Wary Explorer

Remove Multiplayer

Ok I get it. Every single player game that comes out people ask for Multiplayer version, battle royale, etc...

Here are my arguments for abandoning multiplayer:

1.) What percentage of all Astroneer time is spent in multiplayer? I'm spit balling here...10% is extremely, extremely generous. How many have never touched multiplayer? 75%? Is something that only half the players would touch and maybe 10% spend time doing worth it? I don't believe so.

2.) Insane development time. Party formation, griefing controls, banning players, headaches, more headaches. How many enhancements could we have if devs didn't spend time on multiplayer? All of them? I would rather have jet packs and other flyers, purpose and plot to the game, and other fun features that I will use.

So we are going to spend all this time developing multiplayer when a minority of players will ever use it? Just drop it and focus on long term playability, early game fun. Things 90+% of players will do. 

Ok I'm done. You may begin your thrashing now...please be gentle.

I haven't played multiplayer in a while, and when I did, it was very buggy and laggy. However, it was such fun to play co-op with friends.

Dedicated servers are supposed to be coming soon. Hopefully (I've been using this word too much to refer to this game lately) we'll see if those solve some of the multiplayer issues. If not, then we can revisit this thread.

On a related side note, and I've suggested this before: there should be an option to make one's session private or invite-only. My friend's 5-year-old son coming into my game uninvited and wreaking havoc on my base is something I really want to avoid. Another thing that hopefully we'll see in the game soon...

45 minutes ago, Wary Explorer said:

Here are my arguments for abandoning multiplayer:

1.) What percentage of all Astroneer time is spent in multiplayer? I'm spit balling here...10% is extremely, extremely generous. How many have never touched multiplayer? 75%? Is something that only half the players would touch and maybe 10% spend time doing worth it? I don't believe so.

2.) [...]

So we are going to spend all this time developing multiplayer when a minority of players will ever use it? Just drop it and focus on long term playability, early game fun. Things 90+% of players will do.

http://dilbert.com/strip/2008-05-08

Many studies show that games that have a plot are only played once or twice, maybe thrice. But sandbox games don’t need plot, but multiplayer helps it while plot doesn’t. Also Marck sicc burn dude. 

On 8/8/2018 at 8:52 PM, Wary Explorer said:

That comic strip has been shown to only be 18% effective in debunking a spit balling argument. :)

But puts up a valid point. Where the hek did you get your numbers from?

21 minutes ago, Wary Explorer said:

That comic strip has been shown to only be 18% effective in debunking a spit balling argument. :)

BOMUS states a different value for exactly this question 99 out of 100 times.

Edited by Marck

I regularly play multiplayer.   I play with a friend that Ive played exploration/building games with for a decade.   This game screams multiplayer.  The idea of abandoning it is ludicrous.   Taking a game with insane potential in multiplayer  and turning it into the initial release of No Man Sky.( I played it and it was painfully lonely game play).  Imagine if they abandoned multiplayer for Minecraft.   How stupid would that suggestion have been .  Your percentages are Enormously skewed.   Id recommend deleting this post and rethinking your position.

Spitballing numbers to support an argument....  That takes guts if you truly don't expect to be called out on it.  Did you know 100% of spitballed numbers are inaccurate?  I'm just spitballing here....

IMO, multiplayer is a phenomenal idea for this game.  In fact, I'm disappointed it is currently limited to four players.  I'd love to see an Astroneer "community" where you could build not just a base, but perhaps an entire town or city.

Lots of issues to figure out, of course, such as ownership.  But, if you make it invite only or whitelist, then that eliminates griefers and leaves malicious practical jokes on your fellow Astroneers.  You know, tag with dynamite....

multiplayer is crucial for a game like this! I dont do multiplayer a lot because I have an old 2GHz AMD with 8GB DDR3 and a GT 710 card. Basically 6 year old tech, and low end when it was new lol so I'm lucky if I get over 20 FPS in single player, 14 in multiplayer and multi bugs like crazy with visual glitches that reloading doesnt fix. Once my new system is built, I will spend 20-30% of my in-game time playing multiplayer.

also, terrain 2.0 is supposed to be a big fix for lagging, hopefully it helps with multiplayer lagging to a noticeable degree. I'm not sure if they'll ever let people host games on their own machines haha but thatd be nice.  ihave enough semi old computers laying around to have a host machine but I doubt theyll do any of that...maybe?

If I had a good internet speed, I would probably play multiplayer, or if my brother gets a laptop with a $25 steam card, either way, multiplayer on exploration games is fun and I don't think they should remove it.

Multiplayer is definitely a great feature of this game. Games like this lose half the appeal and replayability if you can't goof off with your friends.

Suggestions are meant for improvements, not downgrades and made-up statistics. Which means I'll close here.

The multiplayer itself definitely will be improved over time, though. Improvements are the keyword, not removals.