I wish they would by default just always lay flat except on the (currently named) large platform B, the one that obviously is not suitable for the medium storages to lay flat.... but everywhere else they should be flat because it is easier to access what they contain from any direction. When placed on the ground they should be more stable than the inflatable rubber bouncy bottom they get, all too often that bottom appears in something solid and causes the storage to fly off.

3: Speaking of flying off.... MANY things have the tendency to suddenly realize they occupy 3D space with another solid, and suddenly zing off into the clouds never to be seen again. How about a restriction on acceleration. If something has suddenly decided to play space ship, you just set the speed to zero and let it start over. Once you get the correct speed threshold set, it should correct things that fly off while leaving gameplay as expected.

4: To close off the flying topic, take the opposite. The planets eat things that find themselves under the skin of the surface. Well for the things floating on the mouse it should be easy enough to prevent them from going under this skin of support...If I can walk on it I should not be able to push things through it while floating them on the mouse. This is (my) most common way to drop something to the core of the planet. I (like many others) have had rovers and other things left laying loose (like the medium storage sitting on the ground) find their way to the center of the planet as well. (this seems to be more common if you wander off, they are gone when you return)

5: FLAT GROUND - This has been suggested since before I bought the game. We want 2 types of 'flat'....

On 9/14/2018 at 6:13 AM, Fireforge said:

Allow opening the Research Catalog while in a vehicle or habitat. I've often wanted to browse or spend bytes while stuck in a storm. You could also allow managing the backpack in this state, but that would be really disruptive.

cant agree more. in fact, this is THE key QoL component that could just go overlooked unless someone points out how vital it could be. so i will do that.

Why do so many people hate the storms? because they hate being forced to STOP and WAIT whilst the storm passes. but if they could still be useful and productive, even if that was just planning, whilst the storm passed overhead then the whole issue of storms simply goes away.

browsing the research catalog, looking at crafting menus, studying terrain maps, viewing telemetry readouts from sensors you set up that measure wind speed and direction, maybe even backpack and digging tool management, all these might be doable from inside the habitat. perhaps a radio to listen to signals coming in from home. maybe a simple board-style game to pass some time. perhaps mission logs or data packets salvaged from the wrecks. the opportunities are endless.

in the end it's simple: players like to be busy. storms prevent them from being so. giving them stuff they can get on with whilst the storm is raging is the only sensible, logical solution.

here's my second QoL suggestion: no-one likes having their newly tidied base re-occupied by plants and rocks, it's just a lot of annoying work. and it makes creating clear 'roads' to drive down all but impossible.

but the tools are there to resolve this if the devs wanted to fix this, and really simply.

just make one terrain colour impervious to regrowth. i would suggest it be the black stuff that bases are given to sit on, but it need not be, it could be more difficult to find - for example, it could be on another planet and not on terran at all.

then, to make flat, clear ground, you 'sample' the colour with a copy tool, then you clear and flatten your ground with the inhibit and regular flatten tools, then you 'paint' that ground with the impervious colour. voila! no more plans or rock regrowth.

i cant imagine anything easier to implement in the current game.

just to extend on the points in my last post, Ive never much seen the point of the 'colouring set' tool mods, although i recognize that they could be huge fun to play with for some players.

but if these terrain sampling tools could sample and duplicate more than just the colours of the landscape, but also colour-specific attributes held by that landscape, then we might be on the verge of something truly remarkable.

it would require a serious rethink of the way the landscape spawns now, but it's not outside the bounds of possibility. for example, if a particular type of plant only grows out of blue ground, for example, then copying that ground and painting a patch of it near your base might yield that plant in a convenient place. that's farming, after a fashion.

maybe a particular ground colour is too dense to throw dust and rocks up when storms pass over it. you still get the storm and high wind, but the visibility and dangerous rocks would cease. helps to protect your base from storms.

you might even extend this to particular resources being only found in particular colours. repainting areas would increase (but not guarantee) the chances of finding that resource if you dig there.

the extreme range of this idea could be fun (if a little irrational). imagine being able to sample a whole terrain type from another world and recreate it on Terran! a small patch of irradiated, complete with rolling spiky things in it! maybe a slab of barren, including a lower gravity experience!

i know the last few were kind of daft, but ultimately were talking the potential to terraform other worlds here. suddenly that colouring box isn't looking so childish after all.

On 9/13/2018 at 5:17 AM, Chris J said:

- turbines should spin like crazy during storms! But they don't!

i admit i was one of those who piped up with the whole 'wind turbines lock themselves down in big storms to prevent damage' argument, but I'm seriously getting cheesed off by this one. look here:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3064941/this-typhoon-proof-wind-turbine-can-produce-power-in-a-storm

that kind of technology should be the de facto standard for any future extra-planetary missions. storms are a huge power resource just going to waste.

you've got no excuse now, guys.

7 minutes ago, Bron said:

Why do so many people hate the storms? because they hate being forced to STOP and WAIT whilst the storm passes. but if they could still be useful and productive, even if that was just planning, whilst the storm passed overhead then the whole issue of storms simply goes away.

I wish it were that simple but it isn’t. Giving players something to do doesn’t make the problem go away.

There are several reasons players dislike storms. Here are two of them:

(1) they are a useless mechanic that wastes a player’s valuable time

While offering mini games or other activities a player can engage in (such as sorting inventory, managing catalog and research progress, spending Bytes, perhaps printing items, etc) might satisfy some users, and that’s if SES would even consider such a thing, it doesn’t change the fact storms restrict player options overall. Some won’t be near their habitat and will be forced to hole up somewhere, on open terrain (dig a shelter, where options will be almost nil), sit in their vehicle (maybe a few more options than impromptu shelter provides but less than the main hab), or underground (perhaps offering the most possibilities outside of main base, yet still incredibly problematic due to the continued existence of storms underground, a completely ridiculous concept all around). Storm effects shouldn’t exist when in deep caves after all, but the Devs have yet to change storms to correct this obvious oversight.

(2) storms appear to be one of the worst offenders when it comes to degraded performance on Xbox One

A lot of respondents here appear to be PC players so I’m guessing why this isn’t well-known. Some may argue it’s a bit subjective, but I disagree.  I’ve played over a thousand hours as have many others on Xbox and the impact is quite obvious. Performance drop due to storms has in fact gotten worse with the last several updates. Now the game hitches noticeably when a storm loads in (like a mini-freeze). Your character not only is slowed, but for no reason whatsoever your ability to do anything else is slowed as well. Talk about breaking immersion. Browsing the backpack, the catalog, trying to print in your backpack, trying to browse module menus, even holding the X and Y buttons to examine or interact is painfully slow. The longer you play a save, the longer the storms last and performance suffers more accordingly. Saves in general degrade over time, but storms certainly accelerate this process. I have no doubt the performance of Astroneer on Xbox One would improve significantly if storms were removed (or we had an option to disable them in the menu). In fact it’s possible adding the option to do more while in the habitat or vehicle during a storm will cause performance to worsen for players on Xbox so I doubt that’s the answer. The Devs have had almost 2 years to work on storms and they’re still a terrible experience for a lot of players. If that’s not an indication storms just aren’t working out, I don’t know what is. Many players admit to (1) taking a break and leaving the game when a storms hits, (2) leaving the game altogether, or (2) leaving Terran as soon as possible to play on Barren where there are no storms. That alone should be sending Devs a message loud and clear: we don’t want storms. 

People want weather. That doesn’t mean they want sandstorms. There’s a lot more to weather than storms, and weather doesn’t need to have associated negative effects or hazards. I think people say they want weather when often what they’re really interested in is space phenomena. Most of us aren’t that interested in seeing actual weather like we have on Earth, that’s not all that interesting tbh. I played Destiny a lot. It had acid rain or something on Venus I think, and was quite boring tbh. Mars, as one would expect, was a big red desert planet. Again, not very stimulating. The worlds of Destiny 2 by comparison were designed to look much more extravagant. They were far more interesting to look at as a result. Weather itself doesn’t play a big part, but the skies often display remarkable views. Asteroid rings, all sorts of cool stuff to look at. That’s the sort of stuff I’d like to see, many others I’m sure. Maybe phenomena similar to our own aurora, comets, etc. Cool sci-if stuff that makes you want to stop and look up at the sky and go “Wow would you look at that! It’s so cool!” Things that make you stop your work because you want to, not because you have to or your forced to or you’ll take damage etc. That’s what the Devs should strive for, to leave us in awe, not fear or frustration. While we’ll adapt to what we see quickly, they can include unique, dynamic events from time to time, special limited events. Similarly I hope they’ll include holiday events as well (like the holiday tether colors, we’ve not seen anything during Alpha which has been kind of dissapointing really). Maybe we’ll see them do something for Halloween! (hint hint!)

So you see, storms are problematic especially for their drain on performance. Just giving players something to do while they pass isn’t an adequate solution at all. Wish it were, but it isn’t especially for console players (and there’s a lot more of us than the PC community realizes). 

Regarding storages...I agree it would be awesome to have a means to quick select a number of items and have them mass-transfer over to a storage be it from another storage, your backpack, whatever. What I’d like to see is a way to enter a multiple select option. Once you enter that option, you would click on each item you want to move to another location to highlight it (or click again to remove the highlight if you’ve made a mistake). Once you’re done you’d hit whatever you did to enter the option and choose your destination and voila everything would be transferred to that destination (provided it fits, otherwise you’d receive an error message I guess).

In choosing how this would work, the Devs would need to find some method suitable for both consoles and PC. That means it can’t be some random keybinding option. I see too many PC players on the forums, many of them apparently ignorant of the fact SES (as a very small indie studio) only makes one version of Astroneer and that version must work for BOTH PC and Xbox. This means whatever control systems are developed must work not only for kbm but for gamepads too. Of course somewhere along the line the game interprets appropriate inputs relative to the platform it runs on (such as WASD or whatever it is for PC, and for console we have a choice of absolute steering using sticks or camera-based, which the game originally used). But the overall scheme of control must match up in a general sense. It blows my mind how some think adding more keybinds and such is the solution to everything that ails Astroneer. It’s not that simple. There may come a time when the versions split off, but that’s not how things work right now. I admit I don’t know much about gaming or computers, and I mean no disrespect to anyone. It’s just frustrating when you see this important concept ignored (or misunderstood) over and over again. If what you’re speaking of in terms of adding something on PC can’t be reasonably accommodated on a gamepad, it’s doubtful it can be accommodated. That’s all. The control scheme for Astroneer on Xbox is already kind of wonky imho so good luck getting more complicated suggestions put through.

I would love this multi-select process. No idea off the top of my head how to get it to work on console, but the Devs have come up with some awesome features (Inhibitor is still my fave) so I have faith in their abilities. I’m sure they can come up with something. Just don’t make me hold a bunch of buttons forever, or read a bunch of text in minuscule font xD  

I saw a couple requests for the Catalog button to be changed, what if the tooltips were added into the catalog and the catalog became the Select/F1 designation? Instead of just the researching it would be a place for all sorts of things, almost like an RPG setup (although obviously down the line as other things may get implemented).

For example you have your tooltips (which could be fashioned in a more story setting way), the bytes catalog is a sort of skills page, a page for planetary information (not necessarily a map but information like which resources can be found on your current planet), and maybe a character page (Looking at, swapping color palette, equipment, emotes, etc.) As was mentioned giving access to this while in the Hab can make waiting out storms useful rather than just time consuming.

Obviously the QoL is just changing the button mapping, but it gives the possibility for much more down the road.

1.When I'm on my JCB (large rover with crane/drill) or recycling truck (large rover with shredder) the nuggets that I produce (resources or scrap) always go to any of the rovers open slots first before they fill up the medium storage that I put on the rover to facilitate unloading.  If possible could you reverse this so that the produced nuggets go to the storage as a priority.

2.It would be helpful if the item I just produced in the chemical lab would move to the shoulder slot / attached storage rather than sitting in the "output tray" which blocks the machine.  If it jumped to storage I could then start producing the next item without having to exit the controls.

Neither of these are game breaking by any stretch of the imagination but I'm lazy so it would improve the quality of my lazy life. ?

Would be nice if the crane light would light up where the drill head is drilling instead of straight ahead from the seat of the crane..

I'd like to suggest a popup that states 'Someone is attempting to join your game' or 'Someone has joined your game'  so I'm not running around thinking I'm by myself, come back to base and finding surprise company.  Maybe as part of an In game text chat. 

Alternatively a way to set my game as Joinable or Not Joinable. 

Moderation notice

Please remember that this thread is for Quality of Life (QoL) suggestions, as mentioned in post #1:

On 9/10/2018 at 10:36 PM, SES_joe said:

QoL improvements are not new features, new systems, overhauls to design, or critical bug fixes.

So if there are some small things that have been bothering you, or don't match up with what you think a thing should do, or something that could be WAY better with just a small tweak, drop it in here! Thanks!

Posts not qualifying as such have been removed/hidden (constructive posts that contribute to/discuss QoL suggestions have only been hidden, so the developers still can see them) and multi-posts have been merged.

Thanks for your feedback!

Remove the "pointing" action.   Never once in over 750 hours of gameplay have I ever wanted to point at something.   But more times than I can count I have tried to pick up an object only to have the character point at it instead.  

Lots of good stuff to chew on here, we have definitely had bigger conversations on the team about a few topics including:

1. Storms

2. Holding big objects

3. Remembering Terrain Tool mode

4. Flattening storage via a use action

5. Pointing

6. Compass changes

There are a ton more, but just wanted to thank people for all of this great insight. No promises about these, but it is good to see what little stuff we can polish up before we get to 1.0