SES_joe

The Crafting Update Feedback Megathread

So...

What's next? And when?

On 9/16/2018 at 6:07 PM, Blind Io said:

I agree with the above post. I've started a few saves now with the intention of building a large shuttle, and I've given up each time. It takes so long, and the other planets, except Barren, have such poor performance now (Xbox), it's just not worth it. 

I love the idea of increased complexity but really feel that pushing us to other planets doesn't give the enjoyment payoff it should. It's essentially led me to ignore any of the tech tree that needs iron. I really think we should be able to trade any resource for key construction resources - just make the prices really steep! 

I hear you. Even on PC, dealing with the terrain on other planets is such a pain in the... I've done three save games, and on the last two I built the large shuttle, but now filling that bad boy's tank takes a lot of exploring.

For me, building the large shuttle usually means the end of the game. After you unlock and build the large shuttle, the only thing left to do really is to explore and create bases on other planets, which is getting pretty repetitive, even if you get creative with platform placement. This is why I insist so much on getting some story elements. Building bases and running around caves looking for stuff are such tedious, repetitive tasks.

I'm ready for what's next...

Having come back to the game and played for the longest time in ages it's really good to see the crafting taking shape and I'm looking forwards to finding out what else there is to craft in future updates as there are at least a couple of manufactured resources that aren't used in any of the current blueprints that I can see.

It's great that driving is now a sane experience and that steering is not linked to where the camera is pointed, although I did find that the large rover kept getting stuck on rocks far too frequently and this was slightly more frustrating than it should have been. Perhaps I need to drive more carefully.

I found the single use solid fuel rocket fine, I did strand myself once, so maybe the recipe should double the resource requirements and print them off in pairs. I'm fine with them being strictly single use as that is how they work in reality: once they're lit they burn, and you can't turn them off and re-start them. What I found a bit strange was that the large shuttle does away with the need for engines as they are integral. The more customisation options for our vehicles the better.

Another very minor point about how things work in reality is the soil centrifuge. I'd like to see the canisters on the rotor configured symmetrically. If you were to have an unbalanced spinning load like it is in the game you would wear out and break your centrifuge very quickly due to vibration. This irks me every time I see it.

Terrain flattening once you get off Terran is very jumpy and glitchy. Also Tundra was offset and divided into quarters in the solar system view.

I don't have a problem with being required to leave Terran to find other resources and I can see why it is designed this way. Even though I've unlocked and built most of the machinery (except for the trade platform and shredder) I'm at a point where I think I've done as much as the game has to offer in it's current state just from one base on Terran. I expect to have to build gas collectors on other planets to make resources for equipment that isn't in game yet so I'm looking forwards to that.

Overall the game really feels like its coming together after seeming to languish for a long time after it's initial early promise.

Edited by Le Chevalier Du Balibari

The frame rate loss on xbox has improved greatly and the new crafting system gives the game a sense of direction. Only issue that i have been greatly having almost every session playing is the game crashes when entering my Rover. didnt matter the size or when but randomly would crash when im trying to enter it. Otherwise, fantastic game, keep up the amazing work SystemEra!

This update is so far the least laggy one. Many hours spent and bases built on both Terran, RAdiated and Arid and still no lag problems. But, it glitches more and more out when I reload a saved game. For example the buggy teleports away to a location it was parked last save, and ores spawn in the ground or in the middle of the air, and countless cave-monsters with the tangled red light spawn in rows in the roof or mid air. Typically one more monster per reload. And the game crashes when I save and exit to main menu, or doesnt save the last 10 minutes played when I save and exit to desktop.

A dislike: its very tedious now to actually print the different objects, we have to explore several planets before being able to make anything. The most ridiculous one is the power cells. We have to travel to a different planet to find zinc ore, (or build scrappers and trade platform) and it takes more energy to melt one zinc ore than a power cell gives, and it must be printed from zinc, a valuable metal. And when we have the bases to expand to other planets, its a vaste to print power cells.

Why did it got changed from compound?

But so far I love this update :) ITS SO COOL in general!

Edited by Moonminer008

make seeds work like organic so we can grow organic and use the seeds from the spiky bois as power

i get randomly stuck when walking on different planets other then terran and barren for no reason

Couldn’t agree more regarding some of the ridiculous material changes in Crafting Update. These should be revised ASAP (next update), and I’m not the only who thinks so.

Inhibitor: incredibly useful tool mod from the start. Not a requirement for sure, but it was often the 2nd item I unlocked in the catalog (behind filters, which are now default unlock). That means I spent 1600 Bytes (old cost) before unlocking small solar, small wind, any other modules, yes that’s indeed what I did. Why? It’s that valuable and useful. The Devs clearly intend for us to all make use of organic generators, not just in the beginning but throughout the game (if you get lost, if you need power in a pinch underground, whatever your situation might be). It’s quite obvious their intent. The removed all other power sources from the game (plinths, now the crystals). They still need to reskin the power “seeds” at the base of hostile flora to make them greenish I suppose, hopefully we’ll see that next update (otherwise it’s comfusing as it still looks like you’ll get raw power out of it). The Inhibitor will mow your base providing plenty of organic, remove pesky boulders, unstick your vehicles (ever had your vehicle crafted and just won’t budge or load a save and same thing it won’t move? Run an Inhibitor under it, even it you don’t see an obstruction, it should move when you get back it, always has for me. I think it’s similar to when your character’s feet get stuck on something “invisible.” Idk for sure, but I suspect there’s something the game engine detects, some collision detection or some hit box we just don’t see, and passing the Inhibitor over the area clears it so to speak. Try it and see if it helps. I like using it for farming resources as well, no more pits around my base, no more ugly grey patched holes ruining the beautiful landscape either. They’ve ruined the beauty enough as is, putting too much stuff into the game now especially debris. It’s a million times worse in caves, no room to walk and evade acid clouds or spikes much less drive anything. The Inhibitor was as much for allowing passage as for collecting anything. Also made quick work of cleaning up ramps and paths where stuff grew back (that shouldn’t).

Power cells: I use these quite a bit. I remember back when a research pod, once evaluated, wouldn’t yield an unlock but once. After that, it gave you something instead (a prize, or as many thought of it, a booby prize lol). Most just chunked the results into open pits (which in turn often ended up falling into caves below, funny the Devs still haven’t fixed that either I still find all sorts of stuff in caves and many complain their vehicles go missing below, one wonders if the Devs will ever manage to fix the most basic issues in Astroneer). Things these pods often yielded were compound, filters (so often misunderstood) and power cells. No one wanted any othe these things back then. Oh how times have changed! I mixed the use of power cells with power nuggets (have to admit, power was always stupid easy to get in the game, and I’m not surprised the Devs took it out given they’re been slowly removing the “training wheels” so to speak, removing plinths awhile back). I don’t agree with going cold turkey, they could’ve dialed back how common both oxygen and power crystals were, not sure it was necessary to remove them completely at all (the rationale for their existence is what you make of it, the lore is what you create after all as a Developer). Whatever. Still, power cells shouldn’t require such a rare resource. While there are a few hither and yon (abandoned bases will have 1-2 sometimes, plus explorer packs may have a few but not all will) it’s unreliable even if you’re a hardy explorer like myself. The rarity of sourcing them and zinc leads one to naturally hoard them rather than use them, and that’s just a bad. We should feel free to use them (wisely but freely. I’ve spoken about how ridiculous the whole notion of artificial gating is, and how I deplore it’s use in this update. If we’d seen the story implemented, and the crafting limits explained in context alongside the story, that would’ve been fine. I want to know where the story is. When we’ll see it. There can’t be a game without the story. Well not a good one. It’ll be just a space Minecraft then. Fun for something, not fun for long imho.

So here we are. Two important examples where the crafting materials have always been readily available (as they should be) but no longer are (now being artificially gated for no other reason than that, at least other items aren’t needed so early like a crane or drill). The cost of an Inhibitor has dropped from 1600 to 800 but that neglects the additional costs of the Vehicle Bay (1000 iirc), single use booster (500) the small shuttle (1500 iirc) and technically the smelter as well (I include that as well). Some will argue the other Inhibitor also needed the smelter, but I almost always found copper ore (not precursor, actual copper) from surface wrecks to do my crafting. It was exceedingly rare I needed to smelt malachite for copper to craft an Inhibitor.

What about finding an Inhibitor? Fat chance. The Devs could increase the odds of finding one in the overall loot pool (dead explorer packs) but I’m not holding my breath. As for zinc being using for other mods, idk. I don’t think they should use zinc at all tbh, and someone else suggested using a different material for each. Maybe, idk. Don’t have strong opinion on that one, don’t use the others really. The wide mod is helpful but given the power issue the Devs created I don’t favor the boost mod (guess I’m also patient lol). I’ve never fancied the boost mod even when it came out. Some like it though, and that’s fine.

The Terrain Analyzer is a bit of a different story though. It’s not what I’d call a typical mod, a creative implement more than anything else. Not so much a utilitarian feature, although I’ve heard some manage to use it as such. Many use it for amazing creative purposes to outline race tracks, paint a replica of Titanic, I’ve seen outstanding creativity on display in the Xbox club I assist with. The TA however has suffered greatly in previous updates, largely being ignored due to a high relative cost to unlock. The Xbox club offers me the opportunity to observe how people play and choose to unlock things. As for the TA, people don’t tend to bother unlocking it, esp early, because they’re focusing on other more important things they need. By the time they have excess bytes and have unlocked other stuff, they’ve long since forgotten about the TA and any creative notions they might have had. Placement in the catalog has always been an issue for the TA as well. It’s still tucked farthest from sight in the catalog, even in this update. Out of sight, out of mind. 

For something related primarily to creativity, something the Devs should be ACTIVELY encouraging use of the TA and that starts by making it unlocked by default. Why should they do this? Because it makes their game look better, the gameplay look better, it looks much more fun overall and will appeal to more types of players. In short, TA should be advertised more and be readily available. It should be placed somewhere far more visible to players and as I said it really should be unlocked by default. It’s incredibly telling that, creativity-wise, Astroneer with associated TA use hit its peak back when all tool mods were unlocked by default in the player’s backpack (sometime last year I believe). I realize this had something to do with some bugs or issues and as such, was never meant to be permanent thing. I’d argue when you’ve seen the outpouring of creativity I’ve seen, and it’s subsequent abrupt halt (well, almost) after all these mods were locked away again (specifically the TA), it’s hard to argue denying players access to the TA is a monumental mistake. They won’t use it otherwise. The game, and as a result the community, suffers for it.

Bottom line: Inhibitor should not be locked behind a material not available from Terran. Nothing makes sense about that. The TA should be available to all players. It’s not some OP mod it really has little to do with general gameplay but it makes the game more fun for creative types an makes the game more appealing aesthetically which can only benefit gameplay overall so I see no reason to either gate it behind an offworld material or lock it away in the catalog (much less charge the most cost for it). Let everyone have it. It’s not going to “break” anything.

Hello!

I'm new to this game so this update is the first time I am playing. And I've noticed something which may be unintended progress wise.

The medium shuttle seems redundant?

While yes you can make it earlier than the large shuttle (you only need tungsten from barren for the chemistry lab), you can't use it until you get the iron from another planet for the atmospheric condenser because you need hydrogen to make hydrazine. And as soon as I have the atmospheric condenser I can make the large shuttle, so why bother with the medium one? 

Maybe you could add a rare gas from another planet (not terran) as a requirement to make one of the components for the large shuttle?

So the progress would go:

1. setup smelter to unlock small rocket

2. go to another planet to gather resources (iron for atmospheric condense, tungsten for chemistry lab) to unlock the medium shuttle and hydrazine

3. setup a base with an atmospheric condenser on another planet to unlock the large shuttle

On another note: I love the design for the crane and drill head, but I think the need an overhaul if people are going to actually use them.

I can get most resources in hard rocks using the inhibitor mod anyways, and I'm not going to build a crane on every planet just to get that little extra ore in the center of the rock.

Suggestion for the crane:

1. add a cursor to the drill head similar to the one used by the terrain tool.

2. add a bit more range to the crane (+20% more), so I can mine a whole deposit without moving the crane

3. allow me to drive my vehicle from the crane. Maybe switch between a driving and a drilling mode

Finally, I think beacons should have better visibility and range. I've been way too close to losing sight of my home beacon far to many times, and I think getting lost would make for very frustrating gameplay. I actually got completely lost on barren in a buggy, but the planet was small so I made a round trip. At the very least make beacons visible troughs clouds and mountains?

That is all for now, great work I am loving the game! I

I'll be sure to post more feedback here as things show up or come to mind

Cheers!

Beacons need a lot of improvement but they’re nice to have. I remember a time when we didn’t have anything at all! It was a bad time.

I don’t use the crane and drill. Last time I made them, one of the few times I even bothered, was back near the beginning of Pre-Alpha iirc. Not everyone finds them useful. They’re certainly not necessary. I’ve never mass-produced anything, so what I’ve been able to mine (especially with an Inhibitor) has usually been more than adequate for my needs.

As for the update, I think they introduced too many recipes, and certainly too many “complex” recipes, all at once. This update would’ve been received better if it had been divided up over 2-3 updates, and not been introduced at the same time they also changed default platforms, removed the oxygen and power supplements, and changed some basic crafting recipes like resin for medium storage and filters. The thing that’s frustrated (and angered) me most has been the ridiculous “artificial gating” this update forces on players. The Devs have absurdly tried to pass it off as “meaningful progression” yeah like I’m going to buy into that. The game has been plenty meaningful for me, and I’ve enjoyed it a lot. I don’t need the Devs to decide for me what’s meaningful. I’ve only made it to Barren twice. When you realize I play several hours a day, and I have well over a thousand hours played so far, that’s saying a lot. I don’t care for their new system. In fact, they can have ~90% of it back. If they’re wise, we’ll see a lot of changes come time for the next update.

Specifically, here are a few things I’d like to change. The Inhibitor (and maybe other mods) should be craftable from resources found on Terran (no offworld trips required). Filters should return to using compound to craft (Devs have shifted too far into resin use, it’s now a problem finding at times). I don’t mind the Soil Centrifuge but like someone else posted for the love of science and all things sacred please balance the damn centrifuge it’s so triggering!!! You’d blow that rotor so fast letting it run that way omg does no one actually look at how stuff really works IRL? Oh yes let’s spin stuff all lopsided yes that’ll work our great! No NO NOOO! Anyone who’s used an actual centrifuge knows you’ll have “balance tubes” lying around for the inevitable “odd load” which brings me to another point about the centrifuge.

Please let us CHOOSE how much resource we want to create, meaning spin down. Maybe I don’t want or need 8 clay. Maybe I’d rather keep some soil in reserve. Maybe that’s much more important to me, creating something else as well, but the soil’s already loaded and I can’t do anything about that. The UI suggests we’d be able to pick a number off the bar display, so let us. We have use of a cursor, both for Xbox and PC, why not let us use it? We could use the cursor to fill or empty the colored graphical bars representing how many of a resource we want to have spun out (obviously this won’t offer much selection for something like Quartz, which iirc you get just 2 from an entire soil load, not many options there but you can still choose just one if you’d like, guess the “balance” notion will have to be an exception there unless they put in a “phantom” load to match it lol). I tried to choose how many clay I spun down from soil in this manner and was disappointed this interface didn’t exist. It appears as though you have this option, the interface seems to suggests you do, and I think it’s misleading. Why bother showing the bars at all if we can adjust them? Why not just put a number instead? It’s little things like this, where the design is good, but actually fails in delivery. It’s like the artists who design the machine have a great concept, but those who code the interaction and usage just don’t get it (or give us wonky interactions, like holding buttons down ahem). Curious, we don’t need to hold any buttons down on the Switch. Nintendo gets by just fine for Zelda Breath of The Wild and you can do lots of stuff in that game! But that brings up yet another frustration. Something the Devs have completely ignored when it comes to controls for console.

It’s beyond comprehension actually. The Devs have squandered the D-pad, totally wasted it in Astroneer. What does it do? Absolutely nothing in terms of gameplay. It emotes, that’s it.  Most games take advantage of this rich control interface. Console is already at an extreme disadvantage compared to kbm and here we are, with the Dpad used for nothing but emotes. I just don’t get it. Players don’t use emotes, most of them anyway. Absolutely ridiculous. Co-op is pretty bad for console to begin with, so unless you just love emoting to yourself, there’s little purpose for it (certainly not enough to piss away it’s use for controls). Put emotes on a button hold, how about that? That way we can have 4 Dpad functions that actually work well? Sounds like a winner to me! This is mind-boggling. The Devs have willingly sacrificed playability for fricking emotes? Makes total sense, right? PC gets kbm but despite gamepad limitations the Dpad is delegated to emotes. Someone spent too much time playing Destiny.

Power cells, like the Inhibitor, should be craftable from a common (ubiquitous I mean) Terran resource and not require visiting another location to acquire (even more so now, given power crystals have been removed). With the removal of oxygen crystals, fixing filter duration should be a top priority. Tungsten and iron are needed in too many early-mid game items. From what I’m hearing, a lot of people just aren’t interested in this “progression” or going though all these recipes. Many didn’t bother unlocking and/or crafting everything in the catalog to begin with. Plenty of folk were happy to exist solely on Terran without leaving (or maybe venturing on to Barren to avoid the storm nonsense). I’ve always considered Terran “home” because I like how it looks, I’ve always found interesting stuff, and console performance made it a sucky experience going elsewhere by the time I was ready to do so. Had performance not consistently been an issue, I’ve always liked Tundra the most, with Exotic a close second. Barren is fine, I certainly like not having to deal with storms. I don’t like the bland color scheme overall (there are some nice blues here and there, but it’s mostly neutral tones and some earthen ones as well). It has a very isolated and lonely feel and aesthetic, but that also gives it the most authentic space-like abandonment and isolated feel too. Some may favor this environment, but it’s not really my thing. I also don’t really like the rapid spin it has. Luckily it doesn’t bother me, I don’t get vertigo like some people do, but that doesn’t mean I really enjoy it either.

I must say this is the first update I’ve noticed a significantly smaller “peak” interest as well as the fastest decline in member activity for the Astroneer club on Xbox One I assist in. In recent months I’ve seen upwards of 130 even 150 people visiting the club in a single day following updates. This update however, I think the most I’ve seen is about 50, and hardly anyone has been posting clips or pics. Can’t be sure, but it seems people aren’t interested in learning all this stuff over again, jumping though hoops, having all the stuff they’ve known and had access to before suddenly locked away for no apparent reason. It doesn’t give one a sense of progression imho, instead it sends the message you don’t deserve these things anymore and you have to grind for them. If there was a story explaining why we needed to go to other planets, I’ve been saying all along that would make a difference. We don’t though. I’m not expecting the game to be like some easy creative mode, but I don’t like artificial challenge and gating either. 

I agree we don’t need 3 spacecraft. All spacecraft should have cargo space as well. No sense in taking off with just a backpack for cargo. Would anyone do that, I mean really? No way. I have a worklight, hopefully a power cell if I’m lucky to have found one on Terran, a couple of soil canisters on my tool, and 3 oxygen tanks so I can explore off tether without suffocating. All these things (except the power cell perhaps) will be going back with me. I still need to gather zinc precursor and tungsten precursor. Now, given what I already have on me, and how limited my pack space is, does this sound reasonable? It’s not. No one who travels space would travel this way. It’s ridiculous. You simply wouldn’t strap yourself to a rocket with a chair on top and plan to return bringing only what fits in a backpack. We never needed the new little shuttle, so let’s just pretend it never happened. We also don’t need rocket fuel to be something complex, but the Devs are often too stubborn to admit they made a mistake so let’s assume they won’t fix that part. So what else can we fix? Let’s make the disposable rocket a rechargeable, reusable one instead. No fancy means either. No needing a chem lab or atmospheric gases to recharge, just simple stuff you can craft with resources found on Terran. No one wants to be some Astroneer polymer chemist.

As for 3 vehicles, I would say the same thing except the small rover (now the “buggy”) does make sense as a scouting vehicle. You’re often not going that far away from your base, and even if you are you should be using beacons to mark your way (although again, we need to add more info or iconography to beacons to prevent getting lost; it’s still too easy to lose your way especially on a big planet like Terran). For spacecraft it’s a different story. We aren’t near our home base. We’re leaving and going somewhere far, far away. I don’t know why anyone thought it a bright idea, a neat challenge, to have us leave for Barren or wherever with just the cargo space in our backpacks but in practice it sucks. Yeah yeah, you can build a base using your pack, if you want to. I’ve been there, done that, it’s not very exciting. Was fine when I had to do it to survive, when I lost my base the first time or two. But I’m on the moon, I haven’t lost my base, I know where it is, and I want to get back to it ideally with a bunch of crap someone arbitrarily thought I needed to make stuff I’ve made before, made a thousand times over, and enjoyed the hell out of the game just fine.

Idk who they thought anyone “needed” this sense of progression. I certainly didn’t ask for any. Most want Terrain 2.0, and a fair number want the story as well. Introducing all these changes (basically requiring you to learn the whole game again) this close to launch wasn’t the wisest thing they could’ve done, that’s for sure. I’m sure the Devs will say “oh gosh, no one likes change, you’ll get used to it” yeah that’s true of people who lose a limb as well. Doesn’t mean anyone wants to be an amputee, or that life is better as one (I suppose it is if it’s a lifesaving procedure, but not if you’re brutalized by another person and lose an otherwise healthy, functional limb). I’m not trying to be insensitive here, I’m only making a point. Not all changes are necessary or good. Some are necessary. Some are good. Some of this update is reasonable, but a fair bit isn’t. There’s time (thankfully) to change a lot of it and make it much more reasonable. Just hope the Devs will listen this time. Their track record on fixing updates (balance-wise) hasn’t been so great. They often ignore player input. They seem to think oh well it’ll be ok in time. When the game releases, they can’t afford to think that way anymore. They make unpopular changes, their game and their studio will suffer.

As someone else pointed out, a lot of changes the Devs have made over the course of development seem haphazard at best. There have been some great ideas, concepts and updates to be sure, but not much of it has seemed to fit a unified whole or plan. It’s like they keep coming up with great ideas, but keep reinventing the notion of what they want Astroneer to be like, or about. Truth is no one really knows what it’s supposed to be about. At this point I’m running out of reasons to play without some meaning, some rationale. The Devs haven’t providing any notion, nothing that makes sense. Every few months it feels like the game reinvents itself. That’s getting more than a bit tiresome, especially when the game doesn’t perform well, still crashes all the time, co-op remains virtually unplayable, and there are too many serious bugs too count. Won’t bother going into UI and lightning, covered those extensively elsewhere. 

Hi, this is the first time I play this game and I like it, it is a great game with great ideas. I played just a couple days and for the moment I found no bugs. To me it works quite well. Just found two little issues, when I park a rover close to a cave I filled with tethers it does not link to the closer one, I have to click the tether and place it back, then it works perfectly. The second issue is: when a tether is on an irregular terrain (not completely flat), when you load a save, this tether may be a bit moved and unlinked, placing it back links it back to others. I did not try it but I guess it may not be good to be at the end of the line when loading a save. ;)

Apart from that, I have a couple suggestions:

1) First one is about storms, right now they are nothing but a nuisance, they make you stay at home doing nothing for some minutes. What if you include some strange materials or objects to those rocks that fly during storms? Maybe something that only appears during storms. And you create an improved suit or equipment that alllows you to go outside during storms and investigate them. That way you would include a sort of storm hunter and include a new feature. That would be cool in my humble opinion.

2) I have an issue with beacons. I place one on my medium rover to not lose it. I activate it but everytime I load a save then it is switched off. Could it be possible that it remained active?

Thanks and keep with the great job you are doing. I cannot wait to see what else you will include in game.

People complaining about System Era getting rid of Nuggets need to shill.  There is quiet a lot of options for power source.  Simply using a generator and turning it on on your Astroneer will give you energy, tethered to the main base/Vehicle while energy is running will support you, battery on pack will give you energy.  They just added resin to be turned into oxygen filter and once you can unlock glass which is easier now vs the old Titanium to build a tank, you can just make air tanks now which just requires Quartz.

Those complaining about Ammonium and being unable to do get "infinite" Hidrazine and saying scrap is limited?  Do you know you can just build items using resources from the SOIL CENTRIFUGE which is the ENTIRE PLANET and Get the SCRAP from them to trade it within the Trade Platform?  Simply the traditional way of doing it changed.

I welcome these changes as getting infinite stuff is way to easy for a game were there is no real threat yet.   Its like people complaining in the vehicle update due to having now less power, it gave purpose to engines and energy source.  People complained and now no complains.  Vehicles having their own beacons, barely served purpose , now beacons have more usage.

I don’t mind them getting rid of power nuggets or oxygen so much as it would’ve been better perhaps to decrease their amount (a wean basically), and then discontinue them. Going cold turkey was a bit harsh when in addition to that so many other changes were implemented at the same time. I’ve said before, in terms of raw power, was stupid easy to get.

As for oxygen, I was already using filters and had been for a long time. They’d been misunderstood for far too long, and imo misnamed from the start. Not surprised a lot of players never took to using them, and with them not functioning correctly (they’re not meant to run continuously, they’re supposed to fill your tanks, stop running, and re-engage when you’re low again, much like the power cells do now, an “on-demand). It’s a little bit different of course when talking about filters because oxygen consumption is a constant, power consumption generally won’t be. 

Not sure I’m understanding the point about the Soil Centifuge and how that relates in some direct manner to the Trade Platform and scrap.

Ive never been a huge vehicle person, but I don’t find much issue powering them (I drive to a location, one I’ve usually marked via foot travel with beacon, and pick up important cargo and continue on my way). A mix of small wind and solar is typically enough without need of batteries, but an organic generator can pick up slack if need be.

I don’t find the organic generator a graceful or feasible power solution for my own character though. I hope the Inhibitor and the Power Cells are brought back to where they were, something easier to craft (with materials on Terran). I think it’s unreasonable to lock them off to travel offworld. Power cells have a very small footprint and when placed on a top slot don’t interefere with my sightlines. The organic generator, which I don’t like leaving in my pack (if I do it’s difficult to tell at a glance if it’s just a piece of organic or a generator), is too tall and obstructive in a power slot. Small solar at least pivots and has a thin “satellite” construction (whatever you call it, the solar cell panel itself), and the small wind turbine is also not a solid construction, plus it’s mounted on a bit of a stem. Maybe it’s just me, but I prefer any of these over the organic. Hard to argue though the power cells have the smallest footprint of all. They’re also the most reliable in all circumstances. Wind is preferable to solar though, for me anyway since I’m often making trips below ground or working at night.

I disagree strongly though with the vehicle beacons. Those were extremely useful and I never really had issues with that system before. Now I’m having a lot of trouble with beacons. Imo the Devs just messed everything up in terms of keeping track of your vehicles and anything you mount a beacon on. They don’t stay activated. Even within the same game (meaning, without saving and leaving) they’ll deactivate themselves for no apparent reason. You move a beacon from a top power slot above your pack into your pack or vice versa and that changes it’s activated state, like wtf? Why would that change anything? It’ll reset its color as well, sometimes. So the way I see it, we went from a dependable system where we always knew where vehicles were when they were crafted to not knowing for sure (and being required to “pin” them ourselves). Even if we know we pinned them, we can’t be sure they’ll remain pinned because the beacon may not stay activated (I’ve seen my vehicles’ beacons deactivate during gameplay). Makes no sense! I’ve printed medium storage pallets underground in caves to hold ore precursor so I can retrieve later, and put an active beacon on those pallets only to save my game, exit, and return with no active beacon on them anymore.

What’s the point of placing a beacon if it doesn’t stay active? I appreciate them allowing us to finally put them on items like storage and activate them, but seems to me they haven’t worked out all the kinks yet. It’s a buggy mess from my own experience. I’d really love to see vehicle beacons come back so I know at least those won’t deactivate and I can keep track of them. The Devs can’t even fix stuff falling through terrain, including vehicles, so I believe they owe it to us to keep a tracking system in the game (for now). By removing vehicle beacons before they addressed this issue, they’ve let us down.

I like the chemistry part.

The medium shredder is hopeless.  It producers so little it is not worth the micro of carrying thing to it.

I think the issue, which has always been there, is still there.  The issue is that the "game" is "complete the research tree and done".  I like research, I like building out my base, but then what?  No need to go to other planets because I do not need anything.  I can explore a large world but for what?

The game is now, build a small base, go off planet to get some iron/wolframite, then never need to go off planet again because trade platform gives you what you need. 

58 minutes ago, Chemie said:

I like the chemistry part.

The medium shredder is hopeless.  It producers so little it is not worth the micro of carrying thing to it.

I think the issue, which has always been there, is still there.  The issue is that the "game" is "complete the research tree and done".  I like research, I like building out my base, but then what?  No need to go to other planets because I do not need anything.  I can explore a large world but for what?

The game is now, build a small base, go off planet to get some iron/wolframite, then never need to go off planet again because trade platform gives you what you need. 

forgot to mention.  Large rover gets stuck on rocks way too much/easily.  If you really don;t want us to use it, just have the rocks stop it dead instead of having it not only stop but also get stuck and require digging out.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:39 AM, Chemie said:

Amen! This is my #1 deterrent for coming back and starting yet another game.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:39 AM, Chemie said:

It is way more efficient to make multiple interplanetary trips to get hematite and wolframite than to go driving around to find stuff to scrap.

23 hours ago, Chemie said:

Large rover gets stuck on rocks way too much/easily.  If you really don;t want us to use it, just have the rocks stop it dead instead of having it not only stop but also get stuck and require digging out.

Amen #2!

Coming back after a while of a break and my first impression is I love it!!

I like the catalogue of recipes being a sort of printer controller built into the backpack.

Just a bit of feedback as I have been playing maybe an hour and these are my first impressions. Sorry if they aren't too deep!

When I was sitting at my printer well within the concrete pad, I died. I guess I wasn't connected to oxygen..oops! I just thought it odd I was inside the safe pad but died.

I really like how the research works and gives a certain amount of data per minute like a currency. This felt really nice, and that I could gather a bunch and unlock stuff. A really nice goal.

I did notice though that when I was looking through what to unlock...I couldn't really understand what I was seeing. No tooltips or anything to let me know what an unlock even really does.

I thought that was a bit annoying because I wasn't sure if a 3,000 bytes item was worth it or a 500 bytes one. The ones that I felt the most confused on are the ones called "mods"

I seem to think that, wow, tethers have no range now. When I played a bit ago they had a nice distance. Now I am cluttering the ground often. Not sure if that's what you wanted, as sort of a compound sink to get far. *shrug*

I really like how when I wandered around I found some sort of fruit hanging from tree, and it was a research item! I wasn't a fan of the old digging up trees to get a nut and take it back to the analyzer. This feels much better.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to salvage these junk items of debris all over the place. My base started me near an almost identical setup, that is just damaged. I hover over the item to salvage, even try and use my vacuum gun, but nothing works. Help?

I really like all the different materials that I have found! It makes me want to explore a lot.

I would really like it if there was some sort of more detailed catalogue that I could read through, telling me about the minerals or whatever I have found and have a really nice model of it or something in the middle of the page, like a really detailed analysis of what I found.

I feel that there should be a ton of more items and mods coming! I love the research / unlock things aspect. It is a lot of fun.

Can I do nothing in my ship while I sit there waiting out storms? I would love to read the above catalogue, maybe draw a rough map or something of what is around me. I feel that there are not enough mapping tools available to me to actually plot out the terrain around me, actually explore and mark stuff.

Thanks for this update, it feels very nice.

When using the backpack printer, something that I'm finding very annoying is when flipping through the different items. There seems to be a slight delay "about half of a second or so" in displaying of the UI card with the item name. This delay is really inappropriate for interactive menu systems, you don't see these delays in any other menus. I know it looks cute and all but really, do we really need more lag in this game.

Hello, I'm a huge fan of the game!

I'm having an issue with the Vehicle Bay.

When I build it and unpack it on a large platform B that is already connected to another platform. I can use it like intended.

if I interrupt the power to the vehicle bay the control screen for it is all blue. no options at all. once the control screen turns solid blue, I can't use it anymore...

I've tried to reload the game, nothing changed. still solid blue. 

I've also uninstalled and re-installed the game but the same problems... 

Any recommendations?

I can only play the game for a matter of minutes before nothing is available to pick up/interact with. I Love this game and want to play. At this point, it's more frustrating than anything... I can't make any progress and no matter what I do I can't seem to fix it. I've re-installed and deleted ALL Local files. still no change... Please Help...

On 10/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, JmSkiLLs said:

Hello, I'm a huge fan of the game!

I'm having an issue with the Vehicle Bay.

When I build it and unpack it on a large platform B that is already connected to another platform. I can use it like intended.

if I interrupt the power to the vehicle bay the control screen for it is all blue. no options at all. once the control screen turns solid blue, I can't use it anymore...

I've tried to reload the game, nothing changed. still solid blue. 

I've also uninstalled and re-installed the game but the same problems... 

Any recommendations?

vlcsnap-2018-10-29-17h02m15s947.png

On 10/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, JmSkiLLs said:

vlcsnap-2018-10-29-17h02m15s947.png

It looks like there’s power supplied to the platform, so I guessing it’s hooked up in some manner to the rest of your base or at least to the main hab.

When you’re ready to print, you may have to re-orient it because it likely won’t have enough room where it is to print some things and certainly not with you standing in front of it, but I realize that’s getting ahead of myself...

Have you unlocked anything you can build with the Vehicle Bay? That’s what it looks like to me, you have a blank blue screen which appears in my games when I’ve yet to spend Bytes to unlock something I can print. Nothing shows up iirc unless you’ve spent Bytes. If you haven’t unlocked anything, try spending Bytes on something like the small rover (now called the Buggy I believe) and try again. That’s my suggestion if you haven’t done this already.

So many people play this game so many different ways.  I just hope the Devs can keep up with adding more and more possibilities of tools and things to do with the tools so we can all play just the way we want to play.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:28 PM, Shadow Echo said:

It looks like there’s power supplied to the platform, so I guessing it’s hooked up in some manner to the rest of your base or at least to the main hab.

When you’re ready to print, you may have to re-orient it because it likely won’t have enough room where it is to print some things and certainly not with you standing in front of it, but I realize that’s getting ahead of myself...

Have you unlocked anything you can build with the Vehicle Bay? That’s what it looks like to me, you have a blank blue screen which appears in my games when I’ve yet to spend Bytes to unlock something I can print. Nothing shows up iirc unless you’ve spent Bytes. If you haven’t unlocked anything, try spending Bytes on something like the small rover (now called the Buggy I believe) and try again. That’s my suggestion if you haven’t done this already.

That was indeed the case, thank you Shadow Echo. I feel like a dummy. lol

Great game! I have been playing since the Patch, new user, and this is a nice game to play.

The crafting is good, the resources plentiful. The crafting stations work properly. The vehicles work correctly, with exception of a few steering physics. 

Space travel works, sometimes the tundra planet looks segmented, but not always. Re-spawning after dieing off-world has sometimes taken the teammate back to starting area instead of back to planet they died on. Multiplayer works correctly, players often see resources in caves that other players in same game do not.

Suggestions.

1. Put a minimap with waypoints and compass. The curve of the planet negates the beacons placed, minimap could contain a waypoint/indicator to structures like bases and colors of other players.

2. Notification that another player has joined the game - w/planet location of said players.

3. Time of storms needs to be increased, they are too often.

4. Planet selection should not be within the "ring" should be system wide selection. I do see the point in the current setup, but hydrazine is easy to make, and people that play solo with a small ship will have travel issues and get stranded and frustrated.

5. Personally I would like a weapon of sorts. Something ranged for those pesky planets, mining under them to take them out is ok, but kinda lame.

6. Chat communication with groups and abilities to make groups.

7. Spiked "Tumbleweeds" on certain planets seem to cluster in areas and do not properly negotiate the terrain.

8. Location "beacon" for auto's like the ones we have for players or habitats. I have lost cars and no waypoint to find them. 

9. Make it possible to see other players beacons/icons even when underground - directional indicators again would be helpful with this.

10. Fix the issue with the large spaceship cockpit being turned the wrong direction when crafted on the ship, or allow us to be able to x-z the direction of it.

11. Implement construction options like Walls, Doors, Windows, building blocks of sorts to create bases/strongholds. Landmark Video game was awesome for this and NMS has a nice setup for this also.

12. Adjust viewing distance when traveling, My Rig can run anything and my monitor at 140HZ is plenty fast. Watching the terrain show up 20 feet in front of me is annoying, and rocks appearing in front of anything less than a Large vehicles is a drag.

13. adjust the daylight/night clocks or orbit a bit slower, days and nights are too fast.

I have more, just some of the things I have seen and suggest from playing over 200 hours of this great game. Keep up the good work guys, it's not No Man Sky, but it is a blast to play with my family and friends.

-=Thornes=-

-=Strength In Numbers=-