Asgard

Planet Effects/storms

Electromagnetic Planet

A planet with a strong electromagnetic presence.  All power needs are multiplied by 2 because of the electrical interference.

Lightning Storm

Electricity flies and buzzes around with random lightning strikes.  If lightning hits a platform with connectors, it has the potential to "burn out" a connector.  If a battery is attached, has the potential to channel energy into the battery instead of destroying a connector.  

Dampening Field/Storm

All power is drained from batteries/backpack and all devices cease working for the duration ( including terrain tool/solars/wind/generators).

Ice Storm

Shards of ice fall from the sky, vehicles experience slip and traction reach near zero in storms

Meteor Shower

Meteors fall from the sky and leave small craters with random resources

New Tech

Storm Sensors

Audible notification informs of the impending storm.  Identifies current direction and type on display screen of module.

Lightning Rod

Directs lightning to a specific area, don't use without a battery!

These are just a few ideas, I would certainly hope it would be expanded and grow to other types of storms and planetary effects based on the planet you are on, with some being more favorable while other increase the difficulty tremendously.  Of course, maybe cut back on the frequency of storms just a bit and expand their duration in other cases.  

I would appreciate any new type of natural disasters/weather in the game, survival is quite plain at the moment.
However. I think that adding these would take some effort as even the current storms, that have been in the game for a long time, are very buggy.

Edited by Whoophuam

if anything I love your idea about the electrical storm and how it would effect the platforms I also think it would have a funny animation if your astroneer was struck my lightning. the lightning rod is also something I wish they would add for more power variety

7 hours ago, Whoophuam said:

I would appreciate any new type of natural disasters/weather in the game, survival is quite plain at the moment.
However. I think that adding these would take some effort as even the current storms, that have been in the game for a long time, are very buggy.

I would hope that they have the storms on their radar and are making adjustments or have already made adjustments that just haven't shipped yet.  I think we both know that any dev project, you can get sidetracked and start working on other/more important parts of the game.  I believe they said they were more concerned with laying the framework to allow for easy additions for future content.  

Regardless, storm effects such as this should be fairly simple in scripting terms as they already have the base code to work from.  Objects in a radius are affected, specific instructions are sent to specific objects.  It should be just a matter of creating the specific effects and applying the appropriate action defined by the specified storm script.  

On the other hand, I don't know how they have anything structured and this could very well be 100x more difficult to do.