SES_joe

Astroneer 1.0 QOL suggestion thread

Hey friends! We were having this discussion internally, so I wanted to throw it out here to get more feedback. Part of our work while we are getting to 1.0 is to finally fix quality of life changes we have been meaning to make for a while to reflect a polished 1.0 product. What qualifies as a Quality of Life improvement? See the criteria below:

A change that addresses a mismatch between design intention and player expectation.
A change that uses or changes only existing systems
Has low disruption to other features and systems in the game

Examples of ones currently on the list:

1. Changing worklights and generators so you can see the power plugs that pop out on their deployable platforms before placing them

2. A "use" action for medium storage to make them go flat or stand up

3. Oxygen tanks in aux slots should be rotated 90 degrees so you can see how full they are

QoL improvements are not new features, new systems, overhauls to design, or critical bug fixes.

So if there are some small things that have been bothering you, or don't match up with what you think a thing should do, or something that could be WAY better with just a small tweak, drop it in here! Thanks!

Adjusting the colors on the prompts for the Xbox client would be nice. I'm having some difficulty reading them while playing on a Xbox One X on a 4k and 1080p TV. 

Made a bug thread about it a while back.

Edited by Mak

1) Make it so that you can turn off the ability to ping any location by left-clicking on the ground
2) Make it so that you can toggle the shape of Medium Storages by holding E on them
3) Remove the rocks from storms or make them passive; I already have to stop and twiddle my thumbs while I wait for planetary transits and electric operations, I shouldn't have to drop what I'm doing every X minutes for an angry cloud

• HUD based compass, maybe showing beacons up to 'x' distance.
  • Better beacons (read more.  More colors, more icons (icons on 'q', colors on 'e'))
  • Change color on Home beacon.
  • rotation locking on items, free or every 45 deg.  something to help align items better, for the OCD at heart.
  • Mapper?  Bring up a map of where you've been.  We have tech to fabricate and holograms, but not make a map? ;-)
  • Fix the save lag.  Worlds will always get bigger, this is a problem.  Make save incremental or passive in the background.  Keep backups if you're worried.

Not just for generators and worklights, but holographic arrows on crates to tell which direction they go would be nice.

• Resource recipes should be shown in the research backpack on a 5th tab. ie. Quartz + Smelting Furnace = Glass. Maybe later the recipes could be unlocked by researching the resource first. ie. Research Quartz for 30 bytes and unlock the formulas associated with Quartz. That way the backpack isn't spoiling anything? (Say if astronium were to build something cool that the game wouldn't want to spoil.)
  • The Required Card on the backpack could instead show the recipe when hovered over the resource.
  • When deleting active research, show a second prompt to confirm deleting research OR auto shut the cover on the button after starting research. Why? Some of us double click out of habit which starts research and immediately deletes it.
  • Sliders on the menu UI for things like music volume. Clicking 50 times is something EXO would make us do. lol
  • Language select on the menu ui?
  • If the other ui stuff is fixed then a nice change to the backpack printer ui would be to show only items that could be printed with what is on your backpack. Or some grid system that is sorted up/down for resource and left/right for printable.
  • Allow the small shuttle to ONLY reach Barren to gather materials needed to build the next shuttle to get to the rest of the planets?
  • Pizza Textured Space Suit for ChunkySpaceman.

Edited by ChunkySpaceman

Also, teather lines need to be two-tone to make it easier to see on Tundra.  And if possible change color between you and nearest tether line to denote when you're reaching the end of length.

Extend "Q" functionality from device to the platform upon which it's mounted.

The number of times I think I'm pointing at a device, hold "Q" and end up in my catalog instead of opening the device drives me nutso...

Please extend the "Q" hitbox for the device (say Medium Printer) to the platform on which it is mounted.

Empty gas canisters (hopefully regular canisters too) should act like teathers, and other bundled equipment, when stored. This would help greatly with the annoyance of having to carry unfavorable storage ratios on material collection missions, and constant reorganization, or swapping of medium storage from exploration rigs. 

1. Please make all power generators capable of creating their own platforms with plugs. Like the Small Solar/Generator/Wind Turbine
  2. (Xbox Specific) I would love to be able to navigate the backpack UI with the xbox d-pad. Click once on an item and it picks it up and hovers it somewhere. Move the cursor type thing to an empty slot and press a button again to drop it in the slot. If the slot selected is occupied, then the two trade places. 
  3. (Xbox Specific) Allow us to manually control the camera angle when holding something, that way we don't have to move the cursor to the edge of the screen to rotate the camera. Say, the left and right shoulder buttons on the controller will allow you to rotate the camera when holding something. 
  4. Don't give us the option to enter a rover if it is flipped. only allow us to flip it over. This was an issue for me in 9.2. Not sure if its still the same yet as I am still trying to unlock them in 10.2

Directional marker when rotating items.  Which way is front, which is back.  need both unless the angle obscures seeing one..

+1 the compass change, something persistent at the top of the screen is easier to follow then having to look at your feet, and can be left on screen while in vehicles. 

+1  Beacons having more options, colors are great but icons make a little more sense. (Home with an arrow above to say home is visible from here, exclamation to say something interesting here, N or S to mark North and South poles) 

Also second the respawning rocks to stop. Rocks don't grow and having to clear them out every time you make a path is annoying not challenging.

I'd like to see tethers have changeable colors for following in caves, using the terrain tool isn't as precise on Xbox as it may be on pc. 

Glass used in the shuttle seat manufacturing makes sense with having windows. 

such amazing ideas on this form I love it

what would I add...

MORE OF A PURPOSE FOR STORMS

Give more purpose to the storms if you want, games shouldn't want the player to stand around and do nothing, I want to do stuff, give those clouds a purpose (if there purpose is to make you save, nice try but there should really be a better, shorter solution for making us save no?)

BETTER/UPDATED CONTROLS FOR XBOX

Im a xbox player and you guys have to try to use those controls more because it can be a bit terrible at times, the simple act of researching can be a chore or even just organizing things (the suggestion to use the d-pad for the backpack was beautiful thank you jbarth09)

BETTER NAVIGATIONAL TOOLS

too easy to get lost, map, better compass, better beacons, something new, anything!! that will help players who love to explore not lose all of their progress because they just walked a bit to far from the base

ALLOW US TO US BACKPACK IN HABITAT, ROVERS

Just let me press "Y" and organize it, and with the d-pad suggestion i could even keep driving with the UI up, this would also help me not be bored when the storm comes rolling in, could even make a cool little hologram projection come out of the top of base, cool stuff

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEYBINDING ON XBOX PLEASE

Just want to experiment for the best control scheme, many buttons aren't used on xbox and I want to find a solution for the control problem

VIRTUAL CURSOR NEEDS SOME TWEAKING

The virtual cursor is quite wonky at times, trying to use the terrain tool when its out will make it way too sensitive, the cursor when trying to use platform plugs will just bug out and the worst thing is trying to move items and research balls with making your item go to the side of the camera you want to move

I love you guys, im happy you want feedback and want to get better, have fun going crazy till launch!!!

+1 to HUD compass (still not sure how an advanced space faring race hasn't figured out a compass for a vehicle yet...) Slip the existing code for compass into vehicles... be consistent with compass for all means of travel.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSl85Ai8pUZaUojBDZ0-2U

+1 as with small generator, solar, windvane which have powerplugs, be consistent and add power plugs to base of med solar, wind, generator.

Naming for clarity:
Have the medium printer print medium things. The small printer be the backpack. The large printer print the large things. etc.

Remove "small" from the oxygen tank as it suggests there are larger tanks. Currently this is the only object to be named a size, without a differently sized version available.

If gas canisters will one day be crafted then rename the current canister to "soil canister"

ohh and let us take off modules

confused why making permanent is a good thing

would love to see just a little switch on the back when pressed (similar to research button) it would just pack itself into a box again

and for any item it would be nice to put back into its box, it would require maybe a new input key which is I would think very complicated, but I don't know a thing about coding so you guys tell me

and what happened to Samantha's idea about holding in your hand whatever item your moving, it would be so cute if there was a whole animation for holding a research ball and your character slows down and its gait changes, would solve the xbox camera issue too

Add an indicator to the research items to let us know there are items to the left or right.  One might not know something exists or that its already unlocked because you have to click over so many times.  

so where it is now:
[OOO] 2 blueprints
[OOO] 3+blueprints
[OOO] 1 blueprint

A small adjustment to:

[OOO] 2 blueprints
[OOO
<indicator to show there are more options yet to be unlocked
[OOO] 1 blueprint

Then maybe the addition of a research center where you can unlock advanced tech.  Maybe move some of the tech to the new structure.  Maybe make it take time to unlock vs just having enough bites.  

Multiplayer Sync

I know a lot of this will probably be addressed in Terrain 2.0 and Dedicated Servers, but ensuring better overall Sync on Multiplayer would be something I'd like to see.

For example, after mining a vein of ores, often the dialog box that says "Resin" etc is still visible after players join for a second time. Also sometimes, but rarely now, ores that are already mined for the host are still visible for other players. I believe the Host is ok, it's mainly the people connecting to them that don't see EXACTLY what the Host see's. 

This will probably take a long time to iron out though, best of luck for 1.0 Release!

Show the amount of bytes the "unknown object"(along with anything else that can be researched) is worth after its been researched once. I don't want to waste space carrying a research object back because I can't remember how much it was worth. Especially not if I can leave it behind for a better item. After it's been researched it should no longer be "unknown" 

13 minutes ago, StubbornDonkey said:

Show the amount of bytes the "unknown object"(along with anything else that can be researched) is worth after its been researched once. 

Also maybe some more organization to where each type can be found? (These kinds are always found in trees, this is always attached to topside plants, those are around wreckage, and they can be found deep in the caverns) Most but not all are just random luck, and it would be nice on repeat playthroughs to know where to go for the higher number ones.