Hi, my idea is to make a separated mode named the "Survival mode", where we would have hunger and thirst.

Water could be found on the leaves of the big trees and you could drink it straight or pick it up to a separate container named the "Water container". The container would be like a normal dirt container, but would store water, which you can drink. And there also could be a machine that would produce water over time, like a fuel condenser.

Food could be made by a special new module that would make food rations from maybe organic stuff? A player could also pick these rations up to take them for exploring. Also a farm could be added, where you would plant crops and when they grow up, you can pick them up and get a straight food ration to the equipment. Farms would also need water to work.

When starting a new world, the modules would be in the starter pack.

I would love to see that mode in the game. I think it will attract many more players, the casual ones, who just like exploring and building, and the players who like an extra spice to the game.

Thank you for reading!

I'm not sure about the hunger and thirst system.
They seem like good suggestions, and from what we already know, these could make it into the game but only by piggybacking other coming features.

Water
There is no water in the game at the moment - but it has been something that has been worked on by the SES team and shared through the Vlogs. However, this is only for the physical liquid form of water on planets, not that it will have many uses, therefore, your suggestion for extracting water from leaves shouldn't be the main way of obtaining it. Instead, water should be filtered from bodies of liquid that can be found on the planet and stored in a new module.

Food
I'm really not too sure about this one, mainly due to how the current version of the game functions. There aren't many places that you could be able to obtain food if you wanted to - trees? organic? Also, I'm not sure how the Astroneer would consume the food... I can't think of an animation that is suitable for the consumption of food without taking a helmet off, which is not an option in space. However, this could be possible with the introduction of farms (which have been confirmed and are on the roadmap) that produce the food, but the consumption problem still remains.

Farms
This is already confirmed as a feature coming after 1.0 release. Here it is on the roadmap: https://trello.com/c/24UAruV9/335-farming-system

All in all, I am still neutral in this suggestion. I don't see this being a vital implementation to the game without strenuous programming and work-around-ing?
In my opinion, a more practical "Survival Mode" would be this recent suggestion:

Maybe for food, you'd pump it into the habitat or dropship? Then whenever you entered the habitat, you'd automatically eat while inside. Seems pretty cumbersome, though, especially for long journeys/mobile bases.

7 hours ago, whoophuam said:

Water
There is no water in the game at the moment - but it has been something that has been worked on by the SES team and shared through the Vlogs. However, this is only for the physical liquid form of water on planets, not that it will have many uses, therefore, your suggestion for extracting water from leaves shouldn't be the main way of obtaining it. Instead, water should be filtered from bodies of liquid that can be found on the planet and stored in a new module.

To me, it would make sense to make water threw a combination of hydrogen and oxygen,  I was sure the new vlog said something about the condenser being used to condense other gases, so that would make sense.

8 hours ago, UndeadDragonKnight said:

To me, it would make sense to make water threw a combination of hydrogen and oxygen,  I was sure the new vlog said something about the condenser being used to condense other gases, so that would make sense.

The problem with 'how the Astroneer will consume the water' still remains, but it is a good idea and something that would fit in the game with the upcoming update.
One thing that I thought of for combating the consumption problem is: tubes.
The top slots of the backpack would be used for canisters/tanks which would be filled with water, then tubes would connect to the underside of the astroneer's helmet and some sort of drinking sound would be played.

Edited by whoophuam