SES_joe

The Crafting Update - September 6th, 2018

7 hours ago, mumbles mumbles said:

tired or startting new games cause I get so far and the performance takes a massive hit on xbox one. it's like Ssslllloooowwww  motion 

That's optimization... which isn't really the focus of the suggestions asked for. Besides, this isn't the thread. Try this one:

Edited by Wedge

On 9/11/2018 at 3:45 PM, mungotr said:

did somebody, since the update on 10.2, start again? makes that no iron or zinc can be found, have already searched square kilometer. translated at google

you get iron, tungsten, zinc and titanium on the planet tundra, on the planet with tensile radiation, tungsten, astronium, lithium on the surface of the planet. the first trip that is made when it resumes in my case is the planet tundra, therefore to advance in the precise constructions of much iron and tungsten.

one thing I noticed is that when we die in version 10.2 is not visible the sign of our body, I do not know if it was a bug or not, but when I died my body disappeared and only left some items that I had in the backpack dropped on the floor 

translation of Pt to Eng by google translator

I know I am a little late to the party but I've finally got round to playing the latest build of the game and I just want to say how much I love it.  The game finally has some structure.  It feels like you've given me everything I was asking for 8 months ago but delivered it in a much more elegant method than anything I'd thought of.  The fact that you've now locked off large chunks of the game behind Tungsten & Iron and made me leave Terran to go and find them is perfect.  And the fact that I've got to go find them in a small shuttle with no cargo capacity and a disposable one shot thrusters makes it feel like my off world excursions need some real thought and planning.

I also love the wrecked Exo Habitats that populate the world.  It gives you a real feeling of desolation, all these other missions that failed.

22 hours ago, Falabem said:

one thing I noticed is that when we die in version 10.2 is not visible the sign of our body, I do not know if it was a bug or not, but when I died my body disappeared and only left some items that I had in the backpack dropped on the floor

The game does not add a flag for each time you die in the game, only the last death. For prior character deaths, it is like you described. You will find the items you had at the time of death scattered on the floor where your body would be...

10 hours ago, KungFuStu72 said:

I know I am a little late to the party but I've finally got round to playing the latest build of the game and I just want to say how much I love it... you've now locked off large chunks of the game behind Tungsten & Iron and ... I've got to go find them in a small shuttle with no cargo capacity and a disposable one shot thrusters...

Until you said you loved the wrecks and the feeling of desolation (which I kinda like too), I was 100% convinced you were being facetious.  Everything you listed as "great", I consider a negative...

I get that some people like the idea of astroneer as a "survival sandbox game", but I bought it back when it was an "exploration sandbox game", so I keep hoping the devs will eventually bring some of that back

4 hours ago, Abram Jablonski said:

Until you said you loved the wrecks and the feeling of desolation (which I kinda like too), I was 100% convinced you were being facetious.  Everything you listed as "great", I consider a negative...

I get that some people like the idea of astroneer as a "survival sandbox game", but I bought it back when it was an "exploration sandbox game", so I keep hoping the devs will eventually bring some of that back

This sums up a lot of how I feel, and I know many others feel the same they just have kept silent about it (for whatever reason).

Astroneer wowed me back when I saw it shortly after it’s release on Xbox One as part of Game Preview (Pre-Alpha) and I’ve been playing since (mid-January 2017). I’ve logged tons of hours, TNTC at this point, easily >1000hrs. I loved the excitement portrayed in one of those early trailers watching “Astroneer’s” run, hop, and drive around exotic-looking planets, terraforming to their hearts’ content, using a cool tool that modified things on a whim even adding stuff back so it matched their surroundings (none of this ugly grey crap either). Quite notable for all the fun on display, with none of this hiding in a shelter for what feels like hours on end while some storm passes by, or showing the reality of how laggy it would be in reality having several people actually play together, or having hostile flora spew acid at you resulting in your death because you can’t evade them in time owing to the overly clutter cave tunnel floors now choked almost Astroneer-height with resources, debris, rocket boosters, bodies, more debris, harvestables, more resources, salvageable bits, crashed satellites, oh and did I mention debris, and some stalagmites. Same is true for the spikers (and yet they’ve done a VLOG talking about adding more hostile flora, geez they gotta be kidding right?). Thank god explorers are completely passive but still kind of a pain when digging resources (I always used an Inhibitor before so was nice, but now they’ve gated that, more about that below).

I appreciate their attempts to, as they said, make progression feel “more meaningful.” And the design aspects of this update are incredible. The resources alone for the most part look stunning. The sparkles of terrain, especially at night, and many of the resources give it a unique and alienesque vibe. I really like it. While it’s impossible for me to pick a fave, I really love how quartz turned out. Malachite looks good, and laterite is quite awesome. Clay is rather meh, but in darkness is impressive. Sad they removed coal, not so much as a resource, but it had interesting properties when viewed in light and darkness. The golden appearance of lithium is appealing, but I still prefer the original snowflake white. Titanite and titanium, what can I say I’m not a fan of green. Carbon looks fine I just think it doesn’t make any sense. Sure when you burn organic materials you get “carbon” but here you’d get primarily some ash and soot, not exactly a craftable “resource” lol. i also don’t like how the smelter burns your organic. We’re forced to be dependent on organic generators now (all power crystsls having been removed from the game) at least for a fair bit early on and most of the time for portable power, so when you’re using an organic generator plugged into the smelter directly and want to load extra organic to keep it supplied the smelter goes and burns it! That’s not a good design imho. Organic shouldn’t have been chosen as a “combustible” resource because it serves as a power resource. I understand it’s common, but the flowchart for this process wasn’t thought out so well (module can’t distinguish between organic set aside for power generation vs that set aside for resource conversion). Not going to cover appearances of every resource (thank goodness right?).

I realize they want to go with a somewhat unified theme for certain items (ore blocks are all, well, blocks, and items like carbon, glass, and ceramic are shaped a certain way), but that leaves issues with identification (from a distance at least) for people with visual challenges. I’ve already mentioned this elsewhere so I’m hoping the Devs get the message and will address it as soon as possible. It’s no good leaving this until after launch. Everything I’ve read or seen has said it’s akways cheaper to do before launch, so now is the time to make these changes. Same for issues of minuscule font and things that aren’t legible (or poorly so) in the UI (especially some of the stuff in the catalog). If you play on PC, you probably won’t know what I’m talking about. If you play on Xbox, more than likely you’ll know all too well.

Its more than visual issues though. The game is becoming increasingly reliant on auditory cues. Not good if you have hearing issues or if you’re one of the many players like myself who play with the volume down. I play a lot at night, plus I have some hypersensitivity issues to light and noise (among other things). For example, I’ve had to resort to turning the soundtrack off because (1) when the game enters suffocation notice mode, the audio track includes extremely annoying musical noises that are awkward and don’t seem fitting for such a notification (they’re also very Pavlovian in nature, already had SES associate suffocation with another soundtrack piece in Astroneer so every time I hear it I reflectively look at my O2 meter thinking I’m about to suffocate to death, not fun nor funny actually it’s incredibly annoying despite being “trained” to this response probably over a year ago). People just don’t think about ramifications of what they choose to associate. Anyway, I find game soundtracks annoying after awhile no matter how great, so turning it off isn’t the end of the world. Still, I’d prefer feeling I had some say in the matter, and could turn it back on whenever I’d like. I don’t get that freedom of choice because the sound is irritating. The thumping heartbeat that accompanies the suffocation notice is also extremely heavy on the bass. This may not be noticeable to a lot of PC players (depends on what speaker setup you use of course). I play using a home theater setup. I don’t have a full surround setup currently, just floor stereo speskers. My EQ isn’t set for heavy bass. I’ve never run into problems with booming bass in any other games (and I’ve played many with grand cinematic cut scenes, lots of gunfire and canons, you name it). So I wonder if they don’t need to do some audio checks on those notifications.

I like how there are more audio notifications, don’t get me wrong. However, audio notifications should never be the ONLY notification you should get, and when a notification is a critical one the visual notification that accompanies it should be clear and easy to see, so it’s meaning is instantly received and understood without being confusing and open to interpretation. Players have already mentioned how the new oxygen and power indicators are totally unacceptable. The Devs must fix these before launch. I realize a lot of this may belong in the QoL thread but I believe it still has relevance here as well. Back to sounds though, many have no visual counterpart at all. That’s the main issue. All auditory cues must have a visual one. If it’s an auditory cue for a pumpkin (aka poison pot) it needs a visual cue indicating where it is (below or above, in a wall, whatever) as well as where the acid is tracking towards you. These are basic requirements. This isn’t asking anything overly demanding. The size of the studio doesn’t matter when it comes to making your game playable and enjoyable by all. My hearing is quite good, but half the time (or more) the bell doesn’t go off for my research centers finishing up. That’s not good either.

This game is no longer fun imho. I realize that is subjective, but I do have my reasons. I don’t see the crafting update as providing meaningful progression at all. I see it as artificial gating, which is stupid. There’s a big difference. We would’ve seen (or at least heard) about the story behind Astroneer by now. Seriously where is it? If there isn’t one, this isn’t anything more than a space-based Minecraft. I became interested because of how fun the game looked in that trailer I mentioned. I stuck around because the game was relaxing and chill. But my interest has really only persisted because of the promise of the story (well that and Terrain 2.0). No story, no game.

Profression only means something when there’s a story to give that progression context. Once again this feels bass-ackards. We should’ve received some story elements by now, and after that, some of the crafting elements could’ve been introduced. Don’t think it was wise to put all these changes in at once, too much at one time especially for Xbox where performance has been a major problem for far to long. The newness wore off too quickly and I haven’t even made a Chemistry Lab. I love the Inhibitor, it was always one of my first unlocks. It’s now artificially gated and locked away. It costs a trip to another planet which is the dumbest thing ever, why would I want to bother with that when I need it to clean up my base, unblock a vehicle’s path, and help mine resources essential to developing my primary base? Yeah some will argue I don’t “need” it for those things but that’s how I enjoy playing. SES has a right to develop their game as they see fit, but they do that and people don’t enjoy the game they won’t buy it, won’t give it good reviews, and won’t recomemmd it to their friends. So yes, player opion does matter a lot. Much of this update wasn’t thought though well. Aritifial gating (locking stuff away without context) is just bad. Hope they’ll have some sense and fix a lot of this stuff next update. Too much stuff gated behind zinc and tungsten. Way too much.

Too late to amend my post. Like most people I agree the timed limit is so annoying. Never run into such a thing anywhere else so I can’t imagine this forum is SO special it is required. Whatever...

Was going to say...

The reason I mostly stick to Terran has nothing to do with avoiding travel to other planets or not wanting to make bases on them. I enjoy most planets (Tundra, Exotic, Barren as well). As an Xbox One player, the reason I’ve avoided doing so has always come down to performance issues. Always too laggy by the time I’d travel, and it’s not much different now. The big difference now though is that in order to get essential equipment I’ve used in the last I’m now forced to travel, so naturally I resent that. I think anyone would when performance has never been adequately addressed. Xbox One has essentially been “left behind” in a lot of ways.

2 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

SES has a right to develop their game as they see fit, but they do that and people don’t enjoy the game they won’t buy it, won’t give it good reviews, and won’t recomemmd it to their friends.

This is already happening: I used to recommend astroneer all the time... for almost a year now, I've been telling people to wait, and see if it gets better.

And - from what I've seen - it's not so much that people aren't speaking up, it's that "survival sandbox" people are really emphatic/ forceful/ upset when they say "this is so wrong, how can you have a Hydrazine Condenser, people will never explore!!!".  "Exploration sandbox" people seem to only push back when it's something they can't work around/ deal with, and seem more likely to just be disappointed, but hopeful that SES will fix it in the future.

Mostly, though, it seems like SES can't decide what they want astroneer to be, and are throwing stuff out there to find out what sticks, and reacting to the squeakiest wheels.  A few examples:

• Terrain as a resource?  The Mineral Extractor is kinda interesting, but not sure it's a strong enough argument for nerfing something that was, up until that point, pretty much the main feature of the game
  • Trade Platforms?  Lots of yelling and screaming about trade values and minutiae, and just as much thrashing/nerfing from the devs
  • Mobile bases?  AWESOME but... now you need to pretty much fully build-out your non-mobile base, before you can get to the point where you can create a mobile base, and having more modules means you can't really have a fully-functional mobile base
  • Scrap?  Did anyone ever think that was a good idea, or was it just the devs misinterpreting posts?  I heard lots of people saying "let us scrap stuff we don't want", but instead of "decomposing" unwanted modules back into resources, it turned into some kind of currency?
  • "We're going to make people explore by making the game more grindy"?  That's not exploring, it's gathering resources...  Encourage us to explore, by putting interesting stuff out there for us to find...
Edited by Abram Jablonski

So I had this great setup with a crashed solar panel and was bringing in power with a bunch of extenders. Suddenly the other day when I got into the game that crashed solar panel was gone. Just gone into thin air. All those extenders now lead to......nothing. Never had something just disappear on me like that.

The new update to Astroneer is awesome and if the system era team fixes bugs and glitches, it might only be me or if anyone else experienced this, but every time a tether is placed or picked up the whole freezes for like 10 seconds.... every time.    ??

I agree with Shadow Echo and Abram Jablonski. For me, Terrain As Resource (TAR) totally killed the run-and-gun terrain modifying fun of the game prior. I understand what the devs want to do with it, and have adjusted to it. However, it did kill much of the fun I initially had.

Many of the changes seem to be more of a punishment or fun-killer for no apparent reason. Why are vehicle batteries nerfed into the ground to be nearly useless? Why do vehicles not have a built-in beacon now? Why do we need to dedicate one of the only two slots on the Buggy to a beacon when it clearly should be used for another battery or energy generation device? Why can't we leave terrain tool modifiers attached to it and simply enable or disable them? Instead, we must take up space in the backpack and swap them in/out when needed. Now we must dedicate at least one slot to a canister if we want to add terrain.

WHY are objects still falling through the ground? Using the Flatten setting, I expanded my base over a dropoff. When I load the game, objects fall through the terrain I added into the open area below. This has happened with vehicles and items sitting on the surface. WHY is this still happening?!!!

WHY are shuttles still landing on top of other vehicles, especially when another unoccupied vehicle platform is available? I could not extricate the vehicle from the shuttle. Finally, I took off in the shuttle and the vehicle fell as the shuttle ascended. After I landed back at my base, I saw the vehicle FLOATING IN THE AIR above my base. WHY IS THIS STILL NOT FIXED?!!!

I really like the premise and art style of Astroneer. I also really like the dev team and want the game to be a huge success. Having said that, I have serious doubts about the game being ready for the December release. Too many games these days are launching in an unready, buggy state and killing their potential for success. Only a few have managed to rehabilitate their bad initial impression enough to grow their customer base. You only get ONE CHANCE to make a first impression. Please do not squander it.

On 10/2/2018 at 12:57 PM, JimBearUSA said:

I agree with Shadow Echo and Abram Jablonski. For me, Terrain As Resource (TAR) totally killed the run-and-gun terrain modifying fun of the game prior. I understand what the devs want to do with it, and have adjusted to it. However, it did kill much of the fun I initially had.......

Not sure I'd agree with "killed" but there are so many ideas that could have made this somewhat better on some level.  I caught a mid development idea that I would like to have seen.  There was a device you'd put on top of the small steam vents that would have produced energy.  That would have been nice.

Also, drilling for resources would have made a little more sence.  A small or medium or even large drilling device for resource just makes more of a great idea to me.

5 hours ago, Nargg said:

There was a device you'd put on top of the small steam vents that would have produced energy.  That would have been nice.

It didn't work well in the current game, but rumour has it geothermal will be making a comeback after terrain 2.0 brings a new kind of vent! 

Variable soil density will probably mean drills will get used a bit more too. 

OK, haven't played in a week or so, and a small update seems to have trickled down.  Revamped a lot of recipes and other small tweaks.  Most of them really good.  Except one...

Tungsten is now required for the Chem lab.  And you need the Chem lab in order to build either of the shuttles to get to other planets.  So how are you supposed to get a material from another planet if you can't build the transport to another planet???   Funny, but really killed a great map I was working on.   Oh well...

11 minutes ago, Nargg said:

OK, haven't played in a week or so, and a small update seems to have trickled down.  Revamped a lot of recipes and other small tweaks.  Most of them really good.  Except one...

Tungsten is now required for the Chem lab.  And you need the Chem lab in order to build either of the shuttles to get to other planets.  So how are you supposed to get a material from another planet if you can't build the transport to another planet???   Funny, but really killed a great map I was working on.   Oh well...

OK, duh, I missed the small shuttle.  Too focused on the larger two.  Oh well, love the changes anyway.

as a game like Astroneer evolves, it moves away from it's initial player fan base. no-one will like everything they do, and many will bemoan the loss of their own preferred method of playing. i give the devs  credit for sticking with their plans and staying firm to their course, whilst still trying to respect their player's commitment to this still evolving game.

that said.....

recent updates have seen the emphasis on a more directed, more survival-oriented game that actively forces it's players into particular activities and actions. many early adopters loved the more free form, non-linear sandbox quality of the game. their reason for playing was because of a love of discovery, of exploration, and to them an ideal upgrade path would have seen progressively more things to discover and interact with. instead they have seen a direction of play that is far more 'stick' than 'carrot', that takes play and turns it into busy work, and the limitless possibilities that the early worlds promised has yet to emerge. for all it's beauty and cleverness, it is a game that is out of balance.

the devs need to acknowledge this. in this game, players should do the things we must do in order to do the things we wish to do. currently, the list of things we must do seems to greatly exceed the things we wish to do. there must be a purpose beyond a continued existence, or the game will fail.

where o where is my great discovery?

3 hours ago, djdkdance said:

why not do two game modes like No Man's Sky, a story mode and a free mode?

I agree, that would be a very smart way to please both crowds.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:27 PM, Bron said:

[...]

where o where is my great discovery?

My hope is that late game content is released with the final version. This would make a lot a sense since you don't want to spoiler the content while game mechanics aren't finalized. Let's hope there is a good amount of late game content since right now there is pretty much nothing you can do with all the nice tools you craft for yourself.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, Bron said:

i give the devs  credit for sticking with their plans and staying firm to their course

I agree with everything you said, regarding the initial fanbase and the direction the game is headed, except this... I feel like the devs have been more responsive/reactive (to what the squeakiest wheels say about what the game should be).

As for Free Play, I think something other than "all or nothing" modes would be better... Personally, I want a game that encourages and rewards exploring, rather than one that tries to force it... That being said an options menu (especially about the most contentious items) would be a lot closer to giving everyone what they want:

• Unlimited output from the Terrain Tool: on / off
  • Unlocked tech: minimal / some / more / all
  • Scrap: on / off (if off, then Shredders return some resources, rather than scrap)
  • Hydrazine Catalyzer (or similar): on / off
  • Limit Resources to certain planets: on / off
  • Limit blueprints to certain planets: on / off
  • Certain blueprints only available via exploration: on / off

Just looking at it, that sounds like a lot of complexity, but all of them would be straightforward to implement: change the list / weight of available resources when generating terrain; or remove blueprints from the catalog; or check/don't check whether there's a canister on the terrain tool; or add a check to the Shredder logic to decide what it outputs.  

Stuff I'd also like to see (just to be squeaky):

• Research wrecked stuff to unlock blueprints
  • Follow-on research to "upgrade" components: solar panels that generate more power, faster smelters or research chambers (etc.)
  • Research that upgrades your suit, before you can visit other planets

The idea of a game excellent, but it already became obsolete. Well though did not spend money for purchase of this masterpiece.