I've recently been thinking about the backpack in Astroneer. Overall, I think the systems and layout of the backpack are great, but I think an upgrade system could fit in Astroneer. Of course, any extension to the backpack should be tremendously expensive, or almost exclusively late-game. I think  the way it could work would be rather simple. At the small printer, you'd use expensivve resources to print a chunk of the backpack. It would be like 2 bars of the battery, and two slots for additional items.essentially, they'd just be extra rows of two added onto the bottom. Two or three would be more than enough, and anything past that would be too much. On the upgrade topic, this idea gave me another as well. Using titanum (like the old days) and glass, you should be able to permenentlu increase your oxygen capacity. Even if only by about 10 seconds, any upgrade to the backpack tank would be awesome. The last thing I thought that pertains to this is the strangest, and has the smallest chance of being implemented in any way. I think it would be quite interesting in the late game to be able to hold ONE tier 2 item. The way this would work would be a tier 2 item slot on the top of the backpack, above the oxygen, and made in a similar way to the other backpack extensions. OR, two item slots on the backpack could be melded together in some way, creating the large slot. A good way of making this NOT overpowered would be a decrease in speed for the player.  I don't wanna say removing the ability to run, as that'd be very similar to how carrying tier 2 items works anyway, but maybe.

The idea of increasing the backpack storage size is quite an interesting one and I've given it some thought over my time playing the game, as I've been quite annoyed in how short my trips to the caves are, or could be without a rover with storage capabilities. 

Though in the game, we do have o2 tanks which we can put on our backpack as well as batteries for extra power. Adding both of each of those already takes up two slots though and with the limited space that's quite a sacrifice. I've actually come to understand and respect how they have balanced the backpack. Do you sacrifice precious backpack space for an o2 tank? Or risk it? Or do you use tethers to stay safe, using resources?

As many times as I've been frustrated with running out of space in my pack, I think having the space for items as they are on the pack actually adds a challenging aspect to the game. Without that aspect, I don't know if I would enjoy the game as much as I do. 

24 minutes ago, Akira Nara said:

The idea of increasing the backpack storage size is quite an interesting one and I've given it some thought over my time playing the game, as I've been quite annoyed in how short my trips to the caves are, or could be without a rover with storage capabilities. 

Though in the game, we do have o2 tanks which we can put on our backpack as well as batteries for extra power. Adding both of each of those already takes up two slots though and with the limited space that's quite a sacrifice. I've actually come to understand and respect how they have balanced the backpack. Do you sacrifice precious backpack space for an o2 tank? Or risk it? Or do you use tethers to stay safe, using resources?

As many times as I've been frustrated with running out of space in my pack, I think having the space for items as they are on the pack actually adds a challenging aspect to the game. Without that aspect, I don't know if I would enjoy the game as much as I do. 

I agree, the balance of the backpack system is delicate and interesting. I just think that permanently increasing power, storage, and oxygen capacity of the backpack would be cool, even if only late game

1 minute ago, Jcgeek2000 said:

I agree, the balance of the backpack system is delicate and interesting. I just think that permanently increasing power, storage, and oxygen capacity of the backpack would be cool, even if only late game

I agree with you, being able to permanently upgrade your backpack would be an awesome idea. How they have made the game and how they have managed 'upgrading' though is quite interesting.

For example, shuttles. You start with your small shuttle, which opens you up to enough possibilities to acquire the latter two shuttles. Kind of like, upgrading. But by just getting a completely new shuttle.

An interesting thought would be in just how you would acquire an upgraded backpack. Maybe say, you can't craft anything to upgrade your current backpack. Or if you can there very minor even late game. Let's say maybe your exploring, or mining and you happen across a fallen astroneer. Though something is strange about this one, the backpack looks quite different from your current one. 

My proposal would be to add a rare chance to find different kinds of backpacks on fallen astroneers. Maybe some have less o2 compacity, but more storage. Maybe more power. They could add many different kinds of backpacks. It would add more personality to your character. Let's say you find the super rare backpack that carries four extra items and more o2. It would give you a sense of personal achievement and give you a little more freedom exploring and collecting.

This is just another option on upgrades to your backpack.

I'm off on another tangent here... the mention of permanent upgrades jogged my memory about this idea I had. So disregard this if you came here to read just about backpacks; albeit, this could tie into how backpack upgrades work

All highly dependent on the addition of space stations, orbital construction, and space craft... basically, players unlock interstellar spacecraft after making a space station. Using a station based fabricator, players can build a spacecraft. Then, the player can relocate/transport from their system, to a friend's system. The interstellar craft might carry a large quantity of materials, and maybe even advanced tech. On the flip side, it could have limited cargo space (different types?). Either way, this mechanic allows players to transfer a specific character to a separate game.

If you unlock a lot of cool stuff for one character that isn't necessarily persistent between game sessions, just launch an interstellar support mission. It's really cool, almost as if supplies and Astroneers have been dispatched to aid the host's mission, and simultaneously reward teamwork. Also, lets say a host wants a guest to start their own game, but both don't want to be set too far back. Instead of grinding, have the guest start a game, and the host launch an interstellar ship.

Edited by Wedge

16 hours ago, Akira Nara said:

I agree with you, being able to permanently upgrade your backpack would be an awesome idea. How they have made the game and how they have managed 'upgrading' though is quite interesting.

For example, shuttles. You start with your small shuttle, which opens you up to enough possibilities to acquire the latter two shuttles. Kind of like, upgrading. But by just getting a completely new shuttle.

An interesting thought would be in just how you would acquire an upgraded backpack. Maybe say, you can't craft anything to upgrade your current backpack. Or if you can there very minor even late game. Let's say maybe your exploring, or mining and you happen across a fallen astroneer. Though something is strange about this one, the backpack looks quite different from your current one. 

My proposal would be to add a rare chance to find different kinds of backpacks on fallen astroneers. Maybe some have less o2 compacity, but more storage. Maybe more power. They could add many different kinds of backpacks. It would add more personality to your character. Let's say you find the super rare backpack that carries four extra items and more o2. It would give you a sense of personal achievement and give you a little more freedom exploring and collecting.

I like more reason to explore but don't like having a random chance to find the one you like, late game you should be able to recreate these special ones or even make your own

1 hour ago, Sir Tubs said:

I like more reason to explore but don't like having a random chance to find the one you like, late game you should be able to recreate these special ones or even make your own

Maybe you could unlock blueprints for the backpacks you've already found?

This could be a center of the planet style reward? Dig all the way through, surviving whatever you may encounter and in the center is a chest (think tutorial planet) that has the upgrade. Specific planets have specific ones and the ability to get there requires bigger/different challenges (the core is surrounded by something only a drill can get through, need a winch to haul it back to the surface to place on research platform to unlock, etc.)

2 hours ago, Sir Tubs said:

1 hour ago, Akira Nara said:

Maybe you could unlock blueprints for the backpacks you've already found?

3 hours ago, StubbornDonkey said:

This could be a center of the planet style reward? Dig all the way through, surviving whatever you may encounter and in the center is a chest (think tutorial planet) that has the upgrade. Specific planets have specific ones and the ability to get there requires bigger/different challenges (the core is surrounded by something only a drill can get through, need a winch to haul it back to the surface to place on research platform to unlock, etc.)

well guys here is the answer http://coin-drop.com/pxi-astroneer-fun-lego-space-romp/ FREAKING ZELDA DUNGEONS THEMED AROUND THE PLANETS!!!, imagine that the backpacks can be found in each would be so so so so cool, im really up for a anything at this moment other than randomized stuff, but the thing i want the most is being able to hold a research ball, i just hate how it controls on xbox, hope that fix that in QOL update

On 9/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, Sir Tubs said:

On 9/10/2018 at 2:05 AM, Akira Nara said:

Maybe you could salvage the backpacks for backpack parts, and customize the storage, power, and O2