Flying (Dev?) Seat: 9.0 - PC - Seat Bug

Xamerzan

Summary: Getting into an Open 1-Seat (possibly other seats as well) and clicking at the right time allows you to fly around simply by pointing the mouse.

Description: Pressing and holding 'E' on an Open 1-seat and immediately clicking on the seat (to pick it up if timed correctly) allows the user to fly anywhere they please without the need of a vehicle or oxygen; this can sometimes result in flying 'inside' the planet as well. This bug can be used in single player, but is insanely easier to achieve in multiplayer due to the brief lag when the host automatically saves when any player jumps into any seat. Though it hasn't been tested with other seats yet, I imagine that other seats that can be picked up and climbed into by the Astroneers can also be affected by thus bug.

Platform:
Windows 10 PC

Version / Build Number: 9.0

Flying Seat Bug 0.png

Flying Seat Bug 1.png

Edited by Xamerzan

Additional Note: If it helps to know, I forgot to mention that this was all through Steam.

I was able to reproduce this and it seems like this is quite an old bug, I saw it being used in a YouTube video too.
Please fix ?

13 hours ago, Whoophuam said:

Please fix ?

I have an honest question for you: Why do you think this should be fixed?

Just for a minute, consider this behavior not being removed from the game. Instead, SES could add something like the following to the release/patch notes:
'There is a known glitch in the game where you are able to fly around in Astroneer when you manage to grab a seat while entering it. If you encounter this accidentally, simply exit the seat again to avoid this effect. Please let us know what you think of this effect and if you would like to see something like it be made into a game feature."

This is just another exploit that does not harm Astroneer.

It definitely harms Astroneer. You get in the seat, unlimited oxygen, fly at rapid pace and are able to get to places that you wouldn't normally be able to get to at certain points in the game.
This, being a game feature, would be odd to say the least. The universe revolves around needing fuel, energy and oxygen to explore places, but with a flying seat you don't need any of those - I just think it would be very bizarre.

Exploit = "unfair advantage" fyi

Edited by Whoophuam

I am not advocating for leaving this behaviour in the game unchanged. Instead, I suggest to jump on the opportunity to evaluate if and how a similar feature could be a benefit to the game. People are suggesting planes, drones, and similar features for Astroneer all the time. This game is still in its alpha phase, after all, and exploring options for new or changed gameplay is a part of this.

43 minutes ago, Whoophuam said:

Exploit = "unfair advantage" fyi

I am aware of that. You clearly did not read even the first post of the thread that I referenced.

After some clarification, perhaps it could be used for something - mechanics-wise.
It is just quite a hard comparison to make to planes and drones when they will probably need some kind of fuel or energy to function, unlike the flying seat.
And if planes/drones or vehicles in that category were added they would not be controlled by having to click them and drag them around; there would have to be some kind of controlling mechanism that isn't a bug...

In terms of SES making a post about this saying that this would be a viable option for transport (using the bugged seat, click and drag) is very unlikely, so I do not even understand why making that scenario was necessary, it just put me off from what you were actually trying to suggest, which is a viable suggestion.

1 hour ago, Marck said:

If you encounter this accidentally, simply exit the seat again to avoid this effect

That's not how development works and most people would use this for their own betterment. Publicly announcing this would make people even more inclined to abuse this bug.
e.g: