SES_joe

Update 0.9.2 - August 6th 2018

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bron said:

what is it with the storm hate? i mean, i get that it's tedious to have to stop midway through a basebuilding project or resource grab to hide away for a few minutes, BUT if we didnt have storms, we wouldnt have ANY weather to speak of, and that would get boring pretty quickly, i reckon.

they could do with being overhauled, but not removed. perhaps terrain 2.0 will also solve some of the storm/terrain interaction issues, like storms reaching underground and above the clouds etc.

i had about five storms hit my base in the course of one terran cycle once. not the best day.

also, on a side note: there's been talk of implementing a sleep cycle and making Astroneers get tired and need sleep. if you thought having to stop for storms was tedious.......!

Did you read me state I hated them?  Nope.  Personally, I'd like to crank them up once in a while to get a real hard game save going.  But understand too that others would enjoy a little change every now and then, sometimes down, sometimes up.  The game needs REAL sandbox treatment and allow player control over the environmental variables to make the game fit the playstyle desired.  Playability would skyrocket!!!

Edited by Nargg

Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, Martin said:

See this is for me the core of the issue, we play games, that other people invent.. that is what gives us fun.  We do not play games, that we invent, because that's boring.

I guess that's why Minecraft sucked so much and didn't sell at all?  Really?   People LOVE creating things and controlling things.  Open gameplay has taken off like crazy over the years.  It's human nature to want to have control over your own environment.  Not sure why you even tried arguing it the way you did.

Edited by Nargg

in this version 0.9.2, whenever I make a ship I will soon go to the planet with radiation, and the storms are very strict. when it has just passed a 5 seconds later comes another but has a positive counter. to continue to work during the storm, because on this planet the storms have no object that can kill you. I do not go to the caves on this planet, because I have aluminum and copper in abundance, there are astronium, lithium, tungsten, coal, all on the surface.
It annoys the storms a lot but it's part of the game.
what I really wanted was to try to optimize the game, because in each update the game is getting heavier, I used to play with everything at the most, now I play with everything in the least and even then sometimes it is impossible to run because it is brake a lot.
taking away the game this 5 stars, I am waiting for the update of the month of September

15 hours ago, Bron said:

also, on a side note: there's been talk of implementing a sleep cycle and making Astroneers get tired and need sleep. if you thought having to stop for storms was tedious.......!

I thought that was what the Astroneer did when you entered the habitat, sleep during the storm.

If there is ever a sleep cycle in this game, I will uninstall without hesitation. I'm not interested in (nor have time to be) staring at my screen for whatever minutes doing nothing while the toon "rests".

24 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

I thought that was what the Astroneer did when you entered the habitat, sleep during the storm.

If there is ever a sleep cycle in this game, I will uninstall without hesitation. I'm not interested in (nor have time to be) staring at my screen for whatever minutes doing nothing while the toon "rests".

I agree, I'm not a big fan of sleep cycles in any game - it feels like wasting time. Not even mentioning the chaos that it will cause when dedicated servers release.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:35 AM, Nargg said:

I guess that's why Minecraft sucked so much and didn't sell at all?  Really?   People LOVE creating things and controlling things.  Open gameplay has taken off like crazy over the years.  It's human nature to want to have control over your own environment.  Not sure why you even tried arguing it the way you did.

Minecraft wasn't written by the players. The players didn't set the rules.  You could mod it, hack it etc. but you were playing someone elses idea.  Personally I think you made my argument for me.

On 8/29/2018 at 2:39 PM, vvhorus said:

Depends how it is I guess, many games have "sleep cycles" you just don't notice them.

Essentially crafting, healing are all sleep cycles if you think about it.  You're standing still staring at the screen whilst waiting for something to complete.

Storms are too really.  Unless you're underground.

59 minutes ago, Martin said:

Depends how it is I guess, many games have "sleep cycles" you just don't notice them.

Essentially crafting, healing are all sleep cycles if you think about it.  You're standing still staring at the screen whilst waiting for something to complete.

Storms are too really.  Unless you're underground.

The ones that you have listed have a goal, a function that allows the player to progress.
A Sleep Cycle is nothing more than adding realism and perhaps passing a chunk of in-game time. It's also why some people don't like storms.

Only things I don't like are zombies and sharks.. so long as we never got those. I'll be happy.

7 hours ago, Martin said:

Only things I don't like are zombies and sharks.. so long as we never got those. I'll be happy.

?

On 8/28/2018 at 4:30 PM, Bron said:

BUT if we didnt have storms, we wouldnt have ANY weather to speak of, and that would get boring pretty quickly, i reckon.

i had about five storms hit my base in the course of one terran cycle once. not the best day

Actually, not having storms doesn’t necessarily mean the game is boring. I wouldn’t miss storms if they went away or if we were given an option to turn them off (in fact I’d celebrate, a lot of others would too!). Some would like a slider, where we could set the frequency of storms in game (maybe an instensity meter as well). I hope we get something like this, because storms right now are terrible in terms of performance on Xbox One.

There are quite a few players who spend a great deal of their time on Barren just so they can avoid storms entirely (Barren is the only place atm that has no storms). Just thought I’d mention that. I would do it as well, but I like the colorful look of Terran so I’m kinda stuck. Sometimes I leave the game when a storm approaches, and log back in soon after or choose another save to work on (I have a few accounts, I maintain about 15-20 save games at any given time, so I always have something to work on). I love this game, so I’ve adapted to work around storms xD 

I'd like to try a game with storms turned on almost always.  See how long I could last in that environment.  But I understand others would not like storms at all.  That's why I think the game needs variables to set at the start of each brand new game save.  Tweak it just the way you want it.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:09 PM, Martin said:

Minecraft wasn't written by the players. The players didn't set the rules.  You could mod it, hack it etc. but you were playing someone elses idea.  Personally I think you made my argument for me.

You apparently missed the development of that game.  Very similar to this one in that Notch actually DID listen to the players.  And, now Microsoft, who owns and develops Minecraft is also listening very intently to the players and their wants.  So, your point is even more wrong now than ever.