SES_joe

SES Vlog 031 - New Planet, Plants, & Sphalerite!

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Huge difference. 

Please enlighten me. I've been playing just fine and not felt the need to create my own story. And even having no story I've had.. am still having quite the adventure. Regardless... Story added or not.. I just hope they leave us a format so I can continue to play the game in it's same state.. just with the added stuff and things. 3 modes (creative, story driven, and survival crafting [no story just exploring crafting and gathering])

20 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Without a story, the game is just one tedious chore after another...

Truth... But with a story.... Your still gathering stuff and things to craft stuff and things to build.......you guessed it... Stuff and things.... Stories just give you way points and lots of dialogue boxes to click through... In the end it's all gathering stuff and things.. (Minecraft, dayz, ark, age of conan, factorio, space engineers ... The list is pretty much endless now.. it's not a bad thing it's just survival games. I just don't need a story because of how well these devs have gone about presenting the idea of gathering stuff and things.

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Every game? Are you sure about that? 
I'm guessing that Paradox titles are not in your repertoire then

Dude lol ... This is when I just found I was feed a troll... I love me some paradox games... But you can't even compair. grand strategy and 4x games to survival crafting... And yes even strategy games repeat themselves.... Gather stuff to build stuff to make armies to break stuff..

1 hour ago, Cattasraafe said:

Dude lol ... This is when I just found I was feed a troll... I love me some paradox games... But you can't even compair. grand strategy and 4x games to survival crafting... And yes even strategy games repeat themselves.... Gather stuff to build stuff to make armies to break stuff..

I wasn't comparing grand strategy and 4x games to survival crafting. I was comparing Paradox games to a statement that was posted. Nothing more. 

33 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I wasn't comparing grand strategy and 4x games to survival crafting. I was comparing Paradox games to a statement that was posted. Nothing more. 

Didn't Paradox make nothing but strategy games tho...?

3 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Didn't Paradox make nothing but strategy games tho...?

That oddly enough had endings and repetitive gameplay and rts skrimishes that didn't always use story.

saw this thread and just had to wade in here, like the big blundering lummox that i am.

I've long been an advocate of story in this game, and have said as much in many threads across this forum. for me, the process of repetitive grinding is really hampering what it at it's core is a beautiful and occasionally mesmerizing game. some kind of additional meaning has to be introduced to prevent the vast slew of customers from playing for 20 odd hours, then putting it away for good.

however, i'm not here to suggest that some kind of mission based linear story form would work in Astroneer. i absolutely believe that would be the wrong way to go. this game needs mystery, intrigue, discovery and occasional revelation, a backstory worthy of the considerable charm and beauty of the game. it doesn't need to take you by the hand and lead you through a series of missions that draw you, like an ascending staircase, to some ultimate goal. it needs a delicate touch, and a fully realized and firm grip on the world you are privileged to explore. the choice of actions, though suggested by explorations and discoveries, should always be the players own, and the endgame, as such, should be determined by what the player decides is their ultimate goal.

that's quite different from where the game is now. at the moment, there are no mysteries to be discovered, no variations to explore, and no choices for the player regarding any ultimate goal. i believe those things will be the most significant changes when the game finally becomes a retail release, and i look forward to that day.

until then, we pre-release game testers must be content with playing with the cute toys and working the game mechanics. And enjoying the view, which is still, occasionally, startlingly lovely.

I like the concept of open story, basically know who we are, where did we come from, why are we here, what are the main goals, the possibility of choosing a specialization path like engineer, scientists etc etc

The discovery of alien forms, alien culture, wrecks of ancient civilizations, etc, an open story starting from the basic knowledge of who are we.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:37 PM, Bron said:

saw this thread and just had to wade in here, like the big blundering lummox that i am.

There was to much to quote in that last post. I could deal with a simple enough background story like ARK does... A story that allows for some kind of progression but is also easy enough to ignore. Even if they do add a story like that I still hope they keep the current state of things as an option. For a person like me story or no story I can't help but know that games like this are based of massive amounts of repetition. 

7 hours ago, Titico7777 said:

the possibility of choosing a specialization path like engineer, scientists etc etc

Also options like this would ruin the game for me. In a story mode I could see classes being fine as it opens avenues of different game play experiences. For me though it would be limiting and just frustrating.

At the end of it all for a person like me I think story would ruin this games fun for me because there is no way to dull down the endless grind of resource collection, refining, and crafting. That's just part of what the game is.  Games like this are only limited to a users imagination, also having friends to join you helps make it fun as well.

The possibility, not an obligation, a choice if you want to do it or not, it is your game path for you to decide. Just want to be an explorer fine, want to be and explorer who likes science fine, want to be a scientist who likes exploring fine. All the choices need to be interconnected.

Some more VLOGs would be so cool, even if not too much new things can be broadcasted. But to see they are alive and maybe to answer some of the forum-community questions? I cannot follow 3 different social media things.

10 hours ago, reto said:

Some more VLOGs would be so cool, even if not too much new things can be broadcasted. But to see they are alive and maybe to answer some of the forum-community questions? I cannot follow 3 different social media things.

There will be a vlog next week, for sure. 

I'm hoping that means we'll have an update the week after! 

On 10/5/2018 at 10:14 PM, Blind Io said:

There will be a vlog next week, for sure. 

I'm hoping that means we'll have an update the week after! 

wait, what?! Where is that coming from? I assumed we were to resign any further update to launch....

On 10/5/2018 at 11:24 AM, reto said:

honestly, I would love weekly Vlogs from these guys, even off days that are quiet. I want to get to know the Devs!!

6 hours ago, sonofpern said:

wait, what?! Where is that coming from? I assumed we were to resign any further update to launch....

Why? Updates are most often in the middle of the month. 

At any rate, the vlog will be ready within 24hrs and will have more details. Joe's popped into the Discord to keep us updated. 

3 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Why? Updates are most often in the middle of the month. 

At any rate, the vlog will be ready within 24hrs and will have more details. Joe's popped into the Discord to keep us updated. 

neat, there was just a streak of them on the 6th of the month, but I'm good either way. I get stupid excited for the updates and i just started collecting broken habitats and spaceships so I'm busy haha

19 hours ago, sonofpern said:

honestly, I would love weekly Vlogs from these guys, even off days that are quiet. I want to get to know the Devs!!

Other devs do weekly/bi-weekly streams to talk about the current state of their games, any upcoming content, or to address any concerns from the community. Some even stream themselves playing their own games just for the fun of it...