Substantial lag when placing tether

Hello all,

Just wanted to point and see if anyone else is having the same issue. After playing for a couple weeks now, I have developed a sizable network of tethers leading to and from my home base. Ive noticed the more tethers I place the longer it takes for the game to catch up. The entire game freezes, and then after a 3 second pause the game catches up. At which point I have ran far enough away from the last tether, that I need to place another and the loop goes on from there. Any support or comments?

Thanks,

xXMotherGooseXx

The devs have repeatedly stated that tethers aren't meant to be deployed/used en mass.
Why? Because the code for them is a little wonky, and gets progressively worse as the network gets larger.
The only solution is to dismantle parts of the network, and start using rovers. (yes, rovers are allso wonky, but at least they aren't as bad as tethers)

They (the devs) really, really, intend for players to switch over to rovers fairly quickly, saving Tethers for building up a new base/exploring out from a rover/ship.

I am not a dev, so take the following with a grain or two of salt.
To the best of my knowledge, they haven't done anything different with tethers for the last few months, so they may have just given up.
I hope they haven't, because tethers are usefull, but they've had this type of problem for over a year now.

3 hours ago, Lord_Greyscale said:

The devs have repeatedly stated that tethers aren't meant to be deployed/used en mass.
Why? Because the code for them is a little wonky, and gets progressively worse as the network gets larger.
The only solution is to dismantle parts of the network, and start using rovers. (yes, rovers are allso wonky, but at least they aren't as bad as tethers)

They (the devs) really, really, intend for players to switch over to rovers fairly quickly, saving Tethers for building up a new base/exploring out from a rover/ship.

I am not a dev, so take the following with a grain or two of salt.
To the best of my knowledge, they haven't done anything different with tethers for the last few months, so they may have just given up.
I hope they haven't, because tethers are usefull, but they've had this type of problem for over a year now.

Thanks for this. but when the base have more then 4-5 elements and i played with 1-2 people the game is laggy. when 2 people use they gut i have 1-2 fps.

this are wrong settings or the game ?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the long time since your post, I forgot to check the forums

On 8/5/2018 at 11:01 AM, blaub4r said:

Thanks for this. but when the base have more then 4-5 elements and i played with 1-2 people the game is laggy. when 2 people use they gut i have 1-2 fps.

Multi-part problem, I'll list the most likely causes.
(do note, I have no knowledge of what/how good you computer/network is)

This could be a simple matter of your computer only barely meeting the game's minimum requirements. (I doubt this is the cause, but it *is* possible)
It could be a result of you having too many things other than the game running on a system that is only somewhat better than the minimum. (very possible)

Or, it could be a result of the game's less-than-stellar networking code. (for some reason, most companies ignore making good netcode, I suppose it's the actually hard part)
Heck, it could even be that one of your friends has terrible internet access/a barely meeting the minimum computer.

For comparison, I've got a decent computer, but *horrible* internet access. (monopolies will tend to do that)
I routinely get about 10 FPS in a multiplayer game where I'm the host, and about 30FPS if someone else is the host. (and on the lowest graphics settings too)
Either way, rubber-banding (snap-back) is common, and if everyone is using their terrain-gun, it *crawls* along at 1 or 2 FPS. (a consequence of the bad networking code, worse internet, and too much particle spam)
(doing it on a LAN in the same physical room barely helped, that's how bad the networking code is)

Rovers though, whoo-ee.  I'm *consistently* slower at max speed than everyone else, even as the host, because my shitty internet is dropping half the movement update packets.
(even with that, I seem to be the only one able to drive rover trains without routinely getting them stuck in terrain, and going up steeper hills than others)

Everyone else reports a nice, smooth rover experience, but what I *see* is hilarious rubber-banding of individual components of the rovers.
(ex: one wheel won't leave the place the rover started moving from untill the pilot exits the rover, all the while the rover is bouncing/flouncing it's way around/over/*through* terrain and structure alike. It has even knocked other rovers into orbit)

Edited by Lord_Greyscale