I couldn't find this suggestion, but a way to move about the planet with a balloon of gas and some propulsion.  This may help with some of the dis-satisfaction of losing stuff, dying and then only being able to get back 'close' to it with a shuttle, which isn't always useful.  Balloons may have other uses like antennas for radar, reconnaissance, etc.

I agree with this strongly, it is a good way to combat losing items and there should definitely be a way to fly that doesn't include the use of a shuttle or a bugged seat.

Hey Thanks!  Wings might be problematic but I don't know if there is an actual density to the atmosphere.  But a balloon with some lighter than air gas control and a means of propulsion would be a simple way to get from place to place.  The flight / drive mechanics are already there, it's just swapping out the vehicle.

Maybe the atmosphere could be made out of different stacked gases with different densitys. Then you'd had to choose with wich one of the gases available to you you'd fill your ballon so it gets up to a certain height, but not meaningfull higher.

Edited by NolimitsHD

Love the idea! Would love a way to personalize the balloons so when playing MP it would be beyond awesome! 
As for propulsion it has to be some type of Steampunk type balloon. I don't want it to look like some kiddie ride type thing or a trip to New Mexico hot air balloons but rather a space type balloon. Propellers, big chain driven - HUGE chain driven made  mostly of scrap from the shredder.
Have to have first person view
Have to carry passengers
Have to carry research pods and resources attached to the outside
Have to be able to drop beacons
Have the ability to drop supplies OR a cannon to shoot things out of like beacons and supplies and resources!
Upgrade 1 carry the small rover (under the belly just like the space shuttle under a 747)
Upgrade 2 carry the medium rover
Upgrade 3 carry both the small and medium rovers
Sadly SES it will make it so it has have to have tethers...????

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

I think there are enough ideas about flight to make it so much more than just 1 vehicle. I think we only need to look at the Rovers to get an idea of what it could be:

Small Flyer: Personal Only - A jetpack or some sort of single person flyer. Something like the small rover with a couple of attach points. I know this part is sensitive on the boards but maybe not even supply oxygen. This would limit the surveillance that can be done. And if you fly into a storm...you die a fantastic death as you go spinning into the ground.

Medium: More attach points. Ability to chain together like the rovers. Maybe balloons here make sense and have it simply be a large platform A, B, C with a chair attached as the base.  Nothing really cool here to keep everyone wanting the large flyer. Get a real use for thrusters by attaching to the back end of your chain of platforms. And if you fly into a storm...you die a violent death as you go spinning into the ground with all the platforms landing on top of you.

Large: Something truly unique. A real beast like the large rover. I like The Touch of Grey's post above about what the large could do. Ability to drop beacons, carry rovers,  would be really nice.  I like the idea of a flying mobile base!  And if you fly into a storm...you hold steady like the beast you are.

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Love the idea! Would love a way to personalize the balloons so when playing MP it would be beyond awesome! 
As for propulsion it has to be some type of Steampunk type balloon. I don't want it to look like some kiddie ride type thing or a trip to New Mexico hot air balloons but rather a space type balloon. Propellers, big chain driven - HUGE chain driven made  mostly of scrap from the shredder.
Have to have first person view
Have to carry passengers
Have to carry research pods and resources attached to the outside
Have to be able to drop beacons
Have the ability to drop supplies OR a cannon to shoot things out of like beacons and supplies and resources!
Upgrade 1 carry the small rover (under the belly just like the space shuttle under a 747)
Upgrade 2 carry the medium rover
Upgrade 3 carry both the small and medium rovers
Sadly SES it will make it so it has have to have tethers...????

They can even make it look "retro" to match the rest of the game. SES should model it like one of those "weather balloons" that supposedly crashed in Roswell...

balloon14.jpg

1 hour ago, Wary Explorer said:

I think there are enough ideas about flight to make it so much more than just 1 vehicle. I think we only need to look at the Rovers to get an idea of what it could be:

Small Flyer: Personal Only - A jetpack or some sort of single person flyer. Something like the small rover with a couple of attach points. I know this part is sensitive on the boards but maybe not even supply oxygen. This would limit the surveillance that can be done. And if you fly into a storm...you die a fantastic death as you go spinning into the ground.

Medium: More attach points. Ability to chain together like the rovers. Maybe balloons here make sense and have it simply be a large platform A, B, C with a chair attached as the base.  Nothing really cool here to keep everyone wanting the large flyer. Get a real use for thrusters by attaching to the back end of your chain of platforms. And if you fly into a storm...you die a violent death as you go spinning into the ground with all the platforms landing on top of you.

Large: Something truly unique. A real beast like the large rover. I like The Touch of Grey's post above about what the large could do. Ability to drop beacons, carry rovers,  would be really nice.  I like the idea of a flying mobile base!  And if you fly into a storm...you hold steady like the beast you are.

It would be even better if you could store it on any tier2 slot to maybe fill up its own oxygen tank(It shure could have one couldn't it?)

+10 to different sized balloons, and we know there is an atmosphere because the gas pods' gas doesn't dissipate like it would in a vacuum