eri5

[0.10.1]Use empty canisters for the Atmospheric Condenser

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

Maybe we're both seeing this through different lenses. I'll give you a personal example.

Before patch 0.10, my personal "meta" was to build a mineral extractor, boost mod and wide mod as soon as possible. That gave me access to unlimited resources because soil is everywhere. But for that to work, I had to build a lot of canisters, 8 to be exact. That was what it took for the mineral extractor to fill up, and with the boost/wide mod combo, I could fill up all 8 canisters in around 30 seconds. That meant I had fast unlimited resources at my disposal as long as I kept a sample of each. I also needed lots of canisters to hold hydrazine (the catalyzer alone required 4) to efficiently fill up the shuttles' fuel tanks.

Come patch 0.10 and I discover that (thankfully) that meta was not viable any more. I could not extract any metals from the soil, and that changed my playstyle, including how many canisters I needed. I now craft one since that's all I really need. I get a few here and there from backpacks or wrecks, but those usually end up in a medium storage or right where they were found.

The canister has been relegated to hold soil exclusively, and I personally believe it's a good thing. Anything else is just needlessly overcomplicating things that will add no real value to the process...

I've been toying with an idea... it actually came to mind even before the balloon-canisters. It would be much cooler if collected gas, instead of being crammed in canisters, was condensed into aerogel-bundles. It's more plausible, not to mention, efficient. Assuming future tech just creates, or somehow passively generates the matter necessary to form containers, a far more insignificant amount would be required to store it in an aerogel form, as compared to simple containers. The stuff is made by suspending gas inside a polymer structure, with the gas comprising 95 - 99% of the substance. That's an extreamly high efficiency of composition.

Albeit, this would be a minor aesthetic change in relation to functionality of gas commodities,  but I think it would look awesome, and it's more realistic than spontaneous canisters. Plus players that progress that far have already seen canister tech, and having this cool new product pop out is exciting. 

Edited by Wedge
Minor formatting; spelling

15 hours ago, Wedge said:

I've been toying with an idea... it actually came to mind even before the balloon-canisters. It would be much cooler if collected gas, instead of being crammed in canisters, was condensed into aerogel-bundles. It's more plausible, not to mention, efficient. Assuming future tech just creates, or somehow passively generates the matter necessary to form containers, a far more insignificant amount would be required to store it in an aerogel form, as compared to simple containers. The stuff is made by suspending gas inside a polymer structure, with the gas comprising 95 - 99% of the substance. That's an extreamly high efficiency of composition.

Albeit, this would be a minor aesthetic change in relation to functionality of gas commodities,  but I think it would look awesome, and it's more realistic than spontaneous canisters. Plus players that progress that far have already seen canister tech, and having this cool new product pop out is exciting. 

That sounds really good. The graphical assets for this might already be in the game (the gassy sphere inside the canister). SES would just have to tweak it a bit to make it look like a bundle and fit it into the current slot system. Maybe the leftover better-looking canister asset could then be repurposed to replace the old one.

I know we're dealing with solids and gases now, but I'm sure different kinds of liquids (or elements in liquid form, like mercury) will be introduced at some point. Hypothetically, we might even see them being used in crafting recipes. I wonder how that's going to play out, if we'll get a new kind of container or use the same...

16 hours ago, Kevin cela said:

Well so if the devs say lets remove canisters from the game and let the soil become a mineral and gas comes magicly to your backpack and some part of it solidifies in an external canister wich keeps the other part contained inside it and when the gas inside its used  up completely the <i>solidified part will magicly disappear and go back into the atmosphere </i> , oh wow such a cool way of getting soil and gas i like this idea so much i love it / its a sarcasm if you dont get it . So if this is what you want then as the comment above said why put a small printer for items with one material lets just have some gas solidifie at our backpacks and create teathers , small wind turbines , oxygen tanks , small panels and all one-material cost items yeah i like that magic gas coming when we need it its still like it was before right no <b>less challenging than it was but instead it got more challenging...wow.. i think... this is ... also MAGIC  </b>  this coment was made for the only purpose of explaining to you how things work in a realistic way and how they work in a magical way which astroneer has chosen the first one but you want to combine them both and create the one and improved way of doing it the chaotic unfair way , i like the sound of that , and please do not put your anger inside the comments i  am not going to get scared or sad if that was your intention purposly or not 

I am/was far from angry, my friend. If that was the impression, apologies.

Let me ask you this: how can anyone explain the concept of the backpack distributing oxygen from an external tank or tethers, distributing power from an external source (like tethers, power cells or small battery, for example), and soil coming in and out multiple canisters, all this while you can randomly place canisters, tanks and power sources in any slot in your backpack and successfully be able to use the air from the tank, use the power coming from the external source and transfer soil to/from the canisters? Tubing might be out. The backpack will have to be intelligent enough to detect what you're connecting, and then place an internal hose/duct/pipe on that port to distribute the appropriate resource to where it needs to go. The other only logical explanation? Magic...

Have you ever heard or read the phrase (and I'm paraphrasing) "magic is unexplained science"? It comes from the third law of Arthur C. Clarke's three laws: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

My point is: this is a video game. It is good to have some familiar elements of realism in it, but ultimately, it's just a fantasy world created by SES. The devs have free reign on what they can create in the game. There are no realism rules, and they shouldn't be bound by them. They can use and incorporate all the "magic" that they want. The fact that we're playing the game means that we're accepting it and going along with the fantasy.