Zenith_X1

Serious Concern with 0.10.0.0 Progression

Hi everyone,

I've been in the Astroneer Alpha for a little over a year now, and I wanted to address a serious logical issue with progression that will turn off a lot of new players.  With each patch I try creating a new base from scratch, and here are the two biggest issues I ran into:

1) Iron / Tungsten Availability

2) Solid Rockets

To start, the resources available on Terran exclude Iron and Tungsten.  Without these resources, players cannot build Chemistry Labs, Atmospheric Condensers, Trade Platforms, Medium Shredders, or Large Shredders.  All 5 of these "late-game" options could help ease the resource burden, but fair enough, players must become space fairing to build end-game assets.  These seems fine except that solid rockets ruin this progression.

Medium Shuttles require aluminum alloy, which requires a chemistry lab, which requires iron and tungsten.  Large shuttles require titanium alloy, which requires a chemistry lab, which requires iron and tungsten.  But most importantly a hydrazine thruster requires tungsten, which requires traveling to a planet with tungsten.  This means that the only ways to get off-world are to find iron and tungsten at random on Terran (which I did not find in my playthrough), or to use a solid fuel-thruster...but this is the REAL issue.

With a solid-fuel thruster, players are not told that it can only provide a 1-way trip to a planet.  New players DO NOT KNOW which planets have iron and tungsten, and likely DONT KNOW that a solid-fuel thruster is a 1-way trip.  Thus they may fly to Barren, for example, which has no iron or tungsten, and be stranded there forever because their solid-fuel thruster put them on a 1-way trip to nowhere.

Add to this the fact that the planet meant most to "emulate" Earth lacks iron but is filled with titanium?  This will undoubtedly confuse and frustrate new players, and is why I strongly encourage the team to revisit logical character progression in the game.

I would advocate that titanium and iron swap presence on Terran, solid fuel-rockets be removed from the game, hydrazine thrusters require iron + aluminum instead of tungsten, and that the medium shuttle uses aluminum instead of aluminum alloy.  That should alleviate most of these concerns.

Zenith_X1

**I made some edits to my original post but the forum would not let me post these edits, so I've posted the final version below:**

Hi everyone,

I've been in the Astroneer Alpha for a little over a year now, and I wanted to address a serious logical issue with progression that will turn off a lot of new players.  With each patch I try creating a new base from scratch, and here are the two biggest issues I ran into:

1) Iron / Tungsten Availability

2) Solid Rockets

To start, the resources available on Terran exclude Iron and Tungsten.  Without these resources, players cannot build Chemistry Labs, Atmospheric Condensers, Trade Platforms, Medium Shredders, or Large Shredders.  All 5 of these "late-game" options could help ease the resource burden, but fair enough, players must become space fairing to build end-game assets.  These seems fine except that solid rockets (and a lack of hydrazine rocket availability) ruin this progression.

Medium Shuttles require aluminum alloy, which requires a chemistry lab, which requires iron and tungsten from another planet.

Large shuttles require titanium alloy, which requires a chemistry lab, which requires iron and tungsten from another planet.

A hydrazine thruster requires tungsten, which requires traveling to another planet. 

This means that the only ways to get off-world are to find iron and tungsten at random on Terran (which I did not find in my playthrough), or to use a solid fuel-thruster.

With a solid-fuel thruster, players are not told that it can only provide a 1-way trip to a planet.  New players DO NOT KNOW which planets have iron and tungsten, and likely DO NOT KNOW that a solid-fuel thruster is a 1-way trip.  Thus, they may fly to Barren which has no iron or tungsten, and be stranded there forever because their solid-fuel thruster put them on a 1-way trip to nowhere.

Add to this the fact that Terran, a planet which I think is most meant to "emulate" Earth lacks iron but is filled with titanium?  These issues will undoubtedly confuse and frustrate new players, and is why I strongly encourage the team to revisit logical character progression in the game.

I would advocate that titanium and iron swap presence on Terran, solid fuel-rockets be removed from the game, hydrazine thrusters require iron + aluminum instead of tungsten, and that the medium shuttle uses aluminum instead of aluminum alloy.  That should alleviate most of these concerns.

Zenith_X1

My issue is that with that single use rocket, there is no real need for all the other stuff to make the large shuttles...so you go off planet to get the stuff which unlocks going off planet tech.

Don't worry about chem labs.. it's get worse when you find out you need nitrogen, graphite/graphene, hydrazine etc.. to make the adv modules.

So it's all progression.  Personally I like the new changes, it turned me back to playing allnighters as a consequence.  For the last 6 months I'd play maybe 1-2 hours. Last session was 11 hours straight, 7 of those streamed.

idk, you can find tungsten in wrecks on barren, Iron i have yet to find. the chem lab doesn't require iron however.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:48 AM, Zenith_X1 said:

With a solid-fuel thruster, players are not told that it can only provide a 1-way trip to a planet.

The hover text of the solid fuel thrusters says "good for a one-way trip to another planet". Seems pretty straightforward to me.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:48 AM, Zenith_X1 said:

New players DO NOT KNOW which planets have iron and tungsten

Also, hovering over an unfilled hologram of a resource on a printer, chemistry lab, etc. will tell you where to find or produce that resource. In the context of raw minerals, it will also tell you which planets you can find the ores. In my playthrough, I had no clue where to find iron until I researched the XL Platform B, then hovered over iron's hologram and it told me which planets to go to to get it.

1 hour ago, Dr. Sno said:

idk, you can find tungsten in wrecks on barren, Iron i have yet to find. the chem lab doesn't require iron however.

Tungsten can be found on Barren, but I think it's pretty rare; I struggled to find any wolframite. Iron doesn't spawn on Barren, but is decently common on Arid; just be careful of tumblespikes.

I just found the hovering description of locations. I think there should be a planet section that tells you things about each planet.

Honestly, I'd like them to implement a satellite that you launch to other planets to learn about them. I think that would be much more interesting.

The star of this update is the little shuttle. Two aluminum and two ammonium gives you one round trip to any planet. I take a boxed medium platform B, a boxed medium printer, 3 resin and a small power source (I prefer a small solar panel) with me to get an outpost going. You can now find these solid fuel thrusters in caves as well, so bringing them back to base is a good idea.

The Astroneer Wiki has apparently been updated with the latest information from the new update and has a list of all the resources and the planets on which you can find them. Hematite is plentiful in Tundra and Arid...