SES_joe

The Crafting Update Feedback Megathread

Post feedback, suggestions, etc here! Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say!

I'm sad af that Power Nuggets have been removed! Worst thing ever since removing the Medium Printer...

WOW! I love having so many more resources, it really brings you into the game and makes you more excited when discovering each new resource, and I love the feeling of knowing how many there are out there. It really expands the Astroneer Universe. Oh, and a suggestion from me: Raw maple extracted from trees in next update? Would be a great easter egg for all the boyos in the Discord 👌😉🍁

I'm hyped to travel on the journey to 1.0 and beyond, and Zeeb for LYFE (but don't tell Spicy)

3 hours ago, vizthex said:

I'm sad af that Power Nuggets have been removed!

Well the fact that they are organic instead of direct power makes more sense, as well as providing a fast source of organic on planets with less plant life but plenty of gas pods and spike plants surrounded by Organic.

Solid Fuel Thrusters being single use is... dumb... literally. A one-way drive to another planet with absolutely no way to get back seems very counter intuitive, specially for exploration. Why not a 2-use so you can go to a planet, and come back to base?

Edited by Oleker

The new catalog is designed well but looks pretty terrible on the xbox. I'm guessing it's a quality settings thing but I'm struggling to read the 'required' resources and the cost of unlocked items. 

The good:

What I have seen of the update so far (2 hours) looks good.  I like the updates to the research catalog.  I only played with the previous version for a few hours, but I had trouble finding things in it.  The required resource information has also been helpful.  I'm glad to see the fabricators renamed to printers for consistency.  It also looks like there have been some visual changes for consistency (the print button on the backpack resembles the other "go" buttons now, for example).

To improve:

It is confusing to new players that there is a backpack printer and you also start with a medium printer, but you have to create the small printer.  I think it would be more obvious if you had to print the small printer from the backpack, then print the medium printer from the small.  Or at least, start with the small printer and print the medium.  Having the gap in capabilities is strange.  Otherwise, just get rid of the small printer and have the medium printer take over all of the things it used to print.

The oxygen warning should be more obvious, or at least there should be an option for this.  It is way too easy to miss the little sound and O2 icon when you reach halfway when you are working off the tether.  Some kind of beeping that starts at the halfway point and gets progressively faster might be good, or a larger visual indicator.  This might bother some players, so if it could be an option, that would be the best.

The oxygen filters should be used last, not first.  Currently, as soon as you put oxygen filters on your backpack and go off of the tether, it starts using them.  The oxygen filters should be used as an emergency extension; right now they are very expensive because they are used right away, and if you find some in wreckage, they start to be consumed as soon as you put them on your bag.

It seems like the resource pop-ups do not appear when you are driving a rover.  I drove right up to a patch of quartz, but the pop-up telling me what it was did not show up until I got out of the rover.

It is not obvious to first-time players that rovers require power, and the buggy does not have a cable connection.  The game should inform the user that they will need a single-slot power source to charge up the buggy once they have created it.  Additionally, it is not obvious that you will have to make a seat.  This should also be listed.  I am thinking that both things could be added to the research catalog requirements for the pattern.

Edited by deus777

Gonna recommend again the option to remap the quick actions or make the long presses optional. Could we please have some flexibility for this? I'm not really keen on the "long press" idea.

Muy impresionado con la cantidad de materiales que se han añadido, tantos que hasta he llegado a no saber que hacer con tanto, por lo que intento acomodarlos en plataformas extragrandes... el problema es que no encuentro como imprimirlas, es decir, las impresoras medianas no las imprimen, solo objetos grandes. 

¿Vendrá una actualización con otra impresora?

¿Será un bug?

¿Mis materiales seguirán siendo un cáos? 

Solo queda esperar. jajaja

Why did u make creating Hydrazine so hard now? Fom me running for searching of Ammonium isn't fun and this is fifnite resource. 

Also we can trade now only scrap which is very finite too...

Travelling to other planets now is't funny anymore...

whats happened sorry i hate this new update others might like it but its a nightmare to get copper now abdr been stock piling dirty to get ad much copper as i wanted now thats out the window cheers.   cant even make copper ftom dirt bad mistake 

7 hours ago, deus777 said:

It seems like the resource pop-ups do not appear when you are driving a rover.  I drove right up to a patch of quartz, but the pop-up telling me what it was did not show up until I got out of the rover.

Finally, some good news! Hate hate hate those damn pop-ups! They are so not needed. 

11 hours ago, Oleker said:

Solid Fuel Thrusters being single use is... dumb... literally. A one-way drive to another planet with absolutely no way to get back seems very counter intuitive, specially for exploration. Why not a 2-use so you can go to a planet, and come back to base?

That's why you make two thrusters, one to go to another planet, and store the other in your backpack for a return home, worked great for me to go to barren for wolframite, then back to base, then to tundra, however the year long wait for terran to come back into orbit was boring.

17 hours ago, vizthex said:

I'm sad that Power Nuggets have been removed!

The sad part is that there's NOTHING else (at the moment) besides organic generator to supply power when operating a rover underground and that's a shame. Using wind power is just too sporadic and as for the medium generator that now uses carbon? Carbon! Carbon deposits aren't readily available on the starting planet and smelting organic into carbon, is just silly.

This all goes back to one thing if we had rover batteries that would last more than 2 seconds, perhaps I wouldn't careless. But this is just ridiculous, if they would of just left well alone (rover batteries), I wouldn't need to use power nuggets in the first place.

12 hours ago, Oleker said:

Solid Fuel Thrusters being single use is... dumb... literally. A one-way drive to another planet with absolutely no way to get back seems very counter intuitive, specially for exploration.

These disposable thrusters would be a great idea for use in an multistage rocket during the launch to boost it into orbit.

But as a means of transportation to another planet, are you guys serious? Once solid fuel is lit, it can't be stopped until it runs out, that means no thruster when landing. When you say it's a one-way trip, it would literally be a one-way trip into the ground. :) Who comes up with this stuff?

Here's a better idea, place the disposable thruster on the ground and then place a open 1-seat on top of it and there you go, off to another planet.

53 minutes ago, UndeadDragonKnight said:

That's why you make two thrusters, one to go to another planet, and store the other in your backpack for a return home, worked great for me to go to barren for wolframite, then back to base, then to tundra, however the year long wait for terran to come back into orbit was boring.

@Oleker made a good point, one-and-done rockets are very counter intuitive since they're intended for new games. Early game trips to other planets are rarely never one way. The player doesn't have the resources to establish a large base, and once they can, they wont be considering wasteful propulsion. I understand the devs want to get players into space faster, but one-use rockets are a hindrance, and only cause for more players getting marooned. 

A better method is for solid-fuel rockets to maintain single use, but with the ability to recharge propellant - like how space shuttle boosters are recovered. To use the rocket new players would have to craft the propellant, and charge the rocket. Upon emptying an entire canister, they'll likely think, "I should make more becsasue I'll probably use some later, and maybe even bring some along..."

Some might even have the intent to fly well beyond a near destination - but upon discovering their rocket is out of fuel - they'll recharge, cut their losses, and return home having learned an important lesson about fuel consumption; all without needing to scuttle their first game to leave with a bad taste for Astroneer.

Edited by Wedge

Hi i think the update is great its always fun when new recources are added to the game but i have some futere ideas.

1 at the compas circle around your character can you make a tiny bit of that circle blue and that blue part points to your base.

I think its a great idea becuse i sometimes lose my base 😂

2 nights are pretty dark so can you make some plants that gife of light and i just want to say how great your game is  

Crafted two solid-fuel thrustsers... went to another planet. The first broke while going there as expected. I landed on a bad spot and went to orbit again to find another landing spot, the second thrustser didn't broke and I landed without a problem. Mined stuff on the new location and set-off back to base, only for the second thrustsers to break on orbit, ending my whole save due being stranded on the other planet. There is no feedback about the durability of the solid-fuel thrustser. Or at least for everyone sake, explain properly how the mechanics work instead of giving us vague role-play descriptions.

Make the key rebinding work!

This is my top. Its annoying to rebinnd the kelys all the time. (and now is harder, with broken finger...)

The update is nice, it make the gam 'longer', and the player need to travel, not homesitting all the time.

and maybe a large shredder would be nice, for getting rid the big junks.

I love the patch, it finally makes Astroneer feel like a game!

A couple notes. 

1.  Since adding so many more resources, they all feel MUCH too close in proximity.  It negates virtually all usefulness of the rovers except for maybe some extra storage.  The scout is particularly useless.  Spread the resources out so that we have to use vehicles to efficiently gather them.

2.  For the rarer resources I think it would be a good idea if they weren't readily visible on the surface.  We could have technology that allows them to be detected under the surface thus forcing players to did for them rather than just scooping up what you can already see.

3.  I don't like the idea of hazards that you can't protect yourself from other than to just not get near them.  We should develop tech to mitigate the harm of the poison plants (which make no sense anyway since we're in a spacesuit).  All obstacles should have tech available to help deal with them, but not eliminate them or the game risks becoming boring.  Also more hazards would be great, just not the kind that kill you if you wander too close for 3 seconds...

4.  We need more items in general.  The progression is MUCH better, we just need some more variety and more items to work towards in an endgame scenario.

Overall I had given up on this game but this update really has me optimistic for release.  Nice work!

Edited by Matthew Rowland

@Oleker Yes, it still feels flimsy to me. 

I defiantly find the idea of modular propulsion methods and engine types very appealing. It’s a good direction to making vehicles more customizable. 

The solid fuel rocket is smaller when undeployed to facilitate carrying spares, but again, that is just a handicap. It means ferrying materials to a destination for round trips is gimped. Assumedly, the spare takes the place of the jettisoned, previous engine, but that limits the player to specific trips... and what if they accidentally land in the wrong place? Hydrazine has far greater utility. Solid-fuel seemingly is a stopgap to prevent early, all access passes to the whole system at the onset.

Before, all you needed was a condenser, a shuttle, and some spare fuel - things that could be acquired on the starting planet. Not to mention trade is gated by tungsten now. Still, it seems the solid fuel rocket is just a temporary bridge between resources. After that, conditions are pretty much the same.

Furthermore, unlike some other stuff that might be obtained early, yet is still useful later on, the solid rocket doesn’t cut it. Even the small rover has applications, and can fulfill roles its larger counterparts cannot. What I’m getting at is, the solid rocket is relegated to the first initial trips to Barren; hell - if a player is real savvy - they’d only have to use solid rockets twice, or even once. 

In a return play through, it simply acts as an annoyance. To newcomers, it is an obfuscation of later mechanics, and a real hard sucker punch of a lesson. Maybe they are necessary for curbing progression, but it will not be a strongsuit in the way of game mechanics. 

I haven't had much opportunity to try the new update (I'm basing this comment off reading everything posted so far) so feel free to correct me, but would it have made more sense to keep the current system of filling with hydrazine but limit it to a smaller tank on a small ship, rather than a one off thruster? If they were to instead make the ingredients available on most , if not all, planets to craft hydrazine, but limit certain materials to craft full bases then you could eventually rebuild to refuel even if stranded. Building a larger ship capable of bringing the resources required to build a full base would still require the trip with a small ship first to gather enough resources to build that ship. I've heard in the past about playing around with the idea that ships and rovers would need to be built piece by piece rather than the quick 2/4 components, so unlock building the pieces for the small ship/vehicle first because you can't find the resources for the big vehicle/ship on your beginning planet. It's still causing a travel cap because only so much cargo can be brought. You could even make 3 ship tiers, the first being similar to a rover in that it's basically a seat with a thruster, enough fuel space to get there and back, and the only way to transport materials back is on your backpack, which would already be partially full with maybe a backup O2 tank to travel away from the ship, or maybe resources to start a small base.