SES_joe

Update 0.9.2 - August 6th 2018

19 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

The question I have for the team is "WHY the heck did you guys have to ruin a perfectly good savegame to implement this new update?"

I'm guessing I'll probably never get an answer but here's a suggestion for the next time you release a update. Instead of having a message stating that you're about to play a unsupported savegame, replace it with "Some of the new features in this update won't be available in this savegame. Start a new game to enjoy the benefits of this update."

So we don't get all the bells and whistles that come with the update like the new wreckage and new discoveries. At least we be able to show off what we've done to others instead of having nothing to show for it.

And by stating that these issues will no longer appear in Terrain 2.0 is kind of laughable. Beside that I will probably wait until the next update to play because it's kind of pointless to  work on something for weeks then end up being disappointed again.

Probably because they did not think ahead of time about the re-usability of save format. And creating a conversion script between them is probably not worth it since it's just pre-release update.

They should invest into proper save format that can be used in more versions than 1 for the long run without creating bugs in terrain and everything.

I started a new save game last night to try out the patch. Landed smack in the middle of a triangle of large wreckages, with 3 more large wreckages and 5 resource drop pods within walking distance (thank you, RNG!). Two 8k byte and one 7K byte research pods within the first 5 minutes of the game. Booyah...

My thoughts:

1. Removing the printer was something I saw coming. Too many crafting devices. And the convenience of having the small fabricator do single-slot boxed items is unparalleled. Good job. 👍
  2. Ninja nerfing the shuttles to require a seat attached to the chassis to be able to launch was something I wasn't happy about. But after further tinkering, and taking into consideration that the things you craft with the small fabricator only occupy a single storage slot, I was able to fit more things into a large shuttle with only one large storage unit than what I used to load on a large shuttle with two large storage units from the last patch. If these forums would allow us to edit our posts after the fact, I would have amended my previous posts criticizing this. Don't know if not adding this to the patch notes was an oversight or intended, but I'll give SES the benefit of the doubt... 👍
  3. The byte value of Titanium as a researchable item was nerfed to the ground. Titanium was worth approx. 2500 bytes on the last patch. It's now worth only 150 bytes. Hematite is now IMO the only resource worth using for research (approx. 2500 bytes). If you like scavenging for scrap and are pressed for bytes, two scrap bundles will get you one hematite...
  4. Storms are as annoying as ever. Made a cavern right below the habitat and, with the help of a few free extenders, moved my base underground. The soil from the cavern was used to extract all sorts of materials, including lithium for medium batteries. Problem solved.

Other than the above changes and the new resources, the game was business as usual. Still waiting for that "wow" factor. Where are you, substance? Will you finally arrive at the end of the month?

haven't played this in a new game yet, because i had just gotten a nice base going and was beginning to push out to other planets when the update arrived, so i just kept on, which is something i hardly ever do, i believe in starting afresh with each major update. the old game save seemed to convert fine, no major faults, the new stuff just layered on. so that was good, i guess.

not so pleased with some of the content, however. i can honestly say i have never thought to myself 'what this game needs is for the place to keep getting cluttered up with meaningless terrain stuff, particularly in my base.' i don't think i'm in a minority of players when i say my base building technique usually involves getting rid of all that stuff as quickly as possible. now it appears the rocks and weeds even regrow on the original base rock, something that has been blissfully free of weeds until now. honestly, if the terrain tools that sample colors to be reproduced are supposed to have any kind of useful function, it should be to let you sample a color that is impervious to re-spawning stuff and let you lay it down for bases, roads, clear tunnels etc. I've mentioned in other posts before that the draw distance for obstructions like rocks on the terrain makes driving vehicles on the surface at any useful speed impossible. being able to carve out tracks and roads seems like a no-brainer to improve the user experience, but stuff like this makes the devs look like they are out of touch with what their playtest community really want.

oh yeah, and put titanium back, dudes. two blocks of grey stuff that are like a shade and a half different from each other isn't helping anyone.

not bothered much about the loss of the med printer, except that i really liked the visual more than the new fabricator visuals. Also, because the fabricators print out onto the terrain you have to be more careful about how you place them or stuff wont print out.

i generally approve of stuff that has an on-off switch. it helped the power generators to be more useful, i don't doubt it will do the same for the beacons. beacons are the most improved item in the inventory, in my opinion.

could we not find the opportunity in this update to tweak the small solar and wind collectors to show you the connector points when you rotate them? after all, the only reason to rotate these items is to align the connectors, and at the mo they disappear when you pick them up, making alignment pure guesswork. not user friendly, guys.

Ive built recyclers and scrapped stuff, but it's an utterly tedious mechanic that has little reward at the moment. Hand carrying tiny bits of broken solar panel miles and miles is busy work, and we don't need it. what are we, Astroneers or Jawas? devs, give us skips on wheels we can chuck scrap into and tow from site to site and then take back to base for crushing en masse, and you might find more of us getting behind the mechanic more.

that's all for my first thoughts. more as it occurs to me.

I can't wait to get to the other planets! All my saves have been lost due to the fact that I got a new PC and I couldn't recover them from the cloud, but I'm so excited every time I see a new patch to see it in-game! Keep improving the game, you'll have it finished in no-time!

Nice update and nice to see that Terrain will be getting a overhaul.

Yes please make terraformed terrain not intractable with nature of the game.

Please make the Habitat packupable! I want to move my base to a more cool area then out in the open! Or at least able to build a new one!!! Please!!!

I actually like that the med printer was removed as it now frees up a large platform for other large machines.

Please add tooltips to everything in game please as some mods I have no idea how to use or what they are for!!! Is there a Wiki about the mods and other objects ingame???

Also it would be great if you can have preset Terraforming along the XYZ plains. So we can terraform walls and geographical bases!!! Please please please Devs!!! Diagonals as well!

Keep up the great work! Now we just need a story or mission objectives or random quest items or maybe base construction goals like build a pyramid base or something!!

Thanks 

18 hours ago, vvhorus said:

I started a new save game last night to try out the patch. Landed smack in the middle of a triangle of large wreckages, with 3 more large wreckages and 5 resource drop pods within walking distance (thank you, RNG!). Two 8k byte and one 7K byte research pods within the first 5 minutes of the game. Booyah...

I had some wreckages and a destroyed base close by with a large cave system under my base full of rovers and satellites. I think so far I've found like 8 of those human research pods worth 7-8k a piece along with like 10 alien research pods. 

58 minutes ago, Sqweloookle said:

Or at least able to build a new one!!! Please!!!

Please add tooltips to everything in game please as some mods I have no idea how to use or what they are for!!! Is there a Wiki about the mods and other objects ingame???

You can make a small habitat, but why would you want one? The habitat does very little after the very start of the game... You can start a new base with a small fabricator, a stack of resin, and a bit of power. It's even easier now you can pre-print and pack solar panels etc!

Here's the wiki!

Here's the roadmap of planned features too... Directed goals are coming with 1.0 in December!

On 8/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, mar21 said:

Dedicated servers should not be priority for 1.0, but for some latter release. Instead they should focus on mentioned hotfixes and pushing as much content out as possible to properly test it all. Better have 10 broken releases in one month that get fixed quickly, than have day 1 release disaster.

Dedicated server - the main innovation required before the game is released. 

While the game is accompanied by the eternal unmanaged out-of-sync of the client and the server, while in the multiuser mode, the attempt to sit in the rover makes all the other players linger in the lag and while the intensive extraction of resources by one player creates a lag for everyone else - there can be no release except fictitious.

Part of these problems should close the dedicated server.

1 hour ago, Mirosya said:

Dedicated server - the main innovation required before the game is released. 

While the game is accompanied by the eternal unmanaged out-of-sync of the client and the server, while in the multiuser mode, the attempt to sit in the rover makes all the other players linger in the lag and while the intensive extraction of resources by one player creates a lag for everyone else - there can be no release except fictitious.

Part of these problems should close the dedicated server.

I think you partly misunderstood me.

They should have the game split and run it as server/client all the time. This would merge MP and SP experience and make it easier to fix all the bugs, since they would occur regardless of playing SP or MP.

Then after optimizing the server side, they can deploy it to dedicated servers.

6 minutes ago, mar21 said:

Then after optimizing the server side, they can deploy it to dedicated servers.

A year and a half of development of the game in the status of pre-alpha has been released many corrections, but the multiplayer mode as it was unplayable so it remained (to a lesser extent, but still). Single-player mode quickly bothers - especially because of the constant need to create a new game because every new version of the game breaks the old saved version.

Hence two conclusions:
1) Developers can not debug an already running multiplayer mode - then it's better to focus only on the dedicated server model (remove persistent save when trying to get into the rover or hide in the habitat, also deal with sticking when active in the network game - one digs - two wait until he digs it ?!)

2) We need to develop a development model in which there will not be a permanent change in the format of the save file. The game needs stability - people just get tired grindit from scratch every time the same thing - they just go away to play other games.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:19 AM, SES_joe said:
  • All objects that previously printed from the Medium Printer can now be crafted from the Small Fabricator. 

This is confusing now. Or still not clear enough.

When the game starts, we get a Medium Fabricator for free and in order to produce Medium Storage I have to produce the Small Fabricator...

Anyone wish there was proper ultrawide support for this game? also maybe animals that you could keep as pets and follow you around? that would be epic

Nobody seems to like the storms.  Too bad you can't adjust them higher or lower in frequency/intensity before starting a new game save....   hint hint SES...

On 8/12/2018 at 10:03 AM, RebalFox said:

Anyone wish there was proper ultrawide support for this game? also maybe animals that you could keep as pets and follow you around? that would be epic

Ultrawide support - yes.

Pets... NO. It was fun in Minecraft at first, but the constant animal noises drove me insane.

i have 3 ideas i hope you like them!!!                                                                                                                                 

1: Could you guys add backpack expansions. I kinda wanna hold more than 8 things. like we can upgrade it to 12 at least.

2: paint. i hate the fact every thing i build is grey. i would like it if we could make paint by containing something in a canister than grab a sample of the ground of that color then when you pull out your gun you would have rise/lower/flatten/and paint. I hope that all made sense                                                                                                        

3: more than one solar system. like 3 at least

Edited by Janice Young

4 hours ago, Janice Young said:

2: paint. i hate the fact every thing i build is grey. i would like it if we could make paint by containing something in a canister than grab a sample of the ground of that color then when you pull out your gun you would have rise/lower/flatten/and paint. I hope that all made sense 

Check out the terrain analyzer augment! 

Edited by Blind Io

22 hours ago, starionx said:

Pets... NO. It was fun in Minecraft at first, but the constant animal noises drove me insane.

Just because Astroneer might gain pets doesn't mean you need to use them.  And/or they don't need to make noises either.  Your post was rather selfish.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:39 AM, mar21 said:

Probably because they did not think ahead of time about the re-usability of save format. And creating a conversion script between them is probably not worth it since it's just pre-release update.

They should invest into proper save format that can be used in more versions than 1 for the long run without creating bugs in terrain and everything.

People seem to have forgotten that this is a pre release.  Not a released game, not official software.  Still in progress.. your saves mean nothing.

Life changes move on.  You can't save life, you only get one. That's Hardcore playing.

Everytime I open this forum, all I see is complaining.  Whining, moaning.  Oh my save game doesn't work, oh the devs they're just useless.. Game is in process of design.

Terrain 2.0 will ruin everything for all you moaners.  Because you will have to start a new game then.

As for the devs.. Keep up the good work.

5 minutes ago, Martin said:

People seem to have forgotten that this is a pre release.  Not a released game, not official software.  Still in progress.. your saves mean nothing.

Life changes move on.  You can't save life, you only get one. That's Hardcore playing.

Everytime I open this forum, all I see is complaining.  Whining, moaning.  Oh my save game doesn't work, oh the devs they're just useless.. Game is in process of design.

Terrain 2.0 will ruin everything for all you moaners.  Because you will have to start a new game then.

Complaining about complainers? Here...

1jmz3y.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, Martin said:

I just read an article about performers that hate their most popular songs.  Hate them to death, but they still perform them, because that's what people want.  SES doesn't seem to get that.  Complaints should be taken seriously, not bashed or ignored.  The final result usually ends up being mediocre and even less.  Sad to realize that's might what will happen to this otherwise good game.