SES_joe

The Crafting Update Feedback Megathread

I overall like the update. Everything is a bit more tedious but also purposeful.

The one thing I'm not a fan of, because it's illogical, is the Trading Platform only taking Scrap now. As if Scrap has become this interplanetary uber currency and everything else is now worthless to everyone but oneself. At that point why even call it Trading Platform. It's essentially a Shop you pay with Scrap at. No trading to be found.

Maybe if instead of scrap the Shredder would output "Tradeable Containers" and I could throw everything in, also other resources (at a loss of course), then I could get behind it - lore wise. But the way it is now just makes no sense to me.

Also hunting for a single missing resource is not the fun part of the game. The Trade Platform gave a quick albeit expensive way out. Now it's just tedious busy work.

It is weird not having the entire crafting/progression tree in my head anymore. Nice change of pace I guess. I do find that I spend a lot of time just paging though the catalog trying to figure out what is even possible. And then I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the catalog and the chemistry lab trying to figure out what I could make. Still at the point where I can short circuit anything with gasses and iron, but sometimes I have to take the complex materials back a few steps to hit the nope. Having materials is in the catalog is a big step that can cut out a lot of (temporarily) wasted byte purchases, but it is also throwing a lot of information at the player, and it takes some work to figure out your position in the progression.

After playing for a while I wondered if perhaps the furnace should take some clay. Sure ceramic would make more sense, but you couldn't actually bootstrap then. Maybe quartz for research as well (once again glass would make more sense, except for progression)

I find it a little confusing that the same style of UI is used for both the backpack and the other controls panels, but the the backpack does not respond to the direction keys. A bit awkward because I'm pretty sure I open the backpack while walking now and then.

Small shuttle is working okay so far (I had seen enough that I didn't really have to figure it out). It does feel like the small shuttle should be grabbable, given that the shuttle is much smaller than the platforms you swing around with ease.

Why are storms still a thing? What part of "lets force players to regularly not play our game for at least a minute or suffer random unavoidable death" continues to seem like a good idea? It doesn't add "tension" to the game, it adds frustration and boredom.

Apart from that, the game keeps getting better, but please lose storms.

Pongo

The game has improved progression wise by miles. I still feel that the Xbox version could use some sort of tweaking to maximise multiplayer preformance. Over time when my buddy has joined my game begins to lag and lag more until it crashes. When he isn’t in the game. It works perfectly. Maybe just something to help reduce the crashing or to help the lag issue 

The game has improved progression wise by miles. I still feel that the Xbox version could use some sort of tweaking to maximise multiplayer preformance. Over time when my buddy has joined my game begins to lag and lag more until it crashes. When he isn’t in the game. It works perfectly. Maybe just something to help reduce the crashing or to help the lag issue 

I generally like the stretched progression.  

Coal deposits still make sense - they should yield carbon.  And graphite (and diamond!) should be convertible to carbon too.  Sulfur should be a rare ore too, in addition to a atmosphere extraction.  That plus gold are the three elements that occur naturally outside compounds - at least on Terra/Earth.  

You are perpetuating the myth that steel needs adding carbon.  Smelted iron ore yields low-grade steel - cast-able but not forge-able.  Use oxygen (or air) to reduce the carbon to yield forge-able steel.  Add more to get pure-iron (wought-iron).  (I did some research after seeing all the MineCraft mods doing the same mistake.)

The trading platform should not be a recycle center only.  Cu & Al ore/metal should have a poor trade-in value.  Rarer ore/metals should be better, but still not equal.  

I think the smelter should be changed to require clay and quartz.  

I spotted your cheating on the 1st thruster.  It takes 3 firings to go between planets.  You are using the emergency landing hack - you can land with no fuel (saw that in the wiki). 

Feedback..ok based on roughly 14 hours of patchtime 10.2

In general alot of the game cannot be reviewed until terrain 2.0 is added as many issues are compounded by the terrain glitches and issues.

The crafting changes overall, I like them.

However, the requirements seem somewhat steep to my younger steam collegues, who preferred easygaming via trader and soil extractor etc.  And using hacks with the seat etc..

However I do agree with them that parts of the system have failed. For example.  Gases used to manufacture via the chemical module/table, it just says "need condensor" when any of the gases are highlighted.  And in the condensor, you need to build one, on the planet, open it up to discover which gases it can collect.

There is no tooltip help to suggest where you should be doing this.

But for everything else there is and it works great, really nice overall imo.

That said.. Multiplayer is still very laggy and glitchy. I know it isn't part of the crafting patch, but more than one player in astroneer and the game is having issues.  So optimisation for MP is a must, with 4 players the game was somewhat glitchy for me on my ryzen 1600x and 32 gb of ram.  The other 3 players reported similar issues.  However, due to uncommon hardware, difficult to judge where game is at fault and someones pc is, overall everyone suffered the same issues.

Once T2.0 is in overall feedback should be easier to give, as it currently stands, there's still a shed load of bugs and glitches in the game.

Mostly graphical.

Falling through map.

Sinking into and bouncing out of map.

Plants growing 10' off map.

Vehicles flying away into space.

Small solar visually impaired and appears discombobulated.

Extreme difficulty driving 2 large trucks when carrying research seeds.  (on moon and exotic) on terran it's fine. 

Small Buggy is very buggy.  Power doesn't drain, it bounces all over the place and gets stuck on everything. Needs bigger tyres but keep the same style as explorer.

Tethers randomly fall over. and disconnect.  Fairly rare but it does happen.

Tethers unload into midair.. thought these had weight and were affected by gravity..

Player names don't always highlight.

Switching lights off on is great, but not if trying to turn another object, when it gets glitchy.  Best to drop the light, then turn object, pickup light again.

Interaction with Extenders is frustrating. Esp downhill.

Flatten terrain on all planets but terran is very frustrating.

Terrain seems to update minutes after exploration in some cases resources have appeared only after reloading the map.

Can get stuck running around on the moon, you just stop running for no reason.

Can get stuck between small plants on Exotic, it's just a plant.. it shouldn't block my progress.

Storms are still abit too common.  Don't seem to serve any real purpose.

Edited by Martin

@Martin Out of curiosity did you start a new save or continue an old one? Some of your bugs/glitches sound similar to an occurrence I had when I didn't start a new save after an update (I hadn't realized there was an update)

On 9/6/2018 at 10:57 PM, SES_joe said:

Post feedback, suggestions, etc here! Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say!

Hi System Era boys and girls !

Really nice update, more salt in the adventure, not still easy and intuitive play but pushes u to discover more.

just 2 remarks, probably already made by others players:

1) Minor problem but: Each time I play, I have to configure again the keys, would it possible to make it permanent when u change them : I' m French : keyboard is Azerty not Qwerty ...

2) Medium problem: When u dig and your backpack is full, ressources from multitool disapear under the ground if u 're not on an horizontal place, would it be possible by example that they don't fall but jump in the air (or atmosphere ;)) ?

But keep on the good work, your game looks like Subnautica during creation : better and better !

Bye

Destro

Brand new game, I always start new after a patch.

The worst issues are usually MP only or in late game, when you have multiple bases.  The game has issues with unloading resources which overtime can cause issues or else maybe small memory leaks.  Sync issues etc. All common stuff for all mp/online games.

Most sp games don't have issues.  Although some are common to both.

Edited by Martin

So far I've been enjoying this update up until I got stuck on another planet. I like the whole single use booster idea, but the whole white circle thing that shows what planet are in rage to travel to should be removed. I traveled to the Exotic planet to gather Iron and Tungsten, crafted another single use booster and went to travel back to my base and waited for over 5 minutes in orbit waiting for the orbits to line up with the range. I understand why this was a feature, but it doesn't make sense to have it implemented now. I tried traveling to another planet to skip the whole range thing, and realized I had the single use engine. I'm now stuck on the Radiated planet and can't find the resources I need to leave, so I'm just going to restart from a new save.

On 9/7/2018 at 8:51 AM, Wedge said:

@Oleker made a good point, one-and-done rockets are very counter intuitive since they're intended for new games. Early game trips to other planets are rarely never one way. The player doesn't have the resources to establish a large base, and once they can, they wont be considering wasteful propulsion. I understand the devs want to get players into space faster, but one-use rockets are a hindrance, and only cause for more players getting marooned. 

A better method is for solid-fuel rockets to maintain single use, but with the ability to recharge propellant - like how space shuttle boosters are recovered. To use the rocket new players would have to craft the propellant, and charge the rocket. Upon emptying an entire canister, they'll likely think, "I should make more becsasue I'll probably use some later, and maybe even bring some along..."

Some might even have the intent to fly well beyond a near destination - but upon discovering their rocket is out of fuel - they'll recharge, cut their losses, and return home having learned an important lesson about fuel consumption; all without needing to scuttle their first game to leave with a bad taste for Astroneer.

if you prioritize what you bring back you really only need to go to like, two other planets before you can unlock the medium spaceship, which just uses hydrozine. I do start worrying when amonium starts getting scarce around my base. i can only bring back so many from other planets with the medium ship.

23 hours ago, wondible said:

It is weird not having the entire crafting/progression tree in my head anymore. Nice change of pace I guess. I do find that I spend a lot of time just paging though the catalog trying to figure out what is even possible. And then I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the catalog and the chemistry lab trying to figure out what I could make. Still at the point where I can short circuit anything with gasses and iron, but sometimes I have to take the complex materials back a few steps to hit the nope. Having materials is in the catalog is a big step that can cut out a lot of (temporarily) wasted byte purchases, but it is also throwing a lot of information at the player, and it takes some work to figure out your position in the progression.

After playing for a while I wondered if perhaps the furnace should take some clay. Sure ceramic would make more sense, but you couldn't actually bootstrap then. Maybe quartz for research as well (once again glass would make more sense, except for progression)

I find it a little confusing that the same style of UI is used for both the backpack and the other controls panels, but the the backpack does not respond to the direction keys. A bit awkward because I'm pretty sure I open the backpack while walking now and then.

Small shuttle is working okay so far (I had seen enough that I didn't really have to figure it out). It does feel like the small shuttle should be grabbable, given that the shuttle is much smaller than the platforms you swing around with ease.

i agree with pretty much everything you said. making the small shuttle grabbable would enable you to get it out of the way to make room for something else to be built on the vehicle bay as well. i usually end up making a couple vehic bays for that reason. it is an annoyance.

I'm really enjoying the new update! The resources are a great addition, and I'm excited what you unveil with more development. This is certainly a good foundation for a lot more content.

I think clay and/or ceramic should factor in earlier in play. I found a lot on terra, but couldn't use it for a while. So that seemed a bit silly to me.

I like the single use rockets, but I was put off a bit when I upgraded to the medium spaceship and it automatically had hydrazine. I think each spaceship should have a rocket slot on the bottom (or perhaps even multiples) where you can swap out the rocket of choice. When I upgraded, I wasn''t quite ready for hydrazine production, so the ship just sat for a while and was generally in the way.

Which leads me to my next point, please create a craftable landing zone where we can choose to land our ships. This would open areas on, say, Barren where we couldn't land before. It would also allow us to not stack ships on top of each other. ***For those reading this, just turn your vehicle bay, and your ship will land in front of it.*** That's a work around, but it's silly. :P Plus that landing pad thing you created isn't being used right now...So....

Why are gases not being put into the canisters you created? That is so silly. I don't care if I have to make a thousand canisters, make me use them. It pushes me out of the game now, since we have canisters, but you do not use them. And since the soil centrifuge can always get use the materials we need, canisters are easily created. Perhaps add a recipe to the medium printer to print 4 canisters at once or something like that. I think that could be nice.

I like the coal -> carbon change. That feels accessible. I also like that organic can become carbon. I haven't tested the medium generator yet. Is the shift from organic to carbon worth the crafting time? I hope it is. :P

Aside from the canister thing, I think my biggest issue is that you cannot see recipes without looking at the chemistry lab and you cannot see gases without seeing the atmosphere condenser. Make those observable in the catalog. Make us put together a satellite that we can launch into space so we can scout planets ahead of launching there. I think that would be cool. It would give us atmosphere data, it could also hint at planet resource content. I don't think you need to tell us everything, but certainly hint at it.

I believe modularity is on its way eventually. What I'm seeing now (the boosters and the chemistry lab) makes me hopeful that modularity is awesome. Speaking of that, I found this awesome crash site on Barren where it's an impeded base that sticks up like a flower or something. It has a platform up top with storage spots and perhaps the top could even be a landing pad. It also had electrical cables you can pull out at the bottom. IT WOULD BE SO COOL if you could upgrade your home base into that thing. Extra space, a place to land a ship. I think that would be sweet. It was really cool to just find that thing. I hope more usable wrecks exist currently for me to find. When I went to Barren, I turned that into my base of operations. It was fantastic.

One last thing, someone mentioned spreading out the resources so that rovers were more necessary. I agree wholeheartedly. The worlds feel huge already, so this would enhance that quality of the game. Make us work a bit harder. Additionally, I think a little cart you could build for the buggy might be cool. More research, more resources/crafting, then you can haul a medium storage or a research nugget. Seems acceptable to me.

Keep up the great work!

A few extra thoughts I forgot:

I'm not enamored with the trade platform. I like that it was nerfed. What I don't like is that using the shredder for scrap is so time intensive and clunky. For one, it's impossible to haul stuff. (Yeah, yeah, winch, but meh :P) A thought there is an electromagnet attachment for the crane. Like the winch, but it requires a power source to maintain the magnet. Scrap is good...Perhaps it can be converted via the chemistry lab into other metals. Different gases plus two scrap equals 1 iron or 1 zinc. Etc. That could be an interesting avenue. The trade platform and scrap interaction, as it stands, isn't working. 1:1 scrap to ammonium? Meh.

I think ammonium should be craftable from a machine, as well. Like max end of the soil centrifuge? So it takes some work, but if you have the mods you can fill canisters easily and get ammonium that way? In shifting to hydrazine, ammonium was the biggest bottleneck. And that bottleneck was mostly just the time it took to get to the deposits I knew of.

It's official for me.

The solid-fuel rocket mechanic, frankly, sucks really bad. Not to mention the new player marooning mechanic, it's far too easy for replacement engines to clip through terrain and fall into the void of the planet. Literally, the those rockets serve to only maroon players. As of right now, they suck the fun right out of the game.

Edited by Wedge

One small thing could you make it so the solid thruster brakes once you have landed.  As you should need it working to land.

6 hours ago, Dr. Sno said:

i usually end up making a couple vehic bays for that reason. it is an annoyance.

You can just move your vehicle bay, no need to make more than one! 

I had the weekend to run through this update, so let's get started because there is a lot to cover. Let's begin with the first thing, I'll be following the patch notes so I don't miss anything.

1) Crafting progression

After reading a lot of the comments, I've noticed a common theme and that is "We are being forced to go to other planets". I've never felt forced to go anywhere in this game from the beginning because I'm a big proponent of exploration, hence the reason I bought into this early access but I do find that the team maybe pushing players to go to other planets for the wrong reason. I look at other planets as a challenge to overcome and to discover new mysteries & new recipes and even very rare exotic resources but when it comes to resource gathering, that should be the last reason for going to these planets.

Instead of requiring players to travel to other planets to gather resources, how about requiring players to explore certain regions of the current planet (Terran) to gather different resources that are only available in these regions. This would encourage players to explore the whole planet.

Well enough of that, let's get on with the progression stages. Going to skip stage 1 & 2  because it's pretty obvious.

Stage 3 - I really didn't want to talk about this topic again but I have no choice. Soil as a resource is an idea I've detested from the beginning and I still do. I found it too easy but the thing is, I used to have no problem finding resin in abundance but after this update, now that the ingredients have changed on certain recipes, I had no choice but to use it. I've never in my year and half of playing this game had to use so much resin. As for compound, I barely use any. Balancing is going to be needed on this.

Stage 4 - the new chemistry lab is quite interesting to use but I do find that it needs to be broken into two separate modules. A lot of the combinations just don't make much sense, like the carbon + iron + argon will make steel. This is where I see another module that is similar to the smelting furnace but runs on certain gases or coal and it would allow you to combine these two elements. This would give us different means to power this furnace besides electricity. Some of the other recipes like rubber or plastic also seemed a bit off too. As for the other module, it should be based on chemicals hence the name of this module.

Stage 5 - The new atmospheric condenser is a great addition to the game, especially for planets with different atmospheres. I haven't tried it on barren yet but I'm guessing it probably works, just like the filter. The one thing I didn't care much for, was the tier 1 gas containers. I myself find it overwhelming that everything we handle is in the tier 1 sizes "cubes". How about a tier 2 canister or tank or even a hose that can be connected directly to different modules. It's cute and all, that the new condenser creates gas canisters but it seems it would be more practical to have larger tier 2 tanks that can be attached to other modules. While exploring Radiated & Arid, I did notice that Ammonium wasn't readily available so perhaps using a combination of gases to create hydrazine may be feasible.

2) New Resources and Recipes

A lot of the new resources just seemed a bit too similar to other resources to easily identify them while exploring and other resources were nonexistent like lithium and carbon. Replacing coal deposits doesn't make much sense in my opinion, why not just use it for something else.

As for the crafting resources, some seem a bit off with their ingredients and others like titanium alloy or nanocarbon alloy have a huge list of ingredients and multiple refinement. Interesting in all but its quite a pain when you have to keep opening the control panel in the chemistry lab to find out what you need. This is where I find that the catalog is lacking.

Two new thrusters were added but only for the small shuttle. These thrusters seem a bit out of place compared to the existing medium and large shuttles that have built-in thrusters. And on top of that, the sheer distance that these thrusters can travel is just plain ridiculous, especially a solid fuel thruster. Thrusters this size would give you enough thrust to achieve orbit but that's about it. A better purpose for these smaller shuttles would be to use them to travel between one landing site to another on the current planet.

Another thing you could do with these thrusters is put them into a construction set. This set could be used to build your own spaceship. It just seems to me that the dev team is really limiting us when it comes to vehicles and ships.

3) General Changes

The redesign of the catalog looks much better but now that we have new crafted resources, they are nowhere to be found besides the chemistry lab. It would be nice to have a extra tab at the top for a resource wiki. That way we can read up on these new resources and crafted resources. Other information that was lacking, was the module required to produce or print these items.

The removal of the power nuggets was a bit disappointing to see, especially when there wasn't anything else besides the small organic generator to use when operating rovers underground. Medium and large rover batteries are pretty much useless to operate on without additional batteries that tie up your limited slots on the rovers.

Oxygen deposits and nuggets were removed, this did make running around in the caves & surface more risky now but in the end I don't see a problem with it. I do think that they should have left the blue oxygen deposits in the game but changed them to blue water droplets that could be sucked up into the canisters for other purposes.

Well that's it, I pretty much played enough of this to get a feel for it and will probably wait until the next update to play again.

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work.

Feedback time:

I spent all weekend playing, and I was able to unlock everything in the catalog (minus dynamite and fireworks) without building any medium or large shuttles, small or medium rovers (I built a large one on Barren out of curiosity but only took one trip), either shredder, or trade platform.

1. Adding the small shuttle and the disposable thruster was a brilliant idea IMO. The problem (if it even can be called that) is that the small shuttle is so versatile that now I don't want to use the other two. I can easily bring with me a few components to jumpstart building an outpost in another planet at a fraction of what building/fueling the other two shuttles cost, not to mention that you have to leave the planet to get the materials necessary to build the one machine that will allow you to build the other two shuttles, which I think it's absurd and totally backwards. Long gone are the days (at least for me) of building a large shuttle and packing needed components for an expedition into another planet...

One suggestion, though: let us grab and move the shuttles as if they were platforms, because once you build a shuttle it becomes an unmovable object right in front of your vehicle bay and it becomes a hindrance if you try to build something else, like a rover, for example, unless the intent was for everyone to have multiple vehicle bays or move the platform around every time one builds a shuttle...

Which brings me to...

2. I only built one large rover on Barren, but only out of curiosity to use the chem lab. Again, the small shuttle was so versatile to me that I did not feel the need to build any rovers. I took the large rover for a quick trip around Barren's surface, but wrecks were so scarce (only found one) that I didn't feel the need to take it out and explore any further. Everything I needed to bring home or to build an outpost was gathered by digging myself a cave entrance next to where the shuttle landed.

3. Drop ships are way too expensive to craft. I can achieve the same results with a rover seat and a beacon. I easily built two outposts on Barren and Tundra and did not need a drop ship to do so. The seat from my shuttle was used temporarily as refuge from storms and to save my progress.

4. For the love of all that's holy, add a confirmation to the research chamber! I accidentally double-clicked to start researching an 8,000-byte research pod, and the second click destroyed the pod, and it was early in the game, too. A confirmation that you indeed want to destroy the pod would help.

5. I was sad to see the power nuggets and oxygen bubbles go.

6. Pressing F1 does not reflect the new mechanics.

7. Soil Centrifuge: it is nice that we don't need samples like before. Too bad you can't do hematite or laterite anymore.

8. I know I'm missing something. It'll come to me soon enough. Too bad I can't edit my post to add it later...

Overall I'm a fan of this update!

So far, I've been overall pleased with the tech progression, and I'm happy with the solid booster mechanic as a way to get-started on close runs for materials before transitioning up to a bigger ship once you can start making hydrazine.

If I could only change one thing, though, it'd be the difficulties of reliably getting ones hand on ammonium. Normally I'd be less concerned, but you are required to get off planet to get your hands on various resources, requiring quite a bit of ammonium just to get materials to craft with. One possible solution would be to add ammonium to the list of materials that arise from the soil extractor. Since it is a tier 2 resource, I'd even be fine with only getting 1 unit per run of the extractor. This also has the benefit of allowing me to spend my hard earned scrap on rarer resources instead of feeling like I need to save it in case I have to use it to get hydrazine for a materials run.

Honestly, hydrazine feels a little far up the tiers to me: the need for hydrogen production means that I have to get to pretty much the top of the crafting tiers before I can start using it instead of solid boosters. Maybe drop it down one so we can start using it before we can extract hydrogen out of the atmosphere?

Everything else on my list is minor as it primarily pertains to a having the information needed to make decisions during a first run through, like preferring a round trip from a solid booster (so that you don't mis the tooltip and end up stranded  [which fortunately didn't happen to me]), or having a material's locations (e.g. planets) and "tech tree" (e.g. use the chem lab with x and y to make it) available so that new and forgetful players can better plan how to spend their hard earned research data on plans.

One last thing: I noticed a bug on Arid, where the spiky balls would hang in mid-air motionless, appearing in greater numbers, until I got close enough to suddenly cause them all to start moving in at me, in a giant wave.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:04 AM, Oleker said:

Solid Fuel Thrusters being single use is... dumb... literally. A one-way drive to another planet with absolutely no way to get back seems very counter intuitive, specially for exploration. Why not a 2-use so you can go to a planet, and come back to base?

take a second thruster packed in your backpack to go back to your planet ? but yeah, I understand the frustration of not being able to "refill" it

Suggestions :
- Adding some more keybinding option such as rover or shuttle ( to resolve the AZERTY layout issue mainly )
-Adding a kind of "space travel platform" where shuttle could land on instead of landing next to a vehicle bay ( obstructing the space for others craftings )

Confort-Bugfix :
- Fixing the sound set to 0 each time the game is launched 
- Fixing the Base lamp with a grey texture even at night 

The crafting update is currently the best update so far, the reworked modules are awesome, the progression curve is way better now, the new materials are awesome.
Still need a little bit of balancing on resin / compound usage.

Me feedback give:

Put the energy pills back in game. Ok, they are still there but produce organics. Wrong, totally wrong. The air bubbles being removed great idea. Now just get rid of those damn tethers and we'll be playing like big boys! I liked the energy pills as they were better for me to use than the annoying small generator. Should the energy pills look different? Of course! If they did there would be much more of an uproar about them being removed. But as they were; uninspiring, drab, yellow(?), some might say ugly, and now they are gone. Me sad

I've used the single launch rockets and I created the large shuttle. No need to use either shuttle any longer. First, what a pain in the ? (donkey) it is now to fill that damn thing. Then the canisters that hold the fuel just disappear? Then I have to spend all that time to fill it again? Yeah, no I'll be using the disposable rockets only. I never imagined myself building that medium shuttle anyway as I never used it before this update so if your still keen on removing things that can go. Same with the small shredder. 

I like the additional resources but then again, no duh! Who wouldn't? 

I like the gas chamber thingy it is ok. I like the entire concept but I think it is missing something or just feels incomplete? I don't know but it just did not get me as wowed as I thought it would from watching the video.  

Having to trade shredded junk and only shredded junk is only there to satisfy the discord community. It was there, not here, that SES heard the shouts; shredder! shredder! And yeah since its introduction it was not being used by many, so it had to be tied into something, some piece of equipment so it would be used by at least a few. By at least one, someone? Otherwise the shredder idea would have gone by the wayside like the energy pills & oxygen bubbles in the next update.
So somewhere in the far off universe it is scrap metal (and other junk) that some other worldly body wants to trade? Not minerals? Not pods? Not smelted? Not plant life? But scrap metal and only metal? Not gasses? Not the dangly things with the red lights? Not soil samples? But scrap metal? Not spiky plants? Not gasy plants? But, scrap metal and scrap metal only? 400+ years into the future? Oh, really? This makes about as much sense as the container holding the fuel for the large shuttle just disappearing after emptying itself. It makes perfect sense to force shredded material to be kinda/sorta useful however the entire shredder experiment has fallen very flat since release. It was a non-starter before it was introduced which is why it was never talked about on this forum. The shredder was introduced to placate the discord community and thus far it has been a huge swing and a miss. Even forcing players to use it as the only means to complete a trade will do little to change its overall failure. 

The resource extractor can just go. Resources are so abundant there is just no need for this machine as it is designed and used today. What else it could be used for I have no idea but it is just a relic of the past that needs to be repurposed or replaced. 

The new chem lab is ok. Just ok. 

Research pods are getting a bit tired and old

I like that only the backpacks are to be found. I thought finding dead Astroneers was a bit goolish. I also like that one I found was empty. Not sure why after my Astroneer dies, I find his dead body. But maybe for Halloween it might be a nice easter egg to have the dead Astroneers back for a 24 hour period. 

It looks like the resources and the EXO spaceship received some art upgrades? Artistic? Graphics? Well in any event it looks better than it did the last time I played which was a few weeks ago. I think I'm seeing more shiny bits in the soil as well? But I really can't remember version 9 now.

Other than that the update was a good one. I like the complexity that was introduced. I'm hoping for more complexity or the option to go down that path if one chooses. 

15 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

So somewhere in the far off universe it is scrap metal (and other junk) that some other worldly body wants to trade? Not minerals? Not pods? Not smelted? Not plant life? But scrap metal and only metal? Not gasses? Not the dangly things with the red lights? Not soil samples? But scrap metal? Not spiky plants? Not gasy plants? But, scrap metal and scrap metal only? 400+ years into the future? Oh, really? This makes about as much sense as the container holding the fuel for the large shuttle just disappearing after emptying itself. It makes perfect sense to force shredded material to be kinda/sorta useful however the entire shredder experiment has fallen very flat since release. It was a non-starter before it was introduced which is why it was never talked about on this forum. The shredder was introduced to placate the discord community and thus far it has been a huge swing and a miss. Even forcing players to use it as the only means to complete a trade will do little to change its overall failure.

Right? I'm glad I'm not the only one.

SES turned scrap into the game's defacto currency. Not good.

Shredders and the trade platform are totally optional. Without them, I was able to unlock everything and build three full bases (Terran, Barren & Tundra) which get me anything I need. I just jump on my little planet hopper, grab whatever I need, and return. None of that driving around looking for trash nonsense...

24 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I've used the single launch rockets and I created the large shuttle. No need to use either shuttle any longer. First, what a pain in the ? (donkey) it is now to fill that damn thing. Then the canisters that hold the fuel just disappear? Then I have to spend all that time to fill it again? Yeah, no I'll be using the disposable rockets only. I never imagined myself building that medium shuttle anyway as I never used it before this update so if your still keen on removing things that can go.

This. That large shuttle is such a hassle to fill the tank up. The time it gets me to fill the large shuttle's tank, I've done two round trips to two different planets on the little shuttle...

Gamebreaking!

I have been playing a brand new game after the crafting update. Have been playing for 8+ hours, I guess. And my progress has just stopped.

I have tons of research fruits lying around. The researchable canisters that I find in caves, the ones that give you heaps of research, I just dump them where I find them. For a very simple reason. I cannot find any Iron or Wolverite or Zinc. Tons of Copper. Heaps of Alluminium. No progress. I am so far from the base I cannot even bother to go back any more! I think at this point starting a new game would be easier! However, cannot be sure that there things will be different.

I should at least be able to build a small shuttle! Just to find that so needed bit of precious metal in a galaxy far far away. But without the condenser - no hydrazine. I do not remember the exact recipes now, but 8+ hours without progress? RIDICULOUS!!!