SES_joe

Astroneer 1.0 QOL suggestion thread

HUD to see where we go (N......E.......S.......W....... or whatever you want to call them, Exo may have their own denomination here^^)

and a marker on that HUD to find our lost body, wherever we are on the planet (instead of the "beacon" that disappear when underground)... when you die underground with millions of caverns to go to, you fail to find where your lost stuff is.

HEY EVERYONE!

This is all amazing feedback. going over it with the team so we can pick out stuff that is doable for 1.0! Thanks for all the great responses and keep them coming!

ability to toggle the personal compass

compass for vehicles 

ability to toggle your flashlight

easier way to carry larger items by hand

a more compact storage system like crates that you can store items in

sensitivity sliders for the cursors, the general cursor, the terrain tool, maybe a seperate one for when holding LT using the terrain tool for classic deforming or whatever control it is for PC

fix wires that twist and turn when in certain areas on a planet surface like the equator

tethers that clip through the ground drive me nuts make them drag on the ground if they have to and don’t allow them to connect through large bits of terrain, should allow for more strategic placement when building tether lines adding a new element to something already in the game

improve painting terrain, often some triangles will not allow you to paint them for some unknown reason, very annoying when trying to paint large areas and one spot is seemingly unpaintable

Edited by Wyvyrias
Removed extra spaces

Allow starting prints when the player is standing in the target area - in front of the device is a pretty obvious place to walk up to it. Would like to be able to start things when there is no power as well, to allow it pick up when the sun comes up or a generator starts etc.

Make printers less likely to throw resources all over the place when changing blueprints or modes (vehicle bay moving between body and addon mode)

The rendering and pop-in seriously needs to be improved, I can’t imagine someone taking the full release version seriously if that isn’t fixed.

rocks and grass and plants and even the shape of the terrain popping in from 2 meters away doesn’t look good at all.

Edited by valevma

Aesthetics count for QOL, right?  At least they should...

How Small/Med/Large spaceships are cobbled together is, frankly, embarrassing from a design perspective.  It's not consistent with the orbit experience (cool) and doesn't sync with the cool PAX Trailer Video spaceship. ?

The fact that a single enclosed seat doesn't line up with the base of the large shuttle... and the large storage overhangs and clips into the seat...  really looks amateur for an otherwise amazingly well thought out design for the game.  And in what universe is it ever ok to hang materials out in the open through the launch/landing experience?  Dropship=nice/smooth/aerodynamic with ablative bottom for descent.  Shuttles?  Wide open with materials completely exposed.  Obviously not shooting for realism on any account, but game design should be consistent.?

I get that the game is being hailed as Lego's in Space--- good enough, but Lego's are designed to fit together nicely and are aesthetically pleasing. ?

Please don't mistake the overtly critical nature of this post for me just being an a**.  I'm really not-- I just really love this game (510hrs according to steam) and want it to succeed out of the gate!  These sorts of missteps can result in negative reviews for games and thus, a diminished player-base, but worse, a poor first impression for new players. ?

Hopefully, this post was a complete waste of cycles and y'all have already redesigned the shuttles/ships from the ground up for 1.0!!! ?

Lastly--- when my little Astroneer tucks into a drop ship to hide from a storm, please close the door... it's unnerving sitting there being assaulted from every direction by square blocks blowing in at 80mph with the door wide open...  New players will ask the same question we've been asking for almost 2 years.  Why doesn't the door close? ?

Lighting. Had a work light on my shoulder, went to get some minerals in the ceiling, couldn't see a thing. The headlamps didn't go with the view of the terrain tool, the work light didn't extend deep enough into the hole I was digging, even putting it on the terrain tool hoping for a flashlight attachment reaction style didn't work. I think I got everything but not sure because I can't get it properly lit up without putting a work light and power source in the hole or running tethers to it which just seems ridiculous. 

On 9/12/2018 at 4:11 AM, Torgado said:

Lastly--- when my little Astroneer tucks into a drop ship to hide from a storm, please close the door... it's unnerving sitting there being assaulted from every direction by square blocks blowing in at 80mph with the door wide open...  New players will ask the same question we've been asking for almost 2 years.  Why doesn't the door close? ?

Agreed! Door should be open while we're out running around exploring waiting for us to return home, and closed when we're seeking shelter from the storms. (And as far as that goes, why are rover seats able to protect us from the storm? I mean I'm glad they do but it doesn't make sense.)

1. Show a small icon when you are close to your tether range limit so you can place the next one more accurately. The best option would be a dot that extends in the direction you are looking a distance equal to your remaining tether distance. 

2. Allow the small printer to be used from the buggy. 

3. All modules that are activated once should have and auto setting that makes them continue doing it when possible, like the smelter.

4. When cycling through the list of recipes in your backpack and selecting a recipe that causes the resource currently in the printer input to go back into the backpack but the backpack is full, instead of tossing the item away, have the astroneer hold it on its free hand while on the backpack screen. When you close the backpack, try to put those items back into it, and then, if there is no space, set them down at the astoneers feet.

5. Buggy tends to get stuck in small rocks often. Make the buggy liftable by the astroneer (just the buggy, no other vehicules). Instead of the flip option, the buggy is set upright when the astroneer picks it up.

6. Add a button that triggers sliding on demand, maybe keeping the jump button pressed when you land?

7. Move catalog to a different key binding, or make it work just when backpack is open. Maybe when backpack is open, Q switches between catalog and backpack. This could also be a menu toggle for behavior. This is because its annoying to keep opening the catalog by accident. 

8. Allow you to still access your backpack, catalog and module actions while in the habitat.

9. Give more slots to your habitat. Maybe change the two single slots around the door into two double slots. That way you can put medium storage or batteries there. 

I would like to see new habitats, the dropship could be the basic expansion, but once is deployed could be nice to upgrade it to a better habitat with more functionality

1 make it possible to make trees dissapear near your base

2 work more whith light please becuse nights can be pretty dark

3 make a option to tun flashlight off same whith rovers

4 make spaceships able to moeve ( i got 2 stuck in the same place)

5 more enemies 

6 make a option to remoeve clouds becuse markers can dissapear behind clouds

7 if you go whith your mouse over your astronaut you see a compass circle can you please make a small part of it blue that pionts to your base (i get lost al lot on the map)

8 when you go to a other planet the craft menu of my astronaut shakes sometimes can you fix this please 

i really like the game that you are creating its a lot of fun to play

Closest home beacon and last dead body location "X" should ALWAYS be visible, even through mountains and ground.   Regular beacons should not be blocked by clouds.  Getting lost is the biggest problem with the game. 

I wish Alignment was a default setting, or capability of the Terrain Tool, as with the ability to smooth terrain. It's intuitive, and ridiculous that being able to create level surfaces, something that can be done with a weight and string (plumb bob), is somehow a dramatically advanced technology to be researched. 

I understand the necessity for other augments... but Alignment? No, it needs to be a standard capability. 

Once a resource is done being created, like copper on a smelter or an empty canister on a soil centrifuge, it should be automatically ejected so the player doesn't have to go through an extra step to take it off and put it on a medium storage.

Edited by Kleadron

Tethers that clip through the ground drive me nuts, I always dig around the line so they aren’t doing that, make them drag on the ground if they have to and don’t allow them to connect through large bits of terrain, they must need a line of sight, maybe have them flicker when they’re clipping through the ground and make the next tether work, should allow for more strategic placement when building tether lines adding a new element to something already in the game.

Another idea to solve my nit picky issue is make any tether extendable, press and hold a button when ya’ cursor over a tether to interact with it and activate its extending function, it extends like a pole, raising the line to avoid obstacles. added with the new rule that the lines don’t work anymore when passing though an obstacle.

Another thing about tethers that’s more practical to fix, is when they attached to like a hundred base platforms at one time, just allow for one base connection please!

Another thing that drives me nuts is placing the tethers down right as I disconnect, knowing in the back of my mind that there is definitely at least a foot of unused length that I could have taken advantage of, overall extending the length that my tether bundle will go, but I just place them down the easy way cause I’m not going to adjust every single one. Maybe an automated mode for tether dropping that allows for the longest line without a doubt. I also thought a little animation for tether dropping would be nice like dropping a little disk that is the top of the tether then it jumps up and extends into the little tripod. It’d be cute and cool.

Right, so I've taken a couple of days to compile a list of the stuff. Here it is.

- alt+click with terrain tool equipped ought to work but it doesn't the first time
- when the terrain tool drains canisters to add terrain, it should from the canister with the least soil in it (that isn't empty). And when digging terrain, it should add to the canister with the most soil (that isn't full).
- I saw it in another post, but please either prevent the "click to point" when there's only one player, or have an option to disable it.
- allow the backpack to charge and power aux slots while being drained / using the fabricator.
- fix bug with wide mod where adding another augment sometimes disables the wide mod
- medium shuttles and up should require a shuttle seat rather than a rover seat to take off. Otherwise there's no point to it.
- currently the only way to cancel placing extenders is to click a spot that is too far to reach. Escape should cancel it too.
- turbines should spin like crazy during storms! But they don't!
- please please please allow T3 base modules to be moved between platforms non-destructively.
- clicking a Tier 2 item while running (ie shift-clicking) should just pick it up instead of trying and failing to put it in your inventory.
- tethers should auto-connect and get powered when shuttle lands in range. Currently you have to pick it up and put it down again.
- be able to start/queue actions to happen once power is received, rather than having to provide power, and then request the action (ex. start fabrication with no power). Research chambers already work like this.
- fix incessant platform noises when terrain is deformed near platform; you keep hearing it 3 seconds afterward and it's such an annoying noise.
- also in many other posts: rocks should not grow back. That is not how rocks should work. Certainly rocks that were cleared for a reason.
- the death sound for the purple lure enemies only plays when you get close, even if the enemy died awhile ago.

There's also a couple things with the chem lab, but I'm not sure if they really fit, plus the chem lab is new. So I'll put them here, separated:

- allow batch-processing with chem lab; like smelter, allow it to continue using resources as long as resources are attached
- speaking of the chem lab, the hotfix prevented you from putting items in the tray, but it seems you can still start a new reaction without removing the old product from the tray. I don't want to try though to find out if it gets popped out.

One other thing about the crafting update: is the idea to make it so you always have to mine for resources? Because it's nice, after a certain point in the game, to not have to mine for the rarer resources either... but, I mean, I suppose if you get enough stockpiled, what are you going to do with it anyway? So I'm not too worried about that. Thought I'd mention it anyway though.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:09 PM, jbarth09 said:
  1. Please make all power generators capable of creating their own platforms with plugs. Like the Small Solar/Generator/Wind Turbine
  2. (Xbox Specific) I would love to be able to navigate the backpack UI with the xbox d-pad. Click once on an item and it picks it up and hovers it somewhere. Move the cursor type thing to an empty slot and press a button again to drop it in the slot. If the slot selected is occupied, then the two trade places. 
  3. (Xbox Specific) Allow us to manually control the camera angle when holding something, that way we don't have to move the cursor to the edge of the screen to rotate the camera. Say, the left and right shoulder buttons on the controller will allow you to rotate the camera when holding something. 
  4. Don't give us the option to enter a rover if it is flipped. only allow us to flip it over. This was an issue for me in 9.2. Not sure if its still the same yet as I am still trying to unlock them in 10.2

You can now flip your vehicle when inside the Seat just tap X on your controller or the respective key for PC

With the small solar panels, I always have trouble when deploying them as a stand-alone instead of on a platform, so a holographic outline would be very difficult. I find myself putting it down, then having to pick it up and rotate it. 

omg I have so many suggestions. I'm new here but I've played this game for over a year. I love it.

1.)  Let me start my first suggestion with the beacons or home area. It would be amazing if we could build a device that attaches to our backpack that always pointed home or to wavepoints. the beacons are nice but once you go a certain distance you cant even see them anymore, which i feel that at least a beacon should be like the name states a beacon thats is always visable no matter where you are on the map.

2.) wouldnt it be great if we had a tool or device or big hualage truck so we could gather crashed working solar panels and drag them back to our base to use? i would love to see a craftable vehicle tow truck style thats able to pick up working landing pads or shuttle bays and bring them back.

3.) A bigger grinder thats able to grind broken tables. theres tons of scrap resources laying around besides using the ones you can connect to the main hub and use as a battery the rest can be hauled away and scrapped.

4.)the ability to attach a small rover to a very large ship to explore other planets withought having to make extensive new bases

5.)instead of crafting a vehicle bay to make a ship..(which the ship always lands back to taking up spots that are needed to craft other stuff with an unmovable object) make a ship bay with a longer teether cord so it can be placed out of way of main base and has its own landing pad that the ship returns to like normal.. more then one ship.. then more then one shipbay.

6.) the ability to move terrrain verticle as to better make walls or a shelter to protect from storms. as it stands now you can only lift terrain as tall as you then it pushes to you like a upside down "L"

7.) a personal grapple hook to clinmb mountains with items on sides

8.) make extenders grindable. as it stands now ones not needed cant be destroyed so take up space.

53 minutes ago, ThePythonDev said:

Add a way to toggle between unidirectional and bidirectional electric wires

Yeah, instead of having to re-plug everything. 

I don’t know where I saw it, but I like the idea of showing where the resources are found(planet) and what you can make with them. Could put as a tab on the left side or another tab on the top. Just have resources as a logo.

Labelling the different wrecks by shredder would be good - 'small salvage', 'medium salvage', etc

On 9/14/2018 at 1:53 AM, The Tox said:

I don’t know where I saw it, but I like the idea of showing where the resources are found(planet) and what you can make with them. Could put as a tab on the left side or another tab on the top. Just have resources as a logo.

Hovering over a resource hologram will tell you where you can get stuff, I really hope they expand those tooltips to work in the catalog! 

You might have seen the fantastic Handbook from the Discord which has lots of info like that. 

Doing my best to offer implementation descriptions here, not just issues I want solved. "How"s, not just "what"s and "why"s.

• Beacon icons on the compass OR beacons on my current planet extend high enough to always be visible on horizon, no matter how far away I am from them. [1]
  • Generators only generate power and consume fuel pips when something in the power network is actually drawing power. The On/Off can still function as a Enable/Disable so if you have multiple generators in a power network, you can select which ones get consumed. [2]
  • When hovering over a "ghost" gas resource on the Chemistry Lab after selecting a recipe, list the planets that gas resource can be extracted on. You already do this for the solid resources, so a player would expect it on the gas resources as well (I know I did). [3]
  • If you stick with the current compass design, display the compass while in a rover just like how it works while walking.
  • Change the color of shuttle landing sites from orbit depending on if it's "naturally" occurring or if it's a Vehicle Bay. This would make it very easy to find my Vehicle Bays from orbit.
  • Add a holographic landing pad visual in front of the Vehicle Bay. This would better signal to the player that this equipment provides a shuttle landing pad spot. Currently, you only learn that by doing or reading a wiki. This visual could also be placed where the "naturally" occurring landing sites are.
  • Press and hold action to toggle On/Off for Terrain Tool Augments without detaching. If you need to frequently add/remove augments (like I do), it can be frustrating, especially with a full backpack.

Other things in this thread I like:

• +1 for selecting beacon icons as well as color. You've added so many beautiful new icons to the game, I'd love to use them as markers!
  • +1 to toggling click-to-ping in Settings.
  • +1 for no rock regrowth. Maybe this is waiting for the Terrain update?
  • +1 for preventing accidentally deleting research. I suggest adding a final button press that requires a press-and-hold action with all-caps red flashing warning text on the panel.
  • +1 for showing the total bytes of a research object in it's tool-tip if it's been researched before. Also a name, related to where it can be found.
  • +1 for toggling extender direction in-place (left/right/bidirectional)

My wish-list. These things either break the "not disruptive" rule or are just a lot of work and might not be 1.0 material (unless you happen to already have it planned).

• Allow opening the Research Catalog while in a vehicle or habitat. I've often wanted to browse or spend bytes while stuck in a storm. You could also allow managing the backpack in this state, but that would be really disruptive.
  • Stick as much supplementary info on resources and recipes of all kinds in the catalog. Though I imagine it would take a lot of work, that's the first place a player might look for it before resorting to a wiki.
  • Add a printer recipe for "crafting" a box back around an existing piece of equipment, consuming resources to do so. I'm sure this would have some implementation challenges around selecting what piece of equipment gets boxed.
  • Adding a vehicle power hook-up to the back of the Buggy so it can be charged more easily

1. One time, I had to abandon an entire save file because I couldn't find my way back to my base after searching for over an hour. I'm still terrified to explore too far away from the closest beacon due to this experience. I see a lot of suggesting trying to solve this similar issue, so I guess I'm not alone.
  2. I'm not 100% sure this isn't disruptive to other systems, but I wouldn't think so since batteries and power cells already work in the manner I'm suggesting.
  3. Frankly, this seems like an obvious oversight. I wouldn't be surprised if this was already on a to-do list and just got missed before the update dropped. 
Edited by Fireforge