spreatty

Shuttle landing points

This is an age-old problem of Astroneer, and now that you HAVE to build at least two shuttles (one small, then either a Medium or Large Shuttle), it exacerbates the problem. My suggestion is to build a large platform away from your base, then stick a vehicle Bay and a Beacon on it. Just remember to land your Shuttle at the Beacon and your Rovers should be fine. Once you get your second Shuttle, build another plate form and Vehicle Bay away from your base, plus another Beacon (this time set it to a different color). Sorted!

Edited by Ghostwolf93

@spreatty You can also mount a vehicle bay on a Large Rover module and tow it. This is actually a huge advantage.

You can avoid needing to re-base on other planets. Set up a road train of Large Rovers like this:

• Drive & Power: Driver's seat, power storage and production
  • Vehicle Bay: For remote landings near the rig
  • Storage: Large storage and plenty of medium storage atop that 
  • Crane & Storage: Large storage, and a crane with drilling head

Once up an running on someplace like Arid, you can just drive one of these behemoths around. When you've gotta go, just take off with a new shuttle, or backtrack to a prior touchdown. In co-operative, you have players land at the rover and pick up the goodies you've been collecting.

1 hour ago, Wedge said:

@spreatty You can also mount a vehicle bay on a Large Rover module and tow it. This is actually a huge advantage.

You can avoid needing to re-base on other planets. Set up a road train of Large Rovers like this:

• Drive & Power: Driver's seat, power storage and production
  • Vehicle Bay: For remote landings near the rig
  • Storage: Large storage and plenty of medium storage atop that 
  • Crane & Storage: Large storage, and a crane with drilling head

Once up an running on someplace like Arid, you can just drive one of these behemoths around. When you've gotta go, just take off with a new shuttle, or backtrack to a prior touchdown. In co-operative, you have players land at the rover and pick up the goodies you've been collecting.

It is possible to tow vehicles via winch to other planets? I've read that it is not possible.

Normally I use configuration including crane and shredder mounted on rover. In that way you may shred salvage immediately instead of bringing it to base. Considering that wrecked seat gives 1 scrap, it is very storage-efficient. However, sometimes something may go wrong... 

No, it't not possible to tow vehicles into orbit. 

That's also a reason why I've suggested either a larger shuttle be added, or space elevators be on of the capabilities for space stations when they're eventually added.

MORE LAUNCH PADS BABY!!

you know that launch pad at the start of the game you use once and then forget about it until your forced to build around it?

WHY AREN'T WE USING IT MORE???

to me it would be great if they made some new art for the space vehicles and made it so they can land and look super cool landing on the launch pad

you can build several and colorize there own built in (or maybe they have a special spot for beacon you have to make ) beacons

and you can move the one at the start if you don't want it in the way of your house