juz4kix

Oh it's daytime? Time for a storm.

I despise storms. They bring neither fun nor challenge. They're just a big inconvenience. Busy doing something? Gotta go hide, here comes an inconsequential storm!!

I call them "bathroom break."

Noticed that maybe storm frequency has increased a lot and also IMHO erosion is much stronger now... not good :(

Dont know that is it just game play idea that players build theirs bases inside caves and not use open air bases.. just a thought.

2 hours ago, Gillberd Törötukka said:

Dont know that is it just game play idea that players build theirs bases inside caves and not use open air bases.. just a thought.

But then I lose so much of the game beauty by playing underground to avoid annoying storms. The beauty, the colors, the shades, the shadows etc. by playing underground all the time the game loses a significant amount of aesthetics which up until this point has been the best part of the game. 
Just give the players the option to have storms or not and their frequency. This way everyone can play happy!

Also the darkness in caves and at night is now much higher than before. This reduces the ability to explore the caves and the surface even with lights

On 8/16/2018 at 5:00 AM, Capt_Harpoon said:

Also the darkness in caves and at night is now much higher than before. This reduces the ability to explore the caves and the surface even with lights

I thought this was my imagination.  I used to love exploring caves, but now I find it too difficult to see no matter how many tethers and work lights I set up.  I end up straining to see anything and get a headache.

"Funny" story that happened to me on Saturday:

Started a new save game. I got lost on Terran while exploring and tried to find my way back for more than an hour with no luck. No exaggeration. At this point I just said "f... it" and decided to look for a suitable place to build an outpost on the same session. Luckily, I found an abandoned base with a platform embedded half way up a mountain, full with a small battery attached to the broken habitat, a research pod, and a wind turbine on a useable platform. I started leveling the terrain to start crafting the usual gadgets to build a shuttle. While in that process, my wife asks for my quick help with something. I left my Astroneer standing next to my small rover (never again, inside the seat from now on) and went on to help her. Not even 4 minutes later, I find my Astroneer inside a drop ship at my original base. A storm must have passed through just moments after I stood up. I then spent another hour unsuccessfully trying to find my remains, as I had a ton of lithium and a few small batteries from my first trip.

That darn storm that killed me while I was AFK just ruined this save game for me...

Yup.. that really pisses me off..   a huge storm going on and the wind generators sitting static in the middle of the wind...  really?

Best way i found to deal with storm is building the base inside a mountain or underground but the sky its so nice to see in this game that i end up not using the mountain base.

Seriously folks.. storms add dimension to the game.  And they were really cool for the first 200 hours.. yeh they can be abit tedious but so is driving into a ravine or getting tangled up in stalagmites in caves.

If you look hard enough at anything you'll find reason to complain.   Storms are fun for new players, that's all that counts.  Also fun in mp.

I actually wish they were much fiercer.  Did actual damage to the base, lasted alot longer, maybe take away the boxes.. Would be really cool if they blocked your vision and just blew you around and lasted like 10-15mins.. and you got logged out if you went afk to try to ignore them..

On 8/24/2018 at 10:25 AM, kioga said:

Yup.. that really pisses me off..   a huge storm going on and the wind generators sitting static in the middle of the wind...  really?

So I felt the same way until someone mentioned that IRL when a storm comes in wind generators are locked so they don't get damaged by high winds. However, I have seen the in game generators spinning during a storm so there is no game mechanic controlling them during a storm.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:28 PM, Martin said:

I actually wish they were much fiercer.  Did actual damage to the base, lasted alot longer, maybe take away the boxes.. Would be really cool if they blocked your vision and just blew you around and lasted like 10-15mins.. and you got logged out if you went afk to try to ignore them..

Interesting...I don't want to be forced underground (but I do enjoy building bases underground). I think we may just be so desperate for something new to do that we are embracing storms now?

You've never played Rohk or Osiris? Both are first/third person right enough, which is a different style of gameplay, but both have storms which last several minutes, much like the duststorms in Ark, in the desert world.  Yes, the storms are annoying, but they also add so much to the apprieciation of the realism of the game, they make you feel like you're achieving something, battling storms as well as creatures, environment hazards, falling down holes.. I think any game, that doesn't have some form of weather effects in it, are missing a huge chunk on immersion.   Every game I've ever played, that stands out in my memory.. every single one of them, has some kind of weather in it.

Astroneer would benefit I feel from some proper storms.  Both above ground and below.. maybe add rain and when the storm comes, the caves fill with water.. drowning our bases.. and wrecking them, whilst the winds above do the same, or at least, make the world shake alittle.  Slow us down abit.

I don't like sinks that outright kill the player, thus I don't like the flying boxes but I see nothing wrong with being slowed down a little for a short while.

3 hours ago, Martin said:

Yes, the storms are annoying, but they also add so much to the apprieciation of the realism of the game, they make you feel like you're achieving something, battling storms as well as creatures, environment hazards, falling down holes.. I think any game, that doesn't have some form of weather effects in it, are missing a huge chunk on immersion.   Every game I've ever played, that stands out in my memory.. every single one of them, has some kind of weather in it.

Astroneer would benefit I feel from some proper storms.  Both above ground and below.. maybe add rain and when the storm comes, the caves fill with water.. drowning our bases.. and wrecking them, whilst the winds above do the same, or at least, make the world shake alittle.  Slow us down abit.

I don't like sinks that outright kill the player, thus I don't like the flying boxes but I see nothing wrong with being slowed down a little for a short while.

Storms in their current state are more of an annoyance than an immersion feature. They really must do something with them: either make them worth being in the game or remove them altogether. I'd prefer them be reworked as they have potential. Like you said, if they remove the flying boxes of death and add RNG to the intensity,  maybe they could be better. The idea should be to slow us down and not to stop the game while it passes...

3 hours ago, Martin said:

Osiris

I've had Osiris in my sights for a while but I haven't had the chance to pull the trigger on it. Either too little free time or something family-related comes up...

Osiris is good fun, it's probably actually better played with friends as the monster combat can be abit overwhelming, esp in the caves, they move so fast, it's probably better to have a friend nearby when you run away screaming.  At least they'd find that funny.. until you died.

What we need is the ability to have a powered shields. Stationary shields would protect sections of your base. Maybe make them engage only when a storm is passing through, and give them a little bit of battery storage on their own. Their power draw shouldn't be too punishing, but it could be interesting to make use of extra batteries and energy generation.

Another idea is having shields be useful on a few added planets. Maybe the atmosphere is super dense, toxic, energy draining, or have some other property that makes it worthwhile to keep pushed away from you and the based. Again, you wouldn't want to make it too punishing if you didn't have a shield, otherwise it would be obnoxious just to land on the planet. Thought maybe if it was one of the more advanced planets. Dunno.

Not sure there would ever be water on these worlds, otherwise shields might be handy for temp areas or something.

Welcome to the forum Todd M!

I would like a night shield to protect me from darkness! ?

Todd M you need to find the thread with the PaxWest footage. It should make you quite happy!

There is a report floating around that the new update will be released tomorrow Todd M!

Storms are one of the most frustrating aspects of the game, if not the most annoying. The Devs don’t seem to be listening to the players in this respect. Many have said they prefer logging out of the game when one hits (I do sometimes, and just log back in). When something like that is happening, when your player base is actively avoiding a mechanic, it’s a sure sign you as a Developer need to seriously reevaluate your mechanic and either remove it, or drastically reprogram it. There absolutely should be NO penalty for those who avoid storms, that’s ridiculous! Some people don’t have much time to play games, and they don’t have time to waste with silly mechanics like storms that don’t respect their time.

Suggesting penalties for leaving a game due to storms, have you gone completely mad? How would the game know why anyone left? Maybe it just so happened someone had to go eat, answer the phone, see to a child, leave for work, appointment, or something else, and there coincidentally just happened to be a storm on the way when they did, but that had nothing to do with why they left the game. Imposing penalties would be the most insensitive thing SES could do in a situation like this. We aren’t talking some hardcore survival game here, this is an exploration/discovery-centric game, something intended to be family-friendly etc.

Storms are fun for new players? Hmm, are they now? How many new players were surveyed and said “I find storms fun” exactly? I never thought they were fun, doubt many did, and they’ve become increasingly annoying. They weren’t that bad back in early Pre-Alpha I’ll agree, but they’re much worse now especially on Xbox One. Now my game freezes for a split second when a storm is generated. It didn’t do that before, just started a few months ago in fact. They last longer the longer I play a save, so they’re significantly detrimental to the gameplay process. Again, if they’re causing that many problems with performance and SES can’t reign them in, they should be removed (at least on Xbox) until they don’t interfere with performance and can be optimized. I’d much rather enjoy the benefits of the new update with Terrain 2.0 than continue to have horrible slowing from storms (and why anyone thinks storms are ok underground is beyond me, most ridiculous thing myself and many others have ever heard of). Caves have wind, because atmospheric pressure is constantly equalizing (it’s been said they “breathe”) but all this stupid slowing and decreased visibility is insanity. It’s already too dark in caves, and this just makes it worse.

Exactly how do storms add immersion to the game? I’d argue they actually act against immersion because they feel so fake. Blocky “rocks” that just twirl around and get caught on everything, spinning in place until they might manage to hit my player in the boot after losing almost all momentum yet still delivering a killing blow? That’s infuriating not immersive. Block rocks clipping through walls and barriers, cave tops etc, yeah all these things make me feel I’m “really there” (sarcasm). Even with much of the sound turned down the storms sound like a freaking hurricane and the rock impacts sound like wrecking ball or something is hitting my base or shelter (please fix your sound Fx). And please decrease the noise of the clanking platforms it’s very annoying as well plus they make noise for the most ridiculous reasons. I can pass an Inhibitor under a platform and I swear it seems that’ll set them off to clanging for minutes!

I agree, we need to see the story elements before launch or else it’ll be a super buggy mess. I hope they’ll put some of that in next update.

I love the game and while I’m sure some will say “oh some of you love to do nothing but complain” that’s not true. But when I see someone say ridiculous things like storms improve immersion (that’s their opinion, they’ve the right to say that of course I believe in that right) I feel I must say many do not feel that way, that storms are instead a nuisance that wastes time. I’m all for storms being improved so they bring some sort of balance to the game. If they’re going to blow my stuff around base (they shouldn’t blow my vehicles around however, rovers should be considered way to heavy to be blown about by storms-think about how heavy these would be IRL? They’re heavy duty no doubt and they’re not supposed to budge imo) they should also be bringing in some goodies as well. Maybe some common resources but with a chance of some rares too maybe a few little research bits occasionally show up as well? Get rid of the rocks of death, and just have some decreased visibility (avoid the slowing though, impaired visibility is enough). We should still be able to use our backpack so we can continue working (if you can see that is, that’s the caveat lol). If you’re in shelter you shouldn’t be affected at all (i.e. caves-no effects from storms, or else what’s the benefit of seeking shelter?). That’s the main issue, currently you lose a lot of benefit from being in shelter (if in your hab or seat/vehicle you can’t do anything so it’s wasted time; if you’re underground and there’s a storm nearby you’re still slowed and stuff gets blown away, which is both ridiculous and counterproductive.

As for other weather, I agree variety would be nice. For example I would like to see space weather that doesn’t impact us on the ground but it interesting to see, observe (maybe we could take measurements or analyze different phenomenon idk). But more weather hazards? Not until SES has proven they can balance the one thing they have in the game already.

As always, thanks for reading. Looking forward to next update!

I have to agree that storms are annoying.  Also, myself and my friends have noticed, the longer we play the more often they come.  We've had storms literally come immediately after one ends.  Maybe the devs want us to live underground?  Yesterday we did a play thorough that lasted about 4 hours. At first the storms were about every 15 minutes or so.  In hour two they were about every 10 minutes. 3rd hour it was literally down to one every 3 or 4 minutes and we finally all got fed up when we had 3 sets of two or three storms happen less than 20 seconds (we timed them) apart in hour 4.  How are you supposed to get anything done when you're constantly running for cover?  I wouldn't even mind if the storms stayed in as long as they remained 15 to 20 minutes apart. But as often and enduring as they are? kind of ridiculous.  

Side note.  I see a lot of people say their wind turbines don't do anything in storms. Ours do. They don't start Immediately but about 10 seconds into a storm they start spinning like mad.  When the storm passes the stop.  So when there is a storm coming, (which is like all the time now) we put batteries on platforms and by the end of the storms they are full again. 

On 9/5/2018 at 7:49 PM, Shadow Echo said:

Storms are one of the most frustrating aspects of the game, if not the most annoying. The Devs don’t seem to be listening to the players in this respect. ...

As always, thanks for reading. Looking forward to next update!

I hope they continue to ignore the players on this aspect.  I'm beginning to run out of cheese.

Edited by Martin

Add me to team 'this isn't a fun mechanic'. I mean I like them visually but they should be harmless or negatable somehow. It's not fun just sitting staring at whatever I've had to hide in for five minutes.

They're well overdue a fix. Around Xmas, before the base-building update, they were a bit annoying. Now, they're terrible lag-beasts that kill you in one hit. 

Storms and wind are on the roadmap for a pre-1.0 pass. They've been on there for a good while, scheduled to be looked at around this time of year. Some of the devs were focussed on wind in particular quite recently. Changes are coming. 

Also, there's a difference between 'ignoring' players and prioritising other things first.