I guess SES wants their community to do their jobs for them. Nobody over there has even bothered to create a single post about the video here on their own forums, and it was released YESTERDAY...

So anyways, here it is: SES Vlog 031. RIP mineral extractor and hydrazine catalyzer...

Edited by vvhorus

Mineral extractor is getting a change that we have asked for though. Only extracting the common minerals on the planet you are on and possibly reducing the amount of resources gained so exploration becomes necessary to gather rare resources and even common resources. I have been guilty of slapping 4 canisters of soil on the extractor to get 8 compound many many times. Even carry a medium storage full of canisters every time I go out just to bring back soil.

The science lab looks pretty neat. Being able to create rubber from resin and compound I think for example...but what for? Are we going to build tires for the rover or create custom vehicles? or do we need to build these vehicles part by part? That sounds really interesting.

I like getting different gases from the atmosphere as well depending on the planet you are on.

So maybe someone can decipher the "thing" they don't want to talk about but listen to the end of the VLOG...the last 10 seconds. When he says "stop talking about the  "SNA...". Snake? 

I've just watched the vlog, and I'm curious to know if the next update will be mostly resource related, or if there will be some other things added, such as some new decorative items/buildings.

Honestly I do not know what the developers imagine this game will be in the end, but I hope there will be more than just endless resource hunting and crafting. I've bought 2 copies of this game, and am playing it with my son in online co-op. Though it has been quite fun so far, and sometimes a little frustrating, I'm worried that soon we'll reach the point that we've unlocked everything and the only thing left to do is grind for more resources and that's it.

I'd love to see some more cosmetic items, to be able to build a bigger base, or see some elements of a meta-game. A story.

4 hours ago, Wary Explorer said:

Mineral extractor is getting a change that we have asked for though.

I feel both sad and glad about the change to the mineral extractor, but I welcome it. It was getting too easy to build 8 canisters and farm soil to get hematite and laterite.

Now that we will need to explore more to gather resources, I hope that terrain 2.0 will improve how rovers drive over the new terrain. Getting stuck on a rock every 2-3 seconds gets annoying pretty fast.

I found Samantha's segment of the vlog to be very interesting. I'm glad they're doing a balance pass. IMHO, I think they need to bring the research costs of all vehicles way down to promote more interplanetary exploration.

The in-game's UI is looking more polished. Thumbs up...

A little more backstory to the new "gas station" (RIP condenser) would have brought a bit more context to its future functionality. Why do we need gas?

The science station (RIP catalyzer) looks good. Also, more details to its future functionality would have been helpful.

I wish I could watch youtube videos (or any videos of any kind) while at work! Must be nice...

51 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I saw this video Monday on the you tube! I did not tell anyone just like SES.  I just took it as a ? to this community from SES.

Even though they're paying good money to keep the forum up, they probably see this as a passé way of communication. That's probably why they don't prioritize it. They have 24-7 access to their community right here, yet they choose not to use this powerful marketing tool. I don't know if more users check the Discord server vs the forums, but I would think not. I'm just surprised at the seemingly lack of interest or motivation to engage us here...

The Discord server had over 2000 messages posted on Tuesday. It gets a little busy on the weekends. There's over 7000 members, with an active poster group of around 100 (I'm guessing). There's definitely a lot more going on there than here!

I still agree it doesn't make sense to have the game refer players here, then to engage here so little. 

13 hours ago, Blind Io said:

The Discord server had over 2000 messages posted on Tuesday

I saw. Had to scroll two days' worth of messages to find one single post.

That's my main problem with Discord. The information is disorganized and scattered. It's just a bunch of chat rooms, the new mIRC, as I call it. Unless you're actually there in the chat to read the info at the time it's told and then relayed elsewhere, nobody would know what goes on or what's being said. If you try to find something, it's just endless scrolling. And most posts are just Zelly (great guy, love his creativity) talking with his crew or random conversations, anyways. Plus Discord requires free time. I can't hang out on Discord all day waiting for something to be said, but I can quickly check the forums for announcements and news once every so often...

My only problem with the discord is the moderators, seems everything I say is slightly out of whack with whatever channel I'm in and all I ever see is X mod says "post that elsewhere" The discord system is tho as said just another mirc, would be handy if you could track all the active forums at the same time, still I prefer post/thread forums to chatrooms.  Gives you time to think before you insult someone.. by 'accident'.

19 minutes ago, Martin said:

My only problem with the discord is the moderators, seems everything I say is slightly out of whack with whatever channel I'm in and all I ever see is X mod says "post that elsewhere" The discord system is tho as said just another mirc, would be handy if you could track all the active forums at the same time, still I prefer post/thread forums to chatrooms.  Gives you time to think before you insult someone.. by 'accident'.

I was scrolling through the discord chat last night and apparently some user got muted for pinging one of the devs. If they can't even be bothered to answer a question or be mentioned in a conversation, then they shouldn't even be there in the first place, worse yet with their user names on display for all to see...

Yeh I sometimes wonder if the "idea of having a discord channel" isn't just some sort of advertising campaign to "look like we care" by developers.  I've seen some discords where the coders and designers are talking in chat for like 8-10 hours a day, whilst working themselves, talking shop and in general and others where they're just names on a board, where they rarely interact if ever.  SES started off very vocal and interactive, but lately, they've taken to the backstage almost with exception to the one guy whose job it is to build community relations.. who in turn has been "so busy" at pax, gamecons etc that he doesn't really interact with the community at all, outside of well meaning promises.

But we can wait and see, maybe we'll get a Fallout 76 like Bethesda performance, where they sit down and actively answer all questions honestly or we'll see a No Man's Sky performance, where we see 1 guy spout nonsense about a game in theory more than one in design.

I am now honestly expecting to see fractions applied to patch notes.. we'll start to see 9.2.1 then 9.3.0.0.1 then 9.4.0.0.0.0.1.0.7.3 as version numbers. There is still a huge chunk of game to be added in missions etc terrain, modules, vehicles, story..

Edited by Martin
3 hours ago, Martin said:

I am now honestly expecting to see fractions applied to patch notes.. we'll start to see 9.2.1 then 9.3.0.0.1 then 9.4.0.0.0.0.1.0.7.3 as version numbers. There is still a huge chunk of game to be added in missions etc terrain, modules, vehicles, story..

I'm fairly sure that if the next update isn't 0.10.0.0, terrain 2.0 will be. 

Edited by Blind Io
13 hours ago, Martin said:

Next should be 1.0.0.0 ie release version.  But I suspect we might see versions 10, 11, 12 and so on.

There's no reason the next one "should" be 1.0 - were dealing with version numbers, not decimal counting. Please trust me they've confirmed 0.10 etc will follow 0.9.

Usually version numbers in pre release only follow single digits and so far this has been the case.  But my main point is there still seems to be a long way before 1.0.

With the devs confirming that they will be releasing patches before 1.0 (Terrain 2.0, Resources, Research Catalogue and Fuel Condenser, and generally stuff in SES Vlog 31) I think that it is unlikely that we will see a version that isn't 0.10 and above before 1.0.

Edited by Whoophuam

Of course they can extend to the right forever, but logically, the devs wouldn't want a 0.9.4.7 would they?
A Simple 0.10 or 0.10.4 looks better.

And by saying that there still seems to be a long way before 1.0, it seems contradictory.

But it honestly does not matter what they put, as long as it's a good patch and they actually post the patch notes on the forum

Edited by Whoophuam
On 8/22/2018 at 6:53 PM, Blind Io said:

The Discord server had over 2000 messages posted on Tuesday. It gets a little busy on the weekends. There's over 7000 members, with an active poster group of around 100 (I'm guessing). There's definitely a lot more going on there than here!

But could that be because the devs choose to go there and not here? If devs were here and responded here, posted here wouldn't more people be here? A junkie will follow the supply no?

12 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

But could that be because the devs choose to go there and not here? If devs were here and responded here, posted here wouldn't more people be here? A junkie will follow the supply no?

I agree with this.
Currently, there is only a small incentive to come and post on the forums as the game tells you to come here. However, with more devs actively being here and answering people's questions, there will be more people interested in having discussions on here than on the Discord. In essence, people care more about the game and it's progress than where they can discuss those matters.