20 minutes ago, Wedge said:

Perhaps a smelter inputs 4 scrap, and outputs a derivation of 2 metals... like a metal lottery, or perhaps based on the rarity of metals of the current planet. The ratio could be adjusted to 4:3.

I like this idea waaaay too much. I don't remember the .10 PAX stream talking much about scrap except for a few hints and clues so hopefully this is/will be what is implemented

On 7/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, Martin said:

It might have been more useful if you could front mount it on a large rover and drive it into the big wrecks & turn them into resources, even random ones.. 

I have a feeling we will see something like this. One thing they were still working on when they streamed from PAX was front mounting the drill head on rovers to dig tunnels or roads or something. Front mounted shredder seems like the next logical step there, maybe one day a multifunctional grinding head to make Krang's earth drill base from TMNT *fingers crossed*

I wonder if it is possible to attach the medium shredder to the crane? I assume it isn't possible, but it, or something similar might be great for picking up scrap.

It would also be interesting if there was a sort of scrap claw to pick up large objects and put them in the shredder rather than always manually doing so. I'd love to yank acid pots, or spikers out of the ground and drop them into some steely jaws of doom.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:18 AM, Haze33E said:

I like the idea of the shredders but they're tedious to use. Hauling every little piece of scrap to your base isn't viable. Not everything can be scrapped I found a large platform with a research module I was able to scrap the platform. But the not the module which fell off when I scrapped the platform. I've found medium platforms that can't be scrapped at all even though I can pick them up and was able to scrap a larger platform. Then there's the large pieces of wreckage/scrap that can't even be picked up and if destroyed with dynamite they just poof and don't break into smaller chunks. 

For shredders to be viable we need a way to pick up large scrap/wreckage, either a magnet or claw attachment for the crane. We need a better means of transporting both large and small scrap/wreckage. The wench isn't very good for transporting large items and the hook often gets stuck inside objects. I once spent like 15 minutes removing it from one of those large satellites with the solar panel. Small items are plentiful and the only way to transport them is either by hand or the wench which is overkill. We need some kind of transport module for rovers. Something that can hold a large item or lots of smaller items. We need a way to break down large wreckage/scrap into smaller pieces so they can be shredded. The power consumption for the large shredder is kind of insane and could use toning down. The small/medium shredder is pretty useless the amount of items it can scrap is pretty small.

I totally agree.  The shredder could be made to scrap anything you place near it. I too found a large platform with a research module I was able to scrap the platform but not the module. I dug a hole and put the shredder it and used my vehicle to push the module into the shredder. No go.  I finally buried it with the other stuff only to find it later in a cave I was exploring.

Look mom! Useless Junk!!

I thought the crane was used to pick up the junk, and wasted resources on it.

Actually very useful junk.. if you have the patience to harvest it.

Clearly, many do not.  Slow gaming for you then.