Lemonaidz

New updates are... Somewhat concerning.

Hello everyone, I am fairly new here, but the only reason I joined this was to say something I have noticed about this game.

I bought ASTRONEER in December of 2017, so there were many things under development in Alpha stage during the first month of playing this game. As much as I love this game, I really have one issue with the way this game updates:

I may not know how game development works entirely, but I am not a big fan of the idea of restarting my game every time you guys have a small patch update. When the building UI was updated during the summer, I was totally fine with restarting my game since I needed a fresh start. Once I played for another week, I landed on Barren to continue building up my base. The following week, I get the notification saying that I must create a new game to access all of the new features. I kind of rolled my eyes and said, "again?" Now I am back at it again this year playing ASTRONEER, and I noticed that the update released just this week has created a bigger issue....

ASTRONEER is now significantly more difficult because your developers managed to recreate every formula for each building structure. Where the hell do I begin to find Iron? Where am I supposed to go to find Tungsten? (More specifically, 'Wolframite'). I built my trade platform this week out of 2 ALUMINUM! Your team has made this game almost unplayable. Anyone with a passion for sandbox/survival games will definitely play this game, but even then, they might get stumped from time to time by the complexity of the game.

As for the rest of you average Joe's, this game has become more difficult to understand, play, and progress in. All of you may just give up on this game and say, "I am either an idiot or I have been ripped off." Unfortunately, I would agree with the first one. I personally love this game and I can keep up with these updates, but as for the rest of the crowd, they may not want to give this game a try due to its complexity. All I want is for your game to succeed! If everyone can learn and play this game, then ASTRONEER will be relevant for years to come! 

Best of Luck,

Lemonaidz

Screenshot (9).png

Edited by Lemonaidz

Sorry to say this like this.. but there's too many threads like this now.

Press F1 and actually read it.

The answer to your question is actually in the screenshot you provided.

This just sounds like "they changed it now it sucks" it may be confusing to you becausr you were used to the old way but it's quite possible it's just the normal difficulty with learning a new system that new players need to deal with whatever it is.

I asked a similar stupid question, which turned out to be under the F1 options as well.  

There are on going issues with the development of the game which I do find confounding, there seems to be little planning in their roadmap nor in their updates. It's almost random what turns up.  Take other sites like Ark or Wow or Starwars games, they put a post in a week or so before, letting people know whats in development, that it'll be added soon and explain any changes.  SeS just fire stuff in and leave it to the punter to work out what's changed and then maybe a day or so later an update arrives in the forums.

When he started the thread, I thought maybe since he'd had the game since dec 17 there'd have some fresh insights in opinion, but, basically it turned out to be the same ole same ole.  The game sucks because.. thread.

Part of development of games or any software is updating key elements of the game code and engine, when this happens, you have no choice but to start a "new game" because the new code just isn't compatible with the old saved data.

Also as a tester, most of us know that when a new build is available, we need to start a new game to test progression start to finish, otherwise serious bugs and glitches can be missed.  So the age old complaint of "I hate having to restart my games" is a moot argument.  They simply cannot update the game without the issue occurring.

They could however, have warned people in advance.  So they knew that it would require a new game when it turned up, not been taken by surprise, when they next played.

Edited by Martin

You're playing pre-alpha & beta and shocked that you'd have to delete a game? Reality check, methinks.

Is the 1.0 release supposed to be a beta release or the actual release?  With things still occasionally falling through the ground into the planet core for no reason, if it's supposed to be the real thing that is worrying. I really hope that Terrain 2.0 is the primary focus right now - the physics bugs have *got* to be fixed before a real release, or there will be a backlash. At heart (at least right now), this game is about collecting stuff, and having things magically disappear through the ground, or getting thrown into orbit from a cave will not be acceptable to people thinking this was a finished product. It's the end of October, and they say it's supposed to come out in December of  this year. 

4 hours ago, ssutcliffe said:

Is the 1.0 release supposed to be a beta release or the actual release?  With things still occasionally falling through the ground into the planet core for no reason, if it's supposed to be the real thing that is worrying. I really hope that Terrain 2.0 is the primary focus right now - the physics bugs have *got* to be fixed before a real release, or there will be a backlash. At heart (at least right now), this game is about collecting stuff, and having things magically disappear through the ground, or getting thrown into orbit from a cave will not be acceptable to people thinking this was a finished product. It's the end of October, and they say it's supposed to come out in December of  this year. 

It's the full release of the game, with all content in place incl terrain 2.0  However, there's still content to be added after release listed in the road map.

I'm kinda used to the bugs we have. Having something fall through the ground isn't the end of the game for me. Lag is more of a concern for me, rendering performance, that kind of stuff. I am all about the content coming after release. No game is perfect and "stable enough" is the goal which is very subjective. We should not get too hung up on the bugs...they will always be a part of the game just like any other game. Battlefront 2 kicks you out of some games, XCOM 2 can't pick up an unconcious soldier sometimes, and any game you pick has some bugs. I do want to be able to have a save for a long time that can be worked on for months and eventually that will happen.