Oh it's daytime? Time for a storm.

Maybe not only a refactor, but research-able suit upgrades to mitigate them even further in late game.

I don't see storms as something that needs to bother advanced play. Highly developed saves can just have bases relocated underground. Something so easily circumvented should just be curtailed. Understandably, the storms are there at fist to provide a challenge to tether bound Astroneers, and to force them underground to explore, but later it isn't necessary.

It's on the Trello, so we'll all just have to see what the fix is gonna be. 

Edited by Wedge
4 hours ago, Gren said:

Add me to team 'this isn't a fun mechanic'. I mean I like them visually but they should be harmless or negatable somehow. It's not fun just sitting staring at whatever I've had to hide in for five minutes.

You can already negate them.

Build a wall/ceiling around your base.

Build underground.

I have to say there’s little difference between ignoring and prioritizing other things when most want storms (as they currently exist) gone or at least an option to turn them off (or slider perhaps to dial frequency up or down, including to zero), I’d be happy with the slider if the chose that, as long as it went to zero. If they don’t include this, there will be mods developed that do, but playing on Xbox One I doubt those mods will be developed for console given how small a studio SES is (there are a few games that support mods on console right now, the only ones I’m familiar with are Bethesda titles but there may be more). Bethesda is a huge studio so they can make it work (for the most part) and I’ve enjoyed being able to use mods for the first time in Skyrim SE. I’m sure some who still cling to the notion of “PCMR” would try to argue “just switch to PC” but that’s not only not feasible for me, I have no interest in doing so (console play is just fine, and it’s much more comfortable with my back pain).

The storms are just a symptom of the overall neglect of serious performance issues on Xbox when it comes to Astroneer. Enough hasn’t been said about it because there aren’t that many console players who come here and speak up about it. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, hasn’t been a major issue since the beginning (the forum is full of threads and posts about it, one only has to search, well if you can stand using the forum search function and wading through all the results that is) because it has. I don’t blame console players for not bothering with this forum. A lot of players here act like the game is designed solely for PC, and it comes across as very offputing. No one cares about PCMR anymore. In this age of tech people should play on whatever they find enjoyable, and no one should judge them for it. There’s no wrong choice, no lesser choice. I certainly don’t care what PC players think, let them pay huge chunks of money upgrading bits here as there. Soon there won’t even be consoles as we think of them, could all be in the cloud for all we know. We may just access some Echo or other assistant-type portal and stuff automatically goes to some holo-interface we don’t really know. It’s likely our gaming experiences will become more cohesive either way. These notions of this platform vs another are archaic and self-defeating. We should be focused on improving the experience for all gamers, not squabbling amongst ourselves. Some people are just jerks though. Tolerance is the way to go.

Anyway, back to performance. Storms are awful for performance. Been saying this, preaching feels like, for ages it seems. I know they’re a small studio and can’t do everything at once, but doesn’t mean a lot of players have felt a fair bit of Alpha has been squandered. Many updates have felt less than meaningful. I know I saw a VLOG where (not sure how he spells his name) Reilly (the engineering guy, awesome fellow) talked about performance and optimization and how when new updates are issued it’s not feasible to optimize them 100% when releasing them especially for new content. You could he said, but that would be a monumental waste of resources for updated content that is likely going to change, some may not remain in the game, etc. This makes complete sense, and it’s this sort of explanation of how stuff works in the development process that’s incredibly helpful for someone like me (who really doesn’t know much about it, but I’ve been learning). Still, as most players know, there are big differences between high end PC and an Xbox when it comes to performance and I feel they’ve really let things slide for the console player. That’s inexcusable. They’ve announced a few (precious few imho) performance passes and while things got a bit better in the past, every update since that has added stuff has completely obliterated any improvements there were. The game lags more now (for things like when stuff like a storm loads in, even one I can’t see or hear because it’s farther away or perhaps even underground, I won’t even address how totally absurd that is) than it did 3, even 6 months ago. That just defies logic. They should be working on performance upgrades all along same as they work on content. I’m not taking about optimizing the update contents, I’m talking about continually optimizing, improving overall performance with each update. Maybe there’s something fundamental I’m missing, something I don’t understand, but this seems like a no brained to me. If performance isn’t a high priority, we’ll I can’t imagine the game being any good at release. Can’t imagine Terrain 2.0 being playable on Xbox One when we manage to see it (someday). And with no story whatsoever, things are looking grim.

So yes, it does feel they’re ignoring the problem. We’ve also discussed how they don’t communicate here as well. If they did, we wouldn’t have need for all this speculation about what they’re doing, not doing, ignoring and prioritizing. At least I know you agree with me on that Io. They’ve brought the communication issue on themselves imho.

11 hours ago, Martin said:

Build underground.

That’s not negating them for Xbox players. Iirc you play on PC. For those who play on Xbox, there are serious performance issues.

The degradation of FPS is profound. It’s not too bad in a fresh save, but the slowing of using anything around your base (even underground, which having storm effects at all there is dumb) make the whole experience horrible. It’s wasted time. That’s why many just leave the game, or try to play on Barren. The longer you play, the longer the storms last and the more frequent they tend to come. I’ve seen storms last in excess of 5 minutes. It can take 10 seconds or more for a hold X or Y action to complete. Same for printing from the backpack. That’s ridiculous and if they wanted to make storms work they should’ve fixed them long before now. They’re not an interesting weather mechanic anyway (imho) but that’s beside the point. Most PC players don’t have any idea just how bad storms are on console and how much they break the experience. I don’t see performance improvements overall being the solution either. As another player posted, we shouldn’t need to build walls or hide. The game is beautiful. Those things defeat the purpose of playing. Also, allowing to do more from our hab won’t work for Xbox that’s likely to worsen the performance issues not improve our experience. I think a slider option in the menu allowing us to adjust storm frequency (including down to zero) is the best way to go if some want storms left in. Everyone wins.

Edited by Shadow Echo
On 9/24/2018 at 8:18 AM, Martin said:

Build underground.

Or go to Barren. No storms whatsoever...

12 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Or go to Barren. No storms whatsoever...

Yeah, Barren seems to be the meta for research and avoiding storms.

1 hour ago, Wedge said:

Yeah, Barren seems to be the meta for research and avoiding storms.

Absolutely. I spend more time on Barren than Terran. It is the perfect jump & resupply point to go to other planets. As soon as I have the opportunity to leave Terran for Barren, I do, and rarely return.

1. No storms.
  2. Faster day/night cycle (nights on Terran seem endless).
  3. Plenty of everything you need to build a base, plus zinc and lithium to make medium batteries.
  4. Terrain is excellent to drive on, none of that sticking on rocks issue.
4 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Absolutely. I spend more time on Barren than Terran. It is the perfect jump & resupply point to go to other planets. As soon as I have the opportunity to leave Terran for Barren, I do, and rarely return.

1. No storms.
  2. Faster day/night cycle (nights on Terran seem endless).
  3. Plenty of everything you need to build a base, plus zinc and lithium to make medium batteries.
  4. Terrain is excellent to drive on, none of that sticking on rocks issue.

1. Then this 2360 game using 1960's tech would just make no sense!
2. Daylight is overrated!
3. Good thing we don't land there first! I'd surely miss all the posts about storms!
4. Which is why I love not having the inhibitor mod when I first land on Terran! Driving is overrated! 

24 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Driving is overrated! 

Actually, I have found myself driving much less in this 0.10 update. I used to make a large rover fairly early in the game and drive it everywhere. Now I just make a large platform, dig myself a cave entrance next to the base, and in I go. More efficient for me this way. I may end up building a rover or two, but they lay mostly parked and unused...

24 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

1. Then this 2360 game using 1960's tech would just make no sense!

Are you certain it's the year 2360? I would have sworn it was at least the 1980's. Controls still use push buttons...

Something I forgot to mention in my previous post: traveling to Barren gives me more of a feel of being in a real space exploration game. Terran has the feel of an updated Farmville ...

Edited by vvhorus

I wonder why they added in the visible wind wispy things? Is this part of the beginning stage of work on wind they’re planning in doing? Like many things, there wasn’t any mention of it in the Patch Notes (quite frustrating). If it was discussed on Discord, it really should be referenced here as well. Gets old hearing “oh well they talked about it a bit on Discord” so who cares? They should be talking about here first. If that’s the way they want to play at it, Joe should write up some summaries of the discussions from Discord and post them on the forums. That way everyone can be on the same page. Haven’t seen anything like happen though. Guess we’re supposed to be psychic...

On a separate note, stuff still just falls through the ground on a regular basis. Vehicles still just disappear (mostly into caves below). These are things that shouldn’t happen in 1.0 release version of a game. Anyone think these major bugs will be fixed? What about filters, now that we all rely on them? Think those will be fixed too? For the better part of the last 2 years many of us fans have chosen to protect the Devs from criticism (including myself for a fair bit of time) thinking hey, it’s Pre-Alpha, or Alpha, they’ve got time to work stuff out, this isn’t the time to be nitpicking on this and that, they’re working on core stuff etc. Well that time has come and gone. They’ve spent that time. Now the game needs polish and needs it badly. It’s a mess in so many ways. They should already be done with all core stuff, not introducing new and drastic overhauls. We should’ve already seen the storyline, Terrain 2.0, and dedicated servers. It should be about tidying up, finishing touches now, a “beta” period. Not sure how others feel but most players I know don’t have much faith this game will be anything remotely resembling a “finished game.” I can’t say I do either. I still love it, but it’s a mess and don’t see it coming together in just 2 months. I’d love to be proven wrong of course, but they’ve put off too much. Too many core items left to stick in, those will have bugs and balancing issues not to mention problems with performance and optimization, the lighting is a major issue on Xbox One as well as the UI, anyone can see the QoL thread mentions so much more than “simple items” up for adjustment at their leisure. A lot of things mentioned are impediments to gameplay. This sort of thread should have been ongoing (as well as work to remedy topics of discussion). Size of a studio doesn’t alter the schedule or deadlines.

The game, at least for Xbox, just isn’t stable. I’ve played a fair bit of the update, but not much of the new stuff it’s not worth the trouble imho. I did visit Barren last night, my 2nd game this update in which I’ve done so. There’s no sense of progression for me, it’s jusr a bunch of senseless gating imho. By the time I got there, my game was struggling so hard to save I prayed each time it wouldn’t crash. I was literally shocked when each time it didn’t (well I’m pretty sure it did eventually, I rarely quit on purpose unless it’s due to a storm). Almost always the game ends up crashing, causing me to quit. That’s extremely sad for a game this close to release. I certainly wouldn’t buy it that’s for sure, not if I knew ahead of time this is how it behaved. I’ve never known a game to be this unreliable (actually it’s very reliable, in terms of crashing). I accepted it as part of a game in Pre-Alpha, and Alpha as well, because  they were changing so much and had a long way to go until they were done. I figured based on their progress the game would release end of 2019. I still believe that’s how long it would take SES to do this game right, to be truly finished with it, and get it polished and up to snuff. They’re not going to take the time to do that though, and I find myself agreeing with those who believe it’ll end up in a perpetual dev cycle hell. I hope not, but I fear that’s what will happen. People will play this game, see how much it fails to measure up and what a mess it is, and I think they’ll drop it just like they did the Pre-Alpha. Most people aren’t patient beings. They want a game to run perfectly, and it should run that way at release. Some games have become infamous for not doing so over the last few years, and they’ve paid the price. Just don’t want to see Astroneer become one of them, it can’t afford too because it’s not a AAA title to being with. It needs to be incredible. Don’t think being an incredibly buggy mess is going to work out though :/ 

Sorry, guess this didn’t have anything to do with storms after all. Think we’ve covered most of what can be said about those anyway. Still hoping for an option to turn them off. If you haven’t experienced them on console, especially after playing for 1-2 hours, you don’t really understand how bad they really are and how adversely they affect gameplay. I’m pretty certain the Devs don’t play on console (Xbox with an actual widescreen TV; using a gamepad with a monitor isn’t remotely the same experience). Even if one of them tried playing occasionally on console, there’s no way I’d believe they play on console for hours. You need to play on console to understand console play, to do a great job designing for it. You have to know your audience in other words. Having one or two people go test a few things on occasion doesn’t cut it. One wonders if they even do proper testing. Just looking at a comparison between lighting balance on console vs PC is enough to leave anyone highly skeptical imho.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:52 AM, Shadow Echo said:

That’s not negating them for Xbox players. Iirc you play on PC. For those who play on Xbox, there are serious performance issues.

The degradation of FPS is profound. It’s not too bad in a fresh save, but the slowing of using anything around your base (even underground, which having storm effects at all there is dumb) make the whole experience horrible. It’s wasted time. That’s why many just leave the game, or try to play on Barren. The longer you play, the longer the storms last and the more frequent they tend to come. I’ve seen storms last in excess of 5 minutes. It can take 10 seconds or more for a hold X or Y action to complete. Same for printing from the backpack. That’s ridiculous and if they wanted to make storms work they should’ve fixed them long before now. They’re not an interesting weather mechanic anyway (imho) but that’s beside the point. Most PC players don’t have any idea just how bad storms are on console and how much they break the experience. I don’t see performance improvements overall being the solution either. As another player posted, we shouldn’t need to build walls or hide. The game is beautiful. Those things defeat the purpose of playing. Also, allowing to do more from our hab won’t work for Xbox that’s likely to worsen the performance issues not improve our experience. I think a slider option in the menu allowing us to adjust storm frequency (including down to zero) is the best way to go if some want storms left in. Everyone wins.

Sounds like netcode issues than the game in general.  Or maybe console issues, I don't use consoles much, never liked using a low powered system with fiddly controls.  Both xbox and ps controllers are tiny for me. 

The storms lasting longer or occuring more often, is a known mp bug though.  So not game design and therefore not really important.  If it happens in sp, I've never seen it on pc.

There should be an Xbox general forum here.  People complaining about the xbox ver v the pc ver v the windows ver is just silly anyhow.  Esp if noone mentions which ver they're using.

Edited by Martin
On 9/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, vvhorus said:

Actually, I have found myself driving much less in this 0.10 update. I used to make a large rover fairly early in the game and drive it everywhere. Now I just make a large platform, dig myself a cave entrance next to the base, and in I go. More efficient for me this way. I may end up building a rover or two, but they lay mostly parked and unused...

I usually only use rovers only on Terran.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, vvhorus said:

Are you certain it's the year 2360? I would have sworn it was at least the 1980's. Controls still use push buttons...

The game is set sometime in the 25th Century. As for push buttons, I think that's just part of the vintage design inspiration. The artistic freedom for  development doesn't have to expressly match reality. All the crashed satellites made to resemble real world counterparts are just Easter eggs, like the marbles, and were probably design studies for how to model in game modules, etc. 

Early rover designs looked more like the Lunar Rover from the Apollo missions, but now they're more akin to Self-Propelled Modular Transporters.

19 minutes ago, Wedge said:

The game is set sometime in the 25th Century. As for push buttons, I think that's just part of the vintage design inspiration. The artistic freedom for  development doesn't have to expressly match reality. All the crashed satellites made to resemble real world counterparts are just Easter eggs, like the marbles, and were probably design studies for how to model in game modules, etc. 

Early rover designs looked more like the Lunar Rover from the Apollo missions, but now they're more akin to Self-Propelled Modular Transporters.

1970's:

Apollo15LunarRover.jpg

2018:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kv

2360:

Truck.png

I think either technology went backwards, or retro is in fashion in 2360 like on Demolition Man... Just saying... ?