ThePlumGate

So we have to take a leap of faith to get iron?

..and by that I mean,  jump in a small shuttle with a single use rocket, get to barren, hope that I can find the iron and the resources I need to get back.

Of course, this will mean planning to print another single use rocket to get back.

I'm assuming that they're big box items however...

or print a 2nd rocket to keep on your backpack from the get-go and take the hop to tundra, iron's all over the place on the surface there (unless they changed it)

just absorbed your very last statement as well, my brain's not fully on today... no the single-use rockets aren't big-box. i haven't managed to leave terran yet, but i'd imagine a good kit for resource runs would be: rocket, medium platform, medium storage, tethers. they all fit in the backpack, then you can use the medium platform+storage to hold all your tethers after landing and filling your pack with the stuff you were looking for

Actually it seems abit hit n miss, I've had both Iron and no iron on both tundra and exotic.  Although, once into the deeper caves on both, it is abundant.  It really seems like if you land in the right spot you find it and if you don't.. hard luck.

It's getting annoying having to go out and mine 4-8 aluminium and ammonia every few trips as well.  On my current terran aluminium isn't exactly in abundance.

The biggest issue for me atm is tungsten it only seems to appear on barren, in caves.  Sometimes as resources on terran in wrecks.  It's particularly annoying when you need only 1 to make the first chem bench and 1 for trader and so on..

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Actually it seems abit hit n miss, I've had both Iron and no iron on both tundra and exotic.  Although, once into the deeper caves on both, it is abundant.  It really seems like if you land in the right spot you find it and if you don't.. hard luck.

ESPECIALLY with the terrain all teared up!

15 hours ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

ESPECIALLY with the terrain all teared up!

Are you using old saves?  Each release requires a new game save creation to work properly.  That's "alpha" development for you.

So we now have the small rocket/solid boosters to allow us to go to other planets...to get iron...which allows us to make rockets to get to other planets?  Am I missing something?

So I spent a few hours playing yesterday, The parts for the single use rockets are pretty easy to come by. And it's not really an issue taking a packaged spare.

I went to barren first and found a lot of zinc. But, I had to jump to the exotic planet - this had Iron and tungsten on it.

Now I've got to figure out which planets have which atmosphere...

Edited by ThePlumGate

All this discussion of where resources spawn is kinda a moot issue until the new terrain 2.0 releases.  As likely all the algorithims governing spawn locations, densities etc will be changed as well.

3 hours ago, Chemie said:

So we now have the small rocket/solid boosters to allow us to go to other planets...to get iron...which allows us to make rockets to get to other planets?  Am I missing something?

This one had me scratching my head as well. I just don't understand it. I'm thinking I'm missing something but I just can't find it. I think I am forced to take one step forward to take one step backward to finally have an option to choose where to explore? 

Every game we all must; land on the same planet, we are all forced to travel to the exact same second planet, using the exact same method (there are three but are forced to use only one), then we must travel back to the first planet so that we then may travel to a third and finally a planet of our choosing? Is that correct?

In MP all 8 (16) players have to do the exact same early game things over and over and over every game? 

There has to be more to it than this, right?

aha! so exotic and tundra have the iron... been all over barren, terran and radiated looking for it. while i enjoy the update i agree does seem odd we all have to take the same path to choose our planet of choice.

2 hours ago, Dr. Sno said:

aha! so exotic and tundra have the iron... been all over barren, terran and radiated looking for it. while i enjoy the update i agree does seem odd we all have to take the same path to choose our planet of choice.

Arid also has a decent amount of iron on the surface; barren and terran have none.

Right now, it seems like the exotic planet has everything needed to craft all of the equipment we're normally used to having with the exception of sphalerite ( zinc ). ..I may be mistaken though, Barren has quite a few of the resources - I just don't know where the other gasses are.

It was a bit tricky getting to exotic in one shot with a disposable thruster - it only stays in range of Terran for short period of time, then you end up staying in orbit around it on the way back unless you have other colonies you can hop to.

I'm not sure the thruster is only good for one orbital switch or not - I haven't tried swapping orbits, but it seems like landing is "free" since the booster cone breaks off when you leave initial orbit.

Otherwise, I've been using Radiated to slingshot ( in a medium shuttle ) since it orbits so quickly.

I don't take issue with the single use rocket. Plan ahead...

Iron does seem to be a bit too much of a gateway resource.

I like the small shuttle and solid fuel thruster a lot, so much so that I haven't used another shuttle or rover in the new update (I did build one rover in Barren, but only used it once). Planet hopping is WAAAAAAAY (sorry for the emphasis, but it was needed) more efficient than driving around Terran looking for stuff, and much less time consuming.

As soon as you are able to craft the small shuttle, hop to Barren. Start an outpost (resin is abundant here), dig yourself a cave entrance, and mine lots of sphalerite (zinc), malachite (copper), laterite (aluminum), wolframite (tungsten), and lithium. Research pods are also abundant here, so make sure you research some while mining. The soil centrifuge will take care of your basic material needs. As soon as you feel you need iron, hop to Tundra. Start a base and dig yourself a cave entrance. Lots of hematite (iron), spalerite (zinc) and titanite (titanium) here. Plus, in its caves there are many metallic green research pods worth 8,600 bytes a piece (two research chambers + two of these research pods = 17,200 bytes). Hop in your shuttle, backpack full of iron, and go to Barren. Swap iron for copper and lithium, hop back to Tundra. Make solar panels, medium batteries and finish your base. Research two more of those green research pods. Fill your backpack with iron/titanium and hop back to Barren. Finish your base, fill backpack with iron and tungsten, and return home. By that time you will have probably unlocked a good amount of items. Return to Barren/Tundra at your leisure if you need more of those materials...

120px-Green_Mineral_Research.png?version = 8,600 bytes, abundant in Tundra's caves

Edited by vvhorus

The Rocket thruster and small shuttle can be used to explore any planet.

The medium shuttle is good for hopping about or carrying 3 people.  Loaded with hydrazine it makes jumps easily.

Large Spaceship is really for build bases.. Again, effortless building.

I've now seen tungsten in caves on moon/barren.

Best planet I've seen for most resources is arid. Both on surface and in the caves.

Exotic is ok too, but alot of storms and gas pods can be quite packed together.

Arid is abit buggy atm, storms can get you in the caves so beware.  also the spikey balls really hurt.

Note on exotic and terran ups storms, the boxes don't seem to hurt as much now, maybe the damage was reduced.

The main issue is getting enough gas.. hydrogen usually needs to be gathered on terran then flown into barren for example.  Which can be abit annoying if you lack alu and amon. When we left terran in our last mp game, I made 20 disposable rockets and 4 shuttles.

But now I use the large spaceship.

Edited by Martin